1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Re: Dear RS fans...

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:

It is "due respect" not "do respect".

Really?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Dear Red Sox Fans,
    I'm with Jim, and please fire Bobby Valentine at the conclusion of this season.

People really think the Sox will just fill some gaps and be competitive next year. Too many gaps to fill. They suck, and the manager is a big reason why they suck, and I think they are going to have him around for 2013...so that means LL and BC both equally suck. 

The Sox have blown up a talented team. And the current lot is absolutely minor league or even  Bad News Bears In Breaking Training territory minus a Kelly Leek.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Dear Red Sox Fans,
    I'm with Jim, and please fire Bobby Valentine at the conclusion of this season.

People really think the Sox will just fill some gaps and be competitive next year. Too many gaps to fill. They suck, and the manager is a big reason why they suck, and I think they are going to have him around for 2013...so that means LL and BC both equally suck. 

The Sox have blown up a talented team. And the current lot is absolutely minor league or even  Bad News Bears In Breaking Training territory minus a Kelly Leek.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Not sure what's out there, but I do have confidence that Ben C. will make a few decent moves.  Shore up the SR!  Fill Short with Ciriaco???  Trade for a good second teir 1st baseman.  Land a solid to very good second teir RF.  Catcher???  Big question in my mind.  We need a guy that does his homework behind the plate!!!  Lava has the brains, but little experience.  Salty?  Sure he has pop, but does he really do his homework before the games?  I'm not convinced that he does?  That question still haunts me visa vi this SR???  Is the problem all about "the toxic culture," or is there a real problem behind the plate to boot???  This could be THE BIG QUESTION MARK in patching a decent team together!!!  Gotta land 1 solid veteran SP with a no BS demeanor to anchor this SR!!!  HUGE!

p.s.   We do those things in the off season, & we compete!  We'll have to fill a few holes in the BP also.  Especially if ACE totally melts down.  I hope he keeps it together, as he would be an excellent long relief guy again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Yeah I'm happy. But then again I take a mature long view of the team and don't start threads lecturing other people because I'm feeling sorry for myself. The work isn't done yet but I much prefer this to the bloated overpaid underperfomers we had before. 

You do realize even if we don't make the trade we are not in the playoff hunt whatsoever right? 

So yeah, instead of winning .300 of our games we'd be winning .450. Awesome, yeah, that would have been great. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Typical over reaction thread

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Did we hire Kraft and BB? 
    Because the same FO that created this mess is the same one we are relying on to turn it 180 degrees and make them into a powerhouse next year? Where are the great players coming from?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Now that the hated Beckett is gone and the kids are playing are you all happy?
    This past tewo weeks is what next year will be all apout.

SORRY TO ASK BUT WERE YOU NOT AN ADVOCATE OF BEING "HAPPY" WITH THE PLAYERS THAT WERE TRADED ???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

what, you don't like small market baseball?

you dont like AAA "kids" starting for your MLB team?

come on now, havent we all been screaming for months to let the kids play???

small market baseball blows.  i expect my big market team to spend the $$ and get the studs.

or they can simply lower ticket prices by 50% and drop the price of a beer to $2.50.  Give NESN to the cable/sat companies for free.  small market here we come!  perennial cellar dwellars with the occasional year of a run at the playoffs when 1 or 2 of all the "prospects" actually can perform at the major league level in the big bad al east.

yes!  small market baseball!  love having kids with numbers in the 80's on their backs starting in the infield on my small market team.  why spend big bucks on large contracts for proven MLB talent?  the owners sure could use that money!  or will they actually give sox fans a salary next year if the payroll is only $80MM?  hmmm....i hope i get my check.  i recently moved so i better send Cmdr Data my new address to make sure the check gets to me.  i mean, after all, if they going to save all that money, play "prospects" everday, i know they will give profit back to fans.  wait, L's dont count as money, do they???

enjoy the fun ladies and gentleman.  the only pleasure i am getting out of it is to see how this plays out for all you "experts" that have been whining to cut payroll and play the "kids".  to trade proven talent for whoknowswhat prospects.
    sigh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArkaSox. Show ArkaSox's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

what, you don't like small market baseball?

you dont like AAA "kids" starting for your MLB team?

come on now, havent we all been screaming for months to let the kids play???

small market baseball blows.  i expect my big market team to spend the $$ and get the studs.

or they can simply lower ticket prices by 50% and drop the price of a beer to $2.50.  Give NESN to the cable/sat companies for free.  small market here we come!  perennial cellar dwellars with the occasional year of a run at the playoffs when 1 or 2 of all the "prospects" actually can perform at the major league level in the big bad al east.

yes!  small market baseball!  love having kids with numbers in the 80's on their backs starting in the infield on my small market team.  why spend big bucks on large contracts for proven MLB talent?  the owners sure could use that money!  or will they actually give sox fans a salary next year if the payroll is only $80MM?  hmmm....i hope i get my check.  i recently moved so i better send Cmdr Data my new address to make sure the check gets to me.  i mean, after all, if they going to save all that money, play "prospects" everday, i know they will give profit back to fans.  wait, L's dont count as money, do they???

enjoy the fun ladies and gentleman.  the only pleasure i am getting out of it is to see how this plays out for all you "experts" that have been whining to cut payroll and play the "kids".  to trade proven talent for whoknowswhat prospects.
    sigh.

How True, How True!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Are you saying you want Beckett back even though his 2012 ERA was 5.23?  Shedding his, AGon, and CC's contracts was/is the cost of being able to get a better rotation.  I hated losing AGon, my favorite Sox player, but he was the essential pot sweetener to make Beckett and CC's contracts acceptable to the Dodgers.

Still a lot of work for Ben C to do, no question.  But chances are Ortiz and Middlebrooks will both be back in 2013.  If Ells can get back to at least 2009 form, Pedroia can still hit, etc, the lineup should be OK.  Better would be one big bat at 1B or in the OF.   But a good lineup will not work if the rotation doesn't get fixed. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Are you saying you want Beckett back even though his 2012 ERA was 5.23?  Shedding his, AGon, and CC's contracts was/is the cost of being able to get a better rotation.  I hated losing AGon, my favorite Sox player, but he was the essential pot sweetener to make Beckett and CC's contracts acceptable to the Dodgers.

Still a lot of work for Ben C to do, no question.  But chances are Ortiz and Middlebrooks will both be back in 2013.  If Ells can get back to at least 2009 form, Pedroia can still hit, etc, the lineup should be OK.  Better would be one big bat at 1B or in the OF.   But a good lineup will not work if the rotation doesn't get fixed. 

Hopefully Ortiz gets signed. If not maybe Lavarnway can be dh/backup catcher. With the money saved on contracts from the trade they should be able to sign someone who can hit, so the line up should be o.k.
    You're right about the pitching, though. Next year's free agent crop looks pretty thin and I don't think selling the farm for a couple of starters is a good idea. Maybe they get lucky with some guys they already have. In any case we're probably looking at at least a season or two before they're in contention again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Beckett Yes I wish he was still here. Despite the hate and BS about being a cnacer. If he had the same run support as Clay he'd have a better record than Clay. Last year he pitched the last 6 games on a sprained ankle.
    The C & B stuff was "BS" as Joe Maddon stated after it happend. He went on to say it or something like it happens in every club house.

Many here say they now have the money to get players. Ladies and Gents look at the FA they are minimal at best. With maybe a half dozen back end SP and the same RP equal to what we currently have. There are onlt two playes IMHO of worth as FA Napoli and Hamilton. As stated Napoli can probably be had for a couple of years. Hamilton will be looking for 5 years +.

So I have shown what I see available.

Would anyone who says they have money to spend and are looking for 2nd tier players take a shot at who you thik they will sign. BTW 2nd tier players do not win consistently.
    So fill the holes at SS, 1B, LF and RF.  I don't see Ross resigning if all things are equal. Of course offering him a bigger contract may keep him here.

Also if you think they can trade take a stab at it but remember do not kill the future and if you want the King you had better be ready to kill the future and pay BIG BUCKS which is exactly what you said you were glad they got rid of in THE trade.
    Which IMHO was dumb.

Lastly if you were a FA would you sign here considering the state of the franchise right now??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

[QUOTE]

Short term pain for long term gain, after rooting for 46 years, I am ok with it, YES!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2014 In House Players Only:

C Lava/  Swihart/ Vazquez/ Butler
    1B T Shaw (Gomez/Sands- see DH)
    2B Pedey/ Ciriaco/ DeJesus/ Coyle
    SS Bogaerts/ Iggy/ Marrero/Vinicio/ Lin
    3B Middlebrooks/ Cecchini/ Valencia
    LF Linares/Nava/ Jacobs
    CF Bradley/Kalish/ Lin
    RF Brentz/Sweeney/de la Cruz
    DH Gomez/Sands

SP Lester/ Buch/ Lackey/ Doub/ Morales/ Barnes/ de la Rosa/ Webster/ Owens/Ranaudo/ Britton/ Pimental/ Stewart/ Workman/ Light/ Buttrey

RP Bailey/ Aceves/ Breslow/ Bard/ Tazawa/ Miller/ Mortensen/ Melancon/ Atchison/ Carpenter/ Beato/ Wislon

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

bump

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

bump past the idiot

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Ok so let us look at this formidable list

2014 In House Players Only:

C Lava/ Swihart/ Vazquez/ Butler
    None have any good MLB expirence

1B T Shaw (Gomez/Sands- see DH)None have any good MLB expirence

2B Pedey/ Ciriaco/ DeJesus/ Coyle 2 have and 2 don't any good MLB expirence

SS Bogaerts/ Iggy/ Marrero/Vinicio/ Lin one has and 3 don't have any good MLB expirence
    3B Middlebrooks/ Cecchini/ ValenciaTwo have no MLB expirence

LF Linares/Nava/ Jacobs Two have no MLB expirence and one is mediocre

CF Bradley/Kalish/ Lin Two have no MLB expirence and one is mediocre

RF Brentz/Sweeney/de la CruzTwo have no MLB expirence and one is mediocre

DH Gomez/Sands None have any good MLB expirence

? = questionable 0 = no expirence
    SP Lester?/ Buch/ Lackey?/ Doub?/ Morales?/ Barnes0/ de la Rosa0/ Webster0/ Owens0/Ranaudo0/ Britton0/ Pimental?/ Stewart?/ Workman0/ Light/0 Buttrey0

RP Bailey/ Aceves?/ Breslow/ Bard?/ Tazawa/ Miller?/ Mortensen/ Melancon/ Atchison/ Carpenter?/ Beato?/ Wislon0

So you wish to believe this group of no expirence snd questionable players are going to make this team a contender. 57 names (duplicates) 32 have no expirence and 10 very questionable pitchers.

DOUBLE BUMP BUMP past the complete fool.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I dont think Jim was implying that the sox will go into 2013 currently constructed.  I think he's just pointing out to the downside of going young to the people on this forum who kept screaming, "dump the vets , play the kids"

I agree w Jim.  The far and away most successful team since 1990 has been the Yankees.  Why some posters want to follow the Padres model (cheap at every position) instead of the Yankees model is beyond me.

There is an unmistakable correlation between payroll and success.  My personal belief is that the people who want to go young are more in love with watching home grown players develop than they are with winning.  Thats fine.  However, if you want to develop all of your own players, you cannot expect to do any better than teh Twins, Padres, Pirates because that is what they do.

If you expect to field a consistently competitive team operating as a small market team than you are pipedreaming.  Other teams have scouts and professional hitting instructors that are just as good as ours.  If you want to follwo the Pirates model, you can expect similar success.

I'm not saying to go out and spend , spend , spend.  I'm just saying that the whole notion that we should look internally and seek to become a small market team is rediculous.  We are a big market team and should therefore operate as a big market team.

Businesses should exploit their competitive advanatages.  The Red Sox are a business and their competitive advantage is that they are in a big market.  We should operate as a big market team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

4 out of 5 of the last world series winners had at least TWO core players who were signed to enormous contracts.

Small market teams do not consistently beat big market teams.  Once in a while, sure.  But over a 10 year period, the big marekt teams will have more success.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

Beckett Yes I wish he was still here. Despite the hate and BS about being a cnacer. If he had the same run support as Clay he'd have a better record than Clay. Last year he pitched the last 6 games on a sprained ankle.
    The C & B stuff was "BS" as Joe Maddon stated after it happend. He went on to say it or something like it happens in every club house. 

I wish I knew to me it was the wrong trade.

so why did they trade agonz

I mean what did they get for beckett

how many teams wanted him

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

If they sign anything of value it will have to be for a big contract and several years.

Guys that sign for one or two are not game changers.
    Beltre was an exception.

Now if you look at what is available Mike Napoli and Hamilton are the only value players out there. Napoli maybe you can get for two years, Hamilton will be big money 5 years.

After that there is nothing that will change the game.
    There are a couple of pitchers but not much.

As for trades what can they give up to get a game changing player. With out ruining the future.

stay young and play for the future.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

It had to be done..... Just very thrilled that Ben C. were able to pull it off .........  Good old fashioned horse trading !!  What were the Dodgers thinking !!!!

Dodgers are the 2000-2009 Yankees of the West now when it comes to payroll indifference. They are up to $196 mil. penciled in so far for 2013. They will laugh at the luxury tax and revenue sharing penalties. Apparently their new TV contact with the Regional Sports Network will be a huge cash cow. They have no shame of becoming the best team that money can buy. They can afford to be patient with Crawford and realize that Beckett is not the clubhouse cancer that the Boston media invented.

yes and i also said this a couple weeks ago on the eve of the deal.

yankees will cry how unfair it will be with what dodgers can do financially

Sections
Shortcuts