Did anybody hear Joe Buck insult baseball fans tonight? About A-Gon?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Did anybody hear Joe Buck insult baseball fans tonight? About A-Gon?

Generally I think Buck is OK(sick of McCarver) but tonight he said nobody new much about A-Gon until he joined the Red Sox. That's Bull_ _ _ _. If you're even a half follower you had heard of A-Gon. He's playing into the stereotype that MLB only cares about the Yanks and Red Sox and Cubs and Mets and Dodgers etc... I am a die hard Red Sox fan but I am also a baseball fan. That bothered me, and his laryngitas. OK now be honest fans. Are you watching the Bruins game or Sox game? Since the Sox are up big I've been mostly watching the B's I confess. They're losing 3 to 1 right now. Not a good start.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Did anybody hear Joe Buck insult baseball fans tonight? About A-Gon?

I generally agree.  However, in the NL Pujols is the firstbaseman and hitter who gets all the attention. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

What are your baseball opinions of tonight's game? Did you enjoy it or did you tune in to assess the Fox announcers? Why not start a blog critiqueing baseball announcers?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Re: Did anybody hear Joe Buck insult baseball fans tonight? About A-Gon?:
    [QUOTE]What are your baseball opinions of tonight's game? Did you enjoy it or did you tune in to assess the Fox announcers? Why not start a blog critiqueing baseball announcers?
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

Enjoyed the game very much. I just hate it when announcers assume most baseball fans are provincial, that's all. Any word on Youk? Hopefully he was taken out because we were up so much.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Buck knows better than this.  Anyone with the MLB package could watch AG anytime.  He is the main reason I watched west coast late games...along with The Freak!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

In Response to Re: Did anybody hear Joe Buck insult baseball fans tonight? About A-Gon?:
    [QUOTE]What are your baseball opinions of tonight's game? Did you enjoy it or did you tune in to assess the Fox announcers? Why not start a blog critiqueing baseball announcers?
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]
    Joe Buck's mom has a Boston.com account.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

Mute button is one of my favorites on the remote!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

At least I dont have to listen to Jon & Joe on ESPN SNBB anymore..Now those two were brutal IMO..especially Morgan..oh, excuse me..HOF'r Joe Morgan..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did anybody hear Joe Buck insult baseball fans tonight? About A-Gon? : Joe Buck's mom has a Boston.com account.
    Posted by StatsFromLouie[/QUOTE]

So at least his mom has a clue. 

Thanks for the exhaustive background work.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ease up a bit on Buck...if not for the all-star game, i wouldnt have seen him either....most fans follow their team and dont have MLB to watch west coast games

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pelosireturns. Show pelosireturns's posts

I first heard about him years ago from this site. I believe it was from one of softlaws posts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]ease up a bit on Buck...if not for the all-star game, i wouldnt have seen him either....most fans follow their team and dont have MLB to watch west coast games
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Of course that is true.  If you live near Boston, you don't need the package.  If on the other hand, you live out of the area and love the Sox, you get the package.  That gives you the ability to follow the Sox, root against the Yanks and learn about teams in other markets.  Now I don't often watch Brewers games.  But I love late west coast baseball.  I check in on the Jays, O's, Angels and Rockies.  I am a golden god with the remote!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

THANK GOD LACKEY DIDN'T PITCH. 

They put the camera on him in the eighth and he almost gave up a run.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Got to agree with georom here.  Buck was just overstating a bit, but not insulting.  Truth is, and Buck's point was, Adrian Gonzalez's name meant very little to most team's fans.  And the Padres do not have a national presence in which he could stage his exploits.  He will be much better well known now that he is playing in Boston.  We (Sox fans) knew of Gonzalez and his exploits because he had been the subject of trade talk for well over 2 seasons.  And some of us follow baseball, not just Red Sox.  But all, in all, Buck was summarizing the general fan, and Adrian's standing among them, accurately, IMO.

Oh, and funny stuff, MuellerTime.  It was weird how many times Lackey was in the picture last night!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]Got to agree with georom here.  Buck was just overstating a bit, but not insulting.  Truth is, and Buck's point was, Adrian Gonzalez's name meant very little to most team's fans.  And the Padres do not have a national presence in which he could stage his exploits.  He will be much better well known now that he is playing in Boston.  We (Sox fans) knew of Gonzalez and his exploits because he had been the subject of trade talk for well over 2 seasons.  And some of us follow baseball, not just Red Sox.  But all, in all, Buck was summarizing the general fan, and Adrian's standing among them, accurately, IMO. Oh, and funny stuff, MuellerTime.  It was weird how many times Lackey was in the picture last night!
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

I'm more offended by putting Sarah Silverman in the booth. I love the girl, she being from NH and all, but that was just painful to listen to. I had to mute it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Agreed.  Her comments on LSD were out of place, and clearly bothered Tim and Joe.  That was an embarrasing few minutes all around.  Fortunately there was a good movie on that I could switch to.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from whosknockin. Show whosknockin's posts

So Buck had laryngitas?  I figured he'd just doubled up on his Prozac before the game. Being in a booth with McCarver for three hours will make you want to do that. I'm amazed that these two baseball lifers can talk for three hours and impart so little knowledge, wisdom and insight. McCarver deserves a lifetime achievement award for overstating the obvious.

When it comes to dumbing down America, Fox leads the way.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did anybody hear Joe Buck insult baseball fans tonight? About A-Gon? : Of course that is true.  If you live near Boston, you don't need the package.  If on the other hand, you live out of the area and love the Sox, you get the package.  That gives you the ability to follow the Sox, root against the Yanks and learn about teams in other markets.  Now I don't often watch Brewers games.  But I love late west coast baseball.  I check in on the Jays, O's, Angels and Rockies.  I am a golden god with the remote!
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Jim,

I hate to tell you that Toronto is not on the West Coast, but I guess if you're in Boston it is there somewhere West of the Atlantic Coast, but it is East of me in Milwaukee and I'm 1500 miles or so from the West Coast.

Cheers,
    Hetchinspete

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Girardi-Inept. Show Girardi-Inept's posts

San Diego is not even close to being one of America's teams. Their national following is low compared to that of many other teams. I can understand where Buck was coming from.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

[QUOTE]THANK GOD LACKEY DIDN'T PITCH.  They put the camera on him in the eighth and he almost gave up a run.
    Posted by MuellerTime19[/QUOTE]

LOL!!  Very good "MT"...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

I saw nothing insulting about the statement. In fact the casual fan probably wasn't familiar with the player beyond the fact that the Sox had him on their radar. Not all fans have the passion that we share here. My guess is that most don't share our passion but still follow the team at some level.

I have friends that have been Red Sox fans for years but probably couldn't name all of the players on the team. They attend games and follow the standings but don't live, eat and breathe all things Red Sox like some of us here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]San Diego is not even close to being one of America's teams. Their national following is low compared to that of many other teams. I can understand where Buck was coming from.
    Posted by Girardi-Inept[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I'm going to disagree. San Diego might not be the Mecca of baseball, but Agons been playing for ten years, and I doubt if there are many fans the follow MLB the weren't aware of Agon before the trade to Boston. Bucks a bit naive, or like many sportcasters just looking to fill time with meaningless talk. Either way it was a mis-statement.

Hetchinspete.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

And let's face it. For those of us who are also Boston sports fans, Joe Buck jinxed us before two of our worst moments. Oct.16, 2003...."And the Red Sox are five defensive outs away from the World Series." Feb. 3, 2008....."And the Patriots are two minutes and change away from history."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

All I know is that Sara Silverman is a disgrace and whoever invited her on should be fired......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Jesus is magic....very funny stuff

Sections
Shortcuts