Dear My Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Dear My Red Sox

Dear My Red Sox, I know that we have been in a very close relationship ever since I was 6 years old, but now, today, I am feeling a bit used and abused. In fact, I’m feeling a bit coned and taken advantage of. Not only is it only you, but by all of major league baseball.  After watching last night Red Sox / Giants “baseball game”,and after watching a pitcher who had maybe one of the worst breaking pitches combined with an 89 (at best) MPH fastball, and then to combine that greatness with the so called professional hitter trying to hit said pitches, holy cow what a joke! The amount of poor choices on what pitch to or not to swing at is countless!!! It’s truly hard to believe that these guys actually practice their craft. The amount of time that they get fooled by a breaking ball is laughable! It’s as though they’ve never seen one before!! Why do we as fans just accept this crap? Honestly, I LOVE BASEBALL! And I LOVE THE BOSTON RED SOX!!! There, I said it! I really do. I don’t even mind the 4 hour Yankee/ Red Sox ESPN games. But last night tipped me over. What a load of crap disguised as a baseball game. And they wonder why NO ONE watches this junk! Really?  You really wonder why there isn’t anybody watching these games? You’ve got to be kidding me! My God, look at the empty seats each and every game. No matter what stadium you see or visit. Just look at the box scores and check the Stadium capacity VRS the actual attendance. You’ll be shocked!

The TV rating at crap as well! And they wonder why. I hope Bud DVR’d last night game, if he could stomach it, he’s soon see why! It’s a crap product! There I said it! I’ll say it again, It’s a crap product! Look at the line up of the S. F. Giants. Besides Scutaro, Posey, Lincecum and Pence, name one quality Major Leager. NONE! Then, take at glane at the old towne team. David Ross? Really (.188) Wow! What a hero. But I’m sure he’s grrrrrrrrrrrrreat in the club house! Will Middlebrooks really? (.226) An ok, potential but now, today, he should be in Pawtucket! Daniel Nava, great story with a beautiful swing, just “Swings” at bad pitches WAY too often! Mike Napoli, (.246) is it just me or did 99% of his RBi’s come in April? Hmmmmmmmm.  Should be DFA’d by now! Let’s move on!!!!!! Shane Victorino has been great! Jacoby Ellsbury is a good player, not by ANY means a great player, but a good player, certainly not a 60 million dollar player. Not to say that some idiot won’t offer and pay him that. Then there’s Jarrod Saltalamacchia, I actually like him and wish he just wouldn’t swing from his ass on EVERY pitch! When he doesn’t, he has a beautiful swing, and he is very productive. But! Alas, he does swing from his ass on WAY to many pitches! Whatever happed to choking up, trying to just get on base? (I know, ESPN doesn’t like to show “Getting on base plays) only da Homah!!!!  Whatever happed to a bunt, the hit and run, being able to hit the cut off guy, wow, sad but I could go on and on… and you wonder why no one is wating these games? I don’t wonder at all!  I just don’t have time for the bull pen, or the use of it by our Cowboy John Wayne. Who I loved the acquisition from the Blue Jays. Now, I’m seeing why they fought so hard to keep him, THEY DIDN’T fight so hard!!!!!! 

Did I say that I LOVE THE BOSTON RED SOX!!! I do! But I believe a slide is in the works here, I don’t want ANOTHER one, but it is! They do not have the hitting, they do not have the bull pen to prevent one! (Koji aside!) It’s that simple! Ben needs to get off his ass and make a move or two NOW! Today!!!!!! Sorry about the rant!!! But I feel better! Add words of wisdom if you want to!  Well that’s all I’ve got for now! With Much Love Joe

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Dear My Red Sox

You lost me at the part where Middlebrooks (hitting .452/1.184 since being recalled, including 2 hits last night) should be in Pawtucket.

Also not sure what kind of DVR Bud has that he could have seen Napoli playing in this series, or how Ellsbury's coming FA contract reflects on the quality of last night's lineup...but other than that, that was beautiful.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

OP fell into the deep end of the pool, or maybe jozee76 just doesn't keep up with what's going on with the team.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

I liked your post Jozee... 

Just how I felt when I heard this morning(after watching 7 innings,  til midnite) that our boys blew it once again.  The late season swoon is in full effect,  once again. 

Where was Papi last nite?

Where has Pedie been for the last month?

Who are these supposed BP arms we employ? Stiffs.

Thank God Napoli only got the one year contract...  he's toast.

Ahh well...  it's only baseball.  Deep breaths.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to jozee76's comment:

Dear My Red Sox, I know that we have been in a very close relationship ever since I was 6 years old, but now, today, I am feeling a bit used and abused. In fact, I’m feeling a bit coned and taken advantage of. Not only is it only you, but by all of major league baseball.  After watching last night Red Sox / Giants “baseball game”,and after watching a pitcher who had maybe one of the worst breaking pitches combined with an 89 (at best) MPH fastball, and then to combine that greatness with the so called professional hitter trying to hit said pitches, holy cow what a joke! The amount of poor choices on what pitch to or not to swing at is countless!!! It’s truly hard to believe that these guys actually practice their craft. The amount of time that they get fooled by a breaking ball is laughable! It’s as though they’ve never seen one before!! Why do we as fans just accept this crap? Honestly, I LOVE BASEBALL! And I LOVE THE BOSTON RED SOX!!! There, I said it! I really do. I don’t even mind the 4 hour Yankee/ Red Sox ESPN games. But last night tipped me over. What a load of crap disguised as a baseball game. And they wonder why NO ONE watches this junk! Really?  You really wonder why there isn’t anybody watching these games? You’ve got to be kidding me! My God, look at the empty seats each and every game. No matter what stadium you see or visit. Just look at the box scores and check the Stadium capacity VRS the actual attendance. You’ll be shocked!

The TV rating at crap as well! And they wonder why. I hope Bud DVR’d last night game, if he could stomach it, he’s soon see why! It’s a crap product! There I said it! I’ll say it again, It’s a crap product! Look at the line up of the S. F. Giants. Besides Scutaro, Posey, Lincecum and Pence, name one quality Major Leager. NONE! Then, take at glane at the old towne team. David Ross? Really (.188) Wow! What a hero. But I’m sure he’s grrrrrrrrrrrrreat in the club house! Will Middlebrooks really? (.226) An ok, potential but now, today, he should be in Pawtucket! Daniel Nava, great story with a beautiful swing, just “Swings” at bad pitches WAY too often! Mike Napoli, (.246) is it just me or did 99% of his RBi’s come in April? Hmmmmmmmm.  Should be DFA’d by now! Let’s move on!!!!!! Shane Victorino has been great! Jacoby Ellsbury is a good player, not by ANY means a great player, but a good player, certainly not a 60 million dollar player. Not to say that some idiot won’t offer and pay him that. Then there’s Jarrod Saltalamacchia, I actually like him and wish he just wouldn’t swing from his butt on EVERY pitch! When he doesn’t, he has a beautiful swing, and he is very productive. But! Alas, he does swing from his butt on WAY to many pitches! Whatever happed to choking up, trying to just get on base? (I know, ESPN doesn’t like to show “Getting on base plays) only da Homah!!!!  Whatever happed to a bunt, the hit and run, being able to hit the cut off guy, wow, sad but I could go on and on… and you wonder why no one is wating these games? I don’t wonder at all!  I just don’t have time for the bull pen, or the use of it by our Cowboy John Wayne. Who I loved the acquisition from the Blue Jays. Now, I’m seeing why they fought so hard to keep him, THEY DIDN’T fight so hard!!!!!! 

Did I say that I LOVE THE BOSTON RED SOX!!! I do! But I believe a slide is in the works here, I don’t want ANOTHER one, but it is! They do not have the hitting, they do not have the bull pen to prevent one! (Koji aside!) It’s that simple! Ben needs to get off his butt and make a move or two NOW! Today!!!!!! Sorry about the rant!!! But I feel better! Add words of wisdom if you want to!  Well that’s all I’ve got for now! With Much Love Joe

=======================================

Wow...I was forced to change your post word a-- to butt as it wouldn't accept my post. Hmmm, isn't the word a Donkey ?

Joe---I FEEL YOUR PAIN and I have been a Sox fan since the 1940s. Loved your tongue & cheek post...it's like a boxer who has been tagged hard but smiles to indicate he's not hurt. You and many of us are hurt and humor, I find as I age, mends many wounds.

I was so hoping to go to AT & T park today looking for the sweep. My tickets are $192.75 each (ugh!). But I will wear my Boston Strong t-shirt & "Bee" on my cap & hope for a 2 out of 3 as we haven't won a series in a couple of weeks. My wife will wear a SF cap so I don't get beat up(I'm a former Marine...not worried about it---HA!). Bet you can't wait for the Dodger series if all those mediocre Giant players you mentioned don't have a quality player(not this year but they were...I'd love to have Posey as our catcher and too bad Scutaro couldn't play 3rd as maybe he'd still been with us).

OK...keep up the sence of humor. Returning home from the game I hope I'm not tempted to do a swan dive from the GG bridge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

You lost me at the part where Middlebrooks (hitting .452/1.184 since being recalled, including 2 hits last night) should be in Pawtucket.

Also not sure what kind of DVR Bud has that he could have seen Napoli playing in this series, or how Ellsbury's coming FA contract reflects on the quality of last night's lineup...but other than that, that was beautiful.

Middlebrooks has been a tick better since being back, true, but last night first hit was certainly no hit!!!!! I'm sure Bud does not even know what a DVR is!!!!! Thanks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

At those prices hope the game goes 19 innings. 10 dollars an inning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It's not just baseball.

It's all of major league sports.

The big money has ruined it.

#1 Too much T.V. coverage has turned clowns like Chad Ochocinco, Nick Swisher and Zdeno Chara into celebrities, guys with really marginal talent but BIG market value in the ratings. One has lots of exposure on Court T.V. , the other has always got a goofy grin on his face, and the last is just a big, clumsy goof , who is always capable of smashing a smaller guy through the glass. ( I won't mention NASCAR and Danica Patrick , a pretty young thing ...great for ratings, but hasn't accomplished sh*t on a racetrack yet, probably never will).

#2 Big fat contracts that make owners, GMs and players pay more attention to whether a guy gets his "scheduled day off" and "doesn't exceed his pitch count" ...rather than who wins the game.

#3 Expansion to too many weak markets. I mean really....Tampas Bay?...Colorado?...and who ever thought in 1974 ( when Guy Lafleur and Gil Perreault were leading scorers in the NHL) that the NHL would have teams in Phoenix and Nashville?

#4 Seasons too long, games too long....why...advertisers want more bang for the buck...more games...longer games....MORE COMMERCIALS!!!

#5 Wild Card teams....pretty soon sub .500 teams will make the playoffs! ....and they used to make fun of the NHL when 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs. Sure it was lunacy, a desperate attempt to draw American fans away from baseball and Nascar, after the Chicago Black Hawks and Detroit Red Wings get bounced by the Canadian powerhouses of the 70s and 80s ( Montreal, Edmonton). Hey, it worked! Washington Capitals fans could watch their team well into late spring and sometimes early summer. NFL was first to catch on, don't the playoffs last almost as long as the regular season now?

#6 Cable T.V, Satellite ....you can follow the team of your choice. You can be a Yankees fan in Toronto....or Tuscon, or Rancho Cuchamonga. Makes it easy to change your affiliation if your team stinks.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

It's not just baseball.

#1 Too much T.V. coverage has turned clowns like Chad Ochocinco, Nick Swisher and Zdeno Chara into celebrities, guys with really marginal talent but BIG market value in the ratings. One has lots of exposure on Court T.V. , the other has always got a goofy grin on his face, and the last is just a big, clumsy goof , who is always capable of smashing a smaller guy through the glass. ( I won't mention NASCAR and Danica Patrick , a pretty young thing ...great for ratings, but hasn't accomplished sh*t on a racetrack yet, probably never will).

#2 Big fat contracts that make owners, GMs and players pay more attention to whether a guy gets his "scheduled day off" and "doesn't exceed his pitch count" ...rather than who wins the game.

#3 Expansion to too many weak markets. I mean really....Tampas Bay?...Colorado?...and who ever thought in 1974 ( when Guy Lafleur and Gil Perreault were leading scorers in the NHL) that the NHL would have teams in Phoenix and Nashville?

#4 Seasons too long, games too long....why...advertisers want more bang for the buck...more games...longer games....MORE COMMERCIALS!!!

#5 Wild Card teams....pretty soon sub .500 teams will make the playoffs! ....and they used to make fun of the NHL when 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs. Sure it was lunacy, a desperate attempt to draw American fans away from baseball and Nascar, after the Chicago Black Hawks and Detroit Red Wings get bounced by the Canadian powerhouses of the 70s and 80s ( Montreal, Edmonton). Hey, it worked! Washington Capitals fans could watch their team well into late spring and sometimes early summer. NFL was first to catch on, don't the playoffs last almost as long as the regular season now?

#6 Cable T.V, Satellite ....you can follow the team of your choice. You can be a Yankees fan in Toronto....or Tuscon, or Rancho Cuchamonga. Makes it easy to change your affiliation if your team stinks.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

Agree 1000%

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It's not just baseball.

Wow.  Hard to believe I can disagree with anyone on so many points.

1.  Too much TV coverage?   Every team has carried every single game in its home market for at least 4o years, so this is nothing new.  Without TV, I couldn't watch the Sox at all despite being a fan since 1949 when I was reading box scores in the Stars and Stripes in Mannheim, Germany, where I was living as an Army dependent.

2. Contracts are fat because the reserve clause is gone and players get their share of the profits. 

3.  Expansion is inevitable when you have a good product.  

4.  162 game season is like 50+ years old.  Where have you been?

5.  Wild card teams are terrific with almost no risk losers can get in the playoffs.  2004 WS champs  Boston were wild card.  

6.  See my comments in  #1 above.  I bitterly resent your assertion I am not a Sox fan.  FWIW, I was born at Fort Banks, now gone, just outside of Boston, but what really sealed the deal was listening to Curt Gowdy call Sox games in the summers of 1953 and 1954 when we lived in w,Springfield, MA, while my dad was in Korea. I later served 31 years and rarely got to see a Sox game, but that all chaned when MLB packages became available.  Shame on you for suggesting distant fans are somehow unworthy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Max, you are reading too much into my little rant.

My #6 has to do more with fairweather fans than with people who lived away from home. I never meant to imply otherwise, sorry you took it that way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

It's not just baseball.

1.  Too much TV coverage?   Every team has carried every single game in its home market for at least 4o years, so this is nothing new.  Without TV, I couldn't watch the Sox at all despite being a fan since 1949 when I was reading box scores in the Stars and Stripes in Mannheim, Germany, where I was living as an Army dependent.

2. Contracts are fat because the reserve clause is gone and players get their share of the profits. 

5.  Wild card teams are terrific with almost no risk losers can get in the playoffs.  2004 WS champs  Boston were wild card.  

6.  See my comments in  #1 above.  I bitterly resent your assertion I am not a Sox fan.  FWIW, I was born at Fort Banks, now gone, just outside of Boston, but what really sealed the deal was listening to Curt Gowdy call Sox games in the summers of 1953 and 1954 when we lived in w,Springfield, MA, while my dad was in Korea. I later served 31 years and rarely got to see a Sox game, but that all chaned when MLB packages became available.  Shame on you for suggesting distant fans are somehow unworthy.

To me, it's not so much the TV coverage, but more that coverage on FOX, ESPN and others. It's just a HOMAH fest on every highlight.  Where they just night after night and day after day bombard you with the Robinson Cano's of the world hitting home run after home run. Like this is the only part of the game ever shown on a replay. I shudder to think of just how little interest there might be without all of this hyped up coverage. I love baseball, like I said, I really do, but (maybe it's just the hangover from last night game) but baseball is SO freaking boring! If we had maybe just 18 teams (I know, I know silly, but bear with me for a moment), but 18 teams, think of the rosters of these 18 teams. We'd NEVER miss a Yankee/Red Sox game ever again. So it's really not the game so much, it's the patheticly watered down product shoved down our collective throats night after night and day after day.........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Shane Vic:  Welcome to the Boston Market where when it is officially a pennant race, the questions get tougher.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Middlebrooks has been a tick better since being back, true, but last night first hit was certainly no hit!!!!! I'm sure Bud does not even know what a DVR is!!!!! Thanks!

A tick better? seriously? Yes, he should be in Pawtucket with a horrible BA of .450 since returning. What are they thinking. Bring Holt back up!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

It's not just baseball.

Z -- I got to ask. Do you get any enjoyment from sports at all. I sense you don't. So many of your posts have this negative, cynical bent to them so I don't really understand why you follow sports at all.

Yes, big money has brought negatives into sports that might not have been there in the past, but the good old days weren't always as good as you might think. More on this later.

First to your points:

1. Yes TV has created a lot of stars in many arenas -- not just sports -- out of medicority, but I don't understand our examples. Chad Johnson actually was a very good WR in his prime. His antics elevated his notoriety because of TV, but to say he was a marginal talent is inaccurate. You really think Swisher is some kind of ratings generator -- REALLY? And even if he his, by all accounts, he's a good guy and has been a decent player -- more than just marginal. As for Chara, your analysis of him is so far off base. Yes he's physical and he's big, but he uses his size effectively and has been a shutdown defenseman and not simply because he's big. He does have talent. If it were that easy, gee, let's put anyone who's 6 feet 9 and put him on skates. Just because a guy is tall or big, it doesn't make him less talented.

And as for Patrick, you comment reeks of sexism. First, she did win a race in the IndyCar series. She's qualified faster than many other drivers on both circuits. Whether she wins much on NASCAR, we'll see. But take a look. There are a lot of guys who race for years on NASCAR or Indy who don't accomplish anything yet race for years -- Joe Nemechek anyone. What -- she shouldn't have the same right as a guy to race for years. And if she uses her sex appeal for endorsements, so what? Don't fool yourself, male athletes do that too. I don't understand why you think it's a bad thing.

2. Yes big contracts can lead to some of the cliches that are often spewed these days, but you overstate this so much. GMs and players DON'T pay more attention to days off than to winning. Maybe there are an exception or two when it comes to players but again you overstate it way beyond reason. And as for pitch counts -- sure, let's go back to the old days when managers would run a pitcher's arms into the ground. TAKE A LOOK some time at some of your "heroes" from the past you claim to be "workhorses" and see how short their careers were -- at least in terms of being effective. Yeah, they were good ol' days all right. 

Do you really thing a GM or manager or coach who thinks more of winning "today's game" and cares less about the health of a player is a good thing? Teams ABUSED athletes in the past. Maybe they really don't care about the individual today, but at least they're protecting their investment.

3. Maybe there's been too much expansion, but in general, I don't see the harm in trying to expand product into new markets. Was expanding baseball from basically the NE  to west of the Mississiippi bad. I agree that perhaps some expansion went too far. On the other hand, as someone who not by choice moved from Boston to Florida, I love that I have the chance to see my Bruins when they go to Tampa. Expansion might actually keep more fans into the game.

4. This might be your most inaccurate and cynical comment yet. Seasons too long because of commercials? Umm ... baseball didn't have much of a TV presence when they expanded from 154 games to 162. And advertisers don't want games too long because they'll lose viewers. They actually want people to see their commericals, not changing the channel because the game lasts too long.

Now if you want to simply say that expanding playoff or even regular-season (in other sports) is to generate more revenue in general, that is accurate. I've never had a problem with the regular seasons of any sports. I will say that in all sports, I'd like to see a best-of-5 for first-round series, rather than best -of-7.

5.When it comes to wild card, are you talking simply about baseball. (There have been sub-.500 teams in the playoffs in other sports for years. The Houston Rockets were 40-42 in the regular season when the Celtics beat them for the title in 1981.) If you are talking about baseball, I don't really like the second wild card. I don't mind the first wild card. But why is it such a problem to try things to generate interest in the season late in the year by keeping more teams in the race. Really -- how intersting was baseball back in the so-call good old days when the Yankees were dominating. Take a look at attendance figures. 

6. You really think Cable/Satellite TV is a bad thing? Mind-boggling. Not everyone has the luxury in staying in areas where they grew up and grew allegiance to teams. To me, that reeks of elitism. You think fans should only watch their team if they live in the area.

When my family moved to Florida, I was stuck for years hoping the Sox would be on Monday night baseball or the NBC Game of the Week. When ESPN started showing more games, I had the opportunity ot see them more. You claim it make it easier to change affiliation if your team stinks. Well, fans like would simply stop following the sport if there wasn't satellite TV. At least, it keeps them in the sport.

I'm not one who accepts change easily, but gee -- you seem see only the negative with changes. Yes, TV and money have added elements to sports in specific (life in general) that aren't always good. On the other hand, it has created a lot positives. If you look, attendance in baseball started going up dramtically when TV began showing more games. I don't think it was a coincidence. 

More fans and more games mean more jobs for vendors. Look at all the jobs sports creates because of TV -- production, making commercials, selling so hated advertisements, the TV shows that talk about sports, all the sports memorabelia that's made and sold because of high interest in sports. All those companies that make money off sports need accountants, management, workers, salesmen, etc. 

And you think all this is a bad thing?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

It's not just baseball.

Good post. You were more succinct than my long-winded response.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Zillagod, OK, peace.  I apologize for over-reacting.  But, despite some of the undeniably bad, excessive coverage, overall I like the product.  I hate the 4 hour games too, but MLB seems unwiling to speed things up.   To me occasional days off make a lot of sense given the ridiculous time length of the average game.  Counting pitches is based on experience, not mollycoddling, and almost every team carries 7 relievers and a total of 12 pitchers because experience shows you need all of them.  That's almost half of every MLB team devoted to one position, and that of course also adds to the time length of games.  

But the core experience of a  pennant race to me is still very real.  I also disagree with the OP that the current Sox team is somehow unworthy.  Fewer stars this year--just 2 on the all star team because Buchholz was on the DL--but still some good players thoughout the line up.  We're all mad today because the Sox could have won the first two despite short sleep.  In other words, a team worth rooting for.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Max, you are reading too much into my little rant.

My #6 has to do more with fairweather fans than with people who lived away from home. I never meant to imply otherwise, sorry you took it that way.

I live in northern virginia now but grew up in boston and spend many a happy day at fenway.  I get my games on mlb and see most of my games at camden yards.  I, in no way, took #6 as an insult.

I also agree that there are too many teams, the talent is spread way too thin.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Zillagod, OK, peace.  I apologize for over-reacting.  But, despite some of the undeniably bad, excessive coverage, overall I like the product.  I hate the 4 hour games too, but MLB seems unwiling to speed things up.   To me occasional days off make a lot of sense given the ridiculous time length of the average game.  Counting pitches is based on experience, not mollycoddling, and almost every team carries 7 relievers and a total of 12 pitchers because experience shows you need all of them.  That's almost half of every MLB team devoted to one position, and that of course also adds to the time length of games.  

But the core experience of a  pennant race to me is still very real.  I also disagree with the OP that the current Sox team is somehow unworthy.  Fewer stars this year--just 2 on the all star team because Buchholz was on the DL--but still some good players thoughout the line up.  We're all mad today because the Sox could have won the first two despite short sleep.  In other words, a team worth rooting for.

I was watching a 1980's game on tv the other day, I also have a dvd of the second to the last day at fenway in 1967.  I was at that game with my family, what a day!

Back in the day batters stayed in the box and pitchers, for the most part, stayed on the mound.  In the words of eck, it was a beautiful thing.  The game moved right along.  One of my main gripes is that between each pitch some batters fix their gloves, walk away from the plate and so on to slow the game down.  Same can be said for the pitchers.

I do think the talent is watered down.  It will never happen but it would be great to go back to one division for each league.  Consentrated talent, the best team of the year would go the WS.

My dad was a hard core, I mean hard core fan.  He was born in 1923 and lived through many, many bad years but he listened to every game on the radio and watched them on tv on the weekends.

He worked at fenway as a kid and brought his family and his grandchilren to fenway.  He played ball and could have stayed out of WWll because he was good but he insisted on going to war.

I tell you all this because I want you to know he lived and breath the red sox but he had two major gripes.

One was the swing for the wall others here have mentioned.  He would get so frustrated when a base hit would do but the batter was looking for a homer. Just meet the ball he would say.

The other gripe he had were the saleries.  He simply got fed up.  He died in 1991, I can only imagine what he would say today.  He was a simple man and thought this salery thing was way out of control.  Boy, did he see the writing on the wall!!!

He shocked us all when he said he wasn't going to follow the sox anymore because he was so disgusted.  Dad not follow the sox, no way that was going to happen!  But that's how fed up he was with the grossly overpaid players.

Well, we never found out if he would have given up on his life long love because he died of a sudden heart attack at the age of 68.  He was buried on fenway's opening day so I think he wanted to let us know he was still a sox fan ;0)

Sorry if I am all over the place.  

To sum it up:

Too many teams

Contracts out of control

Batters should stay in the batters box and pitchers should stay on the mound.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Guaranteed contracts very bad!!!!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

And you really got the call on Middlebrooks right too, or did you ignore hism2 run dinger just now.

Baseball is a sort, but it is also big business.  Very few fans go to games to watch owners, GMs or managers.   The players get big contracts because they and only they are the product and because MLB overais profitable.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Middy should def be sent down after that HR...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

And you really got the call on Middlebrooks right too, or did you ignore hism2 run dinger just now.

Baseball is a sort, but it is also big business.  Very few fans go to games to watch owners, GMs or managers.   The players get big contracts because they and only they are the product and because MLB overais profitable.

Players are overpaid because of free agency IMHO

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts