Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!!

Sorry, this post isn't meant to offend our opponants fans in NYC as I've a ton of respect for Derek Jeter and his accomplishments over his long career but this shows that All-Star voting in a popularity contest. Just like last years Golden Glove Award was a joke in going to an older, slower Derek Jeter, having Jeter as an All-star starter is also a joke. He hit .270 last year with 10 hrs, 67rbis and this years production is pathetic. An All-star selection is as mentioned, a joke and keeps another more deserving player off of the team. If Jeter were to announce retirement and the AL coach wanted to name him as a reserve player out of respect I could see it. 

Hetchinspete.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!!

You're right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It's a popularity contest, nothing more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Jed was cheated I telz ya. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I don't have a problem with this.  At the end of the day, despite the playoff implications, the All-star game is an exhibition.  The fans' favorite players should be on the field.  I would have more of an issue if he were selected by the players or manager - fans are allowed to be biased.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He's one of the worst players in the game and he's the starting SS....The All Star game gets worse and worse every year........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

I wonder how many of you were complaining when Cal Ripken was still getting voted in late in his career.......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Same deal with Ripken albeit Cal was much better than jeter throughout his career

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Babe,

Point taken. But many players over the years have been voted in late in their careers out of respect for their long term great careers. It still doesn't change the fact that Jeter is well past his best playing days and doesn't deserve to be an All-Star.

Hetchinspete 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

To  Slomag, if this game is truly a exhibition game as you say, then why is the home field during the WS dependent on the outcome of the game.
    I don't disagree with your assumption that it should be regarded as a exhibition game, but why is their any importance put on it?
    Does anyone think that a player from a non contenting team really care if the Yankee, Res Sox, Phillies or any other team in contention really cares and plays to win the AS game  with that thought in mind?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from the---yazzer. Show the---yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!!:
    I don't have a problem with this.  At the end of the day, despite the playoff implications, the All-star game is an exhibition.  The fans' favorite players should be on the field.  I would have more of an issue if he were selected by the players or manager - fans are allowed to be biased.  
    Posted by slomag

fans are allowed to be ignorant.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

To  Slomag, if this game is truly a exhibition game as you say, then why is the home field during the WS dependent on the outcome of the game. I don't disagree with your assumption that it should be regarded as a exhibition game, but why is their any importance put on it? Does anyone think that a player from a non contenting team really care if the Yankee, Res Sox, Phillies or any other team in contention really cares and plays to win the AS game  with that thought in mind?
    Posted by peanutandme

The WS implications are relatively new and were put in place to discourage managers from emptying the bench in an attempt to get all of the players into a game.  I wouldn't be surprised to see this rule change, especially if the AL continues to dominate.

I think the players do their best, out of self-pride and the competitive natures that got them to the peak of their profession to begin with.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The fact is that Jeter is still the face of MLB and will continue to be so until he retires. Of course his numbers do not support his inclusion - I don't think anyone can argue that point. But he is the only AL shortstop that the fans want to see.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

Babe, Point taken. But many players over the years have been voted in late in their careers out of respect for their long term great careers. It still doesn't change the fact that Jeter is well past his best playing days and doesn't deserve to be an All-Star. Hetchinspete 
    Posted by Hetchinspete

Does he deserve to be on the all-star team this year? not in my mind. but the voters just play favorites and that's how they do it unfortunately. what do you consider "well past", hetch? he only had one better fielding year at shortstop than 2009 when he batted .334 and that was 2010. Here, this should make it easy for you.

Batting

Year                    AVG

1995                    .250

1996                    .314

1997                    .291

1998                    .324

1999                    .349

2000                    .339

2001                    .311

2002                    .297

2003                    .324

2004                    .292

2005                    .309

2006                    .344

2007                    .322

2008                    .300

2009                    .334

2010                    .270

2011                    .260

Career                .312

Fielding

Year                    E        FPCT

1997                    18      .975

1998                    9        .986

1999                    14      .978

2000                    24      .961

2001                    15      .974

2002                    14      .977

2003                    14      .969

2004                    13      .981

2005                    15      .979

2006                    15      .975

2007                    18      .970

2008                    12      .979

2009                    8        .986

2010                    6        .989

2011                    4        .981

Total                   213    .977

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!! : Does he deserve to be on the all-star team this year? not in my mind. but the voters just play favorites and that's how they do it unfortunately. what do you consider "well past", hetch? he only had one better fielding year at shotstop than 2009 when he batted .334 and that was 2010. Here, this should make it easy for you. Batting Year                     AVG 1995                     .250 1996                     .314 1997                     .291 1998                     .324 1999                     .349 2000                     .339 2001                     .311 2002                     .297 2003                     .324 2004                     .292 2005                     .309 2006                     .344 2007                     .322 2008                     .300 2009                     .334 2010                     .270 2011                     .260 Career                 .312   Fielding Year                     E         FPCT 1997                     18       .975 1998                     9         .986 1999                     14       .978 2000                     24       .961 2001                     15       .974 2002                     14       .977 2003                     14       .969 2004                     13       .981 2005                     15       .979 2006                     15       .975 2007                     18       .970 2008                     12       .979 2009                     8         .986 2010                     6         .989 2011                     4         .981 Total                    213     .977
    Posted by johnnyboy9

His fielding PCT might be high but that can be a false barometer of his ability to play the position. He's much slower than in the past with very limited range, so while his fielding pct is good I don't think it holds much water if he's not getting to balls other younger and quicker shortstops are getting to. I give him credit for not making many errors, but how many hits and runs is he letting in with his limited range and aging reflexes.

Hetchinspete.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Same deal with Ripken albeit Cal was much better than jeter throughout his career
    Posted by andrewmitch

Jeter has a substantially higher career batting average and will end up with more career hits

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

To  Slomag, if this game is truly a exhibition game as you say, then why is the home field during the WS dependent on the outcome of the game. I don't disagree with your assumption that it should be regarded as a exhibition game, but why is their any importance put on it? Does anyone think that a player from a non contenting team really care if the Yankee, Res Sox, Phillies or any other team in contention really cares and plays to win the AS game  with that thought in mind?
    Posted by peanutandme

This game should not having any implication on home field advantage in the World Series. The team with the best regular season winning percentage should get home field advantage.

Hetchinspete

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

forget the stats, just ask real yankees fans, do you think jeter has been great enough this year to be named an all star? 

Jed Lowrie has better numbers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

forget the stats, just ask real yankees fans, do you think jeter has been great enough this year to be named an all star?  Jed Lowrie has better numbers.
    Posted by btownteamsrking

He's also injured, and has a sieve for a glove. It should have been Adsdrubal Cabrera. Homerish.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

Asdrubal Cabrera deserved that spot.
    Posted by Cuthbertallbad

Without a doubt! I would have no problem with Jeter as a sub for his "veteran presence" in late innings, but the best SS in the AL this year is Cabrera and he deserved to start.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

If Jeter is the class act we are always told he is, he will respectfully decline the invite and defer to Cabrera.

Sections
Shortcuts