Define: WHAT MAKES A FAN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Define: WHAT MAKES A FAN

So what say all you Boston fans or other teams fans who like to post on Boston threads. What truely makes a fan a fan? Do you have to watch every single game to be a fan? Is a fan one who can't state an opinion without getting shredded? Does a fan have to agree with the masses? Can a fan never be wrong about their team? Is a fan a fan when they admit they were wrong, but still get bashed? It is funny how some of you love to use the word troll, when in fact, you yourselves have become the trolls. Sitting behind you computer screens searching for those of us who takes stands whether right or wrong, and ripping us for those stands. It amazes me how some of you act like you are never wrong or have ever owned up to it? Does that make you a fan? We all make mistakes, shoot, even Bill-806 admitted he thought the Sox were going to get beat? Does that make him a bad fan? Nope. Some of you fans love to dig on other fans because I guess it makes you feel better or more liked. To me that is not being a fan at all, but just ignorant.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Define: WHAT MAKES A FAN

Your pre-empitve can't get a game over .500 really made you look bad - that's all.  You posted because you gave up, which I understand as it can be trying to be a fan who never gives up on his team.... but to launch a thread like that, and then be dead wrong..... well your going to have to take some flack man.

After the terrible season start and then sweeping NY and reaching .500 - exactly what was your point of slamming (this is how it was perceived) the team for not getting +1 over .500 the very next day?

No big deal, I am sure your a fan, now take your medicine and move on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

BILL-806 & HIS DAD !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yes - such is the way of the forum.... if you consider yourself a true fan then I am sure you must be one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

To me a fan is someone who roots for their team no matter what.  The Pittsburgh Pirates have fans, despite their trying times the last 20 years or so.  That doesn't mean you have to be happy when they lose, or even not be realisitic about their chances.  But you still stand by your team and hope for the best, even if in the case of the Pirates, the best is to hope they reach .500 by the end of a season (last done in 1992 for them).  But to say things like "this team is crap" etc. after a poor start and say the season is over, despite the fact that the team has shown over the last decade that they average 93+ wins a season seems a little foolish.  That is not standing by your team.  One has to have an understanding of the game of baseball to understand losing streaks happen.  

I remember back in 2007 when the Sox were still in first place but the lead had dwindled to about 2 games in September, there were people in here stating the season was over (they had a 4 game losing streak).  They were in FIRST PLACE and people were giving up on them.  To me, that is not a fan.  That is someone who just roots for the front runner.  Remember all those Bulls fans back in the 90's?  You haven't seen them for a while.  Also, suddenly you have a lot of Heat fans.  Where were they 10, heck 5 years ago.  It seems there are a lot of those types of fans who are currently Sox fans rignt now.  Many of us remembe the 60's and/or the early 90's.  That is why we appreciate what has been happening these last many years.  Do you realize the last time the Sox finished below .500 was back in 1997?  The Sox have been on a great run, I intend to enjoy it, not moan because they go on a losing streak, or fall behind early in a game even.

Think of it this way.  Your sports team is like a friend.  Would you turn your back on a friend that was having a tough time?  So why turn your back on your team if they are going through a tough time?    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Define: WHAT MAKES A FAN:
    [QUOTE]So what say all you Boston fans or other teams fans who like to post on Boston threads. What truely makes a fan a fan? Do you have to watch every single game to be a fan? Is a fan one who can't state an opinion without getting shredded? Does a fan have to agree with the masses? Can a fan never be wrong about their team? Is a fan a fan when they admit they were wrong, but still get bashed? It is funny how some of you love to use the word troll, when in fact, you yourselves have become the trolls. Sitting behind you computer screens searching for those of us who takes stands whether right or wrong, and ripping us for those stands. It amazes me how some of you act like you are never wrong or have ever owned up to it? Does that make you a fan? We all make mistakes, shoot, even Bill-806 admitted he thought the Sox were going to get beat? Does that make him a bad fan? Nope. Some of you fans love to dig on other fans because I guess it makes you feel better or more liked. To me that is not being a fan at all, but just ignorant.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

If it had been a post in the game thread, you probably would've coasted without too much ribbing.
    But, if you are going to start a thread that later blows up in your face, you're going to get comments from everyone on the board.

Moral of the story: Be very careful when picking thread topics.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

OMG

I think niz actually got 1 right

props to antiqueman1 for not hiding and taking the hits

as to the OP

nothing wrong with serving crow in fun

but I agree that's not the only way it's served here

as far as being a '' real fan '' goes

how's your mojo in the morning after a loss

do you feel like a extra little bonce in your step after a win

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Ant-man, I hear you on the negativity that pervades the board much of the time.  However, if you take a stand on an internet chat forum, whether positive or negative, you run the risk of getting flooded with criticism.  Its sort of the nature of the whole thing, no?  I get ripped for being a 'pink-hat' (this term of course is used as liberally as Troll and has no inherent meaning apparently) or an 'apologist' or for 'wearing rose colored glasses' (which in fact i do on sunny days in the summer).  For my own part, I often take issue with people who get down on the club or individuals within the organization when they are struggling.  If the attack is generalized, short-sighted, or mean-spirited, I tend to get a little riled and will rebutt (though i try to keep it civil).  Because, to me, a good fan stands behind his/her team through thick and thin (and i agree with you that my definition need not be another's definition.  Isn't that the way it is supposed to work on a forum board?).  So, type away, I say.  But don't be surprised if you get some heat.  The beauty is, its just words and none of us have to actually relate. haha.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Spaceman got my vote for President of Sox Nation...he is having a fund raiser tonight for only "real" fans...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Harness and Slavic decide what makes a fan. Their fan must be stupid and believe that 5 gold gloves mean nothing, to name a few.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The DirecTV satellites are in the sky right over Texas. It is possible to watch every game in Texas. You make it sound like you are living in a cave.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In Response to Re: Define: WHAT MAKES A FAN:
    [QUOTE]Harness and Slavic decide what makes a fan. Their fan must be stupid and believe that 5 gold gloves mean nothing, to name a few.
    Posted by majorleague[/QUOTE]

Don't forget their enforcer- shotgun mike.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Yes, Telly, I mean baldy, how right you are.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-You should be optimistic, even when common sense dictates otherwise.  We've won 19-29, and swept the NYY on the road.  Yet some 'fans' simply refuse to be optimistic, even when it's called for.

2-You never bash the players unless you absolutely need to.  Tek and Salty certainly haven't shined, but a true fan will emphasize May rather than April.

I didn't comment on your other thread, but there was no reason for it.  None.  We won't win every game.  There was a real good chance that we'd have a letdown after sweeping the NYY, espcially with Dice on the mound.