DiceK's Return - Why

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

DiceK's Return - Why

All this talk about DiceK returning after two more rehab starts. Unless they move Buchholz to the bullpen or demote him (or DL), whose spot is he replacing?

He's pitched fair at best and given that he's only been able to go 4-5 innings, why insert a guy into the rotation when at best DiceK will give you 5 mediocre innings.

What are they going to do with him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: DiceK's Return - Why

There is talk that for a short period of time they will go to a 6 man rotation and perhaps this will work itself out.  In the meantime, one of the relievers who has options would be sent down (Atchison?).....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Because he's getting paid a small fortune.  And because they can trade him. 

Why?  Because no one in the rotation has an ERA under 4.25 and one guy has an era over 8.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: DiceK's Return - Why:
    [QUOTE]Because he's getting paid a small fortune.  And because they can trade him.  Why?  Because no one in the rotation has an ERA under 4.25 and one guy has an era over 8.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Even though I am not a Dice K. fan, it is hard to argue with these facts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Why?  I've got one word to sume up the answer:  Weiland.

Do we really think our rotation, iffy as it is in performance and well-being, is going to be in collective health all year?

I shudder at reliving the real reason behind the 2011 collapse.  Starting pitching depth is a must.  Cook/Dice/Miller (2012 stretch redux version)/Padilla in the hole is a vast upgrade over last year's Wake/Weiland/Miller scenario.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

If Beckett struggles again his next start, I think you can expect to see him get a DL stint, so that Sox can see what Dice has got. I really think Dice can be succesful.....in 2010 and 2011, despite the horrible ERAs, his BA against was in the .230's.....he just walked too many people. He clearly didnt trust his stuff, part of that is not being healthy and part of that is a comfort level....thats why people thinks Bobby's few words of japanese could make a difference....as DirtyWater said, he makes alot of Money....need to see if he can contribute....if he can great, if he can't, so be it, it is the last year in the deal in any case.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

there will be some phantom injury to a pitcher to make room for Dice K, thats the way it always happens here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

You would have to be quite an optimist to expect a lot from DiceK.   Of course , anything would be better than Buchholz at this point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

There's always the chance Bard will return to the pen. This also gives them a good spot to trade from.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Why?

Because he is under contract and is better than quite a few starting pitchers in the majors.

Best cast scenario is he pitches well for a few games and gets traded.  He is on his last year of his contract.  If the Red Sox dont want him, someone else will.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

A big deal will be made this year. I just don't see Middlebrooks heading back down, so Youk is the odd man out there. I also hate the player Beckett seems to be becoming. If Dice-K comes back solid, that plus maybe Lars Anderson is not a bad package.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

$110MM reasons

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

he's under contract?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: DiceK's Return - Why:
    [QUOTE]A big deal will be made this year. I just don't see Middlebrooks heading back down, so Youk is the odd man out there. I also hate the player Beckett seems to be becoming. If Dice-K comes back solid, that plus maybe Lars Anderson is not a bad package.
    Posted by jgallag1[/QUOTE]

Has DiceK been solid in the last 3 years? He hasn't been solid since 2008.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

$10 million in each of the final two years (2011–2012)

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If Dice-K can give us 6 to 7 innings and a 4.00 ERA per start, then I am happy. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i think when dice k comes back he will take doubronts spot in the rotation. Doubront has been average at best and has been quite inconsistant. it will be beckett, lester, buchholz, dicek, bard probably for the rest of this year unless a trade is made for a starter

Sections
Shortcuts