Dec 7 Pearl Harbor Non-Sports Question...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Dec 7 Pearl Harbor Non-Sports Question...

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bill, the American people want something for nothing from someone else, that's why. It used to be they came to the Nation of our founding fathers for a chance, not a guarantee, that hard work would give them a better life than the colllectivist and dictator States they were fleeing. Now they come for the entitlments and to work on the side and cheat the welfare State stystem.

This Nation can't be a Welfare State and a Nation of opportunity to seek private property and economic propserity for individuals. It's either/or, and it's going to collapse under the weight of the debt of the entitlments and the welfare State. What will emerge will be what has taken place many times in other collectivist States of world history. 

[/QUOTE]

I can't think of a single thing you have that I, or any sane person, would want. Free or otherwise. Contrary to what passes for a thought in that walnut sized thing you call a brain, not everyone in the USA holds the acquisition of money as their highest personal goal, and the thing that all people should be judged by.

[/QUOTE]Carnie, you are flat out wrong & rude too........  What Softy said is soooo true today in America..... The "BIG O" knows that and he is using $$$$ to destroy this country. That has been his "charge" since his days of a community organizer and his held positions along the way..... Who the HE!! votes PRESENT as often as he did in the Senate ???   America has been snookered but the ball is not in the endzone just yet !!!!  Hang on to your hats boys & girls !!!!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bill, the American people want something for nothing from someone else, that's why. It used to be they came to the Nation of our founding fathers for a chance, not a guarantee, that hard work would give them a better life than the colllectivist and dictator States they were fleeing. Now they come for the entitlments and to work on the side and cheat the welfare State stystem.

This Nation can't be a Welfare State and a Nation of opportunity to seek private property and economic propserity for individuals. It's either/or, and it's going to collapse under the weight of the debt of the entitlments and the welfare State. What will emerge will be what has taken place many times in other collectivist States of world history. 

[/QUOTE]

I can't think of a single thing you have that I, or any sane person, would want. Free or otherwise. Contrary to what passes for a thought in that walnut sized thing you call a brain, not everyone in the USA holds the acquisition of money as their highest personal goal, and the thing that all people should be judged by.

[/QUOTE]Carnie, you are flat out wrong & rude too........  What Softy said is soooo true today in America..... The "BIG O" knows that and he is using $$$$ to destroy this country. That has been his "charge" since his days of a community organizer and his held positions along the way..... Who the HE!! votes PRESENT as often as he did in the Senate ???   America has been snookered but the ball is not in the endzone just yet !!!!  Hang on to your hats boys & girls !!!!!

[/QUOTE]

This from the guy that admires Joe McCarthy. I'll take that for what it's worth. But you are right about one thing. I can be very rude at times. I do not suffer fools gladly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I think Bill should go the Law route and build up an ARMY!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This from the guy that admires Joe McCarthy. I'll take that for what it's worth. But you are right about one thing. I can be very rude at times. I do not suffer fools gladly.

[/QUOTE]  Perhaps an EYE test is needed.......... Other than that, I hope that you enjoy the ride !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  Perhaps an EYE test is needed.......... Other than that, I hope that you enjoy the ride !!!!

[/QUOTE]

Whatever that means.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

pike

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Bill should go the Law route and build up an ARMY!

[/QUOTE]

Im going to go out on a limb.  It would be more like a Navy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

Actually it was probably one of the greatest surprise attacks ever executed. But as amaericans we think of it differently.

[/QUOTE]

Brilliant wasn't it. That reminds me of my friend who was in the Indiana state pen about 10 years ago. His cell mate was a guy named Mike who was some former football player or boxer. Definately said he was a pro athlete. Anyway, dude stole my friends cigs. So my friend decided to do a surprise attack just like the Japanese. He sucker punched the guy in the gut and knocked the wind right out of him and got his cigarettes back.

Long story short, about 5 minutes later when my friend  was losing consciousness and about to die, he thinks the only thing that saved him is when he said out loud a fond farewell to this world and his pet pigeon Priscilla. For some reason that calmed Mike down and stopped the pummeling.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to louisthelipp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Carnie, be a big boy and respond to the comments instead of identifying Pike. The forum is for dialogue and not for witch-hunting. If you can't stand to debate and exchange ideas then get out of the kitchen. What do you think about the morality of bombing Japan with an A-Bomb. That is the question. You are acting like a little kid. Do you really want a fraternity of good old boys who are Yes men and forgive and enable all of the senile, bashing, pessimistic, non-fans. Why do you prefer and enable such negativity? Isn't this a Red Sox forum? Why are you applauding the opposite? Why is AlibiIke preferred over JimDavis? Why did you like Babe over JimfromFla? Simple questions. Do they kiss your azz?

[/QUOTE]

As soon as you quit preaching I'll quit outing you.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to louisthelipp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You don't like someone being against the bombing of Japan for moral reasons? Do you want everyone to be pregmatic about it. I thought that this was an open forum for the exchange of differing points of view? In regards to the Red Sox are you of the "Pumpsie mentality" that Pollyannaism is not permissable in this establishment and all optimists or bootlickers should be treated with suspect and sent to Siberia with other Pikers? Shame on you for siding with the chronic pessimists and treating the Red Sox fans like lepers. You preach your nonsense and side with Babe and I'll preach loyalty and Red Sox enthusiasm. To each his own but stop running to J-bay and tugging on his apron strings. Grow up.

[/QUOTE]

I know it was unintentional, but that was laugh out loud funny. You should stick with funny, that works for you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oliver Stone I'm pretty sure was on the grassy noll and if I'm correct also stood within feet of Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theatre. Or was that Zelig?

[/QUOTE]

History gets rewritten often, mostly to avoid other foreseeable problems.

As for the A-bombs, Truman made the right call. The Japanese were the aggressors, & still to this day have never apologized for attacking Pearl Harbor or invading the Aleutian Islands. They were just as brutal as the Germans, repeating many of the same atrocities like labor camps & genocide. Yet, for some odd reason they are painted in totally different lights. Amazing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Oh, and just so you know ADG devoted an entire thread to me calling him a crybaby.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]

The Nips were more brutal than the Germans, when it came to American POW's.

(((derogatory term for a japanese person 

derived from the japanese word "nippon" 
    meaning japanese because the nips didn't want to stop the war, we bombed those motherfXXXXXs back to the stone age.)))) Urban Dictionary

For some reason , there are Americans who always want to spin things in ways that make the U.S. look bad.  I don't know if it is guilt or self loathing , but it is a strange phenomenon.  I think much of it comes out of the universities teachings.  There will always be things that are wrong , but some seem to be a little too eager to always look at history in ways that put America in a negative light.  Dgalhouse 

All countries act in their own interest, the USA is no different.  As far as empires go, I'd say the USA has been remarkably benevolent.  Americans with a critical eye to the facts of history are hardly a match for the power of Hollywood in myth making about history.  Too mnay Americans believe in a "false" narrative of WWII history and it does the country no favor in its reputation abroad.  

Saving Private Ryan for example fails to show any Canadians, British, French, or Polish contribution.  I am only referring to after leaving Omaha Beach  of course.

How many American students are aware that most of the rest world considers the Soviets as the country that "won" WWII?

Military deaths     total  deaths       % death / 1939 pop:

USA                    416800              418500                     .32   

Soviet               ~9,800,000          23,400,000             13.8 

British                383800              450900                      .94

Canadian           45400                   same                         .4

25% of all Soviet soldiers died compared to 2.5% for the USA

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

not everyone in the USA holds the acquisition of money as their highest personal goal, and the thing that all people should be judged by.

If the entitlment State wasn't greasing your lazy palms, you would actually be motivated to acquire money and pay or bills. All people should be judged by the standard of sloth and envy, which is the Democrat Party federal class identity politics calling card that attract losers like you.

[/QUOTE]

And precisely what service have you ever rendered our country softlaw? Oh, that's right. Helping people avoid paying their taxes. You are a great American sir.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/10/the-real-reason-america-used-nuclear-weapons-against-japan-to-contain-russian-ambitions.html

Like all Americans, I was taught that the U.S. dropped nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in order to end WWII and save both American and Japanese lives. But most of the top American military officials at the time said otherwise. The U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey group, assigned by President Truman to study the air attacks on Japan, produced a report in July of 1946 that concluded (52-56):

"Based on a detailed investigation of all the facts and supported by the testimony of the surviving Japanese leaders involved, it is the Survey's opinion that certainly prior to 31 December 1945 and in all probability prior to 1 November 1945, Japan would have surrendered even if the atomic bombs had not been dropped, even if Russia had not entered the war, and even if no invasion had been planned or contemplated." 

General Dwight Eisenhower, then Supreme Commander of all Allied Forces, and the officer who created most of America's WWII military plans for Europe and Japan, said:

"The Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing. In [July] 1945, Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany, informed me that our government was preparing to drop an atomic bomb on Japan. I was one of those who felt that there were a number of cogent reasons to question the wisdom of such an act. The Secretary, upon giving me the news of the successful bomb test in New Mexico, and of the plan for using it, asked for my reaction, apparently expecting a vigorous assent. During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of face. The Secretary was deeply perturbed by my attitude."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

not everyone in the USA holds the acquisition of money as their highest personal goal, and the thing that all people should be judged by.

If the entitlment State wasn't greasing your lazy palms, you would actually be motivated to acquire money and pay or bills. All people should be judged by the standard of sloth and envy, which is the Democrat Party federal class identity politics calling card that attract losers like you.

[/QUOTE]

And precisely what service have you ever rendered our country softlaw? Oh, that's right. Helping people avoid paying their taxes. You are a great American sir.

[/QUOTE]

Carnie, aren't you the great and benevalent one.  I'm certainly not siding with lawyer-boy or whatever the heck he really is, but the tones of your postings are just as snarky as his - only his at their root musings make sense.  Hey, all people who work hard for a living and have attained some wealth are crapola - I get it.  Here's the great thing about what's going to be coming down the financial turnpike - those of us who manage our finances well will somehow get over even a year or two long period of financial strife.  The lay-abouts who "hate" the doers of this country so much will still be in a bind.  We can help ourselves through bad times through shear will and sacrifice.  But the do-nothings will still be broke.....and doing nothing but cry about how the rich are holdin' them down.  Egads!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

More from the above article:

Admiral William Leahy – the highest ranking member of the U.S. military from 1942 until retiring in 1949, who was the first de facto Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and who was at the center of all major American military decisions in World War II – wrote (pg. 441):

It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.

The lethal possibilities of atomic warfare in the future are frightening. My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children.

General Douglas MacArthur agreed (pg. 65, 70-71):

MacArthur’s views about the decision to drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were starkly different from what the general public supposed …. When I asked General MacArthur about the decision to drop the bomb, I was surprised to learn he had not even been consulted. What, I asked, would his advice have been? He replied that he saw no military justification for the dropping of the bomb. The war might have ended weeks earlier, he said, if the United States had agreed, as it later did anyway, to the retention of the institution of the emperor.

U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission historian J. Samuel Walker has studied the history of research on the decision to use nuclear weapons on Japan. In his conclusion he writes, “The consensus among scholars is that the bomb was not needed to avoid an invasion of Japan and to end the war within a relatively short time. It is clear that alternatives to the bomb existed and that Truman and his advisors knew it.” (J. Samuel Walker, The Decision to Use the Bomb: A Historiographical Update,Diplomatic History, Winter 1990, pg. 110).

History.com notes:

In the years since the two atomic bombs were dropped on Japan, a number of historians have suggested that the weapons had a two-pronged objective …. It has been suggested that the second objective was to demonstrate the new weapon of mass destruction to the Soviet Union. By August 1945, relations between the Soviet Union and the United States had deteriorated badly. The Potsdam Conference between U.S. President Harry S. Truman, Russian leader Joseph Stalin, and Winston Churchill (before being replaced by Clement Attlee) ended just four days before the bombing of Hiroshima. The meeting was marked by recriminations and suspicion between the Americans and Soviets. Russian armies were occupying most of Eastern Europe. Truman and many of his advisers hoped that the U.S. atomic monopoly might offer diplomatic leverage with the Soviets. In this fashion, the dropping of the atomic bomb on Japan can be seen as the first shot of the Cold War.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to gr82bme's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Carnie, aren't you the great and benevalent one.  I'm certainly not siding with lawyer-boy or whatever the heck he really is, but the tones of your postings are just as snarky as his - only his at their root musings make sense.  Hey, all people who work hard for a living and have attained some wealth are crapola - I get it.  Here's the great thing about what's going to be coming down the financial turnpike - those of us who manage our finances well will somehow get over even a year or two long period of financial strife.  The lay-abouts who "hate" the doers of this country so much will still be in a bind.  We can help ourselves through bad times through shear will and sacrifice.  But the do-nothings will still be broke.....and doing nothing but cry about how the rich are holdin' them down.  Egads!

[/QUOTE]

So you agree with the alleged lawyer that anyone even slightly to the left of Joe McCarthy is a lazy layabout who would starve if it weren't for their monthly welfare check? Well, just so you know I've never been on welfare and I've worked all my life and paid my taxes. I also served my country in the military, so I feel I've earned the right to state my opinion and to vote my conscience. And when did I ever state that I thought that anyone who has attained wealth was crapola? What I said was that some people, myself included, believe that there are higher standards in life than the acquisition of money. And ironically enough it also says that in the Bible that so many right wingers are so fond of saying should be the governing principle of this country. Or did you miss the part where it says that the love of money is the root of all evil? And casey, there's no use pointing out facts to these clowns, as they just ignore facts that they don't agree with. Also I can guarantee that if Eisenhower were president now the right would hate him. The top tax rate was consistently over 30% during his presidency after all. And wit that I'm done with this thread. There's a reason I try to avoid talking politics on the baseball board.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

So you agree with the alleged lawyer that anyone even slightly to the left of Joe McCarthy is a lazy layabout who would starve if it weren't for their monthly welfare check? Well, just so you know I've never been on welfare and I've worked all my life and paid my taxes. I also served my country in the military, so I feel I've earned the right to state my opinion and to vote my conscience. And when did I ever state that I thought that anyone who has attained wealth was crapola? What I said was that some people, myself included, believe that there are higher standards in life than the acquisition of money. And ironically enough it also says that in the Bible that so many right wingers are so fond of saying should be the governing principle of this country. Or did you miss the part where it says that the love of money is the root of all evil? And casey, there's no use pointing out facts to these clowns, as they just ignore facts that they don't agree with. Also I can guarantee that if Eisenhower were president now the right would hate him. The top tax rate was consistently over 30% during his presidency after all. And wit that I'm done with this thread. There's a reason I try to avoid talking politics on the baseball board.

[/QUOTE]

I know, monsieur...But there are a few open-minded souls like strangeglove who might actually read the article..I resisted joining in this ideological fray since it started...But I do not like seeing any kindred souls outnumbered, especially someone I consider a friend...