Derek Lowe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Derek Lowe

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe:
    So it's throwing in the towell based on one good performance by Lowe as opposed to his terrible year with Cleveland.  Once again the thread topic was Lowe's performance last night. It you want to bash Cherrington or the FO then start another thread (s) with that mission. One topic at a time.
    Posted by Clamshack1

A lame imitation of pike...now that is some pitiful trolling.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : sorry to see people turn on you DGHouse for simply stating the obvious...the board seems to get more reactionary each day...ben has done nothing...and when the Yanks make a smart move like ichiro/Lowe to plug holes, we get crickets or accusations of disloyalty...you are 100% - Ben has done NOTHING to address the starting pitching concerns or pitching in general...he is the worst GM in the business...incapable of making a fair trade and spending his time dumpster diving for has-beens...
    Posted by georom4

Thanks. I don't see why being a loyal Sox fan requires people to pretend that Cherington is doing a better job than Cashman. The evidence says otherwise. Both teams have been hard hit by injuries. We have probably been hit harder. But the Yankees have had the depth to survive. We have not. Compare Chavez vs. Punto , Jones vs. Byrd , Ichiro vs. Posednik and Lowe vs. Melancon.  Our starting pitching has , for the most part , been healthy , but has consistently under-achieved. Nothing has been done about it.  The scoreboard tells the story. The " loyal fans " will not criticize the front office , but will instead turn on the fans who do. Meanwhile , this is three years in a row with no playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : You're way overreacting, Burrito. Did you see the numbers of pitchers like Cook and Ohlendorf and John Maine that we picked up before the season?  Did you see the numbers of Marlon Byrd and Brent Lillibridge before we got them?  This stuff happens on an ongoing basis.  Sometimes players improve with their new teams, sometimes not.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Um sorry are we still competing this year? I think my frame of mind best serves this team for 2013 and beyond and that starts with a little white flag for 2012. 

What does DLowe bring to the table? Nothing!  He takes up a spot from a pitcher who might help us later when it counts. Teams that have lost don't bring in temporary vetrans for the sake of a win here or there. They stick with what they have or call someone up... either way they are not contending any longer.

That is my take anyhow though I can see waaaay too many are clinging to Derek Lowe to save the year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As galehouse says, it's not just one move, it's an accumulation of moves and non-moves that the Yankees have clearly beaten us on with their roster vs. our roster this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

BURRITO, I give you credit for one thing, you've decided it's over. Ben won't. And that's why he and his distant friend BV should be canned yesterday. One is clueless, the other is indecisive. I'll let others figure out who is who.

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : Um sorry are we still competing this year? I think my frame of mind best serves this team for 2013 and beyond and that starts with a little white flag for 2012.  What does DLowe bring to the table? Nothing!  He takes up a spot from a pitcher who might help us later when it counts. Teams that have lost don't bring in temporary vetrans for the sake of a win here or there. They stick with what they have or call someone up... either way they are not contending any longer. That is my take anyhow though I can see waaaay too many are clinging to Derek Lowe to save the year.
    Posted by EnchiladaT

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zetterberg80. Show Zetterberg80's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : Thanks. I don't see why being a loyal Sox fan requires people to pretend that Cherington is doing a better job than Cashman. The evidence says otherwise. Both teams have been hard hit by injuries. We have probably been hit harder. But the Yankees have had the depth to survive. We have not. Compare Chavez vs. Punto , Jones vs. Byrd , Ichiro vs. Posednik and Lowe vs. Melancon.  Our starting pitching has , for the most part , been healthy , but has consistently under-achieved. Nothing has been done about it.  The scoreboard tells the story. The " loyal fans " will not criticize the front office , but will instead turn on the fans who do. Meanwhile , this is three years in a row with no playoffs.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Chavez has been very good this year, but he was injured and/or awful from 2008-2011. Was Cashman a genius that he turned out good this year, or did he simply get lucky?

Andruw Jones has a .218 OBP. Is he really anything to be bragging about?

Ichiro's posted a .701 OPS on the Yankees. Has he really helped them out at all?

Derek Lowe's pitching a whopping four great innings on the Yankees and now he is Pedro Martinez circa 1999.

The real reason the Yankees are way ahead of the Sox in the standings is they've allowed about 60 runs few than Boston.

It is not because of all of this great depth they supposedly have.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

As galehouse says, it's not just one move, it's an accumulation of moves and non-moves that the Yankees have clearly beaten us on with their roster vs. our roster this year.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Bob while I agree, I think it speaks more to the mind set of both organizations. The NYY are still in it to win it, the Sox, while not admitting it publicly, have all but written off this season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : We'll see, gale. Don't you think a veteran starter, with a rested arm, coming out of the bullpen for 4 innings, it's too soon to say, either way?
    Posted by J-BAY

What I am saying is that , a veteran starter , with a rested arm coming out of the bullpen was a pretty good idea. Too bad that Cashman thought of it , and Ben did not.  To make it worse , the guy is a Sox 2004 hero , who wanted to come back for a last shot.  Can Lowe continue to pitch well and help the Yankees down the stretch and in the post season ? Only time will tell , but I would not bet against it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Yankees have missed the playoffs once since 1994, and this year they're showing why they keep doing it.  Pineda hasn't throw a pitch for them, Pettitte has been gone since late June, Rivera out for the year, Gardner out for the year, A-Rod missing a lot of games, Sabathia now on the DL for the second time.  But there they are leading the division one more time. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I know we don't agree but for a thread on D-lowe to serve as example of "do nothing" is just plain sad. Pro-active would have been to trade Ortiz in July, move Beckett under any semi-plausible deal, and get ready for 2013.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : I know we don't agree but for a thread on D-lowe to serve as example of "do nothing" is just plain sad. Pro-active would have been to trade Ortiz in July, move Beckett under any semi-plausible deal, and get ready for 2013.
    Posted by EnchiladaT

We had a good shot at at least making the playoffs this year.  Despite playing this bad this long we're still only 5.5 games out of a wild card.

Every year counts, especially when you've got a 175 million payroll.

Even with all the injuries, the Yankees didn't look ahead to 2013, they focussed on this year.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : He has pitched 3 times.  Twice awful against the Angels and Yanks, once excellent vs the Sox. You are already writing him off?  Is that a joke?  If not, can you explain how you already know he is worthless?
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars

No, but the point is that he had a cakewalk of a time in the NL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Andruw Jones 2012         .217 2011         .247 2010         .230
    Posted by Clamshack1

2012 .761 OPS 12 HR 28 RBI 175 AB

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Andruw Jones 2012         .217 2011         .247 2010         .230
    Posted by Clamshack1

Okay , but he does have 12 home runs in a limited role , while providing defense. How is Marlon Byrd doing these days ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : Thanks. I don't see why being a loyal Sox fan requires people to pretend that Cherington is doing a better job than Cashman. The evidence says otherwise. Both teams have been hard hit by injuries. We have probably been hit harder. But the Yankees have had the depth to survive. We have not. Compare Chavez vs. Punto , Jones vs. Byrd , Ichiro vs. Posednik and Lowe vs. Melancon.  Our starting pitching has , for the most part , been healthy , but has consistently under-achieved. Nothing has been done about it.  The scoreboard tells the story. The " loyal fans " will not criticize the front office , but will instead turn on the fans who do. Meanwhile , this is three years in a row with no playoffs.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Cashman has done a good job.  Cashman, IMO, has always done a good job.  He is not without his fair share of mistakes, but he has done a very good job overall.  This year is no different.

It's a little too early to say about Cherington.  His hands were somewhat tied by payroll issues during the offseason.  That said, I give credit to Cashman for Chavez (.9 WAR in 78 games) , Ibanez (.9 WAR in 94 games), and Jones (.9 WAR in 67 games).  All 3 have worked out well for the Yanks.

But, let's not forget about moves that have worked out for us.  Ciriaco (.6 WAR in 30 games), Middlebrooks (2.1 WAR in 75 games), Nava (1.4 WAR in 65 games), Podsednik (.7 WAR in 22 games), Breslow (.4 WAR in 48 innings).

These guys have done just as well (if not better) in the "depth" department as the Yankees guys have.

BTW, Ichiro has contributed 0 WAR in 20 games for the Yanks.

The verdict is still out on Lowe.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : Cashman has done a good job.  Cashman, IMO, has always done a good job.  He is not without his fair share of mistakes, but he has done a very good job overall.  This year is no different. It's a little too early to say about Cherington.  His hands were somewhat tied by payroll issues during the offseason.  That said, I give credit to Cashman for Chavez (.9 WAR in 78 games) , Ibanez (.9 WAR in 94 games), and Jones (.9 WAR in 67 games).  All 3 have worked out well for the Yanks. But, let's not forget about moves that have worked out for us.  Ciriaco (.6 WAR in 30 games), Middlebrooks (2.1 WAR in 75 games), Nava (1.4 WAR in 65 games), Podsednik (.7 WAR in 22 games), Breslow (.4 WAR in 48 innings). These guys have done just as well (if not better) in the "depth" department as the Yankees guys have. BTW, Ichiro has contributed 0 WAR in 20 games for the Yanks. The verdict is still out on Lowe.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi
    psst Kimmi..please don't ask for a list...Tongue out

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : His performance last night was terrific. His performance with Cleveland was far from it. Obviously, Cashman felt that , with the rest that he had , Lowe could do a good job in the bullpen. Could he have done a good job in the Sox' pen ?  Lowe wanted to come back to Boston, but apparently Ben thought that he was not good enough. Evaluating talent is a big part of a G.M.'s job.  But I guess some fans are content to continue to look up at the Yankees in the standings and spin things every which way.  This will be the third straight year that we have not made the playoffs. That is not quite " a small sample size."  I guess it is the media's fault.  Or maybe it is my fault.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Denny, I think the point is it's just one appearance.  On another thread someone claimed that Dempster is "valueless" after 2 bad starts (and one good one).  The Lowe decision is independent of all the other issues you are thinking of and cannot be evaluated yet.

Do you think the signing of Lowe should be considered good right now, or do you think it will take at least another 5-10 over the next few weeks before a proper, if short-term, evaluation can be made?

[edit:  it's this thread someone called Dempster "valueless".]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : Chavez has been very good this year, but he was injured and/or awful from 2008-2011. Was Cashman a genius that he turned out good this year, or did he simply get lucky? Andruw Jones has a .218 OBP. Is he really anything to be bragging about? Ichiro's posted a .701 OPS on the Yankees. Has he really helped them out at all? Derek Lowe's pitching a whopping four great innings on the Yankees and now he is Pedro Martinez circa 1999. The real reason the Yankees are way ahead of the Sox in the standings is they've allowed about 60 runs few than Boston. It is not because of all of this great depth they supposedly have.
    Posted by Zetterberg80

LOL

I love you for that question alone.  ;-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : Cashman has done a good job.  Cashman, IMO, has always done a good job.  He is not without his fair share of mistakes, but he has done a very good job overall.  This year is no different. It's a little too early to say about Cherington.  His hands were somewhat tied by payroll issues during the offseason.  That said, I give credit to Cashman for Chavez (.9 WAR in 78 games) , Ibanez (.9 WAR in 94 games), and Jones (.9 WAR in 67 games).  All 3 have worked out well for the Yanks. But, let's not forget about moves that have worked out for us.  Ciriaco (.6 WAR in 30 games), Middlebrooks (2.1 WAR in 75 games), Nava (1.4 WAR in 65 games), Podsednik (.7 WAR in 22 games), Breslow (.4 WAR in 48 innings). These guys have done just as well (if not better) in the "depth" department as the Yankees guys have. BTW, Ichiro has contributed 0 WAR in 20 games for the Yanks. The verdict is still out on Lowe.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

Kimmi, my problem right now is that the Yankees are 11.5 WAU (Wins Above Us):-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : psst Kimmi..please don't ask for a list ...
    Posted by jete02fan

LOL Jetes.

I've learned not to ask for lists...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : LOL I love you for that question alone.  ;-)
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi
     Hi Kimmi, well not very often, but sometimes it's better to be lucky than good :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : Denny, I think the point is it's just one appearance.  On another thread someone claimed that Dempster is "valueless" after 2 bad starts (and one good one).  The Lowe decision is independent of all the other issues you are thinking of and cannot be evaluated yet. Do you think the signing of Lowe should be considered good right now, or do you think it will take at least another 5-10 over the next few weeks before a proper, if short-term, evaluation can be made?
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars

That's true, but the nice thing about Lowe is the flexibility.  If he has a couple of bad outings maybe they move him to mopup.  If he stays bad they cut him loose.  It's almost a no-lose proposition for them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Manic-Depressive, short-term analysis. small sample size experts, the BDC forum will never change.
    Posted by Calzone65

And you certainly won't change...except for your screen-name of course.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : Chavez has been very good this year, but he was injured and/or awful from 2008-2011. Was Cashman a genius that he turned out good this year, or did he simply get lucky? Andruw Jones has a .218 OBP. Is he really anything to be bragging about? Ichiro's posted a .701 OPS on the Yankees. Has he really helped them out at all? Derek Lowe's pitching a whopping four great innings on the Yankees and now he is Pedro Martinez circa 1999. The real reason the Yankees are way ahead of the Sox in the standings is they've allowed about 60 runs few than Boston. It is not because of all of this great depth they supposedly have.
    Posted by Zetterberg80

Right, but Nick Punto? Why is he still on the team? Has he done anything all season for you to say "WOW".

Sections
Shortcuts