Derek Lowe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

Derek Lowe

Does he get paid by the word?  This is worse than listening to Bobby Valentine when he was on ESPN. I've hit the mute button 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: Derek Lowe

You are absolutely correct!!

Can you imagine how much he talks when he's drinking?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to judy2006's comment:

Does he get paid by the word?  This is worse than listening to Bobby Valentine when he was on ESPN. I've hit the mute button 

Judy, Judy, Judy.  He's doing a decent job considering he is new to this.  They certainly didn't hire him to keep quiet.  It's interesting to hear his perspective as a player familiar with the more recent Red Sox and the new changes to the game. 

I hadn't heard much from him previously other than short interviews, so I feel I'm getting to know him as a person.  Seems like a real decent guy.  I'm glad they hired him for this series.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I like Derek Lowe - very much.  Not as much as Eck, but a lot.

Two things I particularly like about him-

- He's not so full of himself that he makes himself the hero of every story he tells.  In fact it's just the opposite.  He's very self-depreciating, sees the humor in his failings and has a great way of telling the stories.

- He has a lot to say about what goes on in a pitcher's mind during a game, things that other pitchers don't talk about.  During tonight's game he talked about how he felt when a fielder made an error behind him (frustrated) and talked a lot about the mind games between a pitcher and a hitter.

He also revealed a lot about his character when he was talking about splitting up the WS shares after the '04 season.  Even the grounds crew got a full share.  As he said, "Let's face it.  We're all overpaid and this is just a bonus to us.  We've got a chance to change people's lives by giving them a full share. This is a chance for us to think about someone else for a change."

I like him and I hope they find a spot for him, either later in the year or if they do a color-man-by-committee if Jerry doesn't come back next year. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I like Derek Lowe - very much.  Not as much as Eck, but a lot.

Two things I particularly like about him-

- He's not so full of himself that he makes himself the hero of every story he tells.  In fact it's just the opposite.  He's very self-depreciating, sees the humor in his failings and has a great way of telling the stories.

- He has a lot to say about what goes on in a pitcher's mind during a game, things that other pitchers don't talk about.  During tonight's game he talked about how he felt when a fielder made an error behind him (frustrated) and talked a lot about the mind games between a pitcher and a hitter.

He also revealed a lot about his character when he was talking about splitting up the WS shares after the '04 season.  Even the grounds crew got a full share.  As he said, "Let's face it.  We're all overpaid and this is just a bonus to us.  We've got a chance to change people's lives by giving them a full share. This is a chance for us to think about someone else for a change."

I like him and I hope they find a spot for him, either later in the year or if they do a color-man-by-committee if Jerry doesn't come back next year. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I agree with you, S5.  I found his insider's take very interesting and I appeciated his candor.  If they continue to use a rotational color man, he could be their Florida point man. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good comments.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I enjoyed listening to Derek Lowe.   Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Geez,.. the guy has done three games.

I think he's doing a very good job, considering.

He was rough, the first game, but he's improving.

The "Derek Lowe Poster Night" story last night was hysterical!

This is what I love about the internet.

If something isn't perfect, folks lineup to complain...

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I hope Manny gets a chance to work at the booth too.   LOL

Manny: "Where is everybody?!?"

NESN: "Ummm,......Mr. Ramirez, the game is tomorrow."  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Yeah.....at first he kind of drove me nuts but now I have to agree with S5.  He puts a very interesting spin on the game and has talked a lot about the little 'inner workings' of baseball on the field. 

I especially liked the conversation 2 games ago about batters getting beaned and how it doesn't happen in the NL as much....then he went on to say that he was only 'told to bean a batter 4 times in his career'.  I like that he just came out and said it and didn't put some lame PC spin on it that players and coaches don't do that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

hahahaha!  awesome.

as for Lowe...he talks alot (probably because he is nervous) but his stories are great.  he will do better with the flow with some more games under his belt. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

hahahaha!  awesome.

as for Lowe...he talks alot (probably because he is nervous) but his stories are great.  he will do better with the flow with some more games under his belt. 

[/QUOTE]

He's getting the knack of it.  He's getting better all the time at learning what to say and when to say it. At one point last night he asked a question about a player on another team that Orsillo wasn't prepared for and Orsillo stumbled over it a bit.  Lowe immediately apologizied for it - on the air - letting the NESN world know that the gaffe was HIS (Lowe's) fault and not Don's.

This guy is a breath of fresh air in the booth.  Everything he says appears to be honest and candid, not really caring whose ox he gores, even if it's his own!  In addition to that, he has a great ability to tell a story, a quality not everyone has.

I'm going to look forward to his next stint in the booth.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to S5's comment:

LOL...reminds me of Millar talking about his Mo AB's...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I will just simply say "Thanks Derek" for what you did in the 04 playoffs and world series. I know next year the remdog will be back but IMHO it was great to have this guy working with DO. funny stuff about DO finding a little geico on his wall.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Geez,.. the guy has done three games.

I think he's doing a very good job, considering.

He was rough, the first game, but he's improving

The "Derek Lowe Poster Night" story last night was hysterical!

This is what I love about the internet.

If something isn't perfect, folks lineup to complain...

love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

He was rough, the first game, but he's improving.

Definately, 4B. Heard him Monday, but wanted to listen to Dave O'Brien do the game on ESPN, Tuesday. Noticed a marked difference last night. As with pitching, he settled in

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I liked him.  He needs to be more judicious with his words though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

He is terrible - He talks to much and has very little to say about the game we are watching - He's Ok as some of you mentioned about recalling his time as a player...

The problem is not Derek however - it is NESN. Broadcasting is a skill and sending someone to do color for a three hour plus game is cruel and unusual punishment for both the announcer and the fans. Why not let him to color for an inning or two and get him used to doing the commentary? I know some of you guys are trying to be nice but Lowe might be the worst color guy I've heard since Magic Johnson....

As always - 100% correct!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

He is terrible - He talks to much and has very little to say about the game we are watching - He's Ok as some of you mentioned about recalling his time as a player...

The problem is not Derek however - it is NESN. Broadcasting is a skill and sending someone to do color for a three hour plus game is cruel and unusual punishment for both the announcer and the fans. Why not let him to color for an inning or two and get him used to doing the commentary? I know some of you guys are trying to be nice but Lowe might be the worst color guy I've heard since Magic Johnson....

As always - 100% correct!

Not sure if he is the worst, but I also don't care much for him. His monotone voice is soporific. I have to guard against being hypnotized every time I listen to him. I like both Eck and Remy better, though Lowe is much better than Cafardo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well, how many interputions are there during the game

Jenny Bell, special guests, fans of the game, promo ads.........

They miss so many key moments because they aren't watching every pitch and every play.

That's why I need to figure out a way to SYNCH "The Cat" w/ NESN

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I thought he was good although he does ramble on. But his story about hitting a HR was pretty good.

25. This post has been removed.