Desperate Yankees Trolling the Retired

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley--beni--2817. Show smiley--beni--2817's posts

Re: Desperate Yankees Trolling the Retired

Jeter agrees with Smiley that the Yankees should contact Mike Schmidt:

"Derek Jeter went through his usual postgame interview routine — said he feels fine, ankle’s not an issue, thinks he’ll be ready for Opening Day — then he was asked, jokingly, whether he’s called Chipper Jones to try to woo him out of retirement.

“Y’all just come up with all kinds of stuff,” Jeter said.

He honestly thought the notion of Jones to the Yankees was a media-created joke. Told it was actually Brian Cashman who floated the idea, Jeter started laughing.

“Call Mike Schmidt, too,” he said. “Call everybody. … I think Chipper is at home right now. Unless we have a golf team, I don’t think there’s a reason to call him up.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Not from what I've seen; and as far as I'm involved; incorrect, perhaps to the point of lame rebuttal. Babe claims I'm a RS fan due to the way I post, and I've had arguments with other NYY posters. 

However, you're entitled to your contrived & mis-informed opinions, of course.

LOL

Babe is an idiot.

I don't think arguing with him really counts!

But, hey, just keep complaining about the state of the board in one thread and adding to the mess, in another...

The prospect of the Yankees missing the playoffs this year have made you cranky.

Wrong again (except we agree on Babe).  And sticking to the subject and making stuff up does not seem to be among your strong points. Who knew?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Give Cashman some credit, at least he's thinking outside the box. No one looking to trade a 1b or 3b this time of the year, basically leaves players who don't have a place in other teams organizations. The Ben Francisco's of the world are not going to get Yanks where they want to be. If Chipper came out of retirement [we know he can still hit - field different story] DH'd for a couple of mos. and gave Yanks a quality bat in middle of their lineup until Granderdson or Tex return, what would be wrong w/ that? Even though Chipper said "Thanks, but no Thanks" at least Cash is making every attempt to make his team better. With RS luck if Chipper or D.Lee said yes they'd probably hit .310 w/ 6 hrs 21 rbi's for the mos of april.

thumbs up gary

Asked if his interest in Chipper/Lee showed his desperation, Cashman replied, œI'™d rather say it shows how creative we would like to be.
    Mark Feinsand 37m Beat Writer / Columnist

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

They acquired Ben Francisco today

what a shame they let swisher go

1B / corner OF switch hitter w/a little pop

is exactly what they need

GM Zac,

"they let swisher go"

That was my first reaction.

Yanks will miss Martin as well as last years bench.

Lot of pressure on the SR.

Swisher age 32 got 4 years and 56 mil from the Indians.

Never would have gotten that contract from the Yankees because he isn't worth it.

Have a great time playing for Chief Wahoo Nick.

I for one will not miss him hotdogging out in rf missing the cut-off man with his throws I much prefer Ichiro over Swisher's blinding speed.

Or his post season .167 average where he faces good pitching and his bat goes to sleep.

When he doesn't get his pitch to pull.

"post season .167 average"

There were so many yankees in that boat not sure who your referring to.

FYI, George would have found the money to keep him and others.

Coupon Clipping Hal.......not so much.

Yeah and why Swisher was the first to go.

George would pay for talent.

He would not re-up someone who he felt was not contributing their share.

George would have lit up Swisher for his absence in the play-offs too.

Swisher possibly could have stayed if he would have taken what he was worth and for less years.

Swisher said he was in love with NY but it's always about the money despite what they all say.

"yeah and why Swisher was the first to go"

Swisher was the first to go because unlike other yankee players who s-ucked in last years postseason he was no longer under contract.

I suppose you believe Soriano and Martin weren't worth keeping as well.

At some point the light bulb should go off and realize that these players were simple to expensive for Hal's declining budget.

Come on Pop's. Look at the list of players who left and compare it to the players that were brought in.

Yanks had a good bench last year and that saved their bacon when aging players needed a blow. You can't be happy with this years reserves.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Kevin Millar         @KMillar15

Yankees just called and wanted me to come out of retirement I said no because I couldn't wear #15

3:32 PM - 12 Mar 13

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

GM Zac,

"they let swisher go"

Correct, except Swisher is awful in the PS; which I doubt they'll see this yr regardless.

Swisher had a lot of company in recent postseason's.

As for the yanks failing to reach postseason this year it's not out of the question.

With the cast of postional players on hand it's going to be determined by how well they pitch.  You have a good rotation and BP to back it up.

Ray's and Jay's look better going into the season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

GM Zac,

"they let swisher go"

Never would have gotten that contract from the Yankees because he isn't worth it.

I for one will not miss him hotdogging out in rf missing the cut-off man with his throws I much prefer Ichiro over Swisher's blinding speed.

Or his post season .167 average where he faces good pitching and his bat goes to sleep.

Swisher possibly could have stayed if he would have taken what he was worth and for less years.

Swisher said he was in love with NY but it's always about the money despite what they all say.

Swisher was the first to go because unlike other yankee players who s-ucked in last years postseason he was no longer under contract.

At some point the light bulb should go off and realize that these players were simple to expensive for Hal's declining budget.

Come on Pop's. Look at the list of players who left and compare it to the players that were brought in.

Yanks had a good bench last year and that saved their bacon when aging players needed a blow. You can't be happy with this years reserves.

Correct. Unless Dan Johnson turns into Hideki Matsui vintage 5 yrs ago. Unlikely

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

GM Zac,

"they let swisher go"

We've had the Martin discussion before.

Martin took the 2 year deal for 17m from Pittsburgh because he knew the Yankees were only going to offer him a one year deal.

If he had thought different he would have waited for the Yankees offer instead of signing quickly with the Pirates.

And the same with Soriano who took two years at 28 mil from the Nats because he wanted a payday and he wanted to close somewhere.

Soriano knew even if the Yankees offered him a new deal it would be as a set-up man for Mariano. But actually he would have to be highly overpaid for a setup.

Who can blame him for moving on?

The way it is shaping up the deepest part of this Yankee team is the pen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

The Yankees are cheap because they didn't give Soriano a 2 year deal worth 28m to close when they have Mariano?

What other team in the game would do the same?

And cheap because they didn't think Nick Swisher was worth 14m a year for 4 more years.

What am I missing here?

I could make an argument where they should've spent more money and did not, where GS would have but those aren't two good examples.

Next season the Yankees could have three homegrown catchers on the roster Cervelli, Romine and Sanchez and why Martin would not get more than 1 year this year.

Granderson and Tex are both injured no way anyone could have forseen either accident.

The Yankees like every other organization have to suck it up and use what they have in their system or do what are they are doing scanning the waiver wire.

Shopping young talent for a temporary fix is dumb and always comes back to bite.

I can't wait for opening day and baseball to begin.

The Yankees will deal with their problems just like the Sox will deal with the loss of Papi's production from their the line-up.

Like the Dodgers will deal with Greinke's creaky elbow.

This is all part of the game.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

The Yankees are cheap because they didn't give Soriano a 2 year deal worth 28m to close when they have Mariano?

And cheap because they didn't think Nick Swisher was worth 14m a year for 4 more years.

What am I missing here?

I could make an argument where they should've spent more money and did not, where GS would have but those aren't two good examples.

Next season the Yankees could have three homegrown catchers on the roster Cervelli, Romine and Sanchez and why Martin would not get more than 1 year this year.

Granderson and Tex are both injured no way anyone could have forseen either accident.

The Yankees like every other organization have to suck it up and use what they have in their system or do what are they are doing scanning the waiver wire.

Shopping young talent for a temporary fix is dumb and always comes back to bite.

The Yankees will deal with their problems just like the Sox will deal with the loss of Papi's production from their the line-up.

Not when the Boss was alive.

The boss wanted to trade Mariano Rivera for to Seattle for Felix Fermin in 1996 too.

Because Jeter was struggling.

He also traded Mike Lowell in 1999 for Ed Yarnell, Mark Johnson and Todd Noel.

He'd probably be scanning the farm system as I type trying to ship out some decent prospects for a temporary feel good fix.

I prefer the route the Yankees are currently taking in dealing with some of the injuries that they have.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Doug Glanville compares the New York Yankees to ‘Brokeback Mountain’ — huh!?

There are many things you can say about the 2013 New York Yankees. They're injured, beat-up, aging, not the favorites in the AL East anymore, etc. But here's one thing that nobody said about them until now: They're like "Brokeback Mountain."

That's the expert analysis of ESPN's Doug Glanville, who was calling the Yankees/Cardinals game on Monday. His full quote: "They have basically Brokeback Mountain going over here. I mean everybody's on the disabled list or hurt in some form or fashion."

So, the Yankees are gay cowboys? Do they look at each other and say, "I can't quit you?"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Word has it Cashman has been using his weegie board to try to coax past Yankees out of Death to play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Carl Pavano available.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Word has it Cashman has been using his weegie board to try to coax past Yankees out of Death to play.

Dale Berra Steve Howe available.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Hideki Irabu and Kenny Rogers available.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to bald-predictions's comment:

Doug Glanville compares the New York Yankees to ‘Brokeback Mountain’ — huh!?

There are many things you can say about the 2013 New York Yankees. They're injured, beat-up, aging, not the favorites in the AL East anymore, etc. But here's one thing that nobody said about them until now: They're like "Brokeback Mountain."

That's the expert analysis of ESPN's Doug Glanville, who was calling the Yankees/Cardinals game on Monday. His full quote: "They have basically Brokeback Mountain going over here. I mean everybody's on the disabled list or hurt in some form or fashion."

So, the Yankees are gay cowboys? Do they look at each other and say, "I can't quit you?"

Doug who?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Dale Berra Steve Howe available.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Hideki Irabu and Kenny Rogers available.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Just a few suggestions:

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Paul Byrd available.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Paul Byrd available.

Can he play first, third or cf? Don't need pitching.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

What am I missing here?

"the yankees are cheap because they didn't give Soriano a 2 year deal worth 28m......"

What did they give Soriano a few years back when they still had Mo closing?

You make no sense Pop's.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

What am I missing here?

"the yankees are cheap because they didn't give Soriano a 2 year deal worth 28m......"

What did they give Soriano a few years back when they still had Mo closing?

You make no sense Pop's.

I don't know why I respond to your inane ramblings.

You were calling the Yankees cheap when they had Mo closing and Soriano setting up.

The Yankees are paying Mariano Rivera 10m to close for them in 2013.

Why would they ever give Soriano 14m per which he got from the Nats to be Mariano's set-up?

And the Yankees would have had to out bid the Nats to get him meaning Soriano have gotten much more than the 24m he is getting.

What other team in baseball would pay 24mil per year their set-up guy and closer?

Name just one.

Sections
Shortcuts