DEFENSE OF CRAWFORD IS DISAPPOINTING

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

DEFENSE OF CRAWFORD IS DISAPPOINTING

Aw Jeeee eeeez  (Heard that before, Edith)

When we landed Carl, I was delighted.  Some of you noticed.  Almost as delighted as when the fantasy league trade for Adrian shockingly came true.

I am STILL delighted that we have Carl. 

But true to form, the baseball genii on this board went after him.  Some have even gone after Adrian (coming off shoulder surgery, no less....)  Some went after the signing, which is surprised many but shouldn't have after the bar being set so high for Jason Werth.  Some went after the length of the contract.  Oh well.  Like we didn't have issues with "short" contracts (see Pedro {properly done}, Jason Bay {properly done}, even VMart {still in the up in the air about that one - though I lean toward properly done}, Mark Teixiera {Hmmm}).  SO when Mr. Lucchino and Mr. Werner said we weren't finished after Adrian, we only signed the highest ranked FA available.  Terrible. 

And just like the baseball genii that jumped Big Papi the last couple fo seasons, the negativity toward Carl is still going forward.

Nuts to all of you naysayers.

He put enough pressure on himself.  But he's played through it and is hitting considerably better, knocking in runs, game winners to boot.

And now his defense is disappointing. 

My guess is that if you watched him put on his UnderArmor, you'd find reason to complain.  "What, he puts in his left leg first?" 

It's disappointing that  we haven't been supportive through the tough times.  Some of us at least.  It's disappointing that you haven't welcomed him and rooted for him and cheered him. 

It's now time to get off his back.  He's been a Sox for months now.  He had a great work ethic and the best of regards by everyone in his former associations.  That's kind of hard to say these days.  Super stars seem to be lazy and have a large band of critics in their background.  Not Carl. 

But you negative maroons have provided him that lovely cache of people who can take a person who's performed better and better, who's been a hard worker - a real positive image for us and our kids - and take your hatchets out.  Congrats to you.

YOU ARE THE DISAPPOINTING ONES.

When will you ever learn?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Re: DEFENSE OF CRAWFORD IS DISAPPOINTING

SinceYaz,
    When I first read the title of your post, I thought you were saying that those who defend Carl are disappointing.......good to find out your message is just the opposite of that. 

You are right, we need to get behind this guy.  He is trying so hard.  He is a very good player.  Yes he is on a large contract, but that is hardly his fault.  He will add tremendous value to this team, both offensively and defensively, but to this point, we clearly have not seen the best of either.  He will come around though.  Even if it takes him a full year to adjust, we just need to be patient.  He isn't going anywhere.  He put the hurt on the Red Sox so many times, now he is ours to embrace. 

And don't get me wrong, it is perfectly fine to express concern for any of our players, but giving up on CC after 1.5 months in Boston is absurd.  He is not a rookie - he is a proven MLB all star!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Could not agree more but I too thought the thread title meant the opposite.  People act like the guy is a finished product -- he is obviously a super-talented athlete who gets better at things as he practices them.  Let him play LF for a bit -- we will be marveling at his work down the road.  He wants to be great.  Let's not forget that -- he's not ever satisified.  Even when the fans are finally satisfied he'll still be striving to be better.

The only sad thing about the deal for me is that Ells is his equal if not better and therefore Boras will seek a CC deal for him ruling him out for us since we can't pay that for 2 guys.  It's sad because Ells is gonna be a thorn in the opposition's side for the rest of his career.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Well said Yaz.There are too many on this board whose only reason for being a Red Sox fan is to whine and moan about them whenever possible.Even when they win there's threads about what Francona did wrong,how they need a new catcher or Crawford not hitting the way they wanted him to.
        After 86 years without a World Series,I consider this is the Golden Age of the Red Sox and I'm going to enjoy it rather than rip people apart because they're not performing up to my expectations.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 1/19/2006
    Last: 5/18/2011
    SinceYaz,
    When I first read the title of your post, I thought you were saying that those who defend Carl are disappointing.......good to find out your message is just the opposite of that. 

You are right, we need to get behind this guy.  He is trying so hard.  He is a very good player.  Yes he is on a large contract, but that is hardly his fault.  He will add tremendous value to this team, both offensively and defensively, but to this point, we clearly have not seen the best of either.  He will come around though.  Even if it takes him a full year to adjust, we just need to be patient.  He isn't going anywhere.  He put the hurt on the Red Sox so many times, now he is ours to embrace. 

And don't get me wrong, it is perfectly fine to express concern for any of our players, but giving up on CC after 1.5 months in Boston is absurd.  He is not a rookie - he is a proven MLB all star!

kt888

Sorry for the misguidance in the title.  It was a direct play of words on another thread title "CRAWFORD'S DEFENSE IS DISAPPOINTING" ....

But we are in one mind here about Carl, it seems.  Last night's game was the "Island of Broken Toys" win ... Salty knocking in Carl..   :oD

A walk is all Carl needed to be the significant player at home ...  Speed does indeed kill ... ask Detroit.  Salty's RBI double didn't even draw a throw from the outfield ....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 8/31/2009
    Last: 5/19/2011
    Could not agree more but I too thought the thread title meant the opposite.  People act like the guy is a finished product -- he is obviously a super-talented athlete who gets better at things as he practices them.  Let him play LF for a bit -- we will be marveling at his work down the road.  He wants to be great.  Let's not forget that -- he's not ever satisified.  Even when the fans are finally satisfied he'll still be striving to be better.

The only sad thing about the deal for me is that Ells is his equal if not better and therefore Boras will seek a CC deal for him ruling him out for us since we can't pay that for 2 guys.  It's sad because Ells is gonna be a thorn in the opposition's side for the rest of his career.

I agree ... I think he's getting better and better.  And as his legs give up a step ot two in the latter part of the contract, I think his power and consistency at the plate will keep on developing.

As I mentioned to kt888 ... title was a direct word play against another thread knocking Carl.  Ticked me off, so I wrote the counterpoint.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: DEFENSE OF CRAWFORD IS DISAPPOINTING:
       Well said Yaz.There are too many on this board whose only reason for being a Red Sox fan is to whine and moan about them whenever possible.Even when they win there's threads about what Francona did wrong,how they need a new catcher or Crawford not hitting the way they wanted him to.     After 86 years without a World Series,I consider this is the Golden Age of the Red Sox and I'm going to enjoy it rather than rip people apart because they're not performing up to my expectations.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Exactly, sir!  Exactly!!

How'd that Salty guy do last night, eh?  :oD

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think CC will be ok. Verducci (spelling?)even said he thinks it might take him a little longer for him because its in Boston. Bottom line is anybody that is respected in baseball says this guy will hit and hit well..I believe them. I just cant understand why fans care what a billionaire spends.unless your a lifetime season ticket holder, it shouldnt matter IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Crawford's going to be OK.  Good hitters don't just stop hitting and good fielders don't just become error machines.  That doesn't happen.  CC got that contract because he has proven skills.  He just needs to get his feet under him and get used to playing in the pressure-cooker that's Boston.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Sorry. I think Carl is a great person and a great athlete with one of the best work ethics in baseball but he is not a great fit in Fenway, is not a gold glove level fielder, will never hit like he did last year again as long as he stays in Fenway and NFWIH he was worth $142 mil.

Nothing against him personally. He just was not an optimal signing in Fenway for anywhere near that level of money. I'm rooting for him still. I still like the guy. 

I will agree on one thing. It's time to put it behind us and move forward as a team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Theo caught the Omar Minaya and Brian Cashman disease - its called the Blank Checkbook.

They signed him simply because he was the best available on the market, not the best available for the team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

watching CC last night batting in the rain and fog, it occurred to me he's never had to play in temputures below 72 degrees at the trop. he's also from houston texas.....warm blooded.  he has always had slow starts; albeit not this slow, but made me wonder if it was somewhat weather related and he'll heat up as the weather does.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

watching CC last night batting in the rain and fog, it occurred to me he's never had to play in temputures below 72 degrees at the trop. hes' also from houtston texas.....warm blooded.  he has always had slow starts; albeit not this slow, but made me wonder if it was somewhat weather related and he'll heat up as the weather does.
    Posted by J-BAY

i fully expect it to go down like this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

watching CC last night batting in the rain and fog, it occurred to me he's never had to play in temputures below 72 degrees at the trop. he's also from houston texas.....warm blooded.  he has always had slow starts; albeit not this slow, but made me wonder if it was somewhat weather related and he'll heat up as the weather does.
    Posted by J-BAY

Never thought of that, either. Very good point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Someone is disappointed in the performance of the left fielder, arguably the position held by the worst fielder on the team. 

News flash - no team signs a left fielder based on their glove.

There's a reason that a guy with Crawford's speed doesn't play Centerfield.  He's as fast as Ellsbury yet even at Tampa he played left field.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Bellsbury is one of the worst CF defenders in baseball. Crawford can play better defense in LF but he has been mailing it in so far. Thank goodness for Drew and Cameron, as the OF defense is quite bad.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Hall's ERA was zero, with the Red Sox. Despite the short sample at a position he is returning to after a lengthy time playing IF and OF, he is a good MLB athlete.

Now, let's not talk about the bellyflop Lowrie did on a routine DP 2 high bounces in the IF ball, or his -17.6 UZR for this SS.

You can really spot an elite MLB SS, can't you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 5/9/2011
    Last: 5/19/2011
    Hall's ERA was zero, with the Red Sox. Despite the short sample at a position he is returning to after a lengthy time playing IF and OF, he is a good MLB athlete.

Now, let's not talk about the bellyflop Lowrie did on a routine DP 2 high bounces in the IF ball, or his -17.6 UZR for this SS.

You can really spot an elite MLB SS, can't you.

Duh  ... what?  Where did that come from?    (I know the person to whom you are speaking may have removed a vital entry, but you sound more innane than usual as things stand.)

Is it possible for you to support a player on the team, just as a general theme, or is denegration the only language you make humanity suffer through as they have to deal with you breathing our communal air?

Sections
Shortcuts