Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte

In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte:
    Why doesn't a metroplolitan areaa ( NY SMSA) that is ten times that of the Boston SMSA have a baseball forum that is enticing enough for a rabid NYY fan to spend his existence on? Why do this Forum's Yanke fans and closet Yankee fans spend their entire day coming here to trash-talk Red Sox fans who belong here? Are the Yankee sites really that bad? What exactly are the supressed motivations and quirks of the Yankee gym rats  / the Yankee trolls? Why do we put up with those who come here to annoy and pretend?
    Posted by lowelll

I have to say (are you ready?) that I'm actually with you on this one pike, to a certain degree anyway.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : Why does someone ask the same question over and over again?  Isn't it said that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity?
    Posted by Camelwalk

.....while I'm also in agreement with THIS...as far as it concerns pike....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte:
    Guys, I've been telling you the Yankees are worried about their deteriorating staff and here is the proof.  The bribe 40 something Andy Pettite out of retirement.  Desperation is in the air my friends.  Can David Wells and David Cone be far behind?
    Posted by Smileys_Back

If Andy wanted to he would been in the rotation last season and probably done as well or better than Colon or Garcia.  Now hes been out of baseball for a year so it might be a bit challenging.

If he succeeds give the guy credit! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lardin. Show lardin's posts

Call Petite what it is, an insurance policy.  He wont be ready till June.  If the Yankees need him and hes pitching well, can you think of a better alternative that will cost you 2.5 million dollars and zero prospects?  If Petite doesnt get it back or he stinks, or the Yankees dont need him, He'll retire and it wont cost the Yankees anything.  This is a great move, zero risk with possibly a huge reward.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I'm not sure why they need to bring back a guy in his 40's.  If they are confident in their line-up why even look at him?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : LOL, Haha, yea, so many starters now that Petite might have the 12 days rest he will need back in the AL East, Hes good, but no Roger Clemens...
    Posted by DeweyCBoston

Huh? How incoherent can we be? A rebuttal should have teeth in it. It seems like you're responding for responding sake.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Why doesn't a metroplolitan areaa ( NY SMSA) that is ten times that of the Boston SMSA have a baseball forum that is enticing enough for a rabid NYY fan to spend his existence on? Why do this Forum's Yanke fans and closet Yankee fans spend their entire day coming here to trash-talk Red Sox fans who belong here? Are the Yankee sites really that bad? What exactly are the supressed motivations and quirks of the Yankee gym rats  / the Yankee trolls? Why do we put up with those who come here to annoy and pretend?
    Posted by lowelll

Perhaps this would be true if the OP was a Yankee fan making fun of the RS situation; as a result, you're off-base for a change.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : Why does someone ask the same question over and over again?  Isn't it said that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity?
    Posted by Camelwalk

He wakes up every morning with "I got you babe" blaring on his alarm clock.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WC5842. Show WC5842's posts

From the files of @#$%!, the Yankees did it to us again.  3rd place might be out of range Red Sox fan, get ready for that epic battle with the O's of Baltimore to see who gets to be the Celler Dweller.  162 Games of Absolute Pain.  Favorite Memory of the last 9 months....1. Watching the Red Sox, night after night, day after day, collapse...then going straight to the chat rooms and reading the misery.  Getting up at 6am just to watch the D & C show on NESN, just to hear the misery.  2.  Watching the Giants win the Super Bowl, in the final minute, watching the agony of Patriots fan as they realize "it happened again".  Warms my cold heart. lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Does anyone remember how to take things with a grain of salt anymore? After all this time, Beni can still raise temperatures. Too funny!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

I just had this discussion with the Blue Jay fans, who are becoming more obnoxious than usual with their spring training record.

But I don't see this as being desperate. If Beckett gets hurt and the Red Sox sign Oswalt, would we call that a desperation move? 

He was 11-3 his last year in the league. He's not a power pitcher. If he can pitch, mix his pitches, locate, etc, he should be fine. The year off is the variable, you don't know how he'll bounce back from it, but this isn't picking up some scrub just to have someone to run out there.

Given the money, I assume Pettitte had the itch to return, the Yankees needed pitching depth and it was a mutual decision to come back. If they were desperately trying to get him to come out of retirement he'd be making more than $2.5 million a year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I am really surprised by this move seeing as where Tim Wakefield is available.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : ]I'm not sure why they need to bring back a guy in his 40's. why not just call it depth 67 I see no harm it's not like they are counting on  him If they are confident in their line-up why even look at him? the convertsation started B4 the yanks got pineda & kuroda and ended today
    Posted by pinstripezac

I guess time will tell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : Perhaps this would be true if the OP was a Yankee fan making fun of the RS situation; as a result, you're off-base for a change.
    Posted by nhsteven

Actually, Beni has a little fun with the Yankees, which is normal on a rival team's board contrary to some opinions here. He doesn't go after the Yankee fans. Babe, Mikey, and Zac go after Sox fans posting on their own team board, along with Sox players, FO and staff. I doubt any of the Sox fans here go after the Yankees or their fans on Yankee boards. Therein lies the difference.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Thirty-nine might be the golden age for veteran pitchers...
                W  L     ERA     GS
    Clemens 13  6    4.35    29
    Musina   20  9    3.37    34
    Schilling 15  7   3.97     31
    Johnson  6  8    4.26     18
    D Wells   19  7   3.75    31

Randy Johnson recovered from age 39 blues and went 73-52 after that injury filled season. Smart signing by the Yanks.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Guys, I've been telling you the Yankees are worried about their deteriorating staff and here is the proof.  The bribe 40 something Andy Pettite out of retirement.  Desperation is in the air my friends.  Can David Wells and David Cone be far behind?
    Posted by Smileys_Back
    I like the move. Andy is a class act and if he can still contribute, why not. It's a win win. If he makes the 40 man roster it costs a mere 2.5M. If not he walks with meal money. If nothing else it's a feel good story for yankee fans. I wish him success.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : Actually, Beni has a little fun with the Yankees, which is normal on a rival team's board contrary to some opinions here. He doesn't go after the Yankee fans. Babe, Mikey, and Zac go after Sox fans posting on their own team board, along with Sox players, FO and staff. I doubt any of the Sox fans here go after the Yankees or their fans on Yankee boards. Therein lies the difference.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

I wonder if there are any Sox fans at all on the YES Forum, oh wait there are.  It's the internet not a private country club Pike.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I have always respected Pettitte.  But I'd be lying if I said I wished him success in his comeback.  Wishing him mediocrity is about as good as I can do.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jfan2. Show jfan2's posts

Posted by Smileys_Back

Yeah 2.5 million dollars real desparate.  Of course signing Aaron Cook isn't desperate.  Your team is on the verge of a nuclear meltdown and I can't wait to see it ths season.  The Yanks will be first followed by the Rays then the Jays.  The Sox will be fourth.  Welcome back to the 80's suckers!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I have always respected Pettitte.  But I'd be lying if I said I wished him success in his comeback.  Wishing him mediocrity is about as good as I can do.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

LOL Bob.   I have always liked Pettitte  Why, I don't know.

But no, I don't wish him success in his comeback.  I don't wish success upon any Yankee player.

Maybe Varitek will come out of retirement next year.   ;-) 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : Actually, Beni has a little fun with the Yankees, which is normal on a rival team's board contrary to some opinions here. He doesn't go after the Yankee fans. Babe, Mikey, and Zac go after Sox fans posting on their own team board, along with Sox players, FO and staff. I doubt any of the Sox fans here go after the Yankees or their fans on Yankee boards. Therein lies the difference.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

You have a point; however, regardless Pike's premise is still false.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

“I don’t think he’s coming back to where he was, call it a hunch," said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine to reporters (including Scott Lauber of The Boston Herald).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

“I don’t think he’s coming back to where he was, call it a hunch,"  said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine to reporters (including  Scott Lauber of The Boston Herald ).
    Posted by bald-predictions

I love it. Can't wait for AP to see it.

Sections
Shortcuts