DICE-K makes the METS rotation as he deals with a racial slur from his own coach!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

DICE-K makes the METS rotation as he deals with a racial slur from his own coach!

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10602958/daisuke-matsuzaka-defends-dan-warthen-new-york-mets-slur

diceman cometh again.. at this oint if there's ever a nuke attack, only cockroaches and dice will survive.. the man maketh gloria gaynor blush.. he just survives babyyyy.. pitching lights out this spring after doing the same at the end of last year. wouldnt shock me if he wins 15 this season. unfortunate his own outdated red-state pitching coach decided to channel his inner tea party and use the other c-word..

even after "apologizing", still didnt get y ts wrong to use that word in a workplace esp when ur the leader or boss and its non-mutual in terms of interaction. not quite rilwy cooper but very inappropriate. says a lot about dice he tried to defuse the situation rather than go for the gasoline approach.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: DICE-K makes the METS rotation as he deals with a racial slur from his own coach!

I'm Asian and the word that the coach used in the article does not offend me.  Some people are too sensitive and take things a bit too serious.  But to each his own.

Speaking of the article, Dice-K has been in America since 2007 and he still needs a translator?  I think Ichiro still uses a translator too.  It took me two years to speak good enough English to trash talk with Yankee and Rays fans.   LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Re: DICE-K makes the METS rotation as he deals with a racial slur from his own coach!

another lost in translation moment.  Even the Pope is guilty of this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

What's sad is that even Asians have treated each other terribly based on their 'differences" that stupid white people can't even see. The human race has long made a practice of looking down on one group or another based on many criteria. I'm afraid that hasn't really disappeared and rears it's ugly head every once in a while to the point where one group justifies the slaughter of another. I think it's a good thing to err on the side of being over-sensitive to these things. Perceptions of others based on ignorance is always a dangerous thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

What's sad is that even Asians have treated each other terribly based on their 'differences" that stupid white people can't even see. The human race has long made a practice of looking down on one group or another based on many criteria. I'm afraid that hasn't really disappeared and rears it's ugly head every once in a while to the point where one group justifies the slaughter of another. I think it's a good thing to err on the side of being over-sensitive to these things. Perceptions of others based on ignorance is always a dangerous thing.

Be careful.  You might get sued over "B strong" logo you have there.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm Asian and the word that the coach used in the article does not offend me.  Some people are too sensitive and take things a bit too serious.  But to each his own.

Speaking of the article, Dice-K has been in America since 2007 and he still needs a translator?  I think Ichiro still uses a translator too.  It took me two years to speak good enough English to trash talk with Yankee and Rays fans.   LOL

[/QUOTE]

IC, Dice-K and Ichiro have to be careful about what they say to the media.

There are always reporters and fans ready to pounce on any misspoken phrase.

Like Ortiz using the word "fair", when he was talking about the Sox lineup.

You don't have that problem! LOL

Congrats on picking up the language so quickly.

It couldn't have been easy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Whats ridiculous about this story is that the reporter who blew it up, did not hear it....he was interbiewing Dice when the Coach came over to apologize to Dice's inteperter, that when he was joking around with the interpter earlier...he had used an inappropriate word and he used the word again in his apology....as in I am really sorry that I used the word C****......and this reporter who was Asian was offended he used the word again in his apology.....people need  to lighten up....whatever happened to Sticks and Stones. The coach made a bad joke....he apolgized...the inerperter is fine....Dice is fine, but the reporter who heard the apology wants to continue the persecution.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The forum wasted a week two years ago with the slur made to Carl Crawford. This CommieContrarian seems to have a tabloid nose or is a bottom feeder. Call him catfish.

[/QUOTE]

Well, that oughta keep 'em in line officer.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whats ridiculous about this story is that the reporter who blew it up, did not hear it....he was interbiewing Dice when the Coach came over to apologize to Dice's inteperter, that when he was joking around with the interpter earlier...he had used an inappropriate word and he used the word again in his apology....as in I am really sorry that I used the word C****......and this reporter who was Asian was offended he used the word again in his apology.....people need  to lighten up....whatever happened to Sticks and Stones. The coach made a bad joke....he apolgized...the inerperter is fine....Dice is fine, but the reporter who heard the apology wants to continue the persecution.

[/QUOTE]

the coach is a cracker

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

What did the guy say.  All I have read about it refers vaguely to "a slur once used to describe Asian people". 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

What did the guy say.  All I have read about it refers vaguely to "a slur once used to describe Asian people". 

there's a _____  (rhymes with blink) in your armor

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thanks Slash.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

[QUOTE] for crying out loud he is  Japanese not Chinese, its not a big deal. It's like calling a Yankee fan smart, the word was used incorrectly

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Free-UB. Show Free-UB's posts

In response to Guru_Meditation's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not a police officer. I'm on the zoning board. You are not allowed to hang dirty laundry on a clothesline over your front yard in the Town of BDC Front Burner. It was just addended to the BDC guidelines. A word to the wise should be --------------------.

[/QUOTE]

Given that they have banned you and all your accounts 42 times and counting, I'd say that in the Town of BDC you are a hardened criminal out of jail on probation until you are caught again and thrown back in.

[/QUOTE]

+1111

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Free-UB. Show Free-UB's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

kinda like the washingto football team's slur.. this is lower hanging fruit... no place in society for this nonsense

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

IC, Dice-K and Ichiro have to be careful about what they say to the media.

There are always reporters and fans ready to pounce on any misspoken phrase.

Like Ortiz using the word "fair", when he was talking about the Sox lineup.

You don't have that problem! LOL

Congrats on picking up the language so quickly.

It couldn't have been easy.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you ThefourBs for your kind words!!!   Laughing

I agree with you--if a player says one small thing, the media will blow things way out of proportion.   

One time, I was at Stop and Shop and a worker said to me, "Paper or Plastic?"  I did not know what it meant so I just smiled back.   LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The translator comes with the contract and so what.  There are a few other players who should have someone next to them to state what they really meant.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I just had to check myself.  Apparently the day before the coach had called Cutler, an American of part-Japanese descent, a "Chinaman". http://www.barstoolsports.com/m/nyc/super-page/mets-pitching-coach-in-hot-water-for-calling-dice-ks-interpreter-asian-slur/

IMO it's ignorant, insensitive and just plain stupid.  It's a well-known inappropriate label (see The Big Lebowski "Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please."  ;-)), but as Ice Cream (Korean, right?) wrote, what he, Ice Cream, thinks doesn't matter.  What I, a WASP, think doesn't matter.  If Cutler was offended he should take it further.  But I have many friends, including my gf, that are not white and they face such bvllsh1t all the time....and often have to decide between formally challenging such idiots (think 666's Mexico "humour") as they deserve vs the knowledge that doing so will in some peoples' minds paint them as complainers.  It's tough.

Topically, just this week a number of Oxford University students have started a project....based on earlier actions but still brilliant, IMO:  http://www.theguardian.com/education/shortcuts/2014/mar/12/oxford-university-students-of-colour-being-othered

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Topically, just this week a number of Oxford University students have started a project....based on earlier actions but still brilliant, IMO: 

Kind of cool.  It's nice to see people putting the issue on the table without getting personal about it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The translator comes with the contract and so what.  There are a few other players who should have someone next to them to state what they really meant.

[/QUOTE]

Papelbon could have used such a translator

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

You know, Denis Leary had a show about firefighters of all different nationalities and ethnicities. They would constantly call eachother the most common "slurs", I guess, of their respective races or ethnicities on a regular basis. They were friends, they loved each other, and in their field counted on eachother to save their lives when necessary. I have to say when you first saw it, it seem shocking. But after a while, you saw it for what it was...or at least what it appeared to be. It kinda took the weight off of those comments, and made them just a way of joking or ribbing eachother. Since everyone was included and they were all doing it so often the names or "slurs" lost their power.

There's something to be said for that, and the fact that we give words so much power.

Having said that, I completely understand that in some cases hate can change that to something hurtful, but it would be great to have some of these "slurs" lose their power. I also respect those who feel they would still be hurt by them, and they, obviously, should have the last word on that for themselves.