Depth Chart for 2012 as it stands now...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re: Depth Chart for 2012 as it stands now...

Agreed.  I'd be pretty happy with a BP featuring Bard, Aceves & Melancon.  I wonder what the team might get in terms of SP's by trading Salty + either Reddick or Kalish.  If someone decent, I'd be happy to rely on Douby as the fifth starter for now and keep that BP package.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Salty, Reddick and a prospect or two could get us a decent 4/5 starter, and it would improve our starting catching position (but hurt its depth).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

n Response to Re: Depth Chart for 2012 as it stands now...:
    In Response to Re: Depth Chart for 2012 as it stands now... : Gee, when I said I wanted see Iglesias at SS, regardless of the possible offensive drop-off, I was effectively written off as a buffoon. "Iglesias is not ready for prime-time" was the mantra.
    Posted by Alibiike

Many of us have been calling for letting Iggy play FT SS for us, but there are more opposed to the idea.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

"what now for Felix Doubront and Junichi Tazawa?"Right now, we plan to bring all those guys into camp as starters."

Looks like you can keep Taz in the SP column.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Edit: 12/13/11
    Edit: 12/14/11
    Edit: 12/15/11

C: Salty-Shoppach-Lava-Exposito-Swihart-Vazquez
    DH: Papi-Lava-Youk
    1B: AGon-Salty-Papi-Andeson-Head
    2B: Pedey-Aviles-Punto-Tejada
    3B: Youk-(Scutaro)-Aviles-Punto-Middlebrooks-Cecchini-Vitek
    SS: Scut-Aviles-Punto-Igglesias-Bogaerts-Vinicio
    LF: Craw-DMac-Redd
    CF: Ellsb-DMac-Kalish
    RF: Redd-DMac-Kalish
        OF:Linares-Lin-Nava-Brentz-Jacobs-Bradley-Hassan-Ramos-Hazelbaker

SP: Beck-Lest-Buch-(Dice)-(Lack)-Taz-Doub (Bard and/or Aceves)
            -Wilson-Ranaudo-Barnes-Britton-Pimentel
          -Owens-Alcantara-Kukuk-Workman-Montas-Ramirez
    Pen: Bard-Acev-Melancon-Jenks-Albers-Morales-Bowden-Atchison

Of all these positions, which ones do we have the most qualified or valuable MLB-ready depth?

I ask this, because I think we may have to seriously think about trading a valuable "everyday player" for some pitching help. A higher emphasis might be placed on higher salaried players, in order to free up more money that could be spent on further improvement of the staff.

Here are some examples:

Trade ('12 cost)     Replace with_____________
    Youk    (12.25M)    Aviles/Punto/Middlebrooks
    Scutty  ($6M)         Iggy/Aviles/Punto
    Jenks    ($6M)         (see above list)
    Salty      ($arb)       Lava/Exposito
    Ellsbury ($arb)       DMac/Kalish
    Iggy       ($2.1M)    Current back-ups stay in place

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Depth Chart for 2012 as it stands now...:
    [QUOTE]Edit: 12/13/11 Edit 12/14/11 C: Salty- Shoppach -Lava- Exposito-Swihart-Vazquez DH: Papi-Lava-Youk 1B: AGon-Salty-Papi- Andeson-Head 2B: Pedey-Aviles- Tejada 3B: Youk-(Scutaro)-Aviles- Middlebrooks-Cecchini-Vitek SS: Scut-Aviles-Lowrie- Igglesias-Bogaerts-Vinicio LF: Craw-DMac-Redd CF: Ellsb-DMac- Kalish RF: Redd-DMac- Kalish     OF: Linares-Lin-Nava-Brentz-Jacobs-Bradley-Hassan-Ramos-Hazelbaker SP: Beck-Lest-Buch-(Dice)-(Lack) -Taz-Doub         - Wilson-Ranaudo-Barnes-Britton-Pimentel       -Owens-Alcantara-Kukuk-Workman-Montas-Ramirez Pen: Bard-Acev- Melancon -Jenks-Albers-Hill-Morales- Bowden (Maybe Aceves and/or Bard get moved to SP.) Of all these positions, which ones do we have the most qualified or valuable MLB-ready depth? I ask this, because I think we may have to seriously think about trading a valuable "everyday player" for some pitching help. A higher emphasis might be placed on higher salaried players, in order to free up more money that could be spent on further improvement of the staff. Here are some examples: Trade ('12 cost)     Replace with_____________ Youk    (12.25M)    Aviles/Lowrie/Middlebrooks Scutty  ($6M)         Iggy/Aviles/Lowrie Jenks    ($6M)         (see above list) Salty      ($arb)       Lava/Exposito Ellsbury ($arb)       DMac/Kalish
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

You can take Hill out of the bullpen picture since he was non-tendered and is recovering from TJ.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Depth Chart for 2012 as it stands now... : You can take Hill out of the bullpen picture since he was non-tendered and is recovering from TJ.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Done. Thanks. We still could sign him, but...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Depth Chart for 2012 as it stands now... : Done. Thanks. We still could sign him, but...

Yeah, I'd like to see him back on a minor league deal, but I wouldn't count on him being a big piece of the puzzle.  Last year I couldn't wait for him to come up, now I'm not sure if he'll stay with his new side arm delivery that was making him so effective.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As of now, assuming Lava starts in AAA, here might be the likely 25 man opening day roster:

Rotation:
    Beckett, Lester, Buccholtz, Bard, Tazawa, Doubront (LR)
    Pen:
    Melancon, Aceves, Jenks, Albers, Morales, Bowden, Atchison
    C: Salty/Shopp
    DH: Papi
    1B: AGon (Youk/Salty)
    2B: Pedey (Punto)
    3B: Youk/Punto
    SS: Scutaro/Aviles (5th OF'er as well)
    LF: Craw/DMac
    CF: Ells (DMac)
    RF: Reddcik (Maybe Kalish beats him out in ST)

AAA call-ups:
    DH/C/1B: Lava
    SS: Iglesias
    OF: Kalsih/Linares
    3B: Middlebrooks
    1B: Anderson
    SP: Wilson

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]As of now, assuming Lava starts in AAA, here might be the likely 25 man opening day roster: Rotation: Beckett, Lester, Buccholtz, Bard, Tazawa, Doubront (LR) Pen: Melancon, Aceves, Jenks, Albers, Morales, Bowden, Atchison C: Salty/Shopp DH: Papi 1B: AGon (Salty) 2B: Pedey (Punto) 3B: Youk/Punto SS: Scutaro/Aviles LF: Craw/DMac CF: Ells (DMac) RF: Reddcik (Maybe Kalish beats him out in ST) AAA call-ups: DH/C/1B: Lava SS: Iglesias OF: Kalsih/Linares 3B: Middlebrooks 1B: Anderson SP: Wilson  

Barring any other moves by the FO I think that's about right.  Only thing is that I would have Youk ahead of Salty on the depth chart at 1B.  At least against RHP's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Barring any other moves by the FO I think that's about right.  Only thing is that I would have Youk ahead of Salty on the depth chart at 1B.  At least against RHP's.

Good point. We might even see Papi play a game or two at 1B in NL parks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's my choice of line-ups:
    vs RHPs
    1) Ellsbury
    2) Crawford
    3) Pedroia
    4) AGon
    5) Youk
    6) Papi
    7) Salty
    8) Reddick
    9) Scutaro

(Alt: put Crawford up 6th and move others up a notch)

vs LHPs
    1) Ellsbury
    2) Pedroia
    3) AGon
    4) Youk
    5) Papi
    6) Lava (Yes, he should be on the 25 man roster)
    7) DMac (LF or RF)
    8) Scutaro
    9) Crawford or Reddick

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I like the alternate lineup for RHP's.  I think Lava either starts against RHP's (after a Salty trade), or he's in AAA.  Against LHP's I think you almost have to start Shoppach with his great career numbers against LHP's (.907 career OPS, .788 last year).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

[QUOTE]Here's my choice of line-ups: vs RHPs 1) Ellsbury 2) Crawford 3) Pedroia 4) AGon 5) Youk 6) Papi 7) Salty 8) Reddick 9) Scutaro (Alt: put Crawford up 6th and move others up a notch) vs LHPs 1) Ellsbury 2) Pedroia 3) AGon 4) Youk 5) Papi 6) Lava (Yes, he should be on the 25 man roster) 7) DMac (LF or RF) 8) Scutaro 9) Crawford or Reddick
    I know the Red Sox were saying that they were going to try to make Aviles into an outfielder... have you heard anything more about that? I think he would do a better job offensively against lefties than Reddick, McDonald and probably Crawford. But that's only if he can play outfield...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He has about 20 innings of OF experience. Punto has 52 innings. Perhaps they can mitigate having a DH-only player on their roster by going with just 3 OF'ers (Trade DMac) and using Punto or Aviles as the 4th OF'er. Give them both plenty of OF work in ST.