Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chain-reaction. Show chain-reaction's posts

Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable?

I am not a homer.

not †hat there's anything wrong with that

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable?:
    I am not a homer. not †hat there's anything wrong with that
    Posted by chain-reaction

No you're just Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Come on SPC - and using this sample size, this Yankee team will have over 300 team homeruns. And using the beginning of the season as an example, Youk will be a .200 hitter. And Russell Martin is the new Johnny Bench.  I don't think so any any of these counts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

Good civil and thought out responses from all of the above except that everyone ignored whether posting the Las Vegas odds and the SI article were taboo.

We all know that Babe is a homer but is paraphrasing the media in their choice of Boston being the best team in MLB in 2011 being a homer? Why does repeating media opinions and predictions to be considered to be homerish?

It is fine to have impartial, honest, sincere debate but it is difficult when threads are infected and hijacked by trolls and pretenders. One really needs to have most forum participants on ignore.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Here's an example of homerism: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12602375
    Posted by mrmojo1120

That's an example of euphoria!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I find myself varying my degree of homerism based on the environment and the type of reaction I want to elicit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

"I Shot the Sheriff" --- Beni
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

That is reeeally funny! lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

If anyone feels, and some do, that this is a generic baseball board with all things being equal, they will find homerism not acceptable. In reality, this is a specific team's board, the Boston Red Sox, therefore, there will/should be posters here that are "homers" and they should be acceptable.

As for fans of other teams that come here, if they don't like "homers", they should find an MLB board that is actually meant for all teams' fans. JMO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I value homerism, the objectivity that rebuts homerism, and the resulting diversity of opinion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable? : Why does every topic have to revolve around Wake?  Christ!
    Posted by jimdavis

Every post will about about Ellsbury or Okijima before you know it.  Or maybe even Lowrie, but he seems to have soured on those posts as of late.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

I find it funny how you people call me a homer.  I give credit where credit is due and you all know that.  Especially you Jessey. Babe is the true homer on this forum.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

With all due respect SPC, you are the single biggest homer in the history of this forum.  Like I said in my post above, homerism isn't always a bad thing.  In fact, there are times that I wish I could be as positive about the team as you are.  Not in debate of course, but in general.  Then rational thought processes start to take over, and I snap back to reality.  Such is life.

As for the Babe... While I do believe he's a bit of a homer, much of his homerism here is meant to prod and poke fun at Red Sox fans.  When he's clever about it, I really enjoy it.  He brings a bit of comedy and levity to the forum.  Sure, he gets caught up in his anti-Beckett rants (which gets old), but at least he fully admits he's a homer.  You seem to shy away from it despite all evidence to the contrary.  Much of the flack you get on this board would disappear if you just embraced your true calling--the board's homer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable? : Great name for the rule, you're a good poster 791.  The board needs more objective posters like yourself.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx

Thank you good sir.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

You know what I find funny, 791 (besides the fact that you and Babe never seem to have a problem with your "reply to" button, no matter how many names he creates), guys that are not from Boston that find Babe "funny". A guy who insults women and the military sounds like a real hoot. He, admittedly, comes to a Sox board because he's angry that Sox fans invade his town in the spring. That sounds normal. He loves all things Yankees and hates all thing Red Sox, yet, you center on a Sox fan, on his own board, who you feel is a homer. Hilarious. Whatever gets your Yankee blog going, I guess. You know, the one you said you didn't have. 

Btw, I notice you don't spend anytime defending Smiley-beni, described as the biggest Red Sox homer. Just throwing that out there.  But Beni may not support your blog as much. Too bad for him, I guess.

Since you frequently visit Yankee forums, maybe you can direct those of us not in the know as to the ones where Red Sox fans are there to keep Yankee fans "honest" and "real" -- and the Yankee fans think it's cool and funny.  I can't find anyone who will tell me where it is, and I'd really like to see one.  You'd have to hurry up though, because I doubt Sox fans would last a day there.

Edit post:  You also gotta love the "1,918" reply he gives to almost every question on the board involving numbers. Again, hilarious. My all-time favorite, though, when I first met him as "HeadofTed". Can't get any funnier than that.

What do they say about the company you keep?

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition burns a picture to obtain the ashes. ~ Chinese Proverb

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

Does 791 have a Yankee blog? Do you have a link?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

This link works and leads to Chip's Yankee blog.
    http://itsaboutthemoney.net/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

If anyone feels, and some do, that this is a generic baseball board with all things being equal, they will find homerism not acceptable. In reality, this is a specific team's board, the Boston Red Sox, therefore, there will/should be posters here that are "homers" and they should be acceptable. As for fans of other teams that come here, if they don't like "homers", they should find an MLB board that is actually meant for all teams' fans. JMO
    Posted by kimsaysthis

It is not a generic board and I don't think anyone here would argue differently. That being said, everything here is still equal for all community members. Everyone has a right to be here up until the time when BDC says otherwise.  

As far as homerism is concerned, it should be accepted as a form of fandom. And no one should question it. I think all of us have some level of homerism in us, otherwise we wouldn't be fans of a specific team. But when you post comments and threads which are so far off into left field, then you have to accept the fact that people will either challenge you on content or ridicule you. That is human nature. When you are lewd or disrespectful, then you have to accept the fact that people will come after you and that you will be banned.

As far as Yankee forums are concerned, I really don't know of one that is as good as this one. Personally, I like the BDC forum because of the varying topics which can be linked to in a matter of moments - baseball, football, music, movies, games, etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

Why not one response to these questions since Beni started threads that linked to Sports Illustrated, Las Vegas odds, and AL predictions by media pindits. After he did, he was attacked by Yankee fans and called a homer. Is posting a link to the Sports Illustrated issue which predicted Boston to win the World Series considered homerism? Is posting the Las Vegas odds in March " Homerism "? Is parroting what thousands of articles during the winter said " The best off-season deals were made by the Red Sox" and "the Red Sox were prohibitive favorites" considered to be homerism ?
    Posted by pike

Posting those things is not what makes Beni a homer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

This link works and leads to Chip's Yankee blog -- JamaicaPlain
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, Jamaica. I guess Mrs. Babe didn't show up. That's OK. I'll be here the next time he wants to sing Babe's (Yankee troll) praises on the Red Sox board.

Edit:  Babe, is, of course, the middle-aged man who spends his entire life just trying to annoy Sox fans here, and at home.

Btw, I love it when fans that know him talk to him like he's a kid. It's fascinating.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Homerism is thinking the Salty/Tek combo was a better choice than Vmart.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Mikey, get a life. This is a Red Sox board. Stop talking about Red Sox fans being homers on their own board. You really need to find a Yankee board where you'll be more comfortable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

Homerism is thinking the Salty/Tek combo was a better choice than Vmart.
    Posted by Alibiike

Some fans will call that optimism and patience. Do you remember how impatient many were with Bucholz a few years ago? Do remember how fans were disgusted with Pedroia in his first six weeks with the team? How many had egg on their faces after Oki pitched so great in 2007. Some fans see the glass as half full while others always see it half empty.

"The tendency of sports fans to advocate for their home teams to an unreasonable or irrational degree."

Was waiting for Bucholz and Pedroia to blossom being a homer? Is waiting for Saltalamachia to blossom being a homer? What is realism? I guess that history will tell us the answer. I'll continue being an optimistic fan.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

Mikey, get a life. This is a Red Sox board. Stop talking about Red Sox fans being homers on their own board. You really need to find a Yankee board where you'll be more comfortable.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Hello Kim! how is the queen of the Forum doing?

And thanks for this beautiful post.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable? : Hello Kim! how is the queen of the Forum doing? And thanks for this beautiful post.
    Posted by smiley-beni-2817

Thanks, Beni! I'm great. Hope you're doing well. I remember Mikey from last season. He's playing low-key now, but he is what he is. I call 'em like I see 'em. lol Smile

Btw...loved the "I shot the Sheriff" line. That was really clever and funny!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

I remember Mickey's avatar last year. He was on a golf cart caddying for the Yankees. Kim is right about Mikey being calm and cool right now. Last year he acted much like Babe, in fact they seemed to operate as a tag team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

posted at 4/19/2011 1:00 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=2604c3c63c96eedd7b70408ba89ebd5c&plckUserId=2604c3c63c96eedd7b70408ba89ebd5c">
    First: 8/22/2006
    Last: 4/20/2011
    In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a4b4459bc-40d6-4fda-a832-6fd318177001&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion:4b4459bc-40d6-4fda-a832-6fd318177001Post:42c07e70-702b-423e-9910-0dc1e72cb425">Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable?:
    "What degree of advocating for your team is "unreasonable" or "excessive"?(depends on what you said in relation to topic) Should Red Sox fans in a Red Sox forum be given more leeway than fans of other teams?(on this one i say, yeah, maybe...) Is posting a link to the Sports Illustrated issue which predicted  Boston to win the World Series considered homerism? imo,not really.it's not like you wrote the article) Is posting the Las Vegas odds in March " Homerism "?(were the odds a topic of discussion?) Is parroting what thousands of articles during the winter said " The best off-season deals were made by the Red Sox" and "the Red Sox were prohibitive favorites" considered to be homerism ?(it is if you continue to tout it after results prove otherwise) 
    Posted by pike
    Pike, my responses in blue...only speaking for myself..

Sections
Shortcuts