Dempster gives up 3 ER and 1 Homer in 5 IP & Rounding into Season form

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Dempster gives up 3 ER and 1 Homer in 5 IP & Rounding into Season form

In response to tomnev's comment:

We are not asking the world from Dempster as a 4 or 5.....a 4.50 ERA would be a big improvement over what we had last year and I think he can do that....the fact that he can do that and pitch 200+ innings keeps us in games and keeps the BP from being overused as opposed to so many guys we had last year who were done after 3 or 4 innings....did they overpay him....probably... but lets give him a chance

They overpaid him. But he's a decent back end starter.  Everyone knows that. Or should.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

In response to tomnev's comment:

We are not asking the world from Dempster as a 4 or 5.....a 4.50 ERA would be a big improvement over what we had last year and I think he can do that....the fact that he can do that and pitch 200+ innings keeps us in games and keeps the BP from being overused as opposed to so many guys we had last year who were done after 3 or 4 innings....did they overpay him....probably... but lets give him a chance

They overpaid him. But he's a decent back end starter.  Everyone knows that. Or should.

I agree.....probably a few more bucks then I would have spent but he was not attached to a draft pick and as you said he is a number 3/4 starter.  Who knows, he may wind up having a solid season and from what is being written he has had a great influence on the younger pitchers and one of the big reasons Lester and Buc are pitching a bit quicker so far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Small sample sizes are all that small brain sizes can process.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

^^^^^^ 

nice

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Softy:  "What Happens in Spring Training is What Happens All Year!:

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

He's overpaid and is a solid back end starter.

Everyone knows both of these things.

I guess we don't have to talk about Dempster anymore.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

LOL! Signing Dumpster was an act of desperation. Who gives out 26.5 million dollar contract to an old NL prima donna who was a big bust in the AL West?  When you try and find the worse management in baseball, it's hard to make up the embarrassing tracks that Red Sox management leaves.

Seriously, if this guy pitches 180 inning with an ERA under 5 then he will have exceeded my expecations. I hope he shocks me and does a lot better than that. I won't be holding my breath.

Softy, 

You're never happy about anything so who cares what you (troll) have to say !!

Throw a kiss to Idiots2012. You two are either one in the same or kissin troll cousins. Neither one of you ever has any good word about anything. You are the consumate TROLL !! Sorry just being honest. 

Hetch  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

But he's a decent back end starter.  Everyone knows that. Or should.

Before you claim "everyone knows that or should know that", you'll need to define "decent back end starter".

Decent is defined as generally acceptable.  Back end is defined as farthest from the front end. The Front end would be Lester and Buch. A starter is a pitcher that starts baseball games.

As I said he is also overpaid. Overpaid means to pay a party too much.

So Dempster is paid too much but he is generally acceptable for the back end ( the opposite of the front) of the rotation of starting pitchers that the Red Sox employ.

Let me know if you need help with anything else.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yes, I need more specifics on "general acceptable for the back end". Let's have a season long ERA and WHIP that would be generally acceptable for "the back end".

what would you consider acceptable from our 4/5 starters? please list season long ERA and an acceptable w-l record and whip too. Thank you in advance :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I would take the weighted average of every 4th and 5th starter in the league, and say "acceptable" would be that average.  We are a first division team so we should at least be there.  I would do that know, but I'm at work and only have time for comments and not doing research and fudging numbers.....I'm sure someone here will though. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Yes, I need more specifics on "general acceptable for the back end". Let's have a season long ERA and WHIP that would be generally acceptable for "the back end".

Look up Dempsters career stats.

There you will see a generally acceptable ERA and WHIP For a back end starter.

This has been another fascinating conversation.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Seriously, if this guy pitches 180 inning with an ERA under 5 then he will have exceeded my expecations. I hope he shocks me and does a lot better than that. I won't be holding my breath. 

This is one of the most straightforward posts you've made in awhile.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

I looked them up, for the AL, not for the NL. They aren't acceptable for the rotation.

In the future, don't use meaningless phrases like "generally acceptable" and "back end of the rotation". And don't use NL pitching stats to determine AL acceptable performance.

[/QUOTE

Sorry. What phrases do you consider meaningful?

I lost my book on meaningful phrases.

Dempster has 12 starts in the AL.

You had to look it up to know how he did?

Youre just being a grumpy pants.

Dempster is overpaid and is considered a decent starter for the back of the rotation.

Everyone knows both of these things to be true. You do too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dempster has 12 starts in the AL.

That's 11 and a half more games than the sample size softy needs to make definitive judgements.

BTW, what league did that guy softy had the mancrush on play in?

What was his name....?

Justin something or other?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He does have a career 4.63 ERA vs the AL in 229.1 IP. That would have made him our ace last year.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.