DICE K Throws Bullpen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

DICE K Throws Bullpen

The prevailing story has been that Dice K will be back around the All Star break. I am not a Doctor but I would think that someone who is throwing a BP session and is beginning Long Toss in January would have a great shot of coming back earlier than that, barring any setbacks of course. This could make the Sox even more conservative in trying to get another starter.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7524263/daisuke-matsuzaka-throws-first-bullpen-surgery-report-says

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: DICE K Throws Bullpen

Thanks for the link Tom.  Yeah, bullpen?  Long toss?  Certainly seems further along in recovery than AS break predictions would imply.  And certainly the original optimistic timetable of an early June return seems possible.  This is exciting.  I am feeling good about Dice if he gets on the hill this year.  

Contract year + Japanese Manager = Monster Dice

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

Please help me.  Is Dice K coming back a good thing?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: DICE K Throws Bullpen:
    [QUOTE]Please help me.  Is Dice K coming back a good thing?
    Posted by accland[/QUOTE]
    I am with Space on this.....I think Francona and Farrell really mismanaged Dice and think that Valentines experience with Japanese players could make a huge difference with Dice....Dice is judged by that huge posting fee but for his Salary he was a 10mm year pitcher and his first two years with the Sox even with his frustrating nibbling...he was well worth that.....and anyone who has seen him the last two years saw the drop in velocity on his fastball, which could be directly realted to the arm injury. Compared to what else we have signed....I look forward to him getting a shot to see what he has.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to DICE K Throws Bullpen : that Dice K will be back around the All Star break. where R U getting this from and where did spaceman get early june from ? sounds  early to me I'm thinking more like Daisuke Matsuzaka threw his first bullpen session Monday since undergoing Tommy John surgery. "Today is like a warm-up," Matsuzaka said after the short mound workout. "I think I'll throw harder next week." The 31-year-old right-hander underwent the Tommy John reconstructive procedure in June and is unlikely to return to major league action until late in the 2012 season. He's entering the final year of his contract with the Red Sox. Source: Mainichi Daily News
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]
    Dice K had Surgery in Early June 2011. It has been common(Volquez, Strasburg) for players to make their first ML start around 1 Calendar year after the Surgery....though of course it can take longer.....why would you think it would be late 2012?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to DICE K Throws Bullpen : that Dice K will be back around the All Star break. where R U getting this from and where did spaceman get early june from ? sounds  early to me I'm thinking more like Daisuke Matsuzaka threw his first bullpen session Monday since undergoing Tommy John surgery. "Today is like a warm-up," Matsuzaka said after the short mound workout. "I think I'll throw harder next week." The 31-year-old right-hander underwent the Tommy John reconstructive procedure in June and is unlikely to return to major league action until late in the 2012 season. He's entering the final year of his contract with the Red Sox. Source: Mainichi Daily News
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Zac - The June return was an optimistic ("as early as") timetable coming from the medical staff right after the surgery.  It sounded very early to me too.  Still does.  But, throwing bullpen sessions and long-tossing also seems very early, so maybe that is, in fact, the timetable he is on.  From what I recall, the medical squad rep was basing that return date on the fact that the surgery went extremely well.  So, maybe it did. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Golf Clap.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

With the exception of the times when Daisuke tried to nibble at the strike zone to entice a swing I always appreciated him.

I have always held to the thought that he was somehow part of poor communication by both John Farrell and Terry Francona; who both seem to have done a poor job of letting him know their expectations and plans.

I welcome him back and am pretty confident he will both regain his velocity and competitive drive making him as good of an option as "the big three."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Please help me.  Is Dice K coming back a good thing?
    Posted by accland[/QUOTE]

Here we go again.

Do you guys know what most 5th starters look like in MLB? (Look at most 4 starters and many #3's as well.) I heard the same about the high expectations for a 6th starter (Wake) all last year.

Go do the research. 

How many #5 starters have a 62% winning percentage and a carerr 4.25 ERA?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Be great to get Dice back in June; think he'll do even better with V. at the helm.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

It's definitely going to be interesting to see what Bobby can do with him. We've all seen whhat he's capable of,  he's just been amazingly inconsistant. If Bobby can bring out his best he'd be the best #4 in the league.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Agree seems like he could easily be back by June 1 if starting throwing from mound already which is great news for RS. But have to believe team and Dice will air on side of caution, Dice last year of contract plus IP will be concern for RS and want him for remainder of season. IMO opinion this will be better than any trade time deal that RS could make. His return could also make RS bullpen much stronger if RS move Bard back to pen after say 130-50 ip. Plus think having Bob V will help Dice to be better pitcher, not a 2 pitch pitcher that he basically became w/ RS. If Bob V can do this w/ Dice he will be work anything RS are paying him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

DiceK to the rescue early August - I root for him always!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It could work out nicely as bard and or Aceves will probably need some rest or down time as they transition to the rotation. I don't see either of them starting 30 games and getting 190+ IP.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]I doubt we see him this year. 
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

None of us really have any inside information or a crystal ball. Most Red Sox fans hope that he comes back and performs well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If he's healthy and mentally focused, he's the kind of guy who's capable of going 20 or more innings without runs allowed.  Let's hope he comes back strong and back to his 2008-09 forms. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts