Derek Lowe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Derek Lowe

The Atlanta Braves reportedly want to shed some payroll and trade a starting pitcher for offense. Derek Lowe had some success during his Boston tenure. He can start or relieve. As a sinkerballer, he can pitch on short rest. He loved Fenway and never wanted to leave. I could see him as an upgrade over Miller/Wakefield. His mid-4 ERA is somewhat misleading, in that he only has a 1.4 WHIP. This suggests he's been unlucky.

The question is what would you give up for him and would he be worth the $15 million guarantee for 2012? I'd offer the disappointing Bobby Jenks ($6 million this year, $6 million next year) to offset some of the cost and maybe add one B-level prospect (Lars Anderson) and one C-level prospect (Stolmy Pimentel). That might be enough to get a deal done. I'd rather have one year of Derek Lowe in 2012 than another year of Bobby Jenks. Effectively, Lowe would add $9 million to next year's payroll (Lowe's $15 million - Jenks' $6 million).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Derek Lowe

Lowe has averaged appx. 14 wins a year since leaving Boston - for Lackey money. That's expected. Problem is, he's doing it in the retirement league.

Facing a pitcher 3 times a game and no DH, his ERA since 2009 is not good.
    He's only won 6 games in 22 starts this year, for a team that's 59-44.
    He's 38. He's a sinker ball pitcher that would further expose the right side of the RedSox infield.

I'll pass.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe:
    [QUOTE]Lowe has averaged appx. 14 wins a year since leaving Boston - for Lackey money. That's expected. Problem is, he's doing it in the retirement league. Facing a pitcher 3 times a game and no DH, his ERA since 2009 is not good. He's only won 6 games in 22 starts this year, for a team that's 59-44. He's 38. He's a sinker ball pitcher that would further expose the right side of the RedSox infield. I'll pass.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
    Good last point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I meant to say "weaker" side of the infield.

This has to be the slowest pre-trade deadline I can remember.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Derek Lowe:
    [QUOTE]The Atlanta Braves reportedly want to shed some payroll and trade a starting pitcher for offense. Derek Lowe had some success during his Boston tenure. He can start or relieve. As a sinkerballer, he can pitch on short rest. He loved Fenway and never wanted to leave. I could see him as an upgrade over Miller/Wakefield. His mid-4 ERA is somewhat misleading, in that he only has a 1.4 WHIP. This suggests he's been unlucky. The question is what would you give up for him and would he be worth the $15 million guarantee for 2012? I'd offer the disappointing Bobby Jenks ($6 million this year, $6 million next year) to offset some of the cost and maybe add one B-level prospect (Lars Anderson) and one C-level prospect (Stolmy Pimentel). That might be enough to get a deal done. I'd rather have one year of Derek Lowe in 2012 than another year of Bobby Jenks. Effectively, Lowe would add $9 million to next year's payroll (Lowe's $15 million - Jenks' $6 million).
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]PERHAPS A BARROOM LEAGUE !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Lowe has averaged appx. 14 wins a year since leaving Boston - for Lackey money. That's expected. Problem is, he's doing it in the retirement league. Facing a pitcher 3 times a game and no DH, his ERA since 2009 is not good. He's only won 6 games in 22 starts this year, for a team that's 59-44. He's 38. He's a sinker ball pitcher that would further expose the right side of the RedSox infield. I'll pass.

I'm confused harness. Don't you mean expose the LEFT side of the infield? The right side has two GG's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]I meant to say "weaker" side of the infield. This has to be the slowest pre-trade deadline I can remember.

Thought that's what you meant.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]The Atlanta Braves reportedly want to shed some payroll and trade a starting pitcher for offense. Derek Lowe had some success during his Boston tenure. He can start or relieve. As a sinkerballer, he can pitch on short rest. He loved Fenway and never wanted to leave. I could see him as an upgrade over Miller/Wakefield. His mid-4 ERA is somewhat misleading, in that he only has a 1.4 WHIP. This suggests he's been unlucky. The question is what would you give up for him and would he be worth the $15 million guarantee for 2012? I'd offer the disappointing Bobby Jenks ($6 million this year, $6 million next year) to offset some of the cost and maybe add one B-level prospect (Lars Anderson) and one C-level prospect (Stolmy Pimentel). That might be enough to get a deal done. I'd rather have one year of Derek Lowe in 2012 than another year of Bobby Jenks. Effectively, Lowe would add $9 million to next year's payroll (Lowe's $15 million - Jenks' $6 million).
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Derek would fit right in but the Braves may want more than the Dodgers would for Karoda.  If not, Derek is also a good choice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

What about taking a chance with Pedro? What have we got to lose?
    He can do no worse than what we have now and I contend he can still get guys out and win some games for us.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBabe-----------------. Show TheBabe-----------------'s posts

Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Ummm.... a 1.4 WHIP is not all that great, so, no, it doesn't suggest he's been unlucky.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

might be retirement league....but Lowe didn't have the run support this Red Sox team now is capable of giving.......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

retirement league won 2 of the last 3 WS? no? Phillies/Giants...retirement league? Really?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]What about taking a chance with Pedro? What have we got to lose? He can do no worse than what we have now and I contend he can still get guys out and win some games for us.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Now THAT I would pay to see. Pedro in a RS uniform again! I think he's still got a few more gems left in him, just with a few more stinkers mixed in than we used to see. I'd sooner bring him aboard that Lowe, if we are trying to bring a pitcher out of semi-retirement.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]I meant to say "weaker" side of the infield. This has to be the slowest pre-trade deadline I can remember.

I agree. Nobody is making moves, there isnt even significant TALK of making moves, and the RS seem to be ho-hum standing firm, discussing everything past tire-kicking TOTALLY under the radar, if they are indeed tryingp to make something happen. Even the ESPN analysts are having a hard time thinking up trades to speculate on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Ummm.... a 1.4 WHIP is not all that great, so, no, it doesn't suggest he's been unlucky.

It's not great, but it's not terrible either. To be precise, it ranks Lowe 87th in the majors. There are 150 starters in the majors (30 x 5) at any given time, so top 30 would be No. 1 starter material, 31-60 No. 2 material, 61-90 No. 3, 91-120 No. 4, and 121-150 No. 5. That puts Lowe in the middle of the pack, as a No. 3 starter, which is more than adequate for the fifth starter he would be in Boston. I don't know why everyone thinks the Red Sox need perfection at every position. Some of us are beginning to sound like entitled Yankees fans.

The more pertinent questions than whether Lowe can be an ace is if he would represent an improvement over Miller (1.87 WHIP) and Wakefield (1.36 WHIP). I'm a little surprised to see Wakefield's WHIP still within the realm of respectability, however 1.87 from Miller (2.23 in his last 5 starts) won't get this team deep into the playoffs.

Pedro Martinez might be more cost-effective in that he'd sign for close to the major league minimum, however it would take him at least a month to tune up for major league duty, at which point we'd already be in September with the roster expansion and a healthy Clay Buchholz. Lowe seems likelier to perform well in the present, if for no other reason than he's been active throughout this time, and can step right in immediately. The Red Sox need someone who can help now, not in 4-6 weeks.

We need to collectively temper our expectations for trade deadline help. The Red Sox aren't going to land a Felix Hernandez or Ubaldo Jimenez (whose WHIP is only .2 lower than Tim Wakefield's). The team might be able to swing a deal for the vastly underrated Erik Bedard, or someone like Derek Lowe. Maybe they look to an internal candidate such as Kevin Millwood, who has pitched decently at Pawtucket. They're going to be looking at end-of-the-rotation candidates because 1-3 is more than adequate with Beckett, Lester and Buchholz. Lackey, despite his struggles, is a good No. 4 too. We're becoming spoiled here. Most teams would be happy with just two of those guys and we expect to have five of them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

One thing is for sure. We know the Yankees are looking to shore up their rotation and we only have 3 regular starters right now, one just coming off the DL.
    We really haven't replaced Dice-K yet, and Miller just doesn't seem to be the one to step in.
    Buchholz may not return and even if he does, will he be effective? I like Wake in the rotation, but that still leaves a spot open, and I think Theo should be aggressive in acquiring another 4 or 5 guy, preferably a LH.
    I think Bedard would be a smart move.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

if the SOX only had that 120 million dollars back.
    they'd still be in 1st place and have all that extra cash to fill some holes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]if the SOX only had that 120 million dollars back. they'd still be in 1st place and have all that extra cash to fill some holes.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

If the Yankees only had this $$$ back:

Sterling Hitchcock
    Kyle Farnsworth
    Octavio Dotel
    Roger Clemens (2007)
    Kei Igawa
    Kenny Rogers
    Kevin Brown
    Jason Giambi ( one good year)
    Jose Contreras
    Jaret Wright
    Steve Karsay
    Dave Collins
    Ray Smalley
    Hedeki Irabu
    Rondell White
    Carl Pavano
    Jat Buhner
    Jeff Weaver
    Drew Henson
    Tony Womack

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Sorry, Derek, but you can't go home again.

Have a great retirement somewhere else.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]retirement league won 2 of the last 3 WS? no? Phillies/Giants...retirement league? Really?
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Yeah, really. I'm going by hundreds and hundreds of inter-league games over the past decade+...involving all teams.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : hey mr pikester, i'm only reporting the most recent BLUNDER by MR BLUNDER; not his whole history of BLUNDERS. please follow along if you can.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

It is you who has trouble in your reading comprehension. The above list refers to blunders by the Yankee FO - not Theo. How could you miss that? You obviously have little knowledge and only one talking point in your pea-brain. Much like a parrot / Bosox1941.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

like i said, for a retirement league, winning 2 out of 3 WS titles certainly questions greatly your theory.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

If we are going to bring back a Sox alumnus I'd take Charles Bronson Arroyo.  He's never been a star but he's pitched solidly for Cincy for the past 5 years ... though he is stinking it up a bit so far this year he is working towards 7th straight 200+ inning year.  If he hadn't been traded, maybe there wouldn't have been a Lackey signing ... just saying.  Where's WMP these days?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

[QUOTE]Lowe has averaged appx. 14 wins a year since leaving Boston - for Lackey money. That's expected. Problem is, he's doing it in the retirement league. Facing a pitcher 3 times a game and no DH, his ERA since 2009 is not good. He's only won 6 games in 22 starts this year, for a team that's 59-44. He's 38. He's a sinker ball pitcher that would further expose the right side of the RedSox infield. I'll pass.

Never been on the DL though and has been through the wars as it were.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Lowe's postseason importance is great. His work in the '03, '04 Playoffs were huge. He can relieve in a pinch and start. I'd take him over Lackey today, yesterday, 5 days ago, 5 years ago, and now.