In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

4.33........124-124 lifetime.......NL pitcher

NO...NO...NO

[/QUOTE]

+10000000000

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: dempster .do not do it sox.

They're going to send out Dempster and Lackey to get shelled, relieved in the 4th inning game out of hand, back to back every five days all through a long last place season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

and all we will hear...."we tried but it just didn't work out..."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seeker4008. Show seeker4008's posts

We all know signing Dempter will be a disaster. If they do this and it turns out as we all expect  the front office needs to go. Better off with Morales in the 5th spot than Dempster.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Why spend that kind of $$$ for a guy like dempster? Just give the job to Morales if your gonna throw $$$ away like that. If your going to waste money this winter on FA pitching, at  least sign one of the overpriced guys who have a solid chance of WINNING in Boston. Guys like Dempster, Loshe, Capuano etc., are wastes of time and $$$.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Why spend that kind of $$$ for a guy like dempster? Just give the job to Morales if your gonna throw $$$ away like that. If your going to waste money this winter on FA pitching, at  least sign one of the overpriced guys who have a solid chance of WINNING in Boston. Guys like Dempster, Loshe, Capuano etc., are wastes of time and $$$.

Who is that overpriced guy who has "a soild chance of WINNING in Boston"?

Last season Anibal Sanchez posted a WAR of 2.3 in 19 National League starts before being traded to the American League where Sanchez posted a WAR of 1.4 in 12 starts.

Last season Ryan Dempster posted a WAR of 2.1 in 16 National League starts before being traded to the American League where Dempster posted a WAR of 1.2 in 12 starts.

Sanchez had a combined WAR of 3.8 in 31 starts while Dempster had a combined WAR of 3.3 in 28 starts.

I would not be surprised if Sanchez and Dempster landed correspondingly similar contracts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last season Anibal Sanchez posted a WAR of 2.3 in 19 National League starts before being traded to the American League where Sanchez posted a WAR of 1.4 in 12 starts.

Last season Ryan Dempster posted a WAR of 2.1 in 16 National League starts before being traded to the American League where Dempster posted a WAR of 1.2 in 12 starts.

Sanchez had a combined WAR of 3.8 in 31 starts while Dempster had a combined WAR of 3.3 in 28 starts.

I would not be surprised if Sanchez and Dempster landed correspondingly similar contracts.

[/QUOTE]

Dollars per year will likely be in the same neighborhood.  The Sox like Dempster because he'll give them innings and experience in the back of the rotation.  He'll be a short term guy, and like the rest of their signings, they don't lose a draft pick, and they all could have value at the trading deadline if they aren't competitive.

The pure hatred for the Dempster on this board is a little strange, especially when you consider all of the love for a guy like McCarthy, who has shoulder issues, he's never won more than 9 games in a season, he's never come close to throwing 200 innings and he hasn't thrown a pitch since he got hit in the face with a line drive, which no one seems to think is a big deal.  He may be a risk/reward guy, but there were teams who wouldn't even consider a multi-year deal for this guy....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  While I despise threads that begin, "Explain to me...,"  or "Tell me why..." because the jackbottoms that usually start them are not going to listen to reasonable explanations and understand other perspectives anyway.  However, this potential move has me stumped.  I really don't get it.  The only thing I can think of is that it's setting up another move involving either Buchholz or Lester where they're trading a value contract to take on a bigger one for a  performance upgrade.  In this case, Dempster maybe provides some extra leverage.  I realize it's a bit of a stretch.  

Other than that, it may be that the baseball people think they've discovered a flaw during his Texas time and it is either something fixable or an abberation.  His age and longterm numbers against AL lineups suggest otherwise, but I'm willing to listen to ideas from posters who know something about pitching, especially about mechanics.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Why spend that kind of $$$ for a guy like dempster? Just give the job to Morales if your gonna throw $$$ away like that. If your going to waste money this winter on FA pitching, at  least sign one of the overpriced guys who have a solid chance of WINNING in Boston.Guys like Dempster, Loshe, Capuano etc., are wastes of time and $$$.

[/QUOTE]

Dollars per year will likely be in the same neighborhood.  The Sox like Dempster because he'll give them innings and experience in the back of the rotation.  He'll be a short term guy, and like the rest of their signings, they don't lose a draft pick, and they all could have value at the trading deadline if they aren't competitive.

The pure hatred for the Dempster on this board is a little strange, especially when you consider all of the love for a guy like McCarthy, who has shoulder issues, he's never won more than 9 games in a season, he's never come close to throwing 200 innings and he hasn't thrown a pitch since he got hit in the face with a line drive, which no one seems to think is a big deal.  He may be a risk/reward guy, but there were teams who wouldn't even consider a multi-year deal for this guy....

[/QUOTE]

I hadn't seen this post when I posted mine.  Good explanations, Jasko.  Thank you.  I understand the situation a little more clearly now, but it's not exactly the type of thing that's going to give me a chubby as a fan.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

At this point I'll take any pitching we can get. I trust no one who is currently on the RS staff. People he had only 12 starts in Texas and missed some starts there due to any injury [too small a sample size to say he would be terrible in AL]. His last 5 yrs have been his best, he's comparable to Marcum and some other names being thrown out as a solution. As long as 2yrs max I'll take any arm we can get because it can't be much worse than what Lackey / Cook / Dice K / K.Weiland / and others gave us the past 2 seasons. With both pitching for same Cubs team=

2011 M.Garza [best season pitching for Cubs] 10-10  3.32 era  198 ip  197 k's 1.258 whip

2010 R. Dempster [Cubs]                              15-12  3.85 era  215 ip  208 k's 1.319 whip

People on this board go crazy for M.Garza, but while I like Garza the cost to get him would be at least 1 top prospect and thats if he's healthy. Dempster will only cost us $ and RS still are not even in top 5 of payroll. Dempster was having best season of career last yr, then traded to Texas and then tweaked his hamstring. If for only 2 yrs I would sign, but sounds like I might be only one. Short term deals don't hurt as much if they don't work out. But things are not going smoothly w/ Mets - Dickey negotiations, RS should continue to try to work out a deal but no Bogaerts or JBJ [Webster and a lesser sounds about right]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Dempster is a tool. He proved it with the Cubs when he would not accept a trade to the Braves. He was not well liked in the Clubhouse or within management for that selfish act.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BombBuster. Show BombBuster's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Dipsy "Dempster" | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

[/QUOTE]

For those that have no idea what this is- it is used to train on escape procedures on military aircarft that simulates a crash in the ocean. I spent 8yrs in as a Navy Aircrewman and have been through this thing many times.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Last season Zack Greinke posted a WAR of 3.8 in 21 National League starts before being traded to the American League where Greinke posted a WAR of 1.3 in 13 starts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]"corresponding contracts"

Could happen 55.

I think Sanchez is the better of the two and reports have him looking fo multi years at 90M. He probably won't get it with 3 tours on the DL with shoulder issues.

Dempster is almost a given to give you 190 innings but I'am not sure they would be strong innings.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dempster is a tool. He proved it with the Cubs when he would not accept a trade to the Braves. He was not well liked in the Clubhouse or within management for that selfish act.

[/QUOTE]

We're you in the clubhouse? How can you make that statement without proof? What is wrong with wanting to stay some where or not go to a place you do not want to? If you make a move to make  the FO happy or another team mate but not yourself you are a complete idiot? 

You have a no trade clause and do not use it how stupid is that?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Far too many only look at era or w/l or one stat to say a guy is good or bad.

you do not look at others unless they help support your theory. 

Dempster suks and use the career ERA or W/L. so you say he is over the hill etc.....but do not look at strength of the team. CC was a 500 team most of the time. Nor do you look at the game logs to see he had two bad games in Texas which pushed the era up. you disregard that his era over the past 5 years was usually below 4.00.

you use what fits your theory and if you see a fact that does not fit you conviently leave it out. 

Thank god no one here is a GM.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Far too many only look at era or w/l or one stat to say a guy is good or bad.

you do not look at others unless they help support your theory. 

Dempster suks and use the career ERA or W/L. so you say he is over the hill etc.....but do not look at strength of the team. CC was a 500 team most of the time. Nor do you look at the game logs to see he had two bad games in Texas which pushed the era up. you disregard that his era over the past 5 years was usually below 4.00.

you use what fits your theory and if you see a fact that does not fit you conviently leave it out. 

Thank god no one here is a GM.

[/QUOTE]

its not just the small sample size of his AL starts last year... his entire career against the AL has been dreadful (except the sox). i'm not saying he is going to be a complete bust... hes just not who i would have picked

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron attempts to dispel the myths:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/ryan-dempster-quality-al-pitcher/

It's a must-read.

Sections
Shortcuts