Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect

This is actually the reverse. Derek Jeter had a great upbringing; his manners seem impeccable; he never had rabbit ears; woman love him; men want to be him; (he should sell Dos Equus Beer); he has been devoid of scandal, even Canseco said he's the player least likely to have done PEDs; and to this day, despite his aging skills, he still time and again proves his detractors wrong, with a Hollywood like flair for the dramatic. Even players and FO people on the RS admire him.

I am not 1/100 of what this man is, I admit. Some fans (especially in RSN) look for every excuse imaginable to vent about him, and as a result he can never win. It's not his fault the fans voted him in, or that his 5th GG should have gone to someone else.

But, in the category of nobody's perfect, there are a few things he's done that raise an eyebrow.

1) Several yrs ago, he had a problem with the NY Dep't of Revenue due to multi-state residences; his accountants fixed it.

2) When ARod first came to the Yankees, ARod was the better SS; Bernie was already declining in CF; he could have moved there; he certainly would have figured out how to play it, and historically speaking a Yankee CFer is more glamorous than a SS. When ARod and him didn't see eye-to-eye, he could have handled it better. Although they publicly buried the hatchet, I'm guessing Jeter still can't stand him, not that I blame him.

3) Up until this yr; he gave Managers a hard time about not playing; he doesn't know when to rest. He was even upset at first about being put on the DL. And the Manager is afraid to bat him lower in the order.

4) Despite all his dalliances with the fairer gender, (which included I believe, half the MAXIM Cover Girls)  he felt the need a few yrs ago to canvas universities to look for more. He may make Tiger Woods and Wilt Chamberlain look like Mother Teresa.

5) He missed Bob Sheppard's funeral, who he was supposedly so fond of.

6) A poll in the NY Post showed that 57% felt he should have gone to the ASG, and this is a NY Poll, mind you.  Although I’m on the fence some about this, I actually side with him here. He’s older; he was hurt; he was under intense media scrutiny and pressure, like Maris was in ’61.  Here's guessing, realizing he can't be all things to all people, he has to worry about himself, he has no regrets, and figures it'll blow over. (I'm sure hostile fans shall remind him, however, especially at the Fens.). However, he shouldn’t be seen in Miami during the ASB, but holed up somewhere locally to rest, like he claims he needed. Also, he could have donated his 500K ASG bonus  to show good faith, the guy’s only worth at least a Quarter Billion $$, if not twice that.

7)  He could have offered to help out this kid with the ball. Contrast this to what Maris did in ’61,  who was making 40K at the time (maybe that's 200K+ now); when Sal Durante wanted to give him the ball for nothing, Maris told him to keep the ball and get his money. That bothers me.

I'm sure others will pile on; I don't care, and this is JMHO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Re: Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect

Steve, you're one of the most level-headed and knowledgeable posters on here, and you're a very objective Yankee fan with great knowledge of all things Red Sox. I was not aware of several of the issues you brought up, but I have been a huge admirer of Jeter since he first came up. He along with Joe Torre were the two biggest reasons THIS Red Sox fan could never root for an NL team over the Yankees in the WS. I am more than willing to give him a pass on the all-star game as I believe he was somewhat embarrassed to be selected by the fans over more deserving players, not to mention just returning from the DL. I'm not sure that any of us could ever be close to Mr. Perfect if we lived under the microscope these guys live under.
    Even on the downside of his career, I do not want to see him come up against the Sox with the game on the line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect:
    [QUOTE]Steve, you're one of the most level-headed and knowledgeable posters on here, and you're a very objective Yankee fan with great knowledge of all things Red Sox. I was not aware of several of the issues you brought up, but I have been a huge admirer of Jeter since he first came up. He along with Joe Torre were the two biggest reasons THIS Red Sox fan could never root for an NL team over the Yankees in the WS. I am more than willing to give him a pass on the all-star game as I believe he was somewhat embarrassed to be selected by the fans over more deserving players, not to mention just returning from the DL. I'm not sure that any of us could ever be close to Mr. Perfect if we lived under the microscope these guys live under. Even on the downside of his career, I do not want to see him come up against the Sox with the game on the line.
    Posted by jidgef[/QUOTE]

That's what Francona said recently; and on WEEI's Big Show a couple of days ago, Glenn Ordway said "He terrifies me".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Derek Jeter will play past his time, as will Tek, and Wake and all will be forced out of the game. Its sad but true.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

what a strange post for a

'' yankeefan '' to post on a sox board

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]what a strange post for a '' yankeefan '' to post on a sox board
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

This post is a perfect example as to why no one here should be keeping anything real. This is a Yankee fan who, admittedly, comes here to make sure Sox fans keep it real here. lol

If abusive Yankee fans would get a life and stop policing Sox boards and insulting the fans here when they're not busy running them off their own board, none of these conversations would even be taking place.

And, yes, a grown adult rival team fan who talks in haiku and comes to the board as a "character", agenda in tow, does have a bit of a screw loose. IMO

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I can understand him not going to the ASG. but if he needed rest, he should have gotten it. I also think that the 1/2 mil for him being selected should be given to charity since he didnt bother to show..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Jeter gets 3,000 hits and he's getting bashed? WOW...I'll take him on my team, even now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

dcater that is easy to say, who would not take Jeter over our short-stops at present?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect:
    [QUOTE]This is actually the reverse. Derek Jeter had a great upbringing; his manners seem impeccable; he never had rabbit ears; woman love him; men want to be him; (he should sell Dos Equus Beer); he has been devoid of scandal, even Canseco said he's the player least likely to have done PEDs; and to this day, despite his aging skills, he still time and again proves his detractors wrong, with a Hollywood like flair for the dramatic. Even players and FO people on the RS admire him. I am not 1/100 of what this man is, I admit. Some fans (especially in RSN) look for every excuse imaginable to vent about him, and as a result he can never win. It's not his fault the fans voted him in, or that his 5th GG should have gone to someone else. But, in the category of nobody's perfect, there are a few things he's done that raise an eyebrow.   1) Several yrs ago, he had a problem with the NY Dep't of Revenue due to multi-state residences; his accountants fixed it.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Don't you think it was his accountants who suggested this whole thing to reduce his tax bill?  Jeter would have had to approve it, but usually this kind of residency scheme comes from the accountants and the tax advisers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Yes

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The story about the tax thing caught my eye when it came out.  But when I read the details I thought it was no big deal.  It wasn't like he was trying to hide income like some guys have done with memorabilia sales or whatever.  He was trying to reduce state taxes by claiming Florida residency.  It failed, he had to pay more tax and that was the end of it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

#1...misleading thread title..he's not perfect, never claimed to be #2 irt to Bob Sheppard...

Yanks miss Sheppard funeral

By Wallace Matthews
    ESPNNewYork.com
    Archive

NEW YORK -- The Yankees weren't at Bob Sheppard's funeral, and according to team captain Derek Jeter some didn't even know when the event was taking place.

"To be quite honest with you, I didn't even know his funeral was yesterday,'' Jeter said on Friday. "Having said that, I don't necessarily think you have to go to a funeral to honor someone. I think a lot of players have honored him. It's the reason why I've recorded his voice throughout the years, and I'll continue to honor him every time I go to the plate for the rest of my career. But I was not aware of it and I don't know how many of the players were aware of it.''

Earlier Friday, reports that a bus carrying Yankees players to the funeral got stuck in traffic due to a fatal accident on a Long Island highway were deemed false, according to a team spokesman.

A column in Friday's Daily News took current and former players to task for not making an appearance at the funeral of the Yankees' legendary public address announcer. Jeter, who has a recording of Sheppard introducing him at the plate, was the most conspicuous no-show. According to a team source, Jeter flew home to see his family in Tampa after the All-Star Game in Anaheim on Tuesday night.

"I don't know why he didn't fly back to New York to attend the funeral," the source had said.

"We didn't organize any bus for the players," Yankee publicist Jason Zillo told ESPNNewYork.com. "I don't know about any bus."

Asked if it would have been his responsibility to arrange for team transportation, Zillo said, "I would think so."

NY1 cited police as reporting a bus carrying Yankees players was delayed in a traffic jam caused by an auto accident on the Meadowbrook Parkway in which three people were killed. Other Yankees sources denied any knowledge of the report and confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com that there was no organized travel plan for players to attend the funeral.

"Maybe the players got stuck in traffic in their cars, and then got on a bus to try and make it," said a source, who acknowledged, "That doesn't seem very believable."

Frank Bandiero, a spokesman for the New York State Police, agreed. "I happened to pass the accident site," he told ESPNNewYork.com. "I saw the procession pass by without any problems. There was no traffic whatsoever."

The only prominent Yankees employee to attend the service was GM Brian Cashman, who delivered a eulogy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Jeter is a 1st ballot HoFer; one of the all-time great SS - he played hard, he played hurt and he played to win. His natural instincts for the game are top-notch. I don't think a fan can or should expect anything less or more.

That said, having never prayed at the alter of DJ, I have to admit that I never thought he was the main cog on any of the Yankee championship teams. One of them, for sure, but never the top dog. O'Neil, Bernie, Tino and the pitchers were the keys during those repeat years. When A-Rod showed up, I thought Jeter failed miserably on all counts.

A-Rod was right in the infamous interview he gave to that magazine. I do believe that Jeter was maybe #4 on the list of Yankee players that opposing teams worried about. I think even Jeter knows that which is why he was so angry.

Okay - 2nd half of the season begins - lets finish the Jeter bashing and enjoy another excellent pennant race.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]#1...misleading thread title..he's not perfect, never claimed to be #2 irt to Bob Sheppard... Yanks miss Sheppard funeral By Wallace Matthews ESPNNewYork.com Archive NEW YORK -- The Yankees weren't at Bob Sheppard's funeral, and according to team captain Derek Jeter some didn't even know when the event was taking place. "To be quite honest with you, I didn't even know his funeral was yesterday,'' Jeter said on Friday. "Having said that, I don't necessarily think you have to go to a funeral to honor someone. I think a lot of players have honored him. It's the reason why I've recorded his voice throughout the years, and I'll continue to honor him every time I go to the plate for the rest of my career. But I was not aware of it and I don't know how many of the players were aware of it.'' Earlier Friday, reports that a bus carrying Yankees players to the funeral got stuck in traffic due to a fatal accident on a Long Island highway were deemed false, according to a team spokesman.   As the Yankees, minus two Bronx legends, get set for the second half, we look back at the team's most memorable moments of 2010. A column in Friday's Daily News took current and former players to task for not making an appearance at the funeral of the Yankees' legendary public address announcer. Jeter, who has a recording of Sheppard introducing him at the plate, was the most conspicuous no-show. According to a team source, Jeter flew home to see his family in Tampa after the All-Star Game in Anaheim on Tuesday night. "I don't know why he didn't fly back to New York to attend the funeral," the source had said. "We didn't organize any bus for the players," Yankee publicist Jason Zillo told ESPNNewYork.com. "I don't know about any bus." Asked if it would have been his responsibility to arrange for team transportation, Zillo said, "I would think so." NY1 cited police as reporting a bus carrying Yankees players was delayed in a traffic jam caused by an auto accident on the Meadowbrook Parkway in which three people were killed. Other Yankees sources denied any knowledge of the report and confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com that there was no organized travel plan for players to attend the funeral. "Maybe the players got stuck in traffic in their cars, and then got on a bus to try and make it," said a source, who acknowledged, "That doesn't seem very believable." Frank Bandiero, a spokesman for the New York State Police, agreed. "I happened to pass the accident site," he told ESPNNewYork.com. "I saw the procession pass by without any problems. There was no traffic whatsoever." The only prominent Yankees employee to attend the service was GM Brian Cashman, who delivered a eulogy.
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Jeter should have made it his business to know what the funeral arrangements were; even a child knows that a funeral is usually shortly after one's demise; and Jeter is usually a competent adult in everything he does; either that, or either it wasn't important enought to him, or it's an excuse. He seemed to have enough bearings to Fly to Oklahoma to attend Murcer's memorial in '09; this could be what I call "player arrogance".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe-. Show The---Babe-'s posts

In Response to Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect:
    [QUOTE]This is actually the reverse. Derek Jeter had a great upbringing; his manners seem impeccable; he never had rabbit ears; woman love him; men want to be him; (he should sell Dos Equus Beer); he has been devoid of scandal, even Canseco said he's the player least likely to have done PEDs; and to this day, despite his aging skills, he still time and again proves his detractors wrong, with a Hollywood like flair for the dramatic. Even players and FO people on the RS admire him. I am not 1/100 of what this man is, I admit. Some fans (especially in RSN) look for every excuse imaginable to vent about him, and as a result he can never win. It's not his fault the fans voted him in, or that his 5th GG should have gone to someone else. But, in the category of nobody's perfect, there are a few things he's done that raise an eyebrow.   1) Several yrs ago, he had a problem with the NY Dep't of Revenue due to multi-state residences; his accountants fixed it.   2) When ARod first came to the Yankees, ARod was the better SS; Bernie was already declining in CF; he could have moved there; he certainly would have figured out how to play it, and historically speaking a Yankee CFer is more glamorous than a SS. When ARod and him didn't see eye-to-eye, he could have handled it better. Although they publicly buried the hatchet, I'm guessing Jeter still can't stand him, not that I blame him.   3) Up until this yr; he gave Managers a hard time about not playing; he doesn't know when to rest. He was even upset at first about being put on the DL. And the Manager is afraid to bat him lower in the order.   4) Despite all his dalliances with the fairer gender, (which included I believe, half the MAXIM Cover Girls)   he felt the need a few yrs ago to canvas universities to look for more. He may make Tiger Woods and Wilt Chamberlain look like Mother Teresa. 5) He missed Bob Sheppard's funeral, who he was supposedly so fond of.   6) A poll in the NY Post showed that 57% felt he should have gone to the ASG, and this is a NY Poll, mind you.   Although I’m on the fence some about this, I actually side with him here. He’s older; he was hurt; he was under intense media scrutiny and pressure, like Maris was in ’61.   Here's guessing, realizing he can't be all things to all people, he has to worry about himself, he has no regrets, and figures it'll blow over. (I'm sure hostile fans shall remind him, however, especially at the Fens.). However, he shouldn’t be seen in Miami during the ASB, but holed up somewhere locally to rest, like he claims he needed. Also, he could have donated his 500K ASG bonus   to show good faith, the guy’s only worth at least a Quarter Billion $$, if not twice that.   7)  He could have offered to help out this kid with the ball. Contrast this to what Maris did in ’61,   who was making 40K at the time (maybe that's 200K+ now); when Sal Durante wanted to give him the ball for nothing, Maris told him to keep the ball and get his money.  That  bothers me. I'm sure others will pile on; I don't care, and this is JMHO.

Spoken like a true sawx fan.........

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect : Jeter should have made it his business to know what the funeral arrangements were; even a child knows that a funeral is usually shortly after one's demise; and Jeter is usually a competent adult in everything he does; either that, or either it wasn't important enought to him, or it's an excuse. He seemed to have enough bearings to Fly to Oklahoma to attend Murcer's memorial in '09; this could be what I call "player arrogance".(call it what you like, doesn't make it gospel)
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE] so should have everyone who wasn't there, your need to single Jeter out is your need..whatever, it's all good, your opinion is just that, doesn't make you right, doesn't make you wrong, ATEOTD, we'll go on...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect : so should have everyone who wasn't there, your need to single Jeter out is your need..whatever, it's all good, your opinion is just that, doesn't make you right, doesn't make you wrong, ATEOTD, we'll go on...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

He is the Captain, and he always made a bigger deal about Sheppard than any other player from the recent regime. And FWIW, they're all wrong; but this thread is about Jeter, not the whole team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect : He is the Captain, and he always made a bigger deal about Sheppard than any other player from the recent regime. And FWIW, they're all wrong; but this thread is about Jeter, not the whole team.
      This thread is an attempt to chip away at the reputation of one of the most respected players in baseball, nothing more. And the fact he's a Yankee riding a high after accomplishing a major milestone is probably the motive. Tough for some to watch.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect : He is the Captain, and he always made a bigger deal about Sheppard than any other player from the recent regime. And FWIW, they're all wrong; but this thread is about Jeter, not the whole team.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE] obviously it is, like i said your need to single Jeter out and paint him in a bad light is YOUR need and YOUR opinion, on a positive note...bigger fish to fry...baseball back on!!!......Go Yanks!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect :   This thread is an attempt to chip away at the reputation of one of the most respected players in baseball, nothing more. And the fact he's a Yankee riding a high after accomplishing a major milestone is probably the motive. Tough for some to watch.
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

Incorrect; I am a huge Jeter fan who is showing he's made a few mistakes that actually bother me. I've talked smack with his detractors here until I got sick of it, and if anything I was trying to take the sting out of their baseless drivel; such as 

1) Whining about his PAs, while ignoring his lifetime, BA

2) Underrating him like nobody's business; if you rank the 3K hit club, IMO he's about #15 or 16

3) Ignoring his contribution to his 5 rings, and counting

4) The vent inspired moronic & baseless charge of PED use; then again, every Yankee who does well is on PEDs, according to some posters here.

5) Cheating, with umpire support, and other critiques of his impeccable sportsmanship and media savvy.

6) Range notwithstanding, his defense, which is otherwise spectacular; As far as range goes, Jim Leyland, who knows something about the game, claims range is overrated; these posters also jump on the Bill James bandwagon that he's a horrible SS; which says far more about James's imperfect metrics and who he works for than it does about Jeter 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect : Incorrect; I am a huge Jeter fan who is showing he's made a few mistakes that actually bother me. I've talked smack with his detractors here until I got sick of it, and if anything I was trying to take the sting out of their baseless drivel; such as  1) Whining about his PAs, while ignoring his lifetime, BA 2) Underrating him like nobody's business; if you rank the 3K hit club, IMO he's about #15 or 16 3) Ignoring his contribution to his 5 rings, and counting 4) The vent inspired moronic & baseless charge of PED use; then again, every Yankee who does well is on PEDs, according to some posters here. 5) Cheating, with umpire support, and other critiques of his impeccable sportsmanship and media savvy. 6) Range notwithstanding, his defense, which is otherwise spectacular; As far as range goes, Jim Leyland, who knows something about the game, claims range is overrated; these posters also jump on the Bill James bandwagon that he's a horrible SS; which says far more about James's imperfect metrics and who he works for than it does about Jeter 
      I have a friend whi insists Nunez should start at SS. When I mentioned his 10 errors, he justified it as a result of "having more range."...I said to him that if that was true, you start Nunez and explain his 30+ errors at the end of the season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect :   I have a friend whi insists Nunez should start at SS. When I mentioned his 10 errors, he justified it as a result of "having more range."...I said to him that if that was true, you start Nunez and explain his 30+ errors at the end of the season.
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

That's a small factor in errors, and an excuse. But he has a nice bat, and maybe he'll get the klinks out of his defense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect : That's a small factor in errors, and an excuse. But he has a nice bat, and maybe he'll get the klinks out of his defense.
      I agree. Good range is nice, but I've said since Bucky dent was playing, give me a SS who makes all the routine plays.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]what a strange post for a '' yankeefan '' to post on a sox board
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]