Death By a Thousand Cuts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Death By a Thousand Cuts

This forum is unreadable.  Fix it maybe?  The version you guys had back in the stone age way way better than this one. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Death By a Thousand Cuts

Actually this is a case that we posters can help out while they fix the kinks by deleting extra lines when we reply. I've been doing that, leaving just the pertinent info I'm commenting on, and it helps.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Actually this is a case that we posters can help out while they fix the kinks by deleting extra lines when we reply. I've been doing that, leaving just the pertinent info I'm commenting on, and it helps.

+1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No Duh I say to them... cannot believe people cannot figure that out or maybe they are just that selfish

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes. But we should not have to do that. I know of no other forum where this kind of formatting issue exists. Its something the developers need to fix.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes. But we should not have to do that. I know of no other forum where this kind of formatting issue exists. Its something the developers need to fix.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. My point is not "oh gee we can do things ourselves" My point is that my 13 year old nephews Minecraft server is set up better than this one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

it is terrible right now.  even without the "white noise" just a basic post is almost unreadable. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The old original forums was far better, this version is horrendous.  But it's not just the forums, the whole website is terrible.  BDC clearly went on the cheap creating it.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

As DAD would say........  "SON, our people are working on it, please look at the POSITIVES & not the NEGATIVES"  !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

My thought exactly. If they want us to help with daily programming, they can send us all a daily check.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

"SON, our people are working on it..."

That would explain why this site is such a disaster.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

A couple of points here..

First and foremost, this is a free site.  In spite of some of the attitude I've seen here, we're not entitled to anything.  It's not like we're actually PAYING for something and not getting it.

Next point:  BDC recognized that there were issues with this free site and went about trying to fix those issues.  Ok, it's taking a while and I'm truly as frustrated as many here are.  But BDC is making an effort to make it better.  Otherwise they would have left it alone.  

If you look at the banner at the top of the page you'll see that it says, "Beta Release".  To me that means it's a pre-release of the final product, a release that was put out to find the bugs in it before the "real" one was released.  Using us as guinea pigs may not be the best way to handle it but it WILL work if they listen to us  - which it appears they have been doing - and remedying the issues we find - which in some cases are getting done at a much slower pace than we wished. But again, it's a free site and we're not ENTITLED to even as much as we're getting.  

As with anything, there are two ways to handle this.  We can work against BDC, complain continually and refuse to do anything to help ourselves and our fellow posters or we can work together to make this a better place by deleting blank lines, etc., until BDC gets the "real" version released, hopefully with the final product being what we want.  

JMO 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First and foremost, this is a free site.  In spite of some of the attitude I've seen here, we're not entitled to anything.  It's not like we're actually PAYING for something and not getting it.

Next point:  BDC recognized that there were issues with this free site and went about trying to fix those issues.  Ok, it's taking a while and I'm truly as frustrated as many here are.  But BDC is making an effort to make it better.  Otherwise they would have left it alone.  

If you look at the banner at the top of the page you'll see that it says, "Beta Release".  To me that means it's a pre-release of the final product, a release that was put out to find the bugs in it before the "real" one was released.  Using us as guinea pigs may not be the best way to handle it but it WILL work if they listen to us  - which it appears they have been doing - and remedying the issues we find - which in some cases are getting done at a much slower pace than we wished. But again, it's a free site and we're not ENTITLED to even as much as we're getting.  

As with anything, there are two ways to handle this.  We can work against BDC, complain continually and refuse to do anything to help ourselves and our fellow posters or we can work together to make this a better place by deleting blank lines, etc., until BDC gets the "real" version released, hopefully with the final product being what we want.  

JMO 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I've either read or participated in a half dozen forums, all of them free.

This is, by far, the worst I've ever seen.

To use the the excuse that "it's free, what do you expect" is weak.

This is the Boston Globe we're talking about here, not some fly-by-night outfit.

They should be embarrassed to roll out such a crap site.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

JMO 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

This is the Boston Globe we're talking about here, not some fly-by-night outfit.

[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with anything you say.  I also post on a couple of other free sites and they run much better than this one does.  The commonality they don't share is that BDC is many times as big as the ones I post on so I've got to think it's also a lot more complicated code-wise.  

I find it frustrating too, but I also see that our options are limited.  We can live with it the way it is, we can walk away from it (which I hope people don't do) or we can be patient and be glad we're not actually forking over cash for this mess. 

I know nothing about how these things work so I have no idea how difficult (or easy) it is to make the changes we're requested.  What I do know is that some have happened relatively quickly so I have to think they're listening, while others appear to have not been addressed at all.  
    What I DO know is that in real life often times when someone fixes something it screws up something else and that may be the issue with things like the "white space" in replied posts.  Or not. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

IMO there is no reason for the formatting problem to persist past a couple of days after it has been identified as a problem, free forum or not. One would think that an organization like the Boston Globe would take some modicum of pride in the products they present to the public. There are two possibilities: they are unable to fix the problem (unlikely) or they are unwilling to fix the problem in a timely manner. I realize that there are other priorities for the developers, but its been weeks and the formatting problems persist. I doubt it would take more than a single day of hard work to fix this if they were focused on accomplishing it. 

Its inexcusable.

JMO

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMassGuy. Show BDCMassGuy's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

JMO 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

no one forces anyone to come here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Weak. A professional organization like the Globe should not offer a product at all if its in the shape our current forum is in. There are other free forums that do not have the problems this one does and yes, I post on them too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Not so, these guys are multitasking, working also on traffic light lane control  for the George Washington Bridge.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to BDCMassGuy's comment:

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Good attitude.

I hope BDC enjoys having a ghost town for a forum...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    This ^^^^ is exactly where I DIDN'T want this thread to go and why I was reluctant to post what I did.  Let's not be daring people to leave.  Having good posters leave will only make a bad situation worse.  

I'm proposing patience rather than quitting.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    This ^^^^ is exactly where I DIDN'T want this thread to go and why I was reluctant to post what I did.  Let's not be daring people to leave.  Having good posters leave will only make a bad situation worse.  

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If it were a matter of days, or even weeks, I'd be patient along with you.

But this forum has been a mess for months, a lot of months.

If BDC doesn't care about keeping this forum alive, they should just be upfront about it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMassGuy. Show BDCMassGuy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I got plenty of patience. Just an online forum after all.No secret its a work in progress.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMassGuy. Show BDCMassGuy's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Good attitude.

[/QUOTE]

Don't  look like a ghost town to me

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

no one forces anyone to come here

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Good attitude.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Having threads with no posts for over day, still on the front page, was unheard of a year ago.

If you can't see that membership is declining, you're not paying attention.

And, if your screen name implies that you're part of the group that's responsible for running this site, I can see why it's continuing to happen.

I'd be too embarrassed to post here, if I were you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMassGuy. Show BDCMassGuy's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

no one forces anyone to come here

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Good attitude.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Having threads with no posts for over day, still on the front page, was unheard of a year ago.

If you can't see that membership is declining, you're not paying attention.

And, if your screen name implies that you're part of the group that's responsible for running this site, I can see why it's continuing to happen.

I'd be too embarrassed to post here, if I were you.

[/QUOTE]

You know what they say about assumptions. I do not work for BDC. By the time I realized the name I picked was confusing it was too late to change. I am not embarrassed to comment here. Are you?