Despaigne went to Japan.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Despaigne went to Japan.

Alfredo Despaigne got signed by Chibba of the NPB. Is this a way of him making it to MLB? Read where he has to return to Cuba after season. Will he? Got a feeling he is using Japan to get here, plus team can make money, like Tanaka.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Despaigne went to Japan.

I think he would have to be posted. Similar thing happened with Soriano. However if he is on "loan" he could defect a lot easier since he is not in Cuba.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Alfredo Despaigne got signed by Chibba of the NPB. Is this a way of him making it to MLB? Read where he has to return to Cuba after season. Will he? Got a feeling he is using Japan to get here, plus team can make money, like Tanaka.

Despaigne can't hit lefties and isn't a very good OF.  I do however find it pretty funny He was banned for life from the Mexican league for using a fake passport yet major league players get how many shots at taking PED's before anything extreme?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Its a toss up, between Abreu and Despaigne, from Scouts. He's the real deal. Little beast, get Stanton then you got Big Beast.
    Anyway I'm going to keep an eye out for him while he's there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Its a toss up, between Abreu and Despaigne, from Scouts. He's the real deal. Little beast, get Stanton then you got Big Beast.
    Anyway I'm going to keep an eye out for him while he's there.

[/QUOTE]

Literally everything thing ive read from scouts says Abreu is hands down the better player.  Despaigne was actually said to have better raw power but there are so many holes in his swing they doubt he could ever hit mlb pitching

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

You probably didn't see him play in the Olympics. No way its hands down better either. Averages almost identical in Cuba. Most fans their go back and forth between the two. The main reason teams stayed away from Abreu was his lack of Defense at 1st base.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

http://www.si.com/mlb/2013/05/08/next-yoenis-cespedes-jorge-soler-yasiel-puig" rel="nofollow">http://www.si.com/mlb/2013/05/08/next-yoenis-cespedes-jorge-soler-yasiel-puhttp://battingleadoff.com/2014/06/03/awesome-stat-lines-around-world-alfredo-despaigne/ig

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Finished there with a .306 avg. 11 HRS 32 rbi's in 44 games. The leading hitter in HRs and rbi's for the Lotte Marines hit 16 hrs, 61 rbi's  in 126 games. .238 ba

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You probably didn't see him play in the Olympics. No way its hands down better either. Averages almost identical in Cuba. Most fans their go back and forth between the two. The main reason teams stayed away from Abreu was his lack of Defense at 1st base.

And that's why some teams will stay away from Despaigne, he's a Kirby Pucket build, short and stocky and will most likely be regulated to left field in the majors which puts a lot of pressure on his bat.  He has an all or nothing uppercut swing and attacks mistakes.  If he is going to succeed in the majors he will have to make adjustments......that is all but guranteed.   Big difference hitting homeruns vs. Cubans and Japanese as opposed to MLB pitching.

I'm not saying he can't be great, but his #1 tool is his power, which is off the charts.  But power is the most coveted tool in all of baseball right now which makes teams over value it.  That power means nothing if he can't hit MLB pitching.  A small difference in hit tool can be the difference between Mark Reynolds and Giancarlo Stanton....WMB may have the best power in our system but it willl mean nothing if he can't hit MLB pitching.

Ben Badler and Baseball America is the gold standard on international scouting, and everything I've read had Abreu as the better hitter.  Maybe you can decipher better scouting than baseball america from watching the olympics but I can't....so until then I'll take weight in their opinions.  

I like Tomas better too. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

WBC too. I like to see with my eyes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

WBC too. I like to see with my eyes.

I like to trust the experts, and I like to look with my eyes too.  All I said was Abreu was better and better regarded than Despaigne, the later is true the former is most likely to be true.

No eye test in the world can show you how a hitter will hit MLB pitching unless he's hitting MLB pitching so that test is invalid.  What we do know is Abreu looked like one of THEE best offensive players in the league.

For Despaigne to be better.........he would have to be an immediate serious contender for the MVP.  That is a LOT to ask for from a guy who has a lot of swing and miss in his swing in Cuba.....let alone any guy. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

You have your opinions, I have mine. Leave it at that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You have your opinions, I have mine. Leave it at that.

Ok...so your opinion is that a player who hit well in Cuba or Japan is going to be maybe the best player in all of baseball??? Because the only players offensively better than Abreu this year was Trout and maybe McCuthen and Stanton.  A guy who strikes out a lot in Cuba is going to become the next Stanton????

I'm not saying you aren't entiteled to your opinion.....but don't you think that is dreaming just a bit too much???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

FWIW, the recent trend of Cuban players has been to exceed expectations.  The Concern with Despaigne is a hole in his swing, Abreu had similar concerns and laid them all to rest.  

The success rate of Cuban players (at least to some extent) does seem to be an anomoly, and at some point one of these guys is going to be a bust because you just can't predict how someone will adjust or learn with 100% certainty.

Lets just hope the buck doesn't end with Castillo.......in a very small sample size it doesn't appear it will. 

Sections
Shortcuts