Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte

In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : I don't think he's the type of pitcher the Yanks would want anyway and he's not someone I would covet.  Even if that was said in jest, look at the back of his baseball card.....its an even year.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

I would take Beckett in a heartbeat; Lackey also. the rest of the Sox staff, not so much. I like Clay, but I don't see this kid ever reaching 200 innings. But I wish him no harm as he sems like a hell of a pitcher when right.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : I would take Beckett in a heartbeat; Lackey also. the rest of the Sox staff, not so much. I like Clay, but I don't see this kid ever reaching 200 innings. But I wish him no harm as he sems like a hell of a pitcher when right.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Buchholz is really fragile but when he is healthy he pitches well.  You would want Lackey??????? May I ask why????

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : It is highly unlikely for him at age 39 to pitch effectively I agree but he has been throwin all along including  BP in camp so maybe thay saw something that would spell doom in terms of their staff. how's that work ? Jessey, Beni is a "Leadoff Hitter" and refuses to bat in the 2 Hole. He needs to be the thread author, it is just part of his nature.         LOL                     
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]
    Well....it clearly would mean that as I wrote, that Pettitte would have retired, then resigned at 39 years old, and has become the Yankees #4 or #5 starter beating out Pineda, Hughes or Garcia. My definition of "Doom" is that the Yankees were essentially done and extremely happy with their Starting Rotation after the Pineda deal. Then Pineda's velocity goes down raising all kinds of questions, Hughes remains a question mark and then Garcia gets injured, then they go out and resign Pettitte. That is Doom IMO vs. where they were the day they signed Pineda. Not that it matter to you, however Eric Karabell in his Fantasy report today which covered players he definately would not draft, Pineda is #1 on the list. Why? By signing with the Yankees he goes from one of the most hitter non-friendly ball parks to one of the most hitter friendly ball parks with emphasis on right field being almost a little league dimension, he faltered the second half last year and as I mentioned his velocity is down right now during ST.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : Buchholz is really fragile but when he is healthy he pitches well.  You would want Lackey??????? May I ask why????

Why do you say he is really fragile?  Last year was the first time in his career he has sustained any kind of serious injury.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte :   Why do you say he is really fragile?  Last year was the first time in his career he has sustained any kind of serious injury.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Lets see him throw 200 innings.  He's not a horse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : Lets see him throw 200 innings.  He's not a horse.

OK.  But, I think its too early to make any such determinations.  Of course, the back injury makes everything questionable with Clay.  But, in his first full season of major league starting, he logged 175 innings, and only that few because Farrell had his inning limit locked down.  Then he was injured last year.  Not as a product of wearing down, but an early season back problem.  Yes, this could recur, as back issues often do.  But, prior to 2010, he had not had even close to a full season in the majors (though he also had no significant injuries over the previous 3 years), so it is just speculation to say he's not a horse.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : OK.  But, I think its too early to make any such determinations.  Of course, the back injury makes everything questionable with Clay.  But, in his first full season of major league starting, he logged 175 innings, and only that few because Farrell had his inning limit locked down.  Then he was injured last year.  Not as a product of wearing down, but an early season back problem.  Yes, this could recur, as back issues often do.  But, prior to 2010, he had not had even close to a full season in the majors (though he also had no significant injuries over the previous 3 years), so it is just speculation to say he's not a horse.  
    I still think he's a nice pitcher.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : I still think he's a nice pitcher.

In any case, we need him to come back strong and be the horse you don't think he is this year.  No doubt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte :  That's out of context zac. just checked the posting rules for BDC and didn't see anything in there about taking things out of context ;-) but like I said my comment was more about andy not playing 4 the money
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

We'll have to check with the "posting police" for an official rulingTongue out

Not sure why he's playing...I'm guessing there's more to it than just the love of the game. Think they miss the comradery with the teammates, more than anything. It becomes a way of life and a hard one to leave behind.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Is thia an April fools day story?

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : In any case, we need him to come back strong and be the horse you don't think he is this year.  No doubt.

We'll see.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Of Modern Day MLB Starting Pitchers that have had any modicum of success at 39 years "young" or older, right now I can only think of Jamie Moyer, Tim Wakefield........, I just can't come up with any more. There has to be some, right?

If Moyer and Wakefield are the only two, is that what the Yankees want and/or need, a Moyer or Wakefield?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Great news great to have Andy back.

A year off to rest the elbow. . I seem to remember John Smoltz pitching pretty decent into his 40s

Another lefty in the rotation and a guy who definitely knows how to pitch and how to win.

It's all good

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte:
    [QUOTE]Guys, I've been telling you the Yankees are worried about their deteriorating staff and here is the proof.  The bribe 40 something Andy Pettite out of retirement.  Desperation is in the air my friends.  Can David Wells and David Cone be far behind?
    Posted by Smileys_Back[/QUOTE]

Help me out with this.

Andy Pettitte a big game pitcher over the course of his career and a southpaw to boot asks the Yankees if could come out of retirement and sign with them.

How does this somehow appear to be a desperate move?

I'd guess it would be a pretty stupid move to deny him.

The NY fans love AP.

I'm sure the Sox and a few other teams would love to have this situation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

We have a young Pitching staff and what guy is better equipped to mentor them all.

Is anyone a better competitor ?

All positives.

You want to be the best. Learn from the best.
    Welcome back AP!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]We have a young Pitching staff and what guy is better equipped to mentor them all. Is anyone a better competitor ? All positives. You want to be the best. Learn from the best. Welcome back AP!
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

Smiley is so concerned he is making delirious posts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Of Modern Day MLB Starting Pitchers that have had any modicum of success at 39 years "young" or older, right now I can only think of Jamie Moyer, Tim Wakefield........, I just can't come up with any more. There has to be some, right? If Moyer and Wakefield are the only two, is that what the Yankees want and/or need, a Moyer or Wakefield?
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

There is no judging this move until we see what he can do against live bats. It is not a guaranteed contract, so there is no harm and cost is minor. But if healthy, once Andy has his legs back, there is zero comparrison between Moyer/Wake & Andy. Andy would have been a borderline HoF pitcher if he hadn't used HGH to heal quicker from that injury.

That being said - only time will tell.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : Smiley is so concerned he is making delirious posts.

This isn't Whity Ford coming out of retirement maybe he's confused.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Why doesn't a metroplolitan areaa ( NY SMSA) that is ten times that of the Boston SMSA have a baseball forum that is enticing enough for a rabid NYY fan to spend his existence on? Why do this Forum's Yanke fans and closet Yankee fans spend their entire day coming here to trash-talk Red Sox fans who belong here? Are the Yankee sites really that bad? What exactly are the supressed motivations and quirks of the Yankee gym rats  / the Yankee trolls? Why do we put up with those who come here to annoy and pretend?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Why doesn't a metroplolitan areaa ( NY SMSA) that is ten times that of the Boston SMSA have a baseball forum that is enticing enough for a rabid NYY fan to spend his existence on? Why do this Forum's Yanke fans and closet Yankee fans spend their entire day coming here to trash-talk Red Sox fans who belong here? Are the Yankee sites really that bad? What exactly are the supressed motivations and quirks of the Yankee gym rats  / the Yankee trolls? Why do we put up with those who come here to annoy and pretend?
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

Why does someone ask the same question over and over again?  Isn't it said that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte:
    [QUOTE]Guys, I've been telling you the Yankees are worried about their deteriorating staff and here is the proof.  The bribe 40 something Andy Pettite out of retirement.  Desperation is in the air my friends.  Can David Wells and David Cone be far behind?
    Posted by Smileys_Back[/QUOTE]

They won't come. Don Larson available......