Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!!

Jeter's range has always been bad to horrible. All of his GG awards are farces. The guy has one of the worst career UZR's in MLB history.

He has been a great offensive SS and will make the HOF easily. Here has never been a good fielding SS. Fielding % is near meaningless.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!!:
    [QUOTE]Jeter's range has always been bad to horrible. All of his GG awards are farces. The guy has one of the worst career UZR's in MLB history. He has been a great offensive SS and will make the HOF easily. Here has never been a good fielding SS. Fielding % is near meaningless.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Get off of your high horse. Like I've said before, the voters were not wrong on Jeter five times. Jeter is a good fielder, unlike Jed, who just missed out on an All-Star berth, and of course, Bellsbury. If fielding percentage were meaningless, they would not keep track of it. Kind of like how you are the only person who keeps track of the running total of posts in your drivel threads.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

for a singles hitter, jeter has been very good

keep in mind though, he's been able to accumulate all of those hits because of the line up he plays in - he constantly led the league in PA's......

he's pretty much a one dimensional SS; and now not even that........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Jeter's range has always been bad to horrible. All of his GG awards are farces. The guy has one of the worst career UZR's in MLB history. He has been a great offensive SS and will make the HOF easily. Here has never been a good fielding SS. Fielding % is near meaningless.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

This time Moon, I don't agree. I'm not going to rehash my assessment of him yet again, except to say there is no doubt there were always limitations to his defensive game, but also incredible plusses. And UZR to me, is a defective measure. We're not playing rotisserie baseball; there's a reason he has 5 Rings, and it's partly due to him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]for a singles hitter, jeter has been very good keep in mind though, he's been able to accumulate all of those hits because of the line up he plays in - he constantly led the league in PA's...... he's pretty much a one dimensional SS; and now not even that........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Really? Isn't that an exaggeration? (It was 4 times, BTW) What about his career BA? It is pathetic to try to shoot potholes into this great player. 3K hits doesn't happen every day. BTW, his career BA is 30 points higher than Yaz (who also has 3K hits), who, regardless of your drivel and this comparison, is a player I always admired.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It would be nice if everyone here was honest and objective.  Jeter is , without doubt , a first ballot Hall of Famer. He does not deserve to be the starting All Star shortstop this year.  He also has received Golden Gloves that others were more deserving of. He has had a great enough career without being awarded honors that he has not earned.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!! : He's also injured, and has a sieve for a glove. It should have been Adsdrubal Cabrera. Homerish.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a true red flops nfan.......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE] It would be nice if everyone here was honest and objective.  Jeter is , without doubt , a first ballot Hall of Famer. He does not deserve to be the starting All Star shortstop this year.  He also has received Golden Gloves that others were more deserving of. He has had a great enough career without being awarded honors that he has not earned.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It would be good if he gets his 3,000 hit this season, and retires. Can't wait for him to be gone. Or maybe that will be bad because the Yankees will acquire Jose Reyes... than I will really miss Jeter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

For all that is seemingly wrong with Jeter's aged game these days he still is reliable when it comes to the routine play, a quality that should not be taken for granted with the lack of quality shortstops in baseball.  -- ESPN

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]Same deal with Ripken albeit Cal was much better than jeter throughout his career
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

By much better are you referring to the 9 seasons where Cal didn't hit higher than .264 (including one season of .239) and still made the AS team?

Think much before you post?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

jeter is joe D reborn...a classy winner who makes it all look effortless...he's got rings and HOF stats...good for him

maybe the only Yankee player I ever liked - he deserves to start!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

It's not the All-Class Game.  There are a lot of classy gentlemen in the game who will never see the All-Star Game.  It's about superior performance in the first half and shouldn't be about anything besides that.

.260, 2HR's and 20 RBI is simply not All-Star worthy, even if the player is Jesus Christ himself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Absolutley no question in my mind that Jeter is deserving of the spot...He's on the presipist of becomeing the 1st Yankee in history to get 3000 hits, all while wearing pinstripes, he's a 1st ballot hall of famer, and Iconic figure who has carried himself with dignity and class throughout his career!

IMO, when were talking about one of the greatest players to play his position, stats don't matter and I am sure there are more deserving guys if you look at it through that narrow prisism. Like May's and Arron and the players of the 70's toward sthe end of thier respective careers there were always guys with better stats, none with better resumes...Call it a career achievement and recognition for playing the game the right way for 20 years...While I hate the unifirm the guy wears, I have nothing but repect and admiration for Jeter the public person and professianal ball player...

just one Sox fans take on it...agree or disagree, or agree to disagree, doesn't change my stance on it...I'd much rather see guys like Jeter get rewarded for "how they play the game" than guy like Hanley Ramirez who could stand to take a lesson or two from a pro like Jeter!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

[QUOTE]Absolutley no question in my mind that Jeter is deserving of the spot...He's on the presipist of becomeing the 1st Yankee in history to get 3000 hits, all while wearing pinstripes, he's a 1st ballot hall of famer, and Iconic figure who has carried himself with dignity and class throughout his career! IMO, when were talking about one of the greatest players to play his position, stats don't matter and I am sure there are more deserving guys if you look at it through that narrow prisism. Like May's and Arron and the players of the 70's toward sthe end of thier respective careers there were always guys with better stats, none with better resumes...Call it a career achievement and recognition for playing the game the right way for 20 years...While I hate the unifirm the guy wears, I have nothing but repect and admiration for Jeter the public person and professianal ball player... just one Sox fans take on it...agree or disagree, or agree to disagree, doesn't change my stance on it...I'd much rather see guys like Jeter get rewarded for "how they play the game" than guy like Hanley Ramirez who could stand to take a lesson or two from a pro like Jeter!
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Jeter could teach him how to fake getting hit by a pitch.  Genuine class on display there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!! : Yeah, Jeter could teach him how to fake getting hit by a pitch.  Genunie class on display there.
    Posted by crix[/QUOTE]

That would be a good place to start. Whether you like it or not, what Jeter did there was called gamemanship. I for one didn't then and don't now have a problem with his fiegning to get hit. He did his job as a top of the order hitter...He got on base! He's not the first, nor that last to do it...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!!:
    [QUOTE]Sorry, this post isn't meant to offend our opponants fans in NYC as I've a ton of respect for Derek Jeter and his accomplishments over his long career but this shows that All-Star voting in a popularity contest. Just like last years Golden Glove Award was a joke in going to an older, slower Derek Jeter, having Jeter as an All-star starter is also a joke. He hit .270 last year with 10 hrs, 67rbis and this years production is pathetic. An All-star selection is as mentioned, a joke and keeps another more deserving player off of the team. If Jeter were to announce retirement and the AL coach wanted to name him as a reserve player out of respect I could see it.  Hetchinspete.  
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

I have been a die hard Sox fan since since the age of 9 and a huge Jeter fan but this does go to show the flaws in the All Star voting.  Jeter has been a great player and captain to the Yanks on the field and role model for kids but he doesn't deserve to be the starting SS this season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!! : I have been a die hard Sox fan since since the age of 9 and a huge Jeter fan but this does go to show the flaws in the All Star voting.  Jeter has been a great player and captain to the Yanks on the field and role model for kids but he doesn't deserve to be the starting SS this season.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that. Nunez makes a ton of errors (.901 FPct), even if his range is better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!! : That would be a good place to start. Whether you like it or not, what Jeter did there was called gamemanship. I for one didn't then and don't now have a problem with his fiegning to get hit. He did his job as a top of the order hitter...He got on base! He's not the first, nor that last to do it...

Gamesmanship? No, it's called deliberately deceiving an umpire, AKA cheating.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!! : Gamesmanship? No, it's called deliberately deceiving an umpire, AKA cheating.
    Posted by crix[/QUOTE]

And what did you call it last year when vmart pretended to get hit in the foot?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!! : The WS implications are relatively new and were put in place to discourage managers from emptying the bench in an attempt to get all of the players into a game. Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I think they put in the rule just to make it more interesting, not to keep managers from getting everyone in.  Isn't getting everyone in a good thing?  Why do you say that's why the rule was put in?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!! : That would be a good place to start. Whether you like it or not, what Jeter did there was called gamemanship. I for one didn't then and don't now have a problem with his fiegning to get hit. He did his job as a top of the order hitter...He got on base! He's not the first, nor that last to do it...

Bush league move and beneath him.  Sure it's his job to get on base, but you've heard of cheating, right?  And don't give us this 'other people have done it' stuff.  Other people have done a lot of things, one of the reasons Jeter is generally repsected is because he (usually) distinguishes himself, not because he acts like other players.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

The thing in general about this string is, it's VOTED, so if you think he doesn't deserve it, vote for someone else.  Popular voting doesn't often give optimal results, look at our government.  "No one ever went broke under-estimating the American public."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!! : And what did you call it last year when vmart pretended to get hit in the foot?
    Posted by ---The-Babe---[/QUOTE]

Same answer, cheating.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter: Starting AL shortstop. You gotta be kidding!! : And what did you call it last year when vmart pretended to get hit in the foot?
    Posted by ---The-Babe---[/QUOTE]

I don't care who does it.  It's wrong regardless of which player of whichever team tries it.