Derek Jeter will not attend the All-Star Game because of “emotional and physical exhaustion”-Do you agree with his decision?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Derek Jeter will n...

by Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi /Fox Sports

Phoenix

New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter will not attend the All-Star Game because of “emotional and physical exhaustion” from his pursuit of 3,000 hits, according to two people with knowledge of his mindset.

Regardless, the debate over Jeter’s decision continues.

Giants closer Brian Wilson, without addressing Jeter specifically, said during the All-Star media availability on Monday that players who are elected or selected to an All-Star team should participate in the festivities unless they are too limited physically to attend.

Jeter, elected by the fans as the American League’s starting shortstop, recently spent 17 days on the disabled list with a strained right calf. However, he played in the Yankees’ final six games before the All-Star break, reaching 3,000 hits with a stirring 5-for-5 performance Saturday.

“I would say that you would show up, unless you need these three days to recover,” Wilson said. “You are representing your team, so it would be good to be here.”

Wilson then was asked if elected starters carry more of an obligation to participate, knowing that they were elected by the fans.

“I don’t know if (it’s an) obligation, but it’s one of your duties as a player, out of respect, knowing that there was a guy that really wanted to be on the All-Star team, and his stats were right there, and he would have loved the chance to be here,” Wilson said.

“Whether you’re taking it for granted or just think it’s a grind, I always think about the pitcher who is better than me at this moment.”

Jeter said after reaching 3,000 hits that he felt “a lot of pressure” to reach the milestone at his home park, Yankee Stadium. That pressure — and the quick turnaround to the All-Star Game — led to Jeter sticking with his decision to withdraw, a decision he originally made last week based on his need for rest.

One source close to Jeter speculated that the shortstop might have reversed course if he had reached 3,000 hits earlier last week and had time to “decompress.” But Jeter had no such time; he would have had to board a flight to Phoenix after Sunday’s game, just one day after his big moment.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

Re: Derek Jeter will not attend the All-Star Game because of “emotional and physical exhaustion”-Do you agree wit...

I think Jeter is and always has been a "stand-up guy". Could it be that he trully believes he didn't have All-star numbers and didn't deserve to be an All-star this season, and it's his way of letting someone play who deserves it more. I would think after finally getting to the 3000 hit plateau, that the weight would finally be off his shoulders and he could just go and have fun.
    Perhaps the All-star festivities aren't seen as fun for someone in Jeter's position, a guy who's been there so often.
    Either way, let's face it, the All-star game is more about entertainment than it is about sport, even if the outcome determines home field advantage for the W.S. To answer your question, I guess you should show if you've been voted in.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Re: Derek Jeter will not attend the All-Star Game because of “emotional and physical exhaustion”-Do you agree wit...

The bottom line is the All-Star Game decides who gets home field advantage in the WS. Therefore, it counts. Jeter was healthy enough to go 5 for 5. He should show up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

nice post soxfanwest

I have NP with what wilson said

but not buying the ''“emotional and physical exhaustion''

BS he said he wasn't going 1st day off the DL

Giants closer Brian Wilson, without addressing Jeter specifically, said during the All-Star media availability on Monday that players who are elected or selected to an All-Star team should participate in the festivities unless they are too limited physically to attend.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

This just out, for next year, Selig announces he will change the rule to state that the team that has the fewest chosen players back out of the game, will get home field advantage...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

The Home field advantage angle has some merit in the case of Jeter, because his team is a contender at the moment. But do you think a player from Kansas City or Baltimore or any other club that has little or no chance making it to the play-offs cares. I mean, I'll admit I thought the idea of adding this to the All-star game added a spark and maybe gave purpose to playing the game hard and with meaning. But there's always that chance that a guy could be playing for the other league before the trade deadline. Slim chance, mind you, but you never know.

I know this gets away from the original post. I would just like to see a different way of voting and let the guys who played the first half of the season like All-stars, get too be All-stars.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Jeter will not attend the All-Star Game because of “emotional and physical exhaustion”-Do you agree with his decision?:
    [QUOTE] Perhaps the All-star festivities aren't seen as fun for someone in Jeter's position, a guy who's been there so often. Posted by soxfanwest[/QUOTE]

Whether it's fun for Jeter or not should not weigh into the decision at all.  Right or wrong, the fans voted him in because the fans want to see him play.  If he is healthy he should play.  And if he does have an injury that is keeping him from playing, he should at least attend the festivities.

Somebody, I can't remember who, said that any player who receives a bonus for making the AS team then doesn't go should be required to give the bonus to charity.  I think that's a good idea.

Lastly, the whole idea of the ASG determining home field advantage in the WS is a crock.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Personally I can't get too wound up about this either way but I did not like it when Manny Ramirez did not at least attend the game and don't think it is right this time either.

If Jeter is tired I get it. Maybe he doesn't want to play because of it. But the fans voted him in. The fans are the source of the revenue that has made Jeter a fabulously wealthy person for being exceptional at a game. Showing up out of respect for the game and the fans would be a good thing.

It isn't a good thing whether it is Jeter, Pedro Martinez or Manny Ramirez. But this really isn't a huge issue, it certainly won't change where in the HOF they put his eventual plaque. :) 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leinad1. Show leinad1's posts

That is nuts! I just lost a lot of respect for Jeter. What is he making?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Personally I'd rather dip my genitals in honey an sit on an army ant mound, while watching a Maude marathon, then watch an All Star game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Jeter would be less "emotionally and physicalyl exhausted" if he did not date so many women. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

Jeter is just coming off an injury, and has been back about a week.  Sensibly, he needs the recovery time.  He has always been a stand up guy.  Here in NY, some Mets fans were ragging on A-Rod for backing out, even knowing that he was hurting.  As it turns out, he has surgery on his knee, which only goes to show that some people will rag on members of a team that they oppose.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

He took a look at his first half numbers, realized he had no business being in the All-Star Game, and did the respectable thing by bowing out and giving someone else a chance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Jeter will not attend the All-Star Game because of “emotional and physical exhaustion”-Do you agree with his decision?:
    [QUOTE]He took a look at his first half numbers, realized he had no business being in the All-Star Game, and did the respectable thing by bowing out and giving someone else a chance@osted by crix[/QUOTE]

A graceful, respectful answer. But this time you (of all people) are giving him too much credit; he was recently hurt, and the 3K pursuit was stressful, and, well, he's 37. Quote: Q: Did you celebrate Saturday Night? A: Only a little; I don't recover like I used to, and there was a game to play Sunday.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]This just out, for next year, Selig announces he will change the rule to state that the team that has the fewest chosen players back out of the game, will get home field advantage...
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

Funny.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Derek Jeter will not attend the All-Star Game because of “emotional and physical exhaustion”-Do you agree with his decision? :  Jeez, a week ago people were upset because jeter had been elected and shouldn'tbe there. Now they're upset he backed out.
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

IMO, people were right on both counts. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter will not attend the All-Star Game because of “emotional and physical exhaustion”-Do you agree with his decision? : A graceful, respectful answer. But this time you (of all people) are giving him too much credit; he was recently hurt, and the 3K pursuit was stressful, and, well, he's 37. Quote: Q: Did you celebrate Saturday Night? A: Only a little; I don't recover like I used to, and there was a game to play Sunday.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Too many Red Sox fans here doling out unreciprocated praise and adulation towards a member of the hated rival. It has regrettably rubbed off on me.

He was fine to play the past week and rack up a number of hits including the big one.  He would've been fine to take a couple of innings in Arizona.  His election was on popularity only, and being the Jesus/Ghandi/Mother Teresa-like saint we are all told he is, he realized that more deserving men should play in it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I agree with Zac.

Sometimes the excuses some players come up with to take an extra day during the AS Break are just laughable.

Me?  I would prefer that Beckett and Lester have stayed home - no need to blow out their arms in an exhibition.

Don't care if this is Bud Selig's Bizarro Baseball Universe.  It's an exhibition. Playing for home field in the WS and risking injury is just plain stupid. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]This just out, for next year, Selig announces he will change the rule to state that the team that has the fewest chosen players back out of the game, will get home field advantage...
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

I know who I want to replace Selig as comissioner.  Hats off to you, oh Hairless One....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter will not attend the All-Star Game because of “emotional and physical exhaustion”-Do you agree with his decision? : Too many Red Sox fans here doling out unreciprocated praise and adulation towards a member of the hated rival. It has regrettably rubbed off on me. He was fine to play the past week and rack up a number of hits including the big one.  He would've been fine to take a couple of innings in Arizona.  His election was on popularity only, and being the Jesus/Ghandi/Mother Teresa-like saint we are all told he is, he realized that more deserving men should play in it.
    Posted by crix[/QUOTE]

Except he never did this before. If he did, I would agree with you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Is he too tired and emotional to cash-in his $500,000 bonus check?

that's just derek being derek

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

[QUOTE]Personally I'd rather dip my genitals in honey an sit on an army ant mound, while watching a Maude marathon, then watch an All Star game.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

How about fire ants and watching the maude marathon with rosie o'donnell?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Jeter will not attend the All-Star Game because of “emotional and physical exhaustion”-Do you agree with his decision? : What horsesh-t.. First, you complain that he should have not been voted in. Then when he didn't show, you complain about that. If he DID go, it's a good guess that you would complain he should have let someone else go. That's you being you.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I usually don't agree with Andrew, but I agree with him in this case.

1.  Jeter should have not been voted into the ASG, although I understand and accept why the fans would vote him in.

2.  Since he was voted in, he should have at least made an appearance and let the fans celebrate his accomplishments.

3.  If a player receives a bonus for making the AS team then does not go, he should donate the money to charity.  I know that's not going to happen, but that's what I think should.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

well, said...you summed up my thoughts exactly

Sections
Shortcuts