Dempster turns down offer from Sox.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

Re: Dempster turns down offer from Sox.

So....I guess old and mediocre is the plan this year? i'd rather us save the money and wait for the kids to develope or sign one real impact player and then fill out the roster with whats left, these kind of players are not going to win in a division that had 3 teams win 90 games last year, and dempster was awful for texas last year, good NL pitcher but an AL east disaster...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd take this money...

SV $39M/3

RD $25M/2 (reported)

JG $10M/2

DR $6.2M/2

Total: $80M over the next 2-3 years for 4 players. ($33.5M, $33.5M, $13M)

and shift(ed)  it here... (assuming they agreed to play here for slightly more $$$)

Angel Pagan $42M/4

B McCarthy   $23M/3

D Haren $14M/1 (I think we could do better here)

Total: $79M over 1-4 years for 3 players ($32M, $18M, $18M, $10.5M)

[/QUOTE]

Who is the back up catcher and who is the LFer?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The thing about softy is that he would really win 69 games with a 60 million dollar payroll than 95 with 150 million dollars for him it is about envy. The less money the team makes the easier it is for him to watch the team. It is pretty pittyful for a man bragging about being a Republican.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The thing about softy is that he would really win 69 games with a 60 million dollar payroll than 95 with 150 million dollars for him it is about envy. The less money the team makes the easier it is for him to watch the team. It is pretty pittyful for a man bragging about being a Republican.

[/QUOTE]

he just wants more money in henry's pocket.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Dempster turns down offer from Sox

The Red Sox don't need to go 3 yrs to a 35 year old Dempster, frankly I think the 2 year offer was on the generous side.  Obviously you always have to overpay for FA's, especially pitchers, but a 35 year old career NLer who struggled with TEX last year.  Not really interested.

Both Dempster and Lohse are pretty high mileage guys (2000 IP) in their mid 30's, who have primarily been in NL and who to get you are going to have to overpay for.  The only thing that makes it tolerable is if it is a 2 year deal or a 3rd option.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dempster turned down a two-year, $25MM deal from the Red Sox, reports Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston (Twitter link).  This was slightly less than the Royals' recent two-year, $26MM offer that was also rejected, as Dempster is looking for a three-year contract.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#V4lopXxVFtVIiiwH.99

Thank you god! I don't want Dempster under any circumstances.

[/QUOTE]

As Sox fans we know that Mccarthy,Dempster and Haren " are out of the pitcher". Greinke is staying out west. Lohse is high risk depending on the contract length. The options are twindling down jackson marcum and lariano are still available via FA. R.A. Dickey trade is still high up in the air, but good option pending on what goes the other way.

Morales and Acevez are in the Sox system to be starters. Lackey is back with 50/50 shot to get the Sox at least 15 wins. Lester is the big question but a keeper, Buch will produce some wins. Doubront is in that spot, can he achieve a 50/50 season.

Dickey will be a good move, already mention pending. Because he already has a contract and the Sox can figure out what to do with the knuckleballer in the future. The rotation will be a gamble with good odds. Lester Dickey Buch Lackey Doubront and Morales/Acevez. The question can Ross catch for a knuckleballer, or even scarier Salty.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'd take this money...

SV $39M/3

RD $25M/2 (reported)

JG $10M/2

DR $6.2M/2

and shift(ed)  it here... (assuming they agreed to play here for slightly more $$$)

Angel Pagan $42M/4

B McCarthy   $23M/3

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

B/U catcher: Lava

LF'er: Kalish/Nava/Linares/Brentz

Who's your ace? #2 slot SP? #3? #4? #5?

My pitchers blow away the drop off differential in LF and back-up catcher slots.

Plus, by adding SPs, we can then trade Doubie or Morales for a cheap LF or b/u C option.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He enjoys watchinmg Henry get filthy rich, so his wealth will trickle down over all of us plebians.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If we sign Dempster or Lohse at anything close to the numbers that are being rumored, I think I'll have to stand with the Albiikikles and ADGs and Georoms on this one. Either one of them could probably be an improvement on Dice-K and Aaron Cook, but that's about the best I can say.

Why pass on Haren and McCarthy and then offer more money to older, inferior pitchers?

[/QUOTE]

you just made the 

"complainer of the year" list Mr.!

[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to work towards it, I just don't know if I have the self-discipline.

[/QUOTE]

Jimmy McNulty could complain with the best of them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Dempster turned down a two-year, $25MM deal from the Red Sox, reports Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston (Twitter link).  This was slightly less than the Royals' recent two-year, $26MM offer that was also rejected, as Dempster is looking for a three-year contract.

[/QUOTE]

As Sox fans we know that Mccarthy,Dempster and Haren " are out of the pitcher". Greinke is staying out west. Lohse is high risk depending on the contract length. The options are twindling down jackson marcum and lariano are still available via FA. R.A. Dickey trade is still high up in the air, but good option pending on what goes the other way.

Morales and Acevez are in the Sox system to be starters. Lackey is back with 50/50 shot to get the Sox at least 15 wins. Lester is the big question but a keeper, Buch will produce some wins. Doubront is in that spot, can he achieve a 50/50 season.

Dickey will be a good move, already mention pending. Because he already has a contract and the Sox can figure out what to do with the knuckleballer in the future. The rotation will be a gamble with good odds. Lester Dickey Buch Lackey Doubront and Morales/Acevez. The question can Ross catch for a knuckleballer, or even scarier Salty.

[/QUOTE]

I think Floyd may be who we end up with.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't terrible as long as we didn't give up too much in trade.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The White Sox were supposedly asking for a ton for for Floyd at the Winter Meetings.  Maybe the price will come down at some point, but one of the reasons the Sox wanted Victoriano and met with Josh Hamilton was because they were actively shopping Ellsbury.  I heard there are many in the Sox organization who feel Ellsbury is too "soft" (it wasn't the word that was used) to consider signing long term next year.  A lot can change between now and next season, but Kenny Williams may consider a deal with Ellsbury and Floyd as the centerpieces, because Williams is always in try to "win now" mode. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The White Sox were supposedly asking for a ton for for Floyd at the Winter Meetings.  Maybe the price will come down at some point, but one of the reasons the Sox wanted Victoriano and met with Josh Hamilton was because they were actively shopping Ellsbury.  I heard there are many in the Sox organization who feel Ellsbury is too "soft" (it wasn't the word that was used) to consider signing long term next year.  A lot can change between now and next season, but Kenny Williams may consider a deal with Ellsbury and Floyd as the centerpieces, because Williams is always in try to "win now" mode. 

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury definitely seems to stay on the DL a long time when he gets hurt. Floyd might not be a bad return for him. Floyd seems to log right around 200 innings a year, and the Sox could definitely use a guy like that. I have to say I would only like the deal if Ben were able to get Hamilton on a 3 year deal. That being said, I'd much rather see Ells and maybe Salty dealt to the Reds for 2 or 3 of their top pitching prospects, say Corcino, Cingrani and Chad Rogers. If we could do that I'd be happy starting the season with what we have and a J Sanchez type on a minor league deal. I think given the chance some combination of DeLaRosa, Webster, Morales and maybe Wright could help round out the rotation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury definitely seems to stay on the DL a long time when he gets hurt. Floyd might not be a bad return for him. Floyd seems to log right around 200 innings a year, and the Sox could definitely use a guy like that. I have to say I would only like the deal if Ben were able to get Hamilton on a 3 year deal. That being said, I'd much rather see Ells and maybe Salty dealt to the Reds for 2 or 3 of their top pitching prospects, say Corcino, Cingrani and Chad Rogers. If we could do that I'd be happy starting the season with what we have and a J Sanchez type on a minor league deal. I think given the chance some combination of DeLaRosa, Webster, Morales and maybe Wright could help round out the rotation.

[/QUOTE]

Good points.  The Sox definitely want an "innings guy" in that rotation next year, and I'd be shocked if they didn't bring someone in.  Some people in and out of the Sox organization seem to think Lackey is going to end up having a big year next year by the time it's all said and done, and Lester and Buchholz should be fine with Farrell back.  The Sox rotation gets a lot more love outside of this message board, that's for sure. 

I also heard that the Sox were willing to move on Hamilton even if they didn't trade Ellsbury, with Jonny Gomes being more of a 4th outfielder and Kalish starting the year in Pawtucket.  The Victoriano signing gave them a lot of flexibility which is why they were willing to overpay on yearly value, especially since this guy likes the limelight and should love playing in Boston. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

The main concern people seem to have about Dempster is that he can't pitch in the American league and that he proved that this year. Here are his stats against the American League this season.........

W-L 9-4

ERA 4.30

WHIP 1.34

inn-90

K's-82

Oh the humanity. What a disaster.

That would rank him 2nd among 9 Red Sox starters in ERA last season.  Only behind Franklin Morales, who made just 9 starts. Nobody else is all that close.

The last 4 seasons Dempster has an even better ERA against the American League of 4.19.

Not saying I am excited about the possibility of Dempster. But this American league theory people have about him is not true.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Peter GammonsVerified‏@pgammo

Craig Landis figures once Greinke signs Dempster will get 3 years, preferred NL w/ training in Arizona.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'd take this money...

SV $39M/3

RD $25M/2 (reported)

JG $10M/2

DR $6.2M/2

Angel Pagan $42M/4

B McCarthy   $23M/3

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

B/U catcher: Lava

LF'er: Kalish/Nava/Linares/Brentz

Who's your ace? #2 slot SP? #3? #4? #5?

My pitchers blow away the drop off differential in LF and back-up catcher slots.

Plus, by adding SPs, we can then trade Doubie or Morales for a cheap LF or b/u C option.

[/QUOTE]

If Nava spends a lot of time at the ML level the Sox are in serious trouble. Lavarnway can't back up at this point he needs AB's and probably should have been traded after 11. The thing is the Sox aren't done spending. I would try to get Sanchez. The Sox payroll is only at 120 which all these signings they could spend another 60 million if they want to. This isn't an either or type of deal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

If we sign Dempster or Lohse at anything close to the numbers that are being rumored, I think I'll have to stand with the Albiikikles and ADGs and Georoms on this one. Either one of them could probably be an improvement on Dice-K and Aaron Cook, but that's about the best I can say.

Why pass on Haren and McCarthy and then offer more money to older, inferior pitchers?

[/QUOTE]

Age is just a number.  Ryan Dempster is far healthier than both McCarthy and Haren. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We could do worse.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The main concern people seem to have about Dempster is that he can't pitch in the American league and that he proved that this year. Here are his stats against the American League this season.........

W-L 9-4

ERA 4.30

WHIP 1.34

inn-90

K's-82

Oh the humanity. What a disaster.

That would rank him 2nd among 9 Red Sox starters in ERA last season.  Only behind Franklin Morales, who made just 9 starts. Nobody else is all that close.

The last 4 seasons Dempster has an even better ERA against the American League of 4.19.

Not saying I am excited about the possibility of Dempster. But this American league theory people have about him is not true.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt have been upset over 2/25, but I am absolutely unwilling to give the thrid year he is seeking.  And how many of those vs AL stats were for games played in an NL park?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt have been upset over 2/25, but I am absolutely unwilling to give the thrid year he is seeking.  And how many of those vs AL stats were for games played in an NL park?

[/QUOTE]

Two. And two for the years aswell. Three years would indeed be a really bad idea. The good news listening to a Hazen interview a couple of days ago is that it was clear they really liked their upper levels minor league guys and did not want to block them. Hopefully that would mean no to Dempster for 3 years. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I didn't like Dempster for year 1 or 2 either.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Not very high on dempster. If we go after Lohse, its should be no more than 2 years. I suppose the going rate fpor a middling BOTR pitcher is aound 12-14M these days.

I could handle Gavin Floyd for a year. By then we should have a couple arms ready to make the next step.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i wonder what edwin jackson would cost? 3/35?

Sections
Shortcuts