Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte

I bet the red flops wished they had an "old and washed up" Andy Pettitte last September.... I think that his diet doesn't include fried chicken and Bud light..... just sayin'

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte:
    [QUOTE]I bet the red flops wished they had an "old and washed up" Andy Pettitte last September.... I think that his diet doesn't include fried chicken and Bud light..... just sayin'
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]
    It may, I hear HGH makes you burn off the beer and chicken quicker.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : It may, I hear HGH makes you burn off the beer and chicken quicker.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

Milk shakes or female fertility drugs seems to do the trick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Call Petite what it is, an insurance policy.  He wont be ready till June.  If the Yankees need him and hes pitching well, can you think of a better alternative that will cost you 2.5 million dollars and zero prospects?  If Petite doesnt get it back or he stinks, or the Yankees dont need him, He'll retire and it wont cost the Yankees anything.  This is a great move, zero risk with possibly a huge reward.
    Posted by lardin[/QUOTE]

yes, this sounds EXACTLY like the John Smoltz, Brad Penney, and Wakefield geriatric deals that the red sox reaped HUGE REWARDS from...lolololol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : yes, this sounds EXACTLY like the John Smoltz, Brad Penney, and Wakefield geriatric deals that the red sox reaped HUGE REWARDS from...lolololol
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

The big difference is AP is a Yankee not an import.

This is why the vets come back every spring, this is why there is an old timers game in the Bronx every summer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan68. Show BostonFan68's posts

[QUOTE]He's 39, and if it works, that would give them a surplus of pitchers; something you wish your team had.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I will agree with that. Yanks have a lot of arms out there. Somewhere in that surplus will be a 4-5 man rotation. Add Pettitte to mix of possibilities as starter OR reliever and you have everything to gain. See how it goes. Good decision by the Yankees in my opinion. However, I hope it doesn't work out, Lol 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I look forward to discovering the experimental medical procedure Pettitte has undergone while outside the watchful eye of Bud Selig.  We should hear about it in June, when he's throwing 104MPH.  Of course, it will come as a shock to the upstanding Yankees organization.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]I look forward to discovering the experimental medical procedure Pettitte has undergone while outside the watchful eye of Bud Selig.  We should hear about it in June, when he's throwing 104MPH.  Of course, it will come as a shock to the upstanding Yankees organization.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Well maybe they could get George Mitchell involved to bring it up like the last time him ignoring the fact that Papi and Manny were both juicing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]I look forward to discovering the experimental medical procedure Pettitte has undergone while outside the watchful eye of Bud Selig.  We should hear about it in June, when he's throwing 104MPH.  Of course, it will come as a shock to the upstanding Yankees organization.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Oh I forgot Papi didn't know what was in the shake, like Barry didn't know what was in the creame. Like Bill Clinton didn't have sex with that girl.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

There is an expression about people who live in glass houses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to "Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte": [QUOTE]There is an expression about people who live in glass houses. Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE] Get dressed in the basement?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Can't hang pictures?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Didn't you claim you were an intelligent poster?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Pettitte at this point in his career is like Sinatra at the end of his. You know, the part where he couldn't remember the words during a song. This wont end well for the Yankees, but will help the Red Sox out immensely.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

In response to "Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte": [QUOTE]“I don’t think he’s coming back to where he was, call it a hunch,"  said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine to reporters (including  Scott Lauber of The Boston Herald ). Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE] For Valentine, call it a hope. Perhaps, even, a prayer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lardin. Show lardin's posts

[QUOTE]Pettitte at this point in his career is like Sinatra at the end of his. You know, the part where he couldn't remember the words during a song. This wont end well for the Yankees, but will help the Red Sox out immensely.
    Posted by xxxcrwn[/QUOTE]
    How so?  Its not like the Yankees are counting on Andy for 200 innings with an ERA below 3.  If they need him and at this point hes number 7 seven on the depth chart he would be asked to deliver league average pitching.  If hes asked to more than that, the Yankees have bigger problems.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : Isn't it a minor league contract?  Not much to lose if if it doesn't work out.  The guy is in great shape and did not have a bad season before retirement.  I am all for Yankee bashing, but pick and choose carefully what you post.  This thread makes the sox fans look desperate.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Where was your voice of reason during the winter when many Red Sox fans went ballistic over the Red Sox FO signing several pitchers to the same minor league contracts? Were you occupied with your bash Papi drivel / routine?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I would rather have a 39 yearold Pettitte in the No. 5 spot of the rotation than whatever the Red Sox are going to go with to open the year.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte by silly betty “As good of a bullpen as I’ve caught all spring from anyone,” Russell Martin said. “I don’t know what the velocity was and what his arm strength feels, but as far as executing pitches, it was pretty impressive.” Joe Girardi didn’t even watch the bullpen, but Mike Harkey stood in the box for the last few pitches so that Pettitte could work on a few sequences. Pettitte stopped briefly in the clubhouse after he pitched only to say that it went well and he felt good. He said his adrenalin picked up after a couple of pitches because that’s when Martin got behind hte plate. “I’d never caught him before so I had no knowledge of him,” Martin said. “I had no base of what I’m used to seeing from him. I was just going in there like a 2-year-old kid not really knowing what’s going to happen. … He looked great. He threw all his pitches and he just kept executing pitch after pitch after pitch. I think it’s just a matter of him getting his pitch count up right now. It’s just one bullpen, but it was a really good one.”
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]That's a good sign Zac. Not at all surprised. What surprised me is he didn't pitch last year when they really needed him.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte : Where was your voice of reason during the winter when many Red Sox fans went ballistic over the Red Sox FO signing several pitchers to the same minor league contracts? Were you occupied with your bash Papi drivel / routine?
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

pike, let me help you out with this since I know you don't watch baseball.

There's a slight difference between Pettitte and padilla and cook. If you don't know the difference then you might as well pack it in right now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Desperate Yankees Sign Pettitte:
    [QUOTE]Guys, I've been telling you the Yankees are worried about their deteriorating staff and here is the proof.  The bribe 40 something Andy Pettite out of retirement.  Desperation is in the air my friends.  Can David Wells and David Cone be far behind?
    Posted by Smileys_Back[/QUOTE]
    Don't believe he was bribed. Andy approached the organization about his chances of pitching this year. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]greetings HH  That's a good sign Zac. Not at all surprised. What surprised me is he didn't pitch last year when they really needed him. Posted by Hingham Hammer you mean   What surprised me is he didn't pitch last year when it appeared  they really needed him. I hear you HH nothing complicated IMO like so many others he missed it unlike so many others he walked away after a very good yr my concern for him / old guys in general  isn't so much about him  getting outs more of a question can he protect himself from those hard shots up the middle I know the old  sayings  about ''never enough pitching'' '' these things tend to work out'' ' but yeah I'm a tad concern about the amount of starters right now and I'm almost hoping for an injury.............almost if I had to bet , I'd say nova to the minors and that's a waste besides not being fair to the kid then again I'd hate to see them trade any of them including garcia
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

"when it appeared they needed him"

You're right. My bad. Both Garcia and Colon were pleasant surprises.

"Nova to the minors"

Not a good idea imo. I see him as the #2 on the staff. No lower than #3.