Dempster suspended 5 games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Re: Dempster suspended 5 games

Tells you what MLB really thinks of ARod.  If Dempster intentially threw 3 times in a row at anyone else, he would have received a much larger suspension.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to 67redsox's comment:

For him to say this is the most upset he has ever been on a baseball field is beyond unbelievable. 

actually he said it was probably the most upset...................

FWIW

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN 12m

.I've known Joe Girardi since '98 and he very, very rarely utters profanity. He may have doubled his lifetime &!%@ total on Sunday night.

girardi is a pretty straight forward very religious guy

I have NP believing him when he says

it was probably the most upset...................

Splitting hairs my friend.  Did he ever catch roger, was he ever involved with beaning a batter? The guy may be a saint but he is way out in left field witht his one.  

I do believe he used this to fire up his team and tha's fine but to say throwing a ball is throwing a weapon is using the situation to his advantage.  Again I think a hard ball going 99 miles an hour is a weapon but for gerardi to say this is disingenuous at best, manipulative at worst.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Girardi is stupid, he should want this guy out there ASAP. They're 6.5 games back.

Im sayin'.

hard to imagine someone that ''stupid''

earned a industrial engineering degree from  Northwestern

but yeah I got your point

Book smart. Not street smart. ;-)

The guy should not have been fined, he should have received an oscar for his performance LOL!

For him to say this is the most upset he has ever been on a baseball field is beyond unbelievable.  So he, as a catcher, was never involved with beaning a batter, really?  I am against throwing balls at batters but to hear gerardi talk this is the first time this has ever happened.  One would think that arod was hit in the head and he landed in the hospital.  Was a drama queen he is LOL!

Arod certainly knows how to milk this situation for his own good and girardi is using it to fire up his team.  I would say they are as sly as a fox.

He misremembers catching Roger Clemens

I also thought of good old roger and other yank pitchers.  I have no respect for a man like gerardi, what a weasle.  He and arod should get along just fine.  I wonder what torre would have done.

I think my yank friends are milking this a bit too much also.  Sorry guys, but this is really a non story.

If you claim it's a non-story, then why do you keep posting about it? 

Also, as far as NYY pitchers are concerned, let me remind you that since the start of the Torre era, RS pitchers have outhit NYY batters as opposed to visa versa by a wide margin.In fact, between 1998-2007, the ratio was more than 5-3. During that time, RS Pitchers have led the league in hit batsmen vs opponents more than any other team. You can look it up.

Regarding your comments, I've lived in a neutral town, Pittsburgh, for 3 yrs, and listen to the local sports radio when commuting. This topic has trumped discussion of their beloved Pirates, Steelers, Pemguins, etc; so it's not really a small story; an overrated one perhaps.

They have applauded Girardi's take and feel the suspension is a joke;  they feel it should have been a couple of weeks. Ditto for the most part nationally. 

Even many in the Boston media generally feels this way; see Eck, Shaughnessy, Ryan, etc.

Perhaps check Peter Abraham's column regarding the WINK WINK suspension. MLB, amongst so many, loathe ARod as well, and the suspension, according to Abraham, appears to have been designed accordingly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Girardi is stupid, he should want this guy out there ASAP. They're 6.5 games back.

Im sayin'.

The guy should not have been fined, he should have received an oscar for his performance LOL!

For him to say this is the most upset he has ever been on a baseball field is beyond unbelievable.  So he, as a catcher, was never involved with beaning a batter, really?  I am against throwing balls at batters but to hear gerardi talk this is the first time this has ever happened.  One would think that arod was hit in the head and he landed in the hospital.  Was a drama queen he is LOL!

Arod certainly knows how to milk this situation for his own good and girardi is using it to fire up his team.  I would say they are as sly as a fox.

I invite you to show me when Clemens threw 4 consecutive pitches with intent. This is something that I doubt even Maglie, Gibson, or Drysdale did.

And that's the point. Agreed, we know ARod is a pariah. Dempster should have stopped after the 1st attempt; the message was sent. If he would have hit him, despite the vigilantism of the act, all the better. Not that ARod would have received this message, because he's in ARod world.

In that case, IMO Girardi would have not blown a gasket, there would have been no suspension, and a much smaller story.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Im sayin'.

I invite you to show me when Clemens threw 4 consecutive pitches with intent. This is something that I doubt even Maglie, Gibson, or Drysdale did.

And that's the point. Agreed, we know ARod is a pariah. Dempster should have stopped after the 1st attempt; the message was sent. If he would have hit him, despite the vigilantism of the act, all the better. Not that ARod would have received this message, because he's in ARod world.

In that case, IMO Girardi would have not blown a gasket, there would have been no suspension, and a much smaller story.

It was more of a reference to PEDS, steven. relax

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Im sayin'.

Disagree, you appear to be the one venting; I suggest you reread your posts the last few days, and compare it to mine, in quantity and tone. And to leave out the component regarding Girardi catching Clemens, which he did only a few times, is a tap dance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Im sayin'.

I also thought of good old roger and other yank pitchers.  I have no respect for a man like gerardi, what a weasle.  He and arod should get along just fine.  I wonder what torre would have done.

I think my yank friends are milking this a bit too much also.  Sorry guys, but this is really a non story.

Also, as far as NYY pitchers are concerned, let me remind you that since the start of the Torre era, RS pitchers have outhit NYY batters as opposed to visa versa by a wide margin.In fact, between 1998-2007, the ratio was more than 5-3. During that time, RS Pitchers have led the league in hit batsmen vs opponents more than any other team. You can look it up.

Regarding your comments yesterday, I've lived in a neutral town, Pittsburgh, for 3 yrs, and listen to the local sports radio when commuting. This topic has trumped discussion of their beloved Pirates, Steelers, Pemguins, etc; so it's not really a small story; an overrated one perhaps.

They have applauded Girardi's take and feel the suspension is a joke;  they feel it should have been a couple of weeks. Ditto for the most part nationally. 

Even many in the Boston media feels this way; see Eck, Shaughnessy, Ryan, etc.

Perhaps check Peter Abraham's column regarding the WINK WINK suspension. MLB, amongst so many, loathe ARod as well, and the suspension, according to Abraham, appears to have been designed accordingly.

I'm not saying the red sox don't throw at batters.  I think it's wrong but it is part of the game.  It is done by all teams.  That's not what's being discussed here.

I think some of those is boston are upset because it was done early in the game and hurt the sox.  It fired up the yanks and the sox lost.  I don't think anyone in boston is upset that arod was hit LOL!

If girardi is so offended and thinks that arod was being attacked by a weapon then I'm sure when he took over as manager he told all his pitchers that they can't ever throw at a batter.  I'm also sure that under his watch that no yank pitcher has thrown at a batter and I'm sure that they will never throw at a batter as long as gerardi is manager.  His concern for arod's safetly should be extended to all batters in both leauges.

I'm also sure that if a yank pitcher throws at a batter under girardi's watch that he will immediatly pull that pitcher and make him sit for a month!!!!  I'm also sure that the moon is made out of cheese.  The guy is milking the situation and is a hypocrit and that's low.

This is a big story because it's august and things are slow.  Talk shows don't have much to talk about so they are blowing this thing up, they are sensationalizing it for ratings.

How many batters got hit yesterday, the day before, etc.  Where is the outrage there?

Some batters get hit because they hit a home run!  They get hit for doing their job, weapons are being thrown at them, they could get hurt, oh noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!  I got it, no more throwing at batters, never, ever.  If a pitcher hits a batter throw the book at him!!!!

Don't you see how absurd this all is?  What's the big deal?  I can almost guarantee that if you replace the name arod with ortiz the yank fans on this thread would think that this is a non issues.

I, as others on this board post about this because I want too, nuf' said.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Im sayin'.

Disagree, you appear to be the one venting; I suggest you reread your posts the last few days, and compare it to mine, in quantity and tone.

no venting. just having some fun a ARODS expense. Never could stand the guy and this is my chance:)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Im sayin'.

[/QUOTE]

Regarding your comments yesterday, I've lived in a neutral town, Pittsburgh, for 3 yrs, and listen to the local sports radio when commuting. This topic has trumped discussion of their beloved Pirates, Steelers, Pemguins, etc; so it's not really a small story; an overrated one perhaps.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying the red sox don't throw at batters.  I think it's wrong but it is part of the game.  It is done by all teams.  That's not what's being discussed here.

I think some of those is boston are upset because it was done early in the game and hurt the sox.  It fired up the yanks and the sox lost.  I don't think anyone in boston is upset that arod was hit LOL!

If girardi is so offended and thinks that arod was being attacked by a weapon then I'm sure when he took over as manager he told all his pitchers that they can't ever throw at a batter.  I'm also sure that under his watch that no yank pitcher has thrown at a batter and I'm sure that they will never throw at a batter as long as gerardi is manager.  His concern for arod's safetly should be extended to all batters in both leauges.

I'm also sure that if a yank pitcher throws at a batter under girardi's watch that he will immediatly pull that pitcher and make him sit for a month!!!!  I'm also sure that the moon is made out of cheese ;0)

This is a big story because it's august and things are slow.  Talk shows don't have much to talk about so they are blowing this thing up, they are sensationalizing it for ratings.

How many batters got hit yesterday, the day before, etc.  Where is the outrage there?

Some batters get hit because they hit a home run!  They get hit for doing their job, weapons are being thrown at them, they could get hurt, oh noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!  I got it, no more throwing at batters, never, ever.  If a pitcher hits a batter throw the book at him!!!!

Don't you see how absurd this all is?  What's the big deal?  I can almost guarantee that if you replace the name arod with ortiz the yank fans on this thread would think that this is a non issues.

[/QUOTE]

Your response tells me all I need to know.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

Im sayin'.

Disagree, you appear to be the one venting; I suggest you reread your posts the last few days, and compare it to mine, in quantity and tone.

no venting. just having some fun a ARODS expense. Never could stand the guy and this is my chance:)

[/QUOTE]

OK

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to albertct23's comment:

The whole baseball community knows that Dempster intentionally threw at ARod.  End of story.

I don't think many are shedding tears over it LOL!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Im sayin'.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm also sure that if a yank pitcher throws at a batter under girardi's watch that he will immediatly pull that pitcher and make him sit for a month!!!!  I'm also sure that the moon is made out of cheese ;0)

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Steven~

I expect so much more from you, so disapointed :0(

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Im sayin'.

Steven~

ME 2

But we've been down this road before.

I can't always agree with you, and actually went back and forth about whether I should post on this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Im sayin'.

Steven~

There is simply no proof that the two inside pitches were attempts to hit arod.  The guy has control issues.  I think that was made clear with the first pitch LOL!

Arod was hit, it has happened before and it will happen again. That's life.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Im sayin'.

Steven~

There is simply no proof that the two inside pitches were attempts to hit arod.  The guy has control issues.  I think that was made clear with the first pitch LOL!

Arod was hit, it has happened before and it will happen again. That's life.

Disagree, and so does a large faction of the media. There was no proof on any of the pitches; and this is a guy who's hit 5 batters in his entire career.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Im sayin'.

Steven~

ME 2

I can't always agree with you, and actually went back and forth about whether I should post on this.

You won't answer my last post because you know I'm right.  The steven I know would counter my argument with another.  Since you didn't I will just have to assume you don't have one.

Gerardi can be upset his player was hit, that's fine.  But to try and take the high road and say a weapon was being used is a cheap shot and I have no respect for him for trying to manipulate the situation. He has been involved in the exact same situation when he was a catcher.  Were was the rage there, why wasn't he concerned about the batter's safety then.  The guy is a hypocrit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Im sayin'.

OK

I don't have a problem with Dempster hitting AROD, just when, and how he did it. After he missed the first time, he should have waited until the next at bat. That said, tells me how strongly he felt about what AROD stands for, and was acting on behalf of all the players. He knew the consequences and did it anyway, which is why he didnt appeal the suspension. I don't have a problem with Girardi, tho I think he's taken it to an extreme, it's his job and is in a tough spot. He works for the Yankees and has to manage the players. All in all, its a fine mess Alex has gotten them into

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Im sayin'.

Steven~

ME 2

You won't answer my last post because you know I'm right.  The steven I know would counter my argument with another.  Since you didn't I will just have to assume you don't have one.

Gerardi can be upset his player was hit, that's fine.  But to try and take the high road and say a weapon was being used is a cheap shot and I have no respect for him for trying to manipulate the situation. He has been involved in the exact same situation when he was a catcher.  Were was the rage there, why wasn't he concerned about the batter's safety then.  The guy is a hypocrit.

Which post did I not answer? Please tell. Regardless, Saying nanananabooboo you didn't answer me doesn't say much. As far as the dangers, I know U remember what happened to Tony C. Also, ARod was out 2 mos last yr due to a HBP; that may have been fresh in his mind.

I also believe Girardi was upset for slightly different reasons than you perceive him to be, as stated before.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to ImagydSportsForTwitter's comment:

ironic he gets suspended for hitting a guy who should b suspended!

He can also ask for a review .... wrong word, but same thing.

Your point is well made.

And Dempster's point was well made, and made, and made .... and MADE!   Ha! 

Was it three or four pitches. I don't recall.  But it was all the talking heads could talk about.

One of my Yanqui fan friends here said, "Girardi went wild, but if you looked in the dugout, no one else seemed to be too upset."  (Disclaimer: this fan never wanted A-Rod in the 1st place.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Im sayin'.

OK

I don't have a problem with Dempster hitting AROD, just when, and how he did it. After he missed the first time, he should have waited until the next at bat. That said, tells me how strongly he felt about what AROD stands for, and was acting on behalf of all the players. He knew the consequences and did it anyway, which is why he didnt appeal the suspension. I don't have a problem with Girardi, tho I think he's taken it to an extreme, it's his job and is in a tough spot. He works for the Yankees and has to manage the players. All in all, its a fine mess Alex has gotten them into

Ya think?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Im sayin'.

Steven~

ME 2

Which post did I not answer? Please tell. Regardless, Saying nanananabooboo you didn't answer me doesn't say much. As far as the dangers, I know U remember what happened to Tony C. Also, ARod was out 2 mos last yr due to a HBP; that may have been fresh in his mind.

I also believe Girardi was upset for slightly different reasons than you perceive him to be, as stated before.

"One of the reasons I was so upset is ... I mean that baseball is a weapon," he said. "It's not a tennis ball or it's not an IncrediBall that's soft. It's a weapon and it can do a lot of damage to someone's life." 

Girardi had lobbied for Dempster to be suspended. MLB did not disclose the amount of the fine. 

The guy is a hypocrit.  You can't tell me he was never involved with beaning a player either as a catcher or a mananger.  So I hope he has never asked one of his pitchers to hit someone and of course he will never ever ask one of his pitchers to hit a batter in the future.  

Good thing for the sox, he will not retaliate with a weapon after all.

I posted a long and IMHO informative post and your answer was 'that tells me all I need to know' or words to that effect.  That to me is not a response.

Conig was hit in the head not the back.  If the ball hit arod in the head I would be as upset as everone else but all the pitches were no where near his head.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Im sayin'.

Steven~

ME 2

Oh my goodness steven, really LOL!!! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Im sayin'.

Steven~

ME 2

"One of the reasons I was so upset is ... I mean that baseball is a weapon," he said. "It's not a tennis ball or it's not an IncrediBall that's soft. It's a weapon and it can do a lot of damage to someone's life." 

Girardi had lobbied for Dempster to be suspended. MLB did not disclose the amount of the fine. 

The guy is a hypocrit.  You can't tell me he was never involved with beaning a player either as a catcher or a mananger.  So I hope he has never asked one of his pitchers to hit someone and of course he will never ever ask one of his pitchers to hit a batter in the future.  

I posted a long and IMHO informative post and your answer was 'that tells me all I need to know' or words to that effect.  That to me is not a response.

Conig was hit in the head not the back.  If the ball hit arod in the head I would be as upset as everone else but all the pitches were no where near his head.

This is like saying a gun is not that dangerous when you get hit in the arm.

As far as your other post, I just felt it was all over the place, and seemed to be written by someone upset. I shall now go back and address it. However, I'm not interested  in WINNING; you can have that honor.

Actually, my original motivation to respond was a slightly different subject, regarding your misinformation overlaid with your fandom; your complaint about NYY pitchers hitting batters, when it was comically for the most part in reverse. Jeter was hit often by the RS yrs ago, and Torre refused to retaliate, which he received criticism for; it has been long believed retaliation is a necessity for protecting your players. Since he didn't do this, Jeter kept getting hit. Also, the pitchers he had, Mussina, Pettite, etc; NOT Clemens LOL; didn't like to do this.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Im sayin'.

Steven~

ME 2

This is like saying a gun is not that dangerous when you get hit in the arm.

As far as your other post, I just felt it was all over the place, and seemed to be written by someone upset. I shall now go back and address it. However, I'm not interested  in WINNING; you can have that honor.

Actually, my original motivation to respond was a slightly different subject, regarding your misinformation overlaid with your fandom; your complaint about NYY pitchers hitting batters, when it was comically for the most part in reverse. Jeter was hit often yrs ago, and Torre refused to retaliate, which he received criticism for; it has been long believed retaliation is a necessity for protecting your players. Since he didn't do this, Jeter kept getting hit. Also, the pitchers he had, Mussina, Pettite, etc; NOT Clemens LOL; didn't like to do this.

I'm not upset, just having a fun debate.  You have made that mistake before my friend.  There are things in life that upset me, posting about baseball isn't one of them.

You misunderstand me.  I'm in no way complaining about ny pitchers hitting batters. If you look back at my posts and look at what girardi said in the paper I think you will agree. As I have said many times it's part of the game.  I don't like it but it's part of the game.

What I was saying is that gerardi is being a hypocrit saying he is so upset because a weapon was thrown at arod.  That's being a bit dramatic and milking the situation.  Let's call a spade a spade.  Unless you can prove to me that he was never involved in a beaning as a catcher or manager the man is a hypocrit and is overplaying his hand.

As I have said over and over, I don't think pitchers should bean batters but gerardi doesn't have a leg to stand on complaining about this.

I like torre, always have, but he is not the manager so I don't know why you bring him up.

Sections
Shortcuts