Re: Dempster Hit Arod because he snubbed him at a public event
posted at 8/19/2013 10:28 AM EDT
In response to southpaw777's comment:
I dont care that he plunked him geo, I just have 2 issues with it.
1. when he did it. Wait until right before your about done for the night. Or at least follow the unwritten rule of "you had your chance and blew it". his missed him and it should have ended there.
2. after missing his shot on the 1st pitch, he could have cost this bullpen a lot of unnecessary IP by plunking him on pitch 4 after already throwing behind him. Hes extremely luck he wasnt tossed, because he should have been for that move.
Well put. Here are my issues:
1. The timing. Leading off the second inning with a 2-0 lead? Flat-out stupid. And the ump would have been well within his jurisdiction to toss Dempster, which as you said would have taxing the hell out of the bullpen.
2. Retaliation. There is little doubt that somebody, probably Papi or Pedey, will be targeted when we go there in September. Hopefully it will just be in back and not the elbow or somewhere that can mean a loss for the season.
3. Stupid. Who knows if we would have won had Dempster not thrown at him, but clearly that woke the Yankees up. Girardi did exactly what he should have and got tossed, and it showed everyone he has A-Rod's back. Hell, it was a bonding moment. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go on a streak now.
4. Finally, and I know I'm in the vast minority here, I see no reason to throw at A-Rod. He's a jerk, a cheater, and a liar, yes ... but he's done nothing specifically to the Red Sox. Had he cleated somebody and shown up a pitcher on a home run or pulled that stupid "I got it!" thing he did in Toronto, then have at it. But last night made no sense.
5. Oh, and the fans cheering wildly was an embarrassment. My 10-year-old son said that.