Dempster from the Dumpster Apparently Sets the 2013 Red Sox Rotation Unless There is a Blockbuster (I doubt it)

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Dempster from the Dumpster Apparently Sets the 2013 Red Sox Rotation Unless There is a Blockbuster (I doubt it)

The best thing about short term deals is that it allows for flexibility going forward.  There didn't seem to be anyway out from under the multiple long term deals that Theo left but the Dodgers bailed us out and I think now Ben is trying to take an approach that allows the FO to be more open to different options.  I'm not sold on the 2013 roster but I see the rationale to  and the moves and see Ben trying to address needs.

Dempster is an overpay but if he produces 200 IP and 15 wins in 2013 it is money well spent.  If he is a disaster in 2013, at least it is only 1 more year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Dempster from the Dumpster Apparently Sets the 2013 Red Sox Rotation Unless There is a Blockbuster (I doubt it)

I only wish the FO would admit they plan on not competing for 2013.... and with so many near 40 year olds being added on 3 year deals it may be that 2014 is a wash to. At least tell us this is the plan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I only wish the FO would admit they plan on not competing for 2013."

I'm all for more transparency but you can't say that. Not if you want to sell tickets. I would take a slight issue with your statement. I believe the Sox are spending enough $ to win some games and have a decent team. But, they are not investing in a World Series team. They are signing "bridge" type contracts, buying time until younger guys can come up. They know they can't play small market and not sign anyone. So they have found a middle ground of sorts. Not a real satisfying one I will grant you. 

Softy as for the rotation you left out the possibility for injury. Lester and Buch in particular have had trouble staying healthy. I'll give Lester a C at this point, he lost velocity. I'll give Lackey an F for now. Glad they didn't break the bank for a pitcher of dubious quality but this rotation is not good enough - yet. 

"He is toying with you."

Actually he's toying with you, you're the one who's upset. 

"You are the puppet."

Not at all - just responding to a baseball topic with baseball conversations. You should try closing out your other active scren names and try it as well (softy has no other active screen names, just older banned names). Whether the poster fully believes what they are saying is irrelevant. Whether they are on topic matters. It's a baseball forum not a networking session. If you can realize that you will regain your sanity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Spanker I would still watch games, check box score every day, and go to Fenway (if I were in Boston) even if they did admit it. If they promised to play the youth and bring in some better players via 2014 FA or trade I think you would see people still excited to see the team.

Now if we were going to enter 3 plus years of this (alah Cleveland, Pittsburgh) then of course people would dissapear. We both know the team has too much money to go dormant for more than a year or two.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Spanker I would still watch games, check box score every day, and go to Fenway (if I were in Boston) even if they did admit it. If they promised to play the youth and bring in some better players via 2014 FA or trade I think you would see people still excited to see the team.

Now if we were going to enter 3 plus years of this (alah Cleveland, Pittsburgh) then of course people would dissapear. We both know the team has too much money to go dormant for more than a year or two.

[/QUOTE]

Name one company that is completely transparent about the product they sell. Marketing matters if you want to stay in business.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I know it doesnt look strong, but I rather to have Dempster just for two years than trying to sigh Lohse who wanted a 3 plus years contract or Sanchez who wanted 5 years contract.  

This year free agency suck anyway!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I get it. Dempster rhymes with Dumpster.  I see what you did there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

He will go 3-0 in July with an era of 1.80 and joebreidy, moonslav, and drewski will rave about him.... that 3-0 will be cushioned with 2-5 5.20 on each end.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Marketing matters if you want to stay in business.

Baseball isn't real business, it's a closed shop. Value matters if you want to stay in real business. Marketing isn't what the Red Sox have been doing. They have been selling Big Labor as delivering playoff winning baseball. It's failed and no one is buying sales. Marketing will be when the actually deliver a product that provides the value that is winning playoff baseball.

[/QUOTE]

They are selling sports entertainment. If winning playoff baseball sells then the Tampa Bay Rays should be rolling in dough. But they ignored one of the principles of marketing. It matters where you locate your business. The Red Sox have a great location, so the need for playoff wins is not as great. They market a day at the balllpark as good family entertaqinment and so far the fans have been buying. When their ticket sales decrease, they will have to adapt in whatever way they think will work.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Marketing matters if you want to stay in business.

Baseball isn't real business, it's a closed shop. Value matters if you want to stay in real business. Marketing isn't what the Red Sox have been doing. They have been selling Big Labor as delivering playoff winning baseball. It's failed and no one is buying sales. Marketing will be when the actually deliver a product that provides the value that is winning playoff baseball.

[/QUOTE]

They are selling sports entertainment. If winning playoff baseball sells then the Tampa Bay Rays should be rolling in dough. But they ignored one of the principles of marketing. It matters where you locate your business. The Red Sox have a great location, so the need for playoff wins is not as great. They market a day at the balllpark as good family entertaqinment and so far the fans have been buying. When their ticket sales decrease, they will have to adapt in whatever way they think will work.

[/QUOTE]

makes a point

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

If winning playoff baseball sells then the Tampa Bay Rays should be rolling in dough

I never said winning playoff baseball sells, not that Rays have ever won any titles. I said that the Red Sox aren't marketing, they are selling. And if you think "a great family night at the ballpark" will sell tickets then you haven't paid attention lately. "They'll have to adjust", you bet they will, because "selling an empty promise for winning baseball" is already empty seats and concession sales down, despite the  "continous sellouts".

Everyone should note that "a great family night at the ballpark" is all it takes to get an idiot to unload a bunch of money for losing baseball.

The Durham Bulls is a "great family night at the ballpark". 

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the Durham Bulls offer great entertainment too. How someone decides to spend their entertainment dollars says nothing about their intelligence. Sports entertainment is not soley about winning or losing. Otherwise, losing teams would not draw enough fans to stay in business. How do sports leagues survive when there must always be winning and losing teams? Because fans simply enjoy the experience. You seem to have trouble grasping that simple concept.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know it doesnt look strong, but I rather to have Dempster just for two years than trying to sigh Lohse who wanted a 3 plus years contract or Sanchez who wanted 5 years contract.  

This year free agency suck anyway!!!

[/QUOTE]

then wouldnt have been better to sign fewer guys but who could make an impact, like a hamilton or grienke?   Ben has been very active in this sukky market....what youre saying makes no sense

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

John Lannan could have been had for 1 year/2.5 million............... And would probably be better than Dempster.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

entertainment is not soley about winning or losing.

A foolish blanket statement of nonsense. It depends on the price of the sports team entertainment. Ask Yankee fans if it's "about the experience", and see if you can find more than a smattering of "great family night we chose" fans. Your comment is captious and as such is jaded.

[/QUOTE]

There you go again. Trotting out you favorite words "captious" and "jaded" that don't at all describe anything I have said. The price of sports entertainment has to do with the demand for it and what price the particular market will bear. Your blanket statement about Yankee fans is captious and jaded too. Actually, it reveals your deep cynicism. Your view of fans as mercenaries who only will pay a high price to watch a winning team is wrong. Many people have emotional and sentimental reasons for going to the ballpark. They don't put a price on it.