Did anyone catch this after the walkoff ??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Re: Did anyone catch this after the walkoff ??

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Classless ?? They pulled the shirt off after the HR he did not pull it off. So it was not meant to be seen on the field. 

By extrapolation that would mean EVERY shirt that we see out and about with letters block red or rearranged etc... Is classless.  What the frack. is classless, NYY suks is classless. Etc...

any kid over 10 in today's society knows what the word is and means. Also as the op stated most never caught the shirts writing 

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year.

So I guess your argument is that two wrongs make a right.  Who's fault is it that kids know and use this language.  I didn't when I was ten.  What happened to protecting our childrens innocence. 

We as adults have should protect our children so that they can be children.  Kids grow up way to fast, they are exposed to things that we never had to deal with. 

That's what happens when we start down the slippery slope. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Classless ?? They pulled the shirt off after the HR he did not pull it off. So it was not meant to be seen on the field. 

By extrapolation that would mean EVERY shirt that we see out and about with letters block red or rearranged etc... Is classless.  What the frack. is classless, NYY suks is classless. Etc...

any kid over 10 in today's society knows what the word is and means. Also as the op stated most never caught the shirts writing 

EXACTLY, JIM.

WHO DO YOU THINK WE LEARNED IT FROM?SealedTongue Out

not to mention all of those f-bomb laden pressers from Josh Beckett over the years Tongue Out 

..or all those Yankee players with that bad middle name! Tongue Out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

So I guess your argument is that two wrongs make a right.  Who's fault is it that kids know and use this language.  I didn't when I was ten.  What happened to protecting our childrens innocence. 

We as adults have should protect our children so that they can be children.  Kids grow up way to fast, they are exposed to things that we never had to deal with. 

I agree that it is a slippery slope.  But, 67, you really didn't know swear words when you were ten?  That is fascinating.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I have enough class ( and mostly brains) to not use the F-bomb when children are present. I do however include the word in my vocabulary on occassion. Not with starngers, ladies or children present.

This is twice for Ortiz, once verbally, and now in print. Before a packed house where kids, ladies and grandmas are in attendance.

I have no problem with Ortiz using every filthy word he knows in clubhouse with his mates....but censorship didn't catch it the first time, and  some T-shirt printers feel it's a great little slogan for the back of their shirt....not so cleverly disguised with ** in the middle.

Does Mr. Ortiz not understand that baseball is a sport enjoyed by families?...back years ago when I was a kid I would watch many games with my grandmother ( long since passed away)...I would have been embarassed if my grandmother was watching when Ortiz uttered his now famous "this is our $%#*ing city" phrase. But now it is being made a joke , a slogan, and  a selling tool.

Men with class like Bobby Orr or Carl Yastrzemski never would have spoke like this in public....or purposel tore off a shirt after a big moment to reveal a stupid @ss slogan like that.

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

Thanks for standing up for grandmothers! Has our society become so crass that words like these are part of our every day vocabulary.  Are we so illiterate that we can't find another way to express ourselves.

The greatest generation used some of the worse language ever. Leave it to the baby boomers to reinvent the past while doing their best to destroy the future.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Did the Mother Theresas out there dislike Eck saying, "We have to recap this s**t" after the blow out? In content it was much worse, but it was from a 60 year old white dude.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

For what it's worth.....most viewers probably never even saw it. I missed it until another friend pointed it out. I really haven't seen it posted anywhere else.

I think people need to lighten up and look at the big picture. He isn't cursing at someone, he's putting an explamation point on how strong our city has been.

BTW ...67RedSox.....you should hear some of the grannies at Bingo.....no filters on them when they miss that BINGO. I should make a recording next weekend.

Also, it was an off-color comment on how, in an passionate moment of connection with the people of a city he loves, in a time of great emotional upheaval, he got carried away and used the word f***.  He took a lot of heat for that.  And maybe it crossed a line of civility and responsibility, but it was a faux pas born out the sincerest love.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

For what it's worth.....most viewers probably never even saw it. I missed it until another friend pointed it out. I really haven't seen it posted anywhere else.

I think people need to lighten up and look at the big picture. He isn't cursing at someone, he's putting an explamation point on how strong our city has been.

BTW ...67RedSox.....you should hear some of the grannies at Bingo.....no filters on them when they miss that BINGO. I should make a recording next weekend.

Also, it was an off-color comment on how, in an passionate moment of connection with the people of a city he loves, in a time of great emotional upheaval, he got carried away and used the word f***.  He took a lot of heat for that.  And maybe it crossed a line of civility and responsibility, but it was a faux pas born out the sincerest love.

how about that off color connection moment he had with his ex manager when he barged into his news conference and demanded that someone do something about the rbi he was denied (by saying "i am f'n pissed")

Papi is a crude dude - this is the way he communicates...imagine him in the clubhouse in a private conversation?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

how about that off color connection moment he had with his ex manager when he barged into his news conference and demanded that someone do something about the rbi he was denied (by saying "i am f'n pissed")

Papi is a crude dude - this is the way he communicates...imagine him in the clubhouse in a private conversation?

That he is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I agree that it is a slippery slope.  But, 67, you really didn't know swear words when you were ten?  That is fascinating.

No, adults were careful not to use them around kids way back when I was a kid! I'm going on 60 so life was very different back then.

We didn't hear it on tv, there were only 3 channels back then LOL!  Music was far more tame, no internet, my first radio was AM only, no FM.

We didn't hear it at home, in school, tv, music etc.  It was a much more gentle time.  I never saw a ball player swear on tv, that was unheard of.  They were clean cut, no tats, and looked wholesome.  How they behaved behind closed doors may have been a different matter.

I could watch tv with my parents without them having to worry about smut and violence.

A few years later all that started to change but when I was a kid a had the great privilage of living an innocent life.

When my son was about 4 we were at a neighbors party.  They were swearing so I asked them to be careful in front of my son.  They laughed and told me the kids hear it all the time.  Not in my house, around my family or my friends.

Some of us are grandparents now and we still don't swear around our kids.  My sons don't swear around me or their dad.  Do they swear when they are not around me, I don't know.  I know for certain that my son won't swear around his daughter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

67redsox and I are on the same page here.

Not saying right or wrong, just saying he understands what it means to have had a childhood with parents who tried their best to perserve your innocence for at least until you are in your teen years. I was taught to have respect for ladies and elderly also. When I reached the 6th grade , I was exposed to 4 classmates who were 16 years old. These were young men ( we were still children), not sure if were ready for some of the things they used to talk about, but we sure started hearing terms and words that were foreign to us ( sure we knew many of the words already...but they had a few new ones for us).

Being 12 years old in 1970 was lots different than being 12 years old today( sadly). Sure kids know these words, so does your grandma....does this mean you go see grandma and say "what the "f#CK is for lunch today, b#tch?"Unfortuneatly, today's fathers probably use many four letter words in front of their kids, Ortiz has kids, doesn't he?...as a father shouldn't he have a little more sense when displying or using the f-bomb in public.

Sure he's and icon, but he isn't above us.

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I noticed it.  I know lots of grandmothers and none of them swear.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

I have enough class ( and mostly brains) to not use the F-bomb when children are present. I do however include the word in my vocabulary on occassion. Not with starngers, ladies or children present.

This is twice for Ortiz, once verbally, and now in print. Before a packed house where kids, ladies and grandmas are in attendance.

I have no problem with Ortiz using every filthy word he knows in clubhouse with his mates....but censorship didn't catch it the first time, and  some T-shirt printers feel it's a great little slogan for the back of their shirt....not so cleverly disguised with ** in the middle.

Does Mr. Ortiz not understand that baseball is a sport enjoyed by families?...back years ago when I was a kid I would watch many games with my grandmother ( long since passed away)...I would have been embarassed if my grandmother was watching when Ortiz uttered his now famous "this is our $%#*ing city" phrase. But now it is being made a joke , a slogan, and  a selling tool.

Men with class like Bobby Orr or Carl Yastrzemski never would have spoke like this in public....or purposel tore off a shirt after a big moment to reveal a stupid @ss slogan like that.

Thanks for standing up for grandmothers! Has our society become so crass that words like these are part of our every day vocabulary.  Are we so illiterate that we can't find another way to express ourselves.

The greatest generation used some of the worse language ever. Leave it to the baby boomers to reinvent the past while doing their best to destroy the future.

Not on live tv and not in front of kids.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Did the Mother Theresas out there dislike Eck saying, "We have to recap this s**t" after the blow out? In content it was much worse, but it was from a 60 year old white dude.

I didn't like it. Can you honestly tell me there were no other words he could have chosen.  Race has nothing to do with this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Emotional upheaval or not adults should be able to control their language in front of kids.  I was born and raised in boston, I love that city as much if not more.  My son was born in the hospital where some of the victims were taken.  There are other words he could have chosen.  I think people who use crass language in their every day vocabulary are more inclined to us them in moments of passion.  I can't imagine carl yaz, gentleman jim or jim rice using that word in front of women and children.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Emotional upheaval or not adults should be able to control their language in front of kids.  I was born and raised in boston, I love that city as much if not more.  My son was born in the hospital where some of the victims were taken.  There are other words he could have chosen.  I think people who use crass language in their every day vocabulary are more inclined to us them in moments of passion.  I can't imagine carl yaz, gentleman jim or jim rice using that word in front of women and children.

No argument here 67.  David Ortiz has a foul mouth.  And, yes, as you say, when one uses crass language in their everyday vocabulary they are more inclined to use them in moments of passion.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

67redsox and I are on the same page here.

Not saying right or wrong, just saying he understands what it means to have had a childhood with parents who tried their best to perserve your innocence for at least until you are in your teen years. I was taught to have respect for ladies and elderly also. When I reached the 6th grade , I was exposed to 4 classmates who were 16 years old. These were young men ( we were still children), not sure if were ready for some of the things they used to talk about, but we sure started hearing terms and words that were foreign to us ( sure we knew many of the words already...but they had a few new ones for us).

Being 12 years old in 1970 was lots different than being 12 years old today( sadly). Sure kids know these words, so does your grandma....does this mean you go see grandma and say "what the "f#CK is for lunch today, b#tch?" Today's fathers probably use many four letter words in front of their kids, Ortiz has kids, doesn't he?...as a father shouldn't he have a little more sense when displying or using the f-bomb in public.

Sure he's and icon, but he isn't above us.

I feel bad for kids today.  They know way too much at such a young age, no sense of safety anymore.

Swear words are crass and ugly.  When people use these words they are choosing not to use a better vocabulary.  If our kids get used to this type of talk, if these words become part of our commen every day speach we are a poorer society.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

My dad was a member of the greatest generation and I never heard him use the f-bomb.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

No argument here 67.  David Ortiz has a foul mouth.  And, yes, as you say, when one uses crass language in their everyday vocabulary they are more inclined to use them in moments of passion.  

I bet you are a good dad and I'm sure you don't swear in front of your kids.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I heard all sorts of things in the 70's, but its even worse today. In todays society I dont think protecting the child's innocence is as important as to doing what I did with my kids.

Being a musician that traveled and also being in sports radio my son was exposed to some inappropriate language. Guys usually kept it clean when he was around, but its impossible to do all the time in those lines of work. I had talks with him about it and have always been open and honest with him. I didnt make a big deal out of it and just explained things to him. He wasnt allowed to speak like that, even if I did sometimes. Im not perfect and have slipped up a few times. He doesnt use bad language himself. Hes a very spiritual young man today who doesnt judge people.

theres a lot more wrong with the world than the f-bomb. Im glad my kids are young adults now. I certainly wouldnt want to raise a kid in todays world.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I heard all sorts of things in the 70's, but its even worse today. In todays society I dont think protecting the child's innocence is as important as to doing what I did with my kids.

Being a musician that traveled and also being in sports radio my son was exposed to some inappropriate language. Guys usually kept it clean when he was around, but its impossible to do all the time in those lines of work. I had talks with him about it and have always been open and honest with him. I didnt make a big deal out of it and just explained things to him. He wasnt allowed to speak like that, even if I did sometimes. Im not perfect and have slipped up a few times. He doesnt use bad language himself. Hes a very spiritual young man today who doesnt judge people.

theres a lot more wrong with the world than the f-bomb. Im glad my kids are young adults now. I certainly wouldnt want to raise a kid in todays world.

You just proved my point. Growing up in the 50's and early 60's kids were allowed to be kids. I was in college in the 70's and things were pretty bad compared to the 50's.  Now they are much worse than the 70's.  Where does it end?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Big Papi is the man

Sections
Shortcuts