Denard trade, Ellsbury value

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Denard trade, Ellsbury value

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

If Ells has a solid year and the Sox are not in contention, he will have lots of value at the deadline for a contending team.

No, he will not have "lots of value at the deadline". Once the compensation ends, no contender will offer more than 2nd rate farm prospects to pay the 4 or 5M to FA in a few months.

If hes having a solid year, a contending will pay well for a player THEY THINK will be a big part of a playoff run and WS aspirations. It happens every year so why would this one be any different.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Bad comparison, using the folly of WAR. While Ellsbury's trade value is not great, it's certainly not on par with the legendary Denard Span.

Did you use WAR and the same process when looking at the value of the great Figgins?

It should be noted that Span is signed @ below market for a couple of years.  You dont trade for players, you trade for players in light of contracts.  Ellsbury is signed to 1 yr @market (I put a premium on AAV, when the deal is 1-2 yrs).  I agree that Span's trade value far exceeds Ellburys.  Howver, I also think that the Nats won that trade in spades.  Should have had to pay considerably more for Span.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Im starting to think we should have topped that offer for Span.  Good insurance against Ells getting hurt and if Ells leaves after 2013.  Capable leadoff / centerfielder.  Signed to a team friendly contract...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If hes having a solid year, a contending will pay well for a player THEY THINK will be a big part of a playoff run and WS aspirations. It happens every year so why would this one be any different.

LOL! You are living in a fantasy world. They won't "pay well", nor will they delude themselves into thinking that a non-franchise player called "a franchise player" will be a "big part" of a "playoff run" and "WS aspirations".

You are truly the meaningless rhetoric king.

Yet, this clown thinks AZ will give us Upton for "Jake".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

[/QUOTE]

I agree that Span's trade value far exceeds Ellburys. 

[/QUOTE]

Far exceeds? Disagree. The upside makes up the difference in years. I see them as about equal. And I agree, I think the Nats won that trade too.

Sections
Shortcuts