Dec 7 Pearl Harbor Non-Sports Question...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

Dec 7 Pearl Harbor Non-Sports Question...

This may be the wrong place to ask this question,but, I am curious about what some of you historians feel about this....I have been watching a lot of, but not all, of Oliver Stone's History of America. Lots of what he says about our history is really eye opening.

I believe he claims that our primary reason for dropping the Atomic Bomb(s) was bogus. That, in fact, our line  "the war would have otherwise gone on for another 2 years" is otherwise is bogus. Do you think that is true?

The dissing of President Truman, such as his constant threat to use the bomb after the war against Russia, and other negative stuff regarding him and subsequent "Leaders" , if true, really makes you wonder about things. Like, who the hell is/was actually running our ship??

I wonder what the truth really is. Help me out if you can. Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Dec 7 Pearl Harbor Non-Sports Question...

In response to Strangeglove's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This may be the wrong place to ask this question,but, I am curious about what some of you historians feel about this....I have been watching a lot of, but not all, of Oliver Stone's History of America. Lots of what he says about our history is really eye opening.

I believe he claims that our primary reason for dropping the Atomic Bomb(s) was bogus. That, in fact, our line  "the war would have otherwise gone on for another 2 years" is otherwise is bogus. Do you think that is true?

The dissing of President Truman, such as his constant threat to use the bomb after the war against Russia, and other negative stuff regarding him and subsequent "Leaders" , if true, really makes you wonder about things. Like, who the hell is/was actually running our ship??

[/QUOTE]

Don't look to Oliver Stone for the truth about anything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No kidding.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

1100 men went in the water, 316 come out, sharks got the rest.

Anyway, Delivered the bomb.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No kidding.

[/QUOTE]Yes, I concur that Oliver Stone is not the one to revisit/rewrite History with.... However,  there is a question of  FDR knowing/not that the Jap navy was coming towards Pearl.......  If that is true, then good ole lib/left/soc/ FDR is not much better than the antics of the man in office today......  Just a thought !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I knew the right wingers would come running on this one. I'm shocked softlaw hasn't weighed in yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No kidding.

[/QUOTE]Yes, I concur that Oliver Stone is not the one to revisit/rewrite History with.... However,  there is a question of  FDR knowing/not that the Jap navy was coming towards Pearl.......  If that is true, then good ole lib/left/soc/ FDR is not much better than the antics of the man in office today......  Just a thought !!

[/QUOTE]

December 7th, the day that Bill-806 reminds us he can't spell infamy.  Or as he knows it imfamy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? No!

*he's on a roll*

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Thesemenarecowards's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No kidding.

[/QUOTE]

December 7th, the day that Bill-806 reminds us he can't spell infamy.  Or as he knows it imfamy.

[/QUOTE] It is a day that you should give your wise mouth a pause, and give thanks & prayers to all of the people that made it possible for our generation and generations since  able to be as free as we are.....  The fact being, our freedom is not always an "entitlement"  !!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No kidding.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] It is a day that you should give your wise mouth a pause, and give thanks & prayers to all of the people that made it possible for our generation and generations since  able to be as free as we are.....  The fact being, our freedom is not always an "entitlement"  !!!!

[/QUOTE]

Actually freedom is an entitlement and I say this as a man that served my hitch in the military. All human beings are entitled to be free because that's how God created us. To say or think otherwise is to buy into the myth being sold by authoritarian types the whole world 'round.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No kidding.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually freedom is an entitlement and I say this as a man that served my hitch in the military. All human beings are entitled to be free because that's how God created us. To say or think otherwise is to buy into the myth being sold by authoritarian types the whole world 'round.

[/QUOTE]Just thinking that we certainly are not as free today as we were after WWII......  And that concerns me (as you) very,very much !!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If you want the truth or at least a better grasp of what went on, get a hold of some history books, don't look for it on T.V. or movies or the internet

...actually, do we ever really know what's true and what isn't?

We have had controversial subjects like the Kennedy assassination,the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa,Watergate,the John Lennon assassination  the UFO landings in Roswell, the decision not to resign Carlton Fisk ( gotta keep a little Red Sox subject matter here to make it a legit topic for these boards...right???), do we really know the whole truth about all these events?

I find it disturbing that anyone would try to throw ol' Harry Truman under the bus. The freakin; guy was kept in the dark about the Atom bomb while he was only a VP, then when th ebig guy kicks off, they dump it in his lap....and now he has to make one of the most difficult decsions anyone has ever made.....let thousands , maybe millions more die in a war that can only have one result....or drop the bomb and while killing and exposing millions of people to radiation, effectively end a war that has been going on for years....I am just glad that decision was not mine to make...Harry Truman was put in a no-win situation , but he had to decide between two evils.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

I get that Oliver Stone is not all that. He even admitted later, I believe, that some of his JFK stuff was wrong. Obviously, whatever he says is far from the gospel. However, "some" of it must be right. No?

Believe me, I have no agenda, but before I  go do a bunch of research on my own, I'd love to know the truth and whether you folks think the Atomic bomb was neccessary? - Y/N/Don't Know. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No kidding.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh I see, so in one post you get to take shots at FDR and Obama but then in the next you can get preachy with other people.  You are such a brainwashed drone you can't even recognize your own hypocritical double standards. 

FYI, Freedom is an entitlement, unless of course you don't think Freedom falls under "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Well said ya big ole reptile.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Oliver Stone I'm pretty sure was on the grassy noll and if I'm correct also stood within feet of Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theatre. Or was that Zelig?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you want the truth or at least a better grasp of what went on, get a hold of some history books, don't look for it on T.V. or movies or the internet

...actually, do we ever really know what's true and what isn't?

We have had controversial subjects like the Kennedy assassination,the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa,Watergate,the John Lennon assassination  the UFO landings in Roswell, the decision not to resign Carlton Fisk ( gotta keep a little Red Sox subject matter here to make it a legit topic for these boards...right???), do we really know the whole truth about all these events?

I find it disturbing that anyone would try to throw ol' Harry Truman under the bus. The freakin; gut was kept in the dark about the Atom bomb while he was only a VP, then when th ebig guy kicks off, they dump it in his lap....and now he has to make one of the most difficult decsions anyone has ever made.....let thousands , maybe millions more die in a war that can only have one result....or drop the bomb and while killing and exposing millions of people to radiation, effectively end a war that has been going on for years....I am just glad that decision was not mine to make...Harry Truman was put in a no-win situation , but he had to decide between two evils.

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[/QUOTE]Just thinking that we certainly are not as free today as we were after WWII......  And that concerns me (as you) very,very much !!!!

[/QUOTE]

You're an idiot.  Tell a black person they are less "free" than they were in 1945.  Tell a woman she had more freedom of opportunities in 1945.  Tell a gay/lesbian they were more free in 1945.

Just because paranoid old white guys say there is less freedom, doesn't make it true.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No kidding.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh I see, so in one post you get to take shots at FDR and Obama but then in the next you can get preachy with other people.  You are such a brainwashed drone you can't even recognize your own hypocritical double standards. 

FYI, Freedom is an entitlement, unless of course you don't think Freedom falls under "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"?

[/QUOTE]  Is it ?????   Of late, it sure looks like it is an entitlement that is paid for by a few and abused by a good many !!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Was the dropping of the bomb necessary?

Well, no. It could have been avoided if Japan had surrendered.

It's like when the cop is chasing a punk and says "stop or I'll shoot!"...the punk doesn't stop ...the cop shoots...

I think even after the first bomb was dropped the Japanese leader refused to surrender. Maybe he thought we only had one bomb?....never could figure that one out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

The Japs still didnt surrender after they dropped the first  A-Bomb, So that kind of reinforces the notion that the Japs where gonna fight tooth and nail to the very end and that the war would have dragged on and cost thousands if not millions more american lives, If the decision hadnt been made too drop Two A-bombs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It probably saved the world if you think about it. By dropping 2 hydrogen bombs and showing its horrible destruction, I think it served as a reminder to the Russians and to the Chinese over the last 60something years, you don't want to go that route.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I've been to Pearl Harbor many times to the Arizona Memorial. If you are out there some time with the veterans who always come back, you would be a bit more respectful about it. About 10 to 20 years ago, we would get big groups. Now there are rarely any - some 18 and 19-year olds at the time who still come back. America lost a lot that day. And yes, the Arizona is still leaking oil.

The plan to invade Japan was Operation Olympic, I believe. It may not have extended the war for two years, but I think that you could easily multiply the number of US Pacific casualties by a factor of 2 or 3. It is speculated that it also would have ended the Japanese as many would have taken their own lives, and destruction of Japan would have been complete.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Is it ?????   Of late, it sure looks like it is an entitlement that is paid for by a few and abused by a good many !!!!

How exactly does one abuse freedom Bill? Freedom means you're free. Or does freedom mean the freedom to do and say only things that you agree with?