Dempster Getting No Run Support

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Dempster Getting No Run Support

Dempster could easily have 8 or 9 wins this year. Theres always one pitcher every year that this seems to happen to.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just shows how wins are team stats. Pitchers make a big difference, but wins and losses are a team effort.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A silly OP, but Peter Abraham also wrote about it.  I do look at wins at losses for pitchers, but think ERA, WHIP, etc are more important.  With the DH, American League pitchers can't help the run support.  There can be no doubt, however, the lineup is trying very hard to score runs for any pitcher, even when the guy is doing a lousy job.  Hitters want to hit, period. 

I do think there is a little synergy between the pitcher and the lineup, because the lineup also plays defense.  And I'll bet they prefer to be backing up a pitcher who gets on with business and doesn't take an inordinate amount of time between pitches.  They probably also don't like it when a pitcher stares at them after an error or makes a gesture of disgust. 

I think Dempster is less than perfect, but businesslike on the mound.  He is, as George Will says, a "man at work."  He seems to me to fit in with this team well, and the lack of run support is coincidental, which it is for most pitchers.   

Sections
Shortcuts