Decisions for Theo: Who should Theo sign and resign?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Decisions for Theo: Who should Theo sign and resign?

Sign?
    LHP C.J. Wilson
    LHP Mark Buehrle
    LHP CC Sabathia
    RHP Yu Darvish(Japan)
    1B Prince Fielder
    SS Jose Reyes
    Resign?
    David Ortiz
    Jonathan Papelbon

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Decisions for Theo: Who should Theo sign and resign?

They either have to pull a trade for a pitcher or get a CC Sabathia who will opt out as the market is developing for him. I think we were fooled one time on the Japaneese market with Matsusaka and that Giro ball hype. Its too unproven a market and you are spending money based on hope.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

In Response to Decisions for Theo: Who should Theo sign and resign?:
    [QUOTE]Sign? LHP C.J. Wilson LHP Mark Buehrle LHP CC Sabathia RHP Yu Darvish (Japan) 1B Prince Fielder SS Jose Reyes Resign? David Ortiz Jonathan Papelbon
    Posted by Jete02fann[/QUOTE]

Where do you play Fielder if you keep Ortiz?  They are in an interesting spot.  Recall, before the big signings last off season the "inside/unspoken" analysis is that they were looking at 2012 more than 2011.  Now they have had some guys, they were probably planning on unloading, have better years than expected (Paps, Ortiz, Varitek, Ells too maybe). You are rolling the dice with Ortiz and if they bring Varitek back as Ortiz for sure will be a multi year commitment for an older player and Tk can probably fall apart as easily as perform well

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

From BleacherReport:
    Yu Darvish

We finally arrive at the top pitcher on the free-agency list, and he hasn't even pitched in a major-league game. His name is Yu Darvish, he is a young pitcher from Japan and he is quite possibly the best pitcher alive.

In 100 career games in Japan, Darvish has posted a 58-22 record with an unbelievable 1.81 ERA and 807 strikeouts. I don't care where you're pitching—those numbers will always be looked at as elite.

With as young as Darvish is, if he does in fact get posted, he'll be swarmed by MLB teams with their wallets wide open.

It's also not as if he has never seen any of MLB's current hitters, as he pitched for the World Baseball Classic champion Japanese team in 2009, going 2-1 with a 2.08 ERA and 20 strikeouts over 13 innings during the tournament.

If this kid can continue doing what he's been doing in Japan once he makes it to the U.S., he would be a steal for any team, even if he winds up making $20 million a year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Here's the best case scenario for the Sox: If they can't re-sign Ortiz or Paps they should take the money they save on those two huge contracts and sign Albert Pujols and Nathan. They have a bunch of money coming off the books in Drew,Ortiz,Paps,Scrubtaro between those 4 guys your talking 44 million dollars! I'm sure there are others who are overpaid but how the hell do you get rid of the bums like Lackey or Crappy Carl  or DiceK??? Although ShaLackey has done something I didn't think was possible,he's actually made DiceK look like a viable option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

They probably sign Ortiz at 13 million  for two years. I do not know what they do with Papelbon  but think you might have to hang on to him. They need another "workhorse starter" which because of Becketts injuries, Lackey uncertainty, Matsusaka on rehab the whole year looking for his next contract, and the mediocreness of a 45 year old Wakefield, erratic Miller. Unless its a major trade blockbuster type they have to be active with Sabathia. Henry has the money.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a run at CJ Wilson.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I believe Texas locked wilson up...Id resign Paps and papi..Beckett, Lester, Buch and Lackey will be back next year..Cant help all the injuries..just need a good MOTR pitcher IMO...They might sign Bedard on the cheap with incentives...Should be an interesting Off-season...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

About Fielder, somebody had an article on fat BB players and how their game seems to deteriorate at a younger age.  Beware on this guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

We have too many guys with bad backs. I see it as bad luck. If Steinbrenner was running this team, the training staff would be fired. I wouldn't do it, but this team if hurting so badly and watching TB pitchers mow down Sox. it is likely that they will be the wild card.. When we lose 11 to 10, it is unlikely that the SOX make the playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Teams don't pay big money to a DH any longer.    Ortiz will be offered a decent 1-year deal with a (team) option for a 2nd year.  Not much in the way of free agent pitchers available.   C.J. Wilson willl likely be re-signed by Texas.
    Trades ?    Theo has little to trade unless he empties out what prospects he does have and sets the farm system back 3 years in doing so.
    Drew's money will get somebody as long as it isn't a Lackey, Jenks, Dice-K, or Crawford type of player.
    Theo will need to be creative.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

That's not Jete. There's an extra "n" in the name.

I thought it was so strange for him to be starting back to back threads on the board.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

What happened to Theo leaving for Chicago?  I really thought it was a good possibility. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In Response to Re: Decisions for Theo: Who should Theo sign and resign?:
    [QUOTE]Teams don't pay big money to a DH any longer.    Ortiz will be offered a decent 1-year deal with a (team) option for a 2nd year.  Not much in the way of free agent pitchers available.   C.J. Wilson willl likely be re-signed by Texas. Trades ?    Theo has little to trade unless he empties out what prospects he does have and sets the farm system back 3 years in doing so. Drew's money will get somebody as long as it isn't a Lackey, Jenks, Dice-K, or Crawford type of player. Theo will need to be creative.
    Posted by Diamondtalk[/QUOTE]

Crawford will be a better player next year. Lackey is done. I think he is a cancerous influence in the dugout. His wife is ripping him a new one which is not big news now.  Sometines a team signs players with home issues to get him as far awy from home as possible. Fact is, we don't know much about Lackey other than he can't pitch consitently. RS have to eat his contract and absolutely dump him.Please do NOT sign AJ Burnett.,

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Heard his wife has breast cancer but did not hear anything about him  having problems with her. Unless there is something else going on there.

In Response to Re: Decisions for Theo: Who should Theo sign and resign?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Decisions for Theo: Who should Theo sign and resign? : Crawford will be a better player next year. Lackey is done. I think he is a cancerous influence in the dugout. His wife is ripping him a new one which is not big news now.  Sometines a team signs players with home issues to get him as far awy from home as possible. Fact is, we don't know much about Lackey other than he can't pitch consitently. RS have to eat his contract and absolutely dump him.Please do NOT sign AJ Burnett.,
    Posted by boboinfla[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re-sign Papelbon and Bedard, assuming neither has outrageous demands.  Sign Ryan Ludwick and a reliever or two, like, say Michael Wuertz.

Stay away from the free agent starting pitchers. 

I'd like Ortiz back, but I think Youkilis might have to spend some time as DH next year.

Then try and make some trades.