Re: Derek Lowe
posted at 8/13/2012 11:30 PM EDT
First of all our bullpen WAS A STRENGTH...it's been overused and this is what has transpired
1. Atchison's arm fell off
2. Padilla's arm fell off
3. Albers inexplicably traded
4. Aceves shaky often
5. Melancon terrible in 2 stints as a Sox
Derek Lowe wanted to come back, the Sox needed some feel good veteran return to the Fens story and this was it. If anything it would have been nostalgic. Instead he'll likely throw great for NYY the rest of the way. He was needed, he wanted to come back, and as usual Ben sat on his hands.
1. Lowe was not going to be our savior, nor will he save NY.
2. Our bullpen had a greater percentage of innings pitched last year vs this year. (35.5% to 34.1%)
3. Atchison had just 46 IP this year. He had 60 in 2010 and his arm stayed on.
4. Padilla had just 39 IP before his arm fell off. He had 95 last year.
5. Melancon is our 7th reliever.
6. Bailey is returning, and we need to test him out.
7. Aceves will return to his best role.
8. We got Breslowto replace Albers.
9.Doubront will likely be sent to the pen to limit his innings and one of Cook or Morales will be in the pen.
10. Here's our pen without Atchison, Albers or Padilla.
RP Doubront/Morales/Cook (The one not in the rotation)
(We may see Bard. We may see Dice-K before the season ends. There's also Prior, Carpenter, Wilson...)