Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable?

I remember Mickey's avatar last year. He was on a golf cart caddying for the Yankees. Kim is right about Mikey being calm and cool right now. Last year he acted much like Babe, in fact they seemed to operate as a tag team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

posted at 4/19/2011 1:00 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=2604c3c63c96eedd7b70408ba89ebd5c&plckUserId=2604c3c63c96eedd7b70408ba89ebd5c">
    First: 8/22/2006
    Last: 4/20/2011
    In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a4b4459bc-40d6-4fda-a832-6fd318177001&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion:4b4459bc-40d6-4fda-a832-6fd318177001Post:42c07e70-702b-423e-9910-0dc1e72cb425">Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable?:
    "What degree of advocating for your team is "unreasonable" or "excessive"?(depends on what you said in relation to topic) Should Red Sox fans in a Red Sox forum be given more leeway than fans of other teams?(on this one i say, yeah, maybe...) Is posting a link to the Sports Illustrated issue which predicted  Boston to win the World Series considered homerism? imo,not really.it's not like you wrote the article) Is posting the Las Vegas odds in March " Homerism "?(were the odds a topic of discussion?) Is parroting what thousands of articles during the winter said " The best off-season deals were made by the Red Sox" and "the Red Sox were prohibitive favorites" considered to be homerism ?(it is if you continue to tout it after results prove otherwise) 
    Posted by pike
    Pike, my responses in blue...only speaking for myself..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Homerism-who made that term up and why?

Fan comes from the word fanatic, there is nothing logical about being a fanatic.

I may disagree with jessey in thinking lester may be a bit better than hughes, but that is a matter of opinion.Wink

Baseball is a game so it's ok to have a little fun, on the other hand in a serious discussion filled with facts and numbers a fan needs to be more rational.

Since I don't like those types of discussions and I am a fan and I think baseball is fun I don't mind being a little fanatic about my team!!!

Yell GO Sox!!!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe2011. Show Babe2011's posts

In Response to Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable?:
    [QUOTE]You know what I find funny, 791 (besides the fact that you and Babe never seem to have a problem with your "reply to" button, no matter how many names he creates), guys that are not from Boston that find Babe "funny". A guy who insults women and the military sounds like a real hoot. He, admittedly, comes to a Sox board because he's angry that Sox fans invade his town in the spring. That sounds normal. He loves all things Yankees and hates all thing Red Sox, yet, you center on a Sox fan, on his own board, who you feel is a homer. Hilarious. Whatever gets your Yankee blog going, I guess. You know, the one you said you didn't have.  Btw, I notice you don't spend anytime defending Smiley-beni, described as the biggest Red Sox homer. Just throwing that out there.  But Beni may not support your blog as much. Too bad for him, I guess. Since you frequently visit Yankee forums, maybe you can direct those of us not in the know as to the ones where Red Sox fans are there to keep Yankee fans "honest" and "real" -- and the Yankee fans think it's cool and funny.  I can't find anyone who will tell me where it is, and I'd really like to see one.  You'd have to hurry up though, because I doubt Sox fans would last a day there. Edit post:  You also gotta love the "1,918" reply he gives to almost every question on the board involving numbers. Again, hilarious. My all-time favorite, though, when I first met him as "HeadofTed". Can't get any funnier than that. What do they say about the company you keep? He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition burns a picture to obtain the ashes. ~ Chinese Proverb

Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Again you show reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

I never insulted the military, I questioned hammah's supposed military service. Big difference.

And insulting you is not insulting women, you are an insult to women if in fact you are even female.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Being a homer and being a fan are not the same thing...we're all here because we root for a certain team, and we're all biased towards our team in some degree. 

Yet only a handful of individuals continually get labeled "homers"...I don't expect Pike to ever figure out why. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

You know what I find funny, 791 (besides the fact that you and Babe never seem to have a problem with your "reply to" button, no matter how many names he creates), guys that are not from Boston that find Babe "funny". A guy who insults women and the military sounds like a real hoot. 

Um...I've gone on record numerous times as saying that I don't support his non-baseball slur comments.  The reason I defended him earlier is that I'd never seen that version of Babe.  I've only seen the version that comes in tries to amusingly bait Red Sox fans--which he does with great ease.  Rather than take the bait, I'd rather play along with him.  By this, I don't mean that I'm going to bait Red Sox fans, but I do mean that I'm not going to fight back.  Red Sox fans are easy targets for Yankee fans, but not vice-versa.  Why do YOU think that is?

He, admittedly, comes to a Sox board because he's angry that Sox fans invade his town in the spring. That sounds normal. He loves all things Yankees and hates all thing Red Sox, yet, you center on a Sox fan, on his own board, who you feel is a homer. Hilarious. 

Not exactly.  Since you're not all that great with comprehending the written word, allow me to explain once again.  I said that Babe has never claimed to be anything but a Yankee homer.  SPC 1988 repeatedly claims to be objective.  Anyone with a couple of brain cells, and the ability to read beyond a third grade level can see this.  You and SPC are apparently the only ones that don't.  Furthermore, I'm not faulting SPC for being a homer.  In a way, I almost admire it.  That said, I don't admire it in an analytical forum.  All I was suggesting is that he embrace who he is.  I, for one, would respect him a lot more if he did.

Whatever gets your Yankee blog going, I guess. You know, the one you said you didn't have. 

First of all, the blog you were referring to, Billy Beane is my Hero was not a Yankee blog, but a baseball-wide blog.  Secondly, I've since shut that down to blog to focus on writing for three other publications for which I was ASKED to write.  The first one being Fire Brand of the American League, a blog about the Red Sox (starting writing for it in February).  The second being It's About the Money Stupid, a blog about the Yankees (started writing in March).  The third being occasional contributions to ESPN.  Perhaps you don't like Red Sox fans mingling with Yankee fans, but I do.  I'm anti-segregationist.  Not that it matters, but the reason I was asked to write for IIATMS is two fold:  (1) I'm analytical and (2) I'm able to write objectively about both teams, which quite frankly is a rarity among fans of the two rivals.  Perhaps you see this as a bad thing, but I don't. 

Btw, I notice you don't spend anytime defending Smiley-beni, described as the biggest Red Sox homer. 

I avoid every topic smiley-beni starts, so that makes ignoring him easier.  Also, I'm convinced he's a clever Yankee fan who's subversively making fun of Red Sox fans. 

Just throwing that out there.  But Beni may not support your blog as much. Too bad for him, I guess.

The more I read your post, the more I'm starting to think you're an SPC clone.  You are the only one other than him who has an issue with my blog. 

Since you frequently visit Yankee forums, maybe you can direct those of us not in the know as to the ones where Red Sox fans are there to keep Yankee fans "honest" and "real" -- and the Yankee fans think it's cool and funny.  I can't find anyone who will tell me where it is, and I'd really like to see one.  You'd have to hurry up though, because I doubt Sox fans would last a day there.

Um...the only Yankee forum I've ever posted at was Cano4Kemp, and that's because my good buddy Lowell4MVP invited me to join him over there.  I haven't posted there since February or March because I don't have the time.  I've maybe made a handful of posts.

Edit post:  You also gotta love the "1,918" reply he gives to almost every question on the board involving numbers. Again, hilarious. My all-time favorite, though, when I first met him as "HeadofTed". Can't get any funnier than that.

What do they say about the company you keep?

What?  Not really sure what you're saying kim.  If you'd kindly tell me when you're done grinding that ax you've been working on for a while now, I'd greatly appreciate it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]This link works and leads to Chip's Yankee blog. http://itsaboutthemoney.net/
    Posted by JamaicaPlain67[/QUOTE]

While I appreciate you pointing out a site I write for, I should mention that this is not my blog.  I write for the site once a week, and there are eight other writers.  If you'd like to read good, objective pieces on the enemy, feel free. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable? : Again you show reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I never insulted the military, I questioned hammah's supposed military service. Big difference. And insulting you is not insulting women, you are an insult to women if in fact you are even female.
    Posted by Babe2011[/QUOTE]

The fact that you, a Yankee troll, can come here, time and time again, not even having to hide who you are after being banned 1,000 times says more to me about this forum than anything. And you ALWAYS have your "reply to" button. It's your bread and butter here. You would be nothing without it since your whole existence is just questioning, contradicting and insulting other posts. Isn't that convenient for you?  I think so. 

And I'm not the only one who saw you insult the military and women, Hammah and his/yours friends may have a different opinion. They may also have a different opinion about insulting certain women as opposed to insulting all women. Probably why we have nothing in common. But then again, the majority of posters here are from the NY metro area, and not even actually from Boston. Maybe their tolerance for Yankee trolls is different. I would assume that's why they narrowed the board this way using no-lifers, like yourself, who have alot of time on their hands.

Congrats, you're back, yet again.  And with a "reply button" in clearly intact.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable? : The fact that you, a Yankee troll, can come here, time and time again, not even having to hide who you are after being banned 1,000 times says more to me about this forum than anything. And you ALWAYS have your "reply to" button. It's your bread and butter here. You would be nothing without it since your whole existence is just questioning, contradicting and insulting other posts. Isn't that convenient for you?  I think so.  And I'm not the only one who saw you insult the military and women, Hammah and his/yours friends may have a different opinion. They may also have a different opinion about insulting certain women as opposed to insulting all women. Probably why we have nothing in common. But then again, the majority of posters here are from the NY metro area, and not even actually from Boston. Maybe their tolerance for Yankee trolls is different. I would assume that's why they narrowed the board this way using no-lifers, like yourself, who have alot of time on their hands. Congrats, you're back, yet again.  And with a "reply button" in clearly intact.

So says the poster who just replied to a post...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

You know what 791, I don't have time to reply to your whole post right now.  But one thing I will say is your description of this as an "analytical forum" is fascinating. All posters, IMO, who don't respect the fact that this is a Red Sox forum try to change it into a generic forum about all teams -- no team being the main subject. Your opinion that this is an "analytical forum" sounds like a place you go to run your ideas past unsuspecting posters so that you can get your basis for the next article you're writing. A lab, if you will, with no bearing on fan affiliation or fan base, since some posters here have already cleaned the slate for someone like you.

I've just never heard a fan call a sports forum an "analytical" forum.  But you're not really a fan, right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

You know what 791, I don't have time to reply to your whole post right now.  But one thing I will say is your description of this as an "analytical forum" is fascinating. 

I meant that in the generic term, not in terms of this board.  Still, we could consider it an analytical forum.  We are having debates--usually about baseball, but occasionally one of is gets dragged into one of these asinine round robins because certain people like to attack others.  I won't name names.  During debates, facts are usually thrown out, and analysis is provided to back up the facts.  So in a way, I would call this an analytical forum.

All posters, IMO, who don't respect the fact that this is a Red Sox forum try to change it into a generic forum about all teams -- no team being the main subject. 

Funny thing is that most of the non-Red Sox topics are started by Red Sox fans ripping on the Yankees--which by the way are most decidedly not directly related to the Red Sox.  Furthermore, no one is trying to make this forum into anything but a Red Sox forum, despite your attempts to paint it that way.  I come here to talk about the Red Sox. 

Your opinion that this is an "analytical forum" sounds like a place you go to run your ideas past unsuspecting posters so that you can get your basis for the next article you're writing. A lab, if you will, with no bearing on fan affiliation or fan base, since some posters here have already cleaned the slate for someone like you.

Yeah, no.  If you've ever read any of my articles, you'd find that most of my ideas come from reading a mainstream article or blog post, and I expand upon it.  Give further details, context, and analysis.  Out of the nearly 500 articles I've written since October, maybe 5 or 6 have been inspired by something I read in this forum.

I've just never heard a fan call a sports forum an "analytical" forum.  But you're not really a fan, right?

Oh yes.  My favorite.  If you like to analyze the game, you're not really a fan.  This kind of anti-intellectual argument shows that you don't have an argument.   Also, when did I call sports an analytical forum?  Either way, nice job.  You're a disrespectful moron who's wasting all of our time.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I call 'em like I see 'em. Posted by kimsaysthis

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Zac-LOL

Funny picture, how did you get a picture with me and my cane?Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Btw, I notice you don't spend anytime defending Smiley-beni, described as the biggest Red Sox homer. 

I avoid every topic smiley-beni starts, so that makes ignoring him easier.  Also, I'm convinced he's a clever Yankee fan who's subversively making fun of Red Sox fans.  (RS791)

I hope you are wrong on this - that would be just sad and wrong on so many levels. And if you are right and he is a Yankee fan, then he needs to just shoot himself in the hands so he can never go near a computer again.

Why does this conversation keep coming back to Beni?

Kim - in your continuing defense of Beni, you never once admit to how outlandish some of his threads are. And yet you have no problem getting on RS 791's case for not defending the silliness of most of these threads. In fact, most of his threads aren't even about the Red Sox or actual conversation about what is really transpiring on the field. They are mostly about the Yankees and his very poor attempts to humorously put them down.  But this is a Sox forum, as you say, so I'm cool with all of it.

Now you think that no one should question Beni, especially Sox fans. Why can't Sox fans say anything negative about them? Especially when he disappears when the Sox go into even the tiniest of slumps and other Sox fans have to take up the battle because of one of his comments. Why ?

Don't get me wrong - I love Beni's threads. I also think he is good for the board.

And regarding Babe - when he posted that insulting comment, if I remember correctly, just about every NY fan here including myself replied back to him that it was inappropriate. I will make no excuses for him because I do not agree with him. We have had our battles about this long before you got here. He keeps getting banned and coming back. Obviously we have no control over that. What is the old saying, you can't beat a dead horse (or something like that).

Now everyone have a great day. Especially you Beni - you may not like me anymore, but I still think you are great.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]Mikey, get a life. This is a Red Sox board. Stop talking about Red Sox fans being homers on their own board. You really need to find a Yankee board where you'll be more comfortable.

There are non-homers who are big Red Sox fans on this board.  Kim way to come to Smiley's defense!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

I hope you are wrong on this - that would be just sad and wrong on so many levels. And if you are right and he is a Yankee fan, then he needs to just shoot himself in the hands so he can never go near a computer again.

Jessey -

Perhaps, I should correct myself.  I'm hoping this is true for comedy value alone.  If you think about it, his posts would be a brilliant satire of the most homerific fans in Red Sox Nation.  Also, consider the irony.  He's a Yankee fan who pretends so hard to be the biggest Red Sox fan on an anonymous forum that even considers for a second that he loves their biggest enemy.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I hope you are wrong on this - that would be just sad and wrong on so many levels. And if you are right and he is a Yankee fan, then he needs to just shoot himself in the hands so he can never go near a computer again. Jessey - Perhaps, I should correct myself.  I'm hoping this is true for comedy value alone.  If you think about it, his posts would be a brilliant satire of the most homerific fans in Red Sox Nation.  Also, consider the irony.  He's a Yankee fan who pretends so hard to be the biggest Red Sox fan on an anonymous forum that even considers for a second that he loves their biggest enemy.    
    Posted by redsoxfan791[/QUOTE]

If you are right, then I bow down to Beni.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Oh Beni! you're so funny!