1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Detroit is look for a closer...

Any deal there we could exploit?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Detroit is look for a closer...

gET READY FOR A "blockbuster"  !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Salty and Bailey to the Tigers plus Garnett to the Pistons plus Zdeno Chara to the Red Wings for Verlander    LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

there is no doubt a match between the sox and tigers, sox have 2 closers, now the question is do the sox really want to deal bailey? or is the plan to ride the year out with both guys, let hanrahan leave via free agency and collect the picks for? or is hanrahan their guy going forward? in terms of what we could expect to get back from the tiger, that remains to be seen. Rick porcello's name has been mentioned alot in trade rumors this offseason but at this point is he really much of an upgrade over doubront? (unless we work out a 3 team trade, where the tigers get bailey, sox get porcello, and the 3rd team gets doubront and sends something to the sox. we could try and get prospects from the tigers, but i doubt they would give up any really good ones given what happened with bailey last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

The Tigers have a young hurler who can hit 100 they plan to use to close. I don't know how he is doing so far through ST but i know he is their first option and if he doesnt pan out they could look to trade for a closer.

but that chip has to fall and Bailey has to boost his value a bit before we talk about trading him to Det.

Edit: his name is Bruce Rondon. If he can't close then they will likely look outside of the org for a closer. then we can swoop in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Why Bailey?   Why not Aceves?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to notin's comment:

If I was the GM, the expected return for Aceves would be far lower.

So I guess it depends on the piece I am trying to get back.  Honestly, I dont think that I would move Bailey.  I just feel that his upside and value to this team outweigh his trade value.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

So I guess it depends on the piece I am trying to get back.  Honestly, I dont think that I would move Bailey.  I just feel that his upside and value to this team outweigh his trade value.

his value is probably right around Aceves' until they both get into games and pitch well both have little value.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I doubt Bailey gets all that much back.

Aceves would be smarter for Detroit.  He is more versatile and durable, which works for Detroit as this might be a temporary role...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I just feel that his upside and value to this team outweigh his trade value.

I guess I understnd this thought, but part of me wonders why "upside value" is only worth something to us and not other teams.

A player is worth what he is worth- to us or someone else. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

A players worth varies from team to team...I understand a certain player has a current ceiling for his overall value, but depending on a teams needs and how big that need is could determine a possible greater value. Supply and demand also factors into the equation...

Bailey is our safety net for hanrahan, who hasnt impressed me at all this spring.

Depending on the return, I think Tazawa could fill Bailey's role.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

A players worth varies from team to team...I understand a certain player has a current ceiling for his overall value, but depending on a teams needs and how big that need is could determine a possible greater value. Supply and demand also factors into the equation...

Bailey is our safety net for hanrahan, who hasnt impressed me at all this spring.

Yes, I get that, but so many posters here act like our players are so great and will lead us to the playoffs, but then when one of us says trade them, they say they have little or limited trade value.

Take Ellsbury, for example, I happen to think there is a very good chance he has a year like 2011 this season. I know there is a risk he does not, so that lessens his trade value, but it also lessens his value to us. The point I keep trying to make is this: other teams have a better chance at winning a ring this year. To me, Ellsbury should have more value to them than us, assuming they have a weak OF link, and something they can afford to give up in return. The comp draft pick is the icing on the cake. It allows for the team getting Ellsbury to get compensation after he goes (if he goes). That lessens the blow of trading away a good prospect for Ellsbury. I happen to think Ellsbury has more value to another team, especially an NL team, but that is just opinion, and I am not sure there is a GM and an OF opening big enough to garner a nice prospect in return. 

The window might have closed already, unless there is a ST injury. I saw the Indiand get Bauer for Choo, and it made me feel envious.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that no major moves will happen until maybe July, but we may trade some pen length for a prospect not forced to be on the 40 man roster.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Yes, I get that, but so many posters here act like our players are so great and will lead us to the playoffs, but then when one of us says trade them, they say they have little or limited trade value.

Take Ellsbury, for example, I happen to think there is a very good chance he has a year like 2011 this season. I know there is a risk he does not, so that lessens his trade value, but it also lessens his value to us. The point I keep trying to make is this: other teams have a better chance at winning a ring this year. To me, Ellsbury should have more value to them than us, assuming they have a weak OF link, and something they can afford to give up in return. The comp draft pick is the icing on the cake. It allows for the team getting Ellsbury to get compensation after he goes (if he goes). That lessens the blow of trading away a good prospect for Ellsbury. I happen to think Ellsbury has more value to another team, especially an NL team, but that is just opinion, and I am not sure there is a GM and an OF opening big enough to garner a nice prospect in return. 

The window might have closed already, unless there is a ST injury. I saw the Indiand get Bauer for Choo, and it made me feel envious.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that no major moves will happen until maybe July, but we may trade some pen length for a prospect not forced to be on the 40 man roster.

Hey Moon,

It is the perceived value vs a players actual value. That makes proposing trades on this site so contentious. Each of us have our own opinions and some among us just like the idea of throwing gas on the fire...

In the case of Ellsbury's. His value to the 2013 Red Sox is higher than what he would reap in terms of players we might or could recieve in return, otherwise he'd already be gone. In part it's due to his contract status, his agent, recent injury history and sub standard performance after returning to the lineup last season. It also didn't help that there were many other options available to teams looking for a center fielder this past offseason.

In terms of accessing his value. When you factor in his expected production for the coming season, along with the draft pick compensation. The return if traded would have to be equal to or greater than the player we might draft with said pick = 1 very good prospect and then asigning a value to a full season of play from a ML centerfielder = 1 player...

Which basically is need + player=leverage=good return...the greater the need, the greater the player=the greater the leverage, the greater the return.

In Ellsbury's case it might well be that our need to keep him was greater than the return.

Sections
Shortcuts