Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect

Very well sai. Jeter was in trouble with owing $5 million in taxes by fraudently claimimng his residence was Florida and not New York. The Bob Shepard funeral was bad and he took a recording of Bob Shepard's announcing his name down to the All Star Game last year.  Also that phoney Hit by pitch last year when he faked it . He is not the good guy that he makes himself out to be. You are right he should pick up that kids tuition, the guy who caught the ball, after all he is only making 15 million a year.

In Response to Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect:
    [QUOTE]This is actually the reverse. Derek Jeter had a great upbringing; his manners seem impeccable; he never had rabbit ears; woman love him; men want to be him; (he should sell Dos Equus Beer); he has been devoid of scandal, even Canseco said he's the player least likely to have done PEDs; and to this day, despite his aging skills, he still time and again proves his detractors wrong, with a Hollywood like flair for the dramatic. Even players and FO people on the RS admire him. I am not 1/100 of what this man is, I admit. Some fans (especially in RSN) look for every excuse imaginable to vent about him, and as a result he can never win. It's not his fault the fans voted him in, or that his 5th GG should have gone to someone else. But, in the category of nobody's perfect, there are a few things he's done that raise an eyebrow.   1) Several yrs ago, he had a problem with the NY Dep't of Revenue due to multi-state residences; his accountants fixed it.   2) When ARod first came to the Yankees, ARod was the better SS; Bernie was already declining in CF; he could have moved there; he certainly would have figured out how to play it, and historically speaking a Yankee CFer is more glamorous than a SS. When ARod and him didn't see eye-to-eye, he could have handled it better. Although they publicly buried the hatchet, I'm guessing Jeter still can't stand him, not that I blame him.   3) Up until this yr; he gave Managers a hard time about not playing; he doesn't know when to rest. He was even upset at first about being put on the DL. And the Manager is afraid to bat him lower in the order.   4) Despite all his dalliances with the fairer gender, (which included I believe, half the MAXIM Cover Girls)   he felt the need a few yrs ago to canvas universities to look for more. He may make Tiger Woods and Wilt Chamberlain look like Mother Teresa. 5) He missed Bob Sheppard's funeral, who he was supposedly so fond of.   6) A poll in the NY Post showed that 57% felt he should have gone to the ASG, and this is a NY Poll, mind you.   Although I’m on the fence some about this, I actually side with him here. He’s older; he was hurt; he was under intense media scrutiny and pressure, like Maris was in ’61.   Here's guessing, realizing he can't be all things to all people, he has to worry about himself, he has no regrets, and figures it'll blow over. (I'm sure hostile fans shall remind him, however, especially at the Fens.). However, he shouldn’t be seen in Miami during the ASB, but holed up somewhere locally to rest, like he claims he needed. Also, he could have donated his 500K ASG bonus   to show good faith, the guy’s only worth at least a Quarter Billion $$, if not twice that.   7)  He could have offered to help out this kid with the ball. Contrast this to what Maris did in ’61,   who was making 40K at the time (maybe that's 200K+ now); when Sal Durante wanted to give him the ball for nothing, Maris told him to keep the ball and get his money.  That  bothers me. I'm sure others will pile on; I don't care, and this is JMHO.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

This thread is interesting.  makes me think about DJ's true legacy.  I guess, in the end, I don't care if he is some kind of saint, a "good guy", a role model, or a good "clubhouse guy" even.  That stuff, to me, whether he is or isn't any of those things, clouds what makes him a baseball legend:  the dude is a quintessential old-school gamer.  Never complains (publicly), is all business, and, while never the real catalyst on those Yankee championship clubs, he was certainly the rudder:  calm under pressure, always at ease on the big stage: his confidence (arrogance?  cockiness?) surely bolstering his team. He was, is, as Francona says, "frightening" in this way.  On the field, he was, is, smooth, in total control, and hits and fields with the calculating efficiency of an assassin.  People will want to paint him as some kind of hero, as he may be as close to one as exists in the easy-to-be-cynical-about game today.  But this surely distracts us from what actually makes Jeter great.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect:
    [QUOTE]Very well sai. Jeter was in trouble with owing $5 million in taxes by fraudently claimimng his residence was Florida and not New York. The Bob Shepard funeral was bad and he took a recording of Bob Shepard's announcing his name down to the All Star Game last year.  Also that phoney Hit by pitch last year when he faked it . He is not the good guy that he makes himself out to be. You are right he should pick up that kids tuition, the guy who caught the ball, after all he is only making 15 million a year. In Response to Derek Jeter, Mr. Perfect :
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

I strongly disagree about the HBP; I've made several comments on other threads before, and I'm not repeating myself here.