1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

"Dempster Delivers"??

I hate the article headlines sometimes.

The thing I noticed most about his performance was the number of pitches left up and over the plate that would have been mashed out of the park by many of the other teams we play regularly ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re:

why just the other teams? The Rockies have a number of guys that can go deep. They have a good offensive team. I agree about leaving a couple pitches up, but hes no different than every other pitcher. The TOTR guys do it less, but hes not one of those guys. He gave them what you want your 4 or 5 to do. a QS and keep them in the game.

I read that article and another one on Dempster today. They got what they thought they were getting. An above average MLB pitcher who will take the ball every 5th day, give them about 200IP, keep them in ballgames, and be a good veteran leader and example to the other players. They paid a little extra for him to sign for 2 years, but he has pretty much been as advertised.

The stats dont lie. Nobody claimed this guy was a TOTR pitcher. They needed a solid BOTR pitcher that they have really lacked the last few years. The Bedards, Byrds, and Pennys of the world were not getting that job done.

Alex Speier is a very good boston columnest who worte a good article with good factual information about Dempster...

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/06/26/ballast-why-ryan-dempster-proving-very-valuabl

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re:

The Rockies are No. 2 in the NL in hitting, runs, and home runs. Dempster wasn't great, but I'll  take 6 IP/2 ER from our No. 3-4 guy on any night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re:

In response to lasitter's comment:

The thing I noticed most about his performance was the number of pitches left up and over the plate that would have been mashed out of the park by many of the other teams we play regularly ...

This is really a complaint wouldn't you rather a guy give up a solo shot over a walk and a double? Solo home runs are just hits.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Re: Glad we won, but ...

Sorry guys, but this just was not a great pitching performance. You've got to go low in the zone and paint the corners if you want to thrive in the bigs.

Go back and LOOK at his pitch placement. Given where we are with Lester and Buck, I'm glad we have Dempster, but I'd be much happier if he were better at this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Re: Plots ...

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=6&day=25&year=2013&game=gid_2013_06_25_colmlb_bosmlb_1%2F&pitchSel=133225&prevGame=gid_2013_06_25_colmlb_bosmlb_1%2F&prevDate=625

I'm no expert at reading pitching graphs, but this doesn't look like painting the corners at first glance ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re:

Nobody said it was "great". Hes been giving them a ton of QS, and thats what you want from your 4 or 5. Too bad he wasnt getting any run support early on or his record could easily be flipped around. In his last 6 starts he has not given up more than 3 runs and no less than 6IP.

7IP or more 3 times, 6IP 3 times, 3 runs 3 times, and 2 runs 3 times. An average of 5-6 hits per game. in that time he has dropped his ERA by about half a run.

Im not sure what you are complaining about.

By the way, some of his balls were meant to be high heat. He reached 93MPH on the gun last noight. Thats good for him since hes more around the 88-91 area.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re:

Sorry guys, but this just was not a great pitching performance. You've got to go low in the zone and paint the corners if you want to thrive in the bigs.

Go back and LOOK at his pitch placement. Given where we are with Lester and Buck, I'm glad we have Dempster, but I'd be much happier if he were better at this.

No, it wasn't a great performance, but it certainly was a good performance.  Dempster will leave some balls up.  This is an achilles heel.  But it also a strength.  One of the big reasons his K rate is so high is that he can work the zone and get a guy to chase the high cheese.  Yes, he leaves balls up a little too often for comfort and has a knack for giving up the long ball.  This is why is not a top of the rotation type.  Good thing he wasn't hired to be that type.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re:

Nobody said it was great, not even the Globe, but it sure was timely after losing 3 of 4 to the Tigers and against a good hitting Rockies team.  Dempster the mailman delivered 6 innings while giving up 2 runs.

Going low and painting the corners is tough when the umps usually don't give pitchers low strikes, let alone low strikes on the corners. 

The way to thrive, as you put it, is to have great stuff--fast ball and breaking balls--and pretty good command of your pitches. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re:

Headlines are a notorious joke.  Not written by the writer of the article, and designed to mislead to persuade people to read on.

Sections
Shortcuts