Demarlo Hale a candidate for manager?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan28. Show redsoxfan28's posts

Demarlo Hale a candidate for manager?

Orioles third-base coach DeMarlo Hale has been rumored to be a candidate for the Boston Red Sox managerial job now that Bobby Valentine has been fired.

Hale, 51, spent six seasons on former Boston manager Terry Francona’s staff, including two years as Francona’s bench coach, before joining the Orioles this season.

He said he hasn’t heard anything from the Red Sox organization regarding the job and one industry source said there hadn’t been a formal interview request for Hale yet.

Hale said he’d have interest, but it’s not something he is considering right now.

“I’d have to think about it, no question, but right now my focus is this team, what we’ve accomplished so far and what is ahead of us,” Hale said. “I think I can only be fair to Buck Showalter if my focus is here. I’ve always put things in the order of what it should be. And that’s the Baltimore Orioles and the playoffs.”

Toronto Blue Jays manager John Farrell, the Red Sox’s former pitching coach under Francona, is considered the leading candidate for the job.

-Baltimore Sun

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

Re: Demarlo Hale a candidate for manager?

In response to redsoxfan28's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Orioles third-base coach DeMarlo Hale has been rumored to be a candidate for the Boston Red Sox managerial job now that Bobby Valentine has been fired.

Hale, 51, spent six seasons on former Boston manager Terry Francona’s staff, including two years as Francona’s bench coach, before joining the Orioles this season.

He said he hasn’t heard anything from the Red Sox organization regarding the job and one industry source said there hadn’t been a formal interview request for Hale yet.

Hale said he’d have interest, but it’s not something he is considering right now.

“I’d have to think about it, no question, but right now my focus is this team, what we’ve accomplished so far and what is ahead of us,” Hale said. “I think I can only be fair to Buck Showalter if my focus is here. I’ve always put things in the order of what it should be. And that’s the Baltimore Orioles and the playoffs.”

Toronto Blue Jays manager John Farrell, the Red Sox’s former pitching coach under Francona, is considered the leading candidate for the job.

-Baltimore Sun

[/QUOTE]

an outstanding choice

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Hale was a good third base coach. As a bench coach , he did not appear to be very effective.  I don't see what he has done to make him a good managerial candidate.  I would not rule him out , but there should be better options.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Denny, could you please post a list of the criteria that one uses to evaluate a bench coach. Ten items will suffice since I know that you are a busy man.

[/QUOTE]

What exactly are a bench coach's duties ?  Please take time from your busy schedule and post a list of ten items for which a bench coach is responsible .  Here is a start for you : 1 - Coaching the bench.  2-  Trying to figure out where some of the guys on the bench have disappeared to.  3 - Consult with the pitching coach and manager as to the whereabouts of the starting pitchers who are not in the game.  4 - Perhaps , walking back to the clubhouse to see what is going on.  5 - Actually acting like someone in a supervisory capacity.  Maybe you can fill in the rest , Jimmy.  I'm too busy now.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK but I thought that you were talking in general about bench coaches and criteria that apply to every team and every year. I wasn't aware that you were zeroing in once again on ChickenGate.  Isn't that cow out of the barn and the water is over the dam. Why not move on?

[/QUOTE]

I have moved on , Jimmy.  But I am not enthusiastic about promoting the guy who left the barn door open.  P.S. It is not so much about the chicken or even the beer. It is about the lack of respect.  And , about the failure of those in positions of authority to do their job.  That sort of thing hurts the team that we both love.  As for bench coaches in general , I think they are mostly just more unnecessary overhead on the payroll.  If you have to have them , then at least let them help the manager.  I don't see where Hale did that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No manager or coach could control Beckett, who was the obvious "leader" of that little clique...Lester was humbled this year and personally I think he will grow from this experience. Lackey had to sit and watch all this happen and one would think that he'd like to prove that he can still be a solid contributor in this, or someones rotation...DeMarlo Hale had 95% of that dugout...3 guys out of 25 were doing this, so lets not act like it was the whole team...They didnt listen to their captain and to Papi either...There comes a point where grown men are not going to babysit other grown men...I blame the guys ho acted inappropriately, not the coaches...