DH..What do you think?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

DH..What do you think?

Do you think this is Right way to go? The american league has such a disadvantage in this matter.When the National league plays in american league park.,they get the DH which is a batter who can hit a baseball. When American league goes to a national league park they are stuck with a batter who never picks up a bat and  looks like a T-ball player in their first year. Very boring and what does that do to baseball .? Very stupid and makes this so one sided.Whats the point? The only thing i can come up with is that the American league is so much better that the league wants to even things up? This is the only sport that is not on the same page. What do you think??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

Re: DH..What do you think?

In Response to DH..What do you think?:
    [QUOTE]Do you think this is Right way to go? The american league has such a disadvantage in this matter.When the National league plays in american league park.,they get the DH which is a batter who can hit a baseball. When American league goes to a national league park they are stuck with a batter who never picks up a bat and  looks like a T-ball player in their first year. Very boring and what does that do to baseball .? Very stupid and makes this so one sided.Whats the point? The only thing i can come up with is that the American league is so much better that the league wants to even things up? This is the only sport that is not on the same page. What do you think??
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

I completely disagree and I am not really sure I see the sense in what you are saying.  Although it's true ALpitchers can't hit, NL pitchers are not much better, and NL teams don't usually have a DH type guy (like Ortiz).  I think it's fair and don't see a problem. 

Ini general, I don't liek the DH, and like it when pitchers bat - I don't think it's boring, they bunt  alot, and that's exciting, and it makes managing the team more interesting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

IF YOU THINK BUNTING IS EXCITING

I CAN INVITE YOU TO MY PLACE TO WATCH PAINT DRY

COMPELLING STUFF RIGHT THERE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Having lived 40 years in Boston  much without the DH and  20 in Atlanta   I prefer  no DH.
    The game is faster,  there is more strategy and by far less desire to sit back and wait for the home run.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Re: DH..What do you think?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to DH..What do you think? : I completely disagree and I am not really sure I see the sense in what you are saying.  Although it's true ALpitchers can't hit, NL pitchers are not much better, and NL teams don't usually have a DH type guy (like Ortiz).  I think it's fair and don't see a problem.  Ini general, I don't liek the DH, and like it when pitchers bat - I don't think it's boring, they bunt  alot, and that's exciting, and it makes managing the team more interesting.
    Posted by OhEFFU[/QUOTE]

Yes i see your point. But Dam! American league pitchers can't even bunt. How can you manage that? They look like a deer with  head lights in thier eyes. What is so fair about national league has a hitter to file the roll of DH and American league is stuck with Joe T-Ball? Not talking about Ortiz ,Just a guy who can put the ball in play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DH..What do you think? : Yes i see your point. But Dam! American league pitchers can't even bunt. How can you manage that? They look like a deer with  head lights in thier eyes. What is so fair about national league has a hitter to file the roll of DH and American league is stuck with Joe T-Ball? Not talking about Ortiz ,Just a guy who can put the ball in play.
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]
    STUIPD

WHAT IS THE BIGGER ADVANTAGE

ORITZ OVER 4TH OF

OR PITCHER WHO HITS .150 OVER PITCHER WHO HITS .100

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

When the Sox play the NL they have a 12 million dollar pinch hitter on the bench - a luxury the NL can't afford.  Why teach a pitcher to bunt when at most they will be in 3 games against the NL all year?

That said I think both leagues should play under the same rules all the time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I think that the DH will eventually be used across MLB.  There's virtually no way to remove it from the AL since it would remove higher paying jobs in the eyes of the union.  It may become a bargaining chip for the owners to get something tough such as a hard slotting system in the draft or a worldwide draft, or something else that MLBPA would oppose.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I like things exactly the way they are--DH in one league, none in the other, home team gets to call the shots.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I agree with max and JB.

The DH will never leave the AL because the union won't allow it. It's more likely to be adopted by the NL, the only league at any level that doesn't have a DH.

And I'm perfectly fine with it the way it is. I think it's unique that baseball has the two different leagues that offer something different.

Personally, I'm in favor of the DH. While some pitchers can hit, let's be real -- it's a joke watching most pitchers try to hit. Talking about making a mockery of the game. People rip DH's for being half players, but most, if not all DH's, are probably better fielders than pitchers are at hitting. Ortiz certainly is a better 1B than any pitcher is a hitter.

As for strategy -- this has got to be one of the most overblown, overstated concepts ever put forth, if not THE most overblown and overstated. Folks, the double-switch isn't rocket science. And with bench coaches being in charge of following things like this, it's not like the manager has all this figuring to do by himself in the heat of the moment. Going into the season, managers usually know the scenarios for when they're going to make a double switch and for whom.

Back in the day when pitchers threw a lot of of complete games, it might have been a bit harder for managers in the NL on whether or not to pull a pitcher in a close game. But now, in the age of pitch counts, it's rarely a hard decision. By the time it's the seventh inning and a decision has to be made in a close game, the starter is probably near his pitch limit and he's going to be replaced anway.

And as for the bunt. I'm continually amazed at how many fans love the bunt. (I'm especially amazed when fans rip a manager when it's a close game and there is a runner on 1B with the 3-4-5 hitters up and they want one of them to bunt). There's a guy on 1B. I want to see the next batter single or double in the gap and move the runner to third, not see the next guy bunt him to second and give up an out. Yes, there's a chance for a DP, but it giving up outs remain a low percentage. There is a time for bunts but not as often as some here cry about.

As for the pitcher bunting -- that is some grand strategy? Runner on first base, less than two outs ... gee, I wonder what the pitcher is going to do. Oh wow, he bunted, who would have thunk it?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Regardless, nothing will change anytime soon.     First of all, the Players Association would never agree to it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I think it should be switched. When an AL team visits an NL park they should use the DH. Conversely, when an NL team visits an AL park the pitchers should bat. That would give fans of each league something different to see.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

In Response to DH..What do you think?:
    [QUOTE]Do you think this is Right way to go? The american league has such a disadvantage in this matter.When the National league plays in american league park.,they get the DH which is a batter who can hit a baseball. When American league goes to a national league park they are stuck with a batter who never picks up a bat and  looks like a T-ball player in their first year. Very boring and what does that do to baseball .? Very stupid and makes this so one sided.Whats the point? The only thing i can come up with is that the American league is so much better that the league wants to even things up? This is the only sport that is not on the same page. What do you think??
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

2 leagues with a different rule doesn't bother me.  It makes things more interesting at times. I enjoy seeing NL ball occasionally.  A good team can adapt.  I'm not against putting AGON in right for a few games.  He'll be all right.

And there aren't really a lot of good full-time DH's anymore.  Off the top of my head, I can only name Ortiz, Adam Lind, Michael Young, Billy Butler, but not many more that are real good hitters.  Even the Yankees struggle to fill the DH slot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I think the NL is at a disadvantage when they come to the AL, too. The Sox have a high-priced guy like Ortiz at DH. When the NL teams come to AL parks, they're using their best back-up.

I'd like to see MLB go all or nothing. Either have the DH across the board or abolish it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

The DH takes the strategy out of the game.  And it allows for pitchers to throw at hitters without having to worry about having to step in the batter's box. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I think it's fun to watch pitchers bat -- not in the American League, obviously. 

They should lose the DH and everyone play like they normally would growing up playing baseball. Of course, this would be after Papi retires. :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I think it's fun to watch pitchers bat -- not in the American League, obviously.  They should lose the DH and everyone play like they normally would growing up playing baseball. Of course, this would be after Papi retires. :)
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]
    Of course!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Pitchers having to hit/run (think Wang) is neanderthal unless they are attuned to it. For this reason alone, the N.L. should be forced  to adopt it during inter-league play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

They should lose the DH and everyone play like they normally would growing up playing baseball.

Kim, I understand what you are saying but the fact is the DH is used in college and in the minor leagues.  When 2 NL affiliates play in AA or AAA, then the teams can let the pitchers bat, but if 1 team is an AL affiliate, both teams will use the DH regardless of where the game is played.  In college, many pitchers are great athletes and may be both the pitcher and the DH, but the DH is used.  I believe the Cape Cod League even uses the DH (checked out a box score and the DH was used).  It is even used in High School, but the DH can bat for any position player, not just the pitcher (source: Wikipedia). 

The problem right now is that 15 of the 18 interleague games are played in a row.  And since travel is a concern, sometimes an AL team has 9 games in the NL in a row.  If MLB is serious about their re-alignment proposal of 15 teams in each league, then interleague play will be season long and AL teams won't lose their DH for more than 3 games at a time most likely. 

As for me, I guess I would rather see the DH in both leagues because as some have said, you won't see the union get rid of it.  And since the DH is used in most every level of baseball now, it makes sense to just use it in both leagues. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DH..What do you think? : Of course!
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Especially when you think about the protests. Smile

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]They should lose the DH and everyone play like they normally would growing up playing baseball. Kim, I understand what you are saying but the fact is the DH is used in college and in the minor leagues.  When 2 NL affiliates play in AA or AAA, then the teams can let the pitchers bat, but if 1 team is an AL affiliate, both teams will use the DH regardless of where the game is played.  In college, many pitchers are great athletes and may be both the pitcher and the DH, but the DH is used.  I believe the Cape Cod League even uses the DH (checked out a box score and the DH was used).  It is even used in High School, but the DH can bat for any position player, not just the pitcher (source: Wikipedia).  The problem right now is that 15 of the 18 interleague games are played in a row.  And since travel is a concern, sometimes an AL team has 9 games in the NL in a row.  If MLB is serious about their re-alignment proposal of 15 teams in each league, then interleague play will be season long and AL teams won't lose their DH for more than 3 games at a time most likely.  As for me, I guess I would rather see the DH in both leagues because as some have said, you won't see the union get rid of it.  And since the DH is used in most every level of baseball now, it makes sense to just use it in both leagues. 
    Posted by fizsh[/QUOTE]

I guess I should clarify that I meant growing up playing baseball as children. If the DH was removed, it would be removed in high school, college, etc. as well.

IMO it really just puts a big bat in the order. Shouldn't playing the game be more about the players on the field and their abilities in all aspects of the game as a team?  It probably sounds naive, but it would be more "real" to watch then having a slugger come in (best each team can afford), who really doesn't have to play baseball to be on the team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Kim, I can recall many a slugger that had no business being on the field. They are far more of an asset when isolated to hitting.
    I also think a pitcher does enough in that he controls the game's flow. He's involved in every play. He shouldn't have to hit.

If a hitter can put up the numbers of a big Papi, it compensates for what he does/doesn't do in the field. Is a pitcher a complete player when he hits .100?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Kim , I can recall many a slugger that had no business being on the field. They are far more of an asset when isolated to hitting. I also think a pitcher does enough in that he controls the game's flow. He's involved in every play. He shouldn't have to hit. If a hitter can put up the numbers of a big Papi, it compensates for what he does/doesn't do in the field. Is a pitcher a complete player when he hits .100?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I don't think you understood my post. I realize some sluggers have no business being on the field, that's my point. If you can't play baseball, except to slam some HRs, then, IMO, you shouldn't be playing baseball. It's not about compensation. The game is baseball.

Also, if pitchers were hitting on an everyday basis, they wouldn't have such low batting averages.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

after seeing what happened to CMW and Buchholz, i can't help but cringe when an AL pitcher flares one..and it falls in :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DH..What do you think? : I don't think you understood my post. I realize some sluggers have no business being on the field, that's my point. If you can't play baseball, except to slam some HRs, then, IMO, you shouldn't be playing baseball. It's not about compensation. The game is baseball. Also, if pitchers were hitting on an everyday basis, they wouldn't have such low batting averages.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

We have different interpretations of what constitutes "a complete player".
    I believe the Twins felt Papi wasn't one, which is why we have two rings.

Positions of the field play largely to body type. Short stops have to be agile, so you don't find many who are sluggers. Same can be said for 2nd base and CF.
    DH's are DH's for a reason. They play baseball - they hit. It's the most difficult facet of the game.

I agree with you that pitchers could hit better if they played on a daily basis, but then they wouldn't be pitchers. Their focus is getting hitters out. The N.L. pitchers get 3 AB every 5 games. Their hitting has little impact overall.

If you think DH's aren't legit ballplayers because they don't field, then A.L. pitchers aren't either because they don't hit...