Dempster ready for AL East.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Dempster ready for AL East.....

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The good news: Dempster is ready for the AL East.   The bad news:  The AL East is ready for Dempster.  He will get hammered . But that is okay because he is only a " number 5 ."  And he is " only " getting 13 million a year.  And it is " only " for two years. So , no problem.  We have a " plan."

[/QUOTE]

3-1 with an ERA < 3.00 v the ALE last year.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

business as usual I see...hohum

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tiny sample. He's going to get hammered a bunch in 2013 (antithesis of Curt Schilling), assuming he doesn't hit the DL for ineffectiveness.  Dempster looks, sounds and has a loser's history for a reason. That it will cost 26.5 million is quite embarrassing for Red Sox management.

[/QUOTE]

Of course it is a small sample.  But I'm a numbers guy, and prefer a small sample over making predictions with a -0- sample size.

OPSa

• BA .547
    • NY .792
    • TB .395
    • TO .532

More small sample sizes.  But in the absence of contraindicating signals, positive SSS don't predict failure.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

[QUOTE]

Tiny sample. He's going to get hammered a bunch in 2013 (antithesis of Curt Schilling), assuming he doesn't hit the DL for ineffectiveness.  Dempster looks, sounds and has a loser's history for a reason. That it will cost 26.5 million is quite embarrassing for Red Sox management.

[/QUOTE]

That's a tiny sample indeed.  But for your predictions, it is a bigger sample than the nullset sample size you bring to the table.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

No "numbers guy" throws out "sub 3 ERA v AL East" in the context of a 26.5 million dollar old man who will move from a full season in the NL to a full season in the AL East, with half the games played in Boston. He's going to get hammered, and is only 3 or 4M a year cheaper than Buckett and Slackey.

It will be up to Lester, Buchholz and Doubrant, as Lackey and Dumpster aren't capable of more than bottom of the rotation "no movement straight line hard stuff".

I can't think of two bigger SP bums than the type of profiles that Lackey and Dumpster have. It's the kind of pitching talent and approach that brings nothing but fastball 3rd hitters into big games of HR pop and power gappers.

30 million a year on Lackey and Dumpster should have Henry bringing a lawsuit against InEpstein and Cherry.

Folks, take a close look at my last sentence. How on earth does that happen!

[/QUOTE]

I didn't care for the signing.  But that doesn't allow me to simply make up opinions without at least a nominal amount of research and data.  I wish I could simply 'wing it' sometimes, but my genetic wiring requires me to think things through.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to HankukSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's a tiny sample indeed.  But for your predictions, it is a bigger sample than the nullset sample size you bring to the table.

[/QUOTE]

I guess from a guy perspective, better a tiny sample than a null set.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Starting pitcher Ryan Dempster said he signed with the Red Sox because he believes the Sox have as good a chance as any team of winning next season....

[/QUOTE]

Two questions, 56:

1. How many times have you heard a baseball player during spring training say something like "I'm in the best shape of my career"; and
    2. how many times have you heard a baseball player during spring training say something like "I'm in the worst shape of my career"?

Geddit?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

everyone is expecting our #5 to put ip ace-like numbers and anything short of that means BC failed immensely

[/QUOTE]

For 13+ million, he ought to put up Ace-like numbers.

I wonder how many other teams are paying their number 5 guy $13M?

[/QUOTE]

For 13+ million, he ought to put up Ace-like numbers. Absolutely, demonstrably false.  Veteran, "ace" pitchers are paid far more than that, sometimes double.

I wonder how many other teams are paying their number 5 guy $13M?  Fairer question, but I don't view him as a nbr 5 - time will tell - but in any case I'd much rather have Dempster in 2013 than Edwin Jackson.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

No "numbers guy" throws out "sub 3 ERA v AL East" in the context of a 26.5 million dollar old man who will move from a full season in the NL to a full season in the AL East, with half the games played in Boston. He's going to get hammered, and is only 3 or 4M a year cheaper than Buckett and Slackey.

It will be up to Lester, Buchholz and Doubrant, as Lackey and Dumpster aren't capable of more than bottom of the rotation "no movement straight line hard stuff".

I can't think of two bigger SP bums than the type of profiles that Lackey and Dumpster have. It's the kind of pitching talent and approach that brings nothing but fastball 3rd hitters into big games of HR pop and power gappers.

30 million a year on Lackey and Dumpster should have Henry bringing a lawsuit against InEpstein and Cherry.

Folks, take a close look at my last sentence. How on earth does that happen!

[/QUOTE]

keep hating softy!! if history is any indication every sox player you bash goes on to have a monster season. tell me more, how inept is the FO is for signing dempster and lackey?

also, i think big numbah two jacoby mother f#$king Ellsbury is going to be the best player on the team next year. what are your opinions on that matter soft one?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

every sox player you bash goes on to have a monster season.

If every Sox player overpaid FA went on to have a little season, it wouldn't be the billion dollar disaster.

[/QUOTE]

history speaks for itself soft one.. virtually every player you bashed has had a good season. thats why your such a joke!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

I do my homework, Joe. 30 million a year for Lackey and Dumpster is not complicated, but it is idiotic on the part of Red Sox GM's.

[/QUOTE]

It's an overpay, but overpaying is not the same as being idiotic.  Dempster is not worth $12M+, but he is a solid #3, and overpaying for him allows us to keep the minor league intact.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I do my homework, Joe. 30 million a year for Lackey and Dumpster is not complicated, but it is idiotic on the part of Red Sox GM's.

[/QUOTE]

It's an overpay, but overpaying is not the same as being idiotic.  Dempster is not worth $12M+, but he is a solid #3, and overpaying for him allows us to keep the minor league intact.

[/QUOTE]

and we also have RDLR in the wings. he's never pitched more than 106 innings and is just far enough out of TJS to really start putting on a workload. getting him 140-160 innings would be nice. we somewhat have depth in the SP role with RBLR, (webster?), Aceves, Morales and hopefully Tazawa. If all else fails Mortenson has done well so far pitching 4-5 innings at a time. he could easily be stretched out too.

One thing is for certain though... NO BARD!!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

virtually every player you bashed has had a good season

Ah, no they haven't.

[/QUOTE]

well. no need to even argue with you about it. your history speaks for itself.

What do you think about Doobie this season? think those flashes of a great pitcher we saw last year will stay consistent? Hopefully we can bump his workload up more this season..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

virtually every player you bashed has had a good season

Ah, no they haven't.

[/QUOTE]

well. no need to even argue with you about it. your history speaks for itself.

What do you think about Doobie this season? think those flashes of a great pitcher we saw last year will stay consistent? Hopefully we can bump his workload up more this season..

[/QUOTE]

He'll never change. dont bother. I think Doubie will be in the 180 IP range and he showed some of that great swing and miss stuff. I think 2013 will be a step forward for him.

consistantly durable pitchers that give you 200 IP and an ERA around 4 will get that kind of money. If your 30 or under you get more years. Elite pitchers get in the 18-22M per range. Not sure why some here foolishly expect Dempster to win 16 games with an era around 3. What you can expect is 200 IP and era in the low 4's and possibly 12-14 wins.

Sections
Shortcuts