Detroit handed us a gift.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Detroit handed us a gift.....

....but we could not accept.
    Valetine out-managed Leyland yesterday. If he leaves Verlander in to finish the game, it's 2-0, game over. Leaving lester in to finish the 7th is something Tito never would have done. After giving up the double to Avila (why Ross was playing so shallow in LF is a head scratcher), he would have yanked Lester seeing as he was already over 100 pitches. Sweeney botched the fly ball to right, otherwise, we still had a chance to win it. Running for Agon was the right move, the only thing that wqould have concerned me is if we went to extras, we were out of bench players, that's why carrying 13 pitchers is a bad idea.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Re: Detroit handed us a gift.....

On the bright side the past few years fans have had to wait a month or more to see Lester pitch that kind of game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Valetine out-managed Leyland yesterday.

Valentine chose to pitch to Fielder rather than Young.  Bad decision.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Detroit handed us a gift.....:
    After giving up the double to Avila (why Ross was playing so shallow in LF is a head scratcher), he would have yanked Lester seeing as he was already over 100 pitches. as much as we all frown upon the 100 pitches thing I believe lester gave up the 1st run of the game on pitch 102 not that that has anything to do with your post I just thought it interesting
    Posted by pinstripezac

It's an interesting that Ike is lauding BV's decision to leave Lester in.  His ERA for the inning was 9.00.

Seriously, this is exactly what the haters always complained about Tito.

Okay, I'll agree 100% that this is a guessing game, and BV (& Tito) have as much a shot of being right as of being wrong, but starting a thread to say why it was a great decision to leave Lester in to allow two doubles in the game is not making a good case for BV.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Valentine "out managed" Leyland ???

I'll bet the Tigers fans don't see it this way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I didn't really like the decision to go to Aceves.  That is real tough spot to enter under any circumstance, but first game of the year....

Melancon is going to be relied on a lot this year, I'd like to see him fix his own mess in that situation.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Detroit handed us a gift..... : 2 very good points but considering melans bad spring it would sure be hard to  defend that   from others with a legit different opinion in other words would have been a pretty gusty call even 4 bobby v
    Posted by pinstripezac

True but if Bobby didn't trust him then why not just start the inning with Aceves in the first place?  We all know Aceves can go multiple innings and today is an off day so trying to "steal" an inning with Melancon doesn't really make sense to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

It's hard to fault a guy for going to a closer that hadn't blown a save in over a year.  Verlander will see plenty of complete games, but seeing as there are 161 left to play, and an off day today, I don't think Leyland made the wrong decision.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy stilleatsworms. Show MikeNagy stilleatsworms's posts

In response to "Re: Detroit handed us a gift.....":
    After giving up the double to Avila (why Ross was playing so shallow in LF is a head scratcher), he would have yanked Lester seeing as he was already over 100 pitches. as much as we all frown upon the 100 pitches thing I believe lester gave up the 1st run of the game on pitch 102 not that that has anything to do with your post I just thought it interesting Posted by pinstripezac
    If the umpire had called strike 3 as it should have been.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to "Re: Detroit handed us a gift.....": If the umpire had called strike 3 as it should have been.......
    Posted by MikeNagy stilleatsworms

The 1-2 pitch was clearly a strike, it wasn't even that close on K zone.  The 2-2 pitch could have been a strike, don't think they showed it on K zone.

Oh well, what goes around comes around.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Detroit handed us a gift..... : True but if Bobby didn't trust him then why not just start the inning with Aceves in the first place?  We all know Aceves can go multiple innings and today is an off day so trying to "steal" an inning with Melancon doesn't really make sense to me.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

The truth is, a lot of these decisions are flipping a coin.  Theoretically, on the road, you save your closer until you have a lead to protect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Valetine out-managed Leyland yesterday. Valentine chose to pitch to Fielder rather than Young.  Bad decision.  
    Posted by Joebreidey

It was the right move to bring in Morales to face Fielder, and Mo made a good pitch to Fielder, but Fielder did a good job of putting the ball in play.

I suppose what you wanted was for Valetine to leave Padilla in to pass Fielder then pitch to Young? Back to back free passes are you high?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Detroit handed us a gift..... : It's an interesting that Ike is lauding BV's decision to leave Lester in.  His ERA for the inning was 9.00. Seriously, this is exactly what the haters always complained about Tito. Okay, I'll agree 100% that this is a guessing game, and BV (& Tito) have as much a shot of being right as of being wrong, but starting a thread to say why it was a great decision to leave Lester in to allow two doubles in the game is not making a good case for BV.
    Posted by Joebreidey

The double by Avila should have been a routine fly ball but Ross was postioned too shallow on contact (look at the replay) and he is slow. Lester pitched a great game and saying his ERA was 9.00 for 1 inning of work is really weak man! One earned run for 7 innings of work is a 1.29 ERA BTW.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Detroit handed us a gift..... : The double by Avila should have been a routine fly ball but Ross was postioned too shallow on contact (look at the replay) and he is slow. Lester pitched a great game and saying his ERA was 9.00 for 1 inning of work is really weak man! One earned run for 7 innings of work is a 1.29 ERA BTW.
    Posted by Alibiike

Maybe a play that could be made but certainly nothing routine about it.  I did wonder watching it live where he was positioned.  So Sweeney's triple was also a routine play? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Valentine "out managed" Leyland ??? I'll bet the Tigers fans don't see it this way.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Man, to even tie the game was remarkable considering Veralander on the mound, and that only happened cause Leyland brought in his closer.

We lost that game on two fly ball hits that should have been outs, bottom line.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Detroit handed us a gift..... : Maybe a play that could be made but certainly nothing routine about it.  I did wonder watching it live where he was positioned.  So Sweeney's triple was also a routine play? 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Ok, maybe not routine but Sweeney certainly mis-played it by turning the wrong way. He should have known the ball was coming off a right handed bat and would tail to his left

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Valetine out-managed Leyland yesterday. If he leaves Verlander in to finish the game, it's 2-0, game over. Leaving lester in to finish the 7th is something Tito never would have done

And yet the Sox still lost.

Does this mean that this year, instead of keeping a count of games the team won despite Tito, you're going to keep a count of games the team lost despite Bobby V. out coaching the other manager?

By the way, Pap got the save yesterday.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Valetine out-managed Leyland yesterday. If he leaves Verlander in to finish the game, it's 2-0, game over. Leaving lester in to finish the 7th is something Tito never would have done And yet the Sox still lost. Does this mean that this year, instead of keeping a count of games the team won despite Tito, you're going to keep a count of games the team lost despite Bobby V. out coaching the other manager? By the way, Pap got the save yesterday.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

I think bobby made the right moves, the pitchers and defense just did not execute.
    The offense was pathetic, Verlander or not.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

So that would be a 1 for Bobby V.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Detroit handed us a gift..... : It was the right move to bring in Morales to face Fielder, and Mo made a good pitch to Fielder, but Fielder did a good job of putting the ball in play. I suppose what you wanted was for Valetine to leave Padilla in to pass Fielder then pitch to Young? Back to back free passes are you high?
    Posted by Alibiike

Simple-You have 1st and 3rd with one out laste in the game.

Do you choose to-

A-Pitch to Fielder.
    B-Pitch to Young with bases loaded, but with a force at home.

I really don't think it is that close a decision.  Fielder is a much better hitter against lefties than Young is against righties.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Detroit handed us a gift..... : The double by Avila should have been a routine fly ball but Ross was postioned too shallow on contact (look at the replay) and he is slow. Lester pitched a great game and saying his ERA was 9.00 for 1 inning of work is really weak man! One earned run for 7 innings of work is a 1.29 ERA BTW.
    Posted by Alibiike

Sure he had a great game.  But what is in the past is in the past.

Your statement is that BV made a great move leaving him in for an extra inning.  But the move clearly didn't work out.

I said these are always borderline decisions.  But the postings in here by the Tito-haters is always, that the logic of the move makes no difference.  It is the results that count.  Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it seems logic rather than results is what counts when the move doesn't work out.  At least I am on the side of consistency.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Valetine out-managed Leyland yesterday. If he leaves Verlander in to finish the game, it's 2-0, game over. Leaving lester in to finish the 7th is something Tito never would have done And yet the Sox still lost. Does this mean that this year, instead of keeping a count of games the team won despite Tito, you're going to keep a count of games the team lost despite Bobby V. out coaching the other manager? By the way, Pap got the save yesterday.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

We've changed the counting rules.

If we win, it's because of BV.
    If the move doesn't work, it's still a good move, because BV called it.
    If we lose, it's on the offense, the pitching and the defense.

Sections
Shortcuts