Dice-K throws for 1st time since surgery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Dice-K throws for 1st time since surgery

From WEEI.com:

Red Sox pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka played catch for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery in June to repair the torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. According to the Kyodo News (via JapanBall.com), Matsuzaka threw 39 times from “short range” in Fort Myers as a starting point to the gradual rebuilding of his arm strength.

After the throwing session, the 31-year-old reflected on what he considered a significant milestone in his rehab process.

”I have been waiting a long time for this day,” Matsuzaka told reporters in Fort Myers. ”It was the first time I threw a ball in awhile but I was relieved because my elbow didn’t hurt at all,” he said.

”I was nervous about my first throw because I didn’t want to throw it in a strange way. Since it was my first time holding a baseball in a long time, I wasn’t quite sure about my release.”

Matsuzaka made just eight appearances (seven starts) in 2011, going 3-3 with a 5.30 ERA before suffering the elbow injury that ultimately required season-ending surgery. While he remained true to the wildly inconsistent form he’d shown over the last three seasons, his absence nevertheless contributed to the decimation of the Red Sox’ starting pitching depth that ultimately contributed to the team’s collapse in September.

While Matsuzaka has a stated goal of returning sometime in the second half of the 2012 season — the last of the six-year, $52 million deal he signed with the Sox after Boston won its posting bid of $51.11 million on him in Nov. 2006 — it remains to be seen whether he ever pitches in a major league game for the Sox again.

That said, to date, Matsuzaka’s recovery from Tommy John has remained very much on schedule. Going forward, Matsuzaka said that he hopes to throw every other day, and he acknowledged that he will take more time both in preparing for his throwing sessions and getting post-throwing treatment.

In five seasons with the Sox, Matsuzaka is 49-30 with a 4.25 ERA while striking out 8.2 batters per nine innings and walking 4.4 hitters per nine. He will make $10 million in 2012.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Re: Dice-K throws for 1st time since surgery

If it weren't for his craziness I'd actually be interested in him. Tommy John often boosts throwing speed 3-4 MPH, though there are many factors determining that possibility. But Dice was NEVER happy here, and my guess is he'll end up in Japan again. C'est la vie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: Dice-K throws for 1st time since surgery:
    If it weren't for his craziness I'd actually be interested in him. Tommy John often boosts throwing speed 3-4 MPH, though there are many factors determining that possibility. But Dice was NEVER happy here, and my guess is he'll end up in Japan again. C'est la vie.
    Posted by Teakus

Dice-K may not have been happy here because the Red Sox changed his entire pitching regimen that he followed in Japan and what made him successful.

Maybe if the Sox let him prepare to pitch in a method he was used too, which involved lots and lots of throwing, he would have retained his arm strength, won more games and avoided injury.

If Dice-K is disenchanted with pitching in Boston, it is primarily for these reasons.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

well gee...this couldn't of happened a month earlier....when we needed him?

I started writting this as a joke....but realistically the way much of our staff pitched, he actually would have been an upgrade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

DICE-MAN OH DICE-MAN , WHERE ART THOU ???   OOPS, DOES IT REALLY MATTER !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I could care less. Please go back to Japan Dice-K. I will have to commit Hari-Kari watching Lackey and you pitch back to back games. He was never right for the Red Sox, horribly managed by the Red Sox, way too rock-headed and definately cared more about the World Classic than playing for the Red Sox. Can we please just move on here?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I could care less. Please go back to Japan Dice-K. I will have to commit Hari-Kari watching Lackey and you pitch back to back games. He was never right for the Red Sox, horribly managed by the Red Sox, way too rock-headed and definately cared more about the World Classic than playing for the Red Sox. Can we please just move on here?
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Totally agree with WBC part.  Dice-K was the God in WBC.  He won back to back MVP award. He never lost a game in combining 2006 & 2009 WBC with 6-0 record... holy cr*p...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Agree with Sox Dog, they should have let him prepare and pitch the way he always had, instead of trying to control his regimen to fit their one size fits all approach.  Before he went down he pitched back to back 1 hitters.  He 18-3 season with a 2 something ERA placed him among the top vote getters for the cy young that year.  Hope he comes back and pitches well and stays around.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

He'll come in handy if he's ready for the second half of the season.You can never have too much pitching as this year proved.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

wonder how many guys he walked?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Who cares? Unlikely he will pitch for the Sox again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Dice-K throws for 1st time since surgery : Dice-K may not have been happy here because the Red Sox changed his entire pitching regimen that he followed in Japan and what made him successful. Maybe if the Sox let him prepare to pitch in a method he was used too, which involved lots and lots of throwing, he would have retained his arm strength, won more games and avoided injury. If Dice-K is disenchanted with pitching in Boston, it is primarily for these reasons.
    Posted by Soxdog67

I definitely agree with you about Dice-K.  I always liked him and really missed him this season.  It was very unfortunate that he was injured for most of the season. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Secord verse same as the first...or is it third verse now...every year we read the same story about him.  He has been a disappointment to say the least.

Sections
Shortcuts