Did anyone catch this after the walkoff ??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Did anyone catch this after the walkoff ??

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

For what it's worth.....most viewers probably never even saw it. I missed it until another friend pointed it out. I really haven't seen it posted anywhere else.

I think people need to lighten up and look at the big picture. He isn't cursing at someone, he's putting an explamation point on how strong our city has been.

BTW ...67RedSox.....you should hear some of the grannies at Bingo.....no filters on them when they miss that BINGO. I should make a recording next weekend.

Also, it was an off-color comment on how, in an passionate moment of connection with the people of a city he loves, in a time of great emotional upheaval, he got carried away and used the word f***.  He took a lot of heat for that.  And maybe it crossed a line of civility and responsibility, but it was a faux pas born out the sincerest love.

Emotional upheaval or not adults should be able to control their language in front of kids.  I was born and raised in boston, I love that city as much if not more.  My son was born in the hospital where some of the victims were taken.  There are other words he could have chosen.  I think people who use crass language in their every day vocabulary are more inclined to us them in moments of passion.  I can't imagine carl yaz, gentleman jim or jim rice using that word in front of women and children.

[/QUOTE]

No argument here 67.  David Ortiz has a foul mouth.  And, yes, as you say, when one uses crass language in their everyday vocabulary they are more inclined to use them in moments of passion.  

[/QUOTE]

I bet you are a good dad and I'm sure you don't swear in front of your kids.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks 67.  No, I never swear in front of my daughter.  I know my example is her strongest teacher.  Now, that being said, i used to cuss like a sailor.  And cursing rates pretty low on my scale of evils.  The reason I don't curse much and I don't want my daughter to curse mainly because i know it to be an extremely lazy way to express oneself. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

[QUOTE]

67redsox and I are on the same page here.

Not saying right or wrong, just saying he understands what it means to have had a childhood with parents who tried their best to perserve your innocence for at least until you are in your teen years. I was taught to have respect for ladies and elderly also. When I reached the 6th grade , I was exposed to 4 classmates who were 16 years old. These were young men ( we were still children), not sure if were ready for some of the things they used to talk about, but we sure started hearing terms and words that were foreign to us ( sure we knew many of the words already...but they had a few new ones for us).

Being 12 years old in 1970 was lots different than being 12 years old today( sadly). Sure kids know these words, so does your grandma....does this mean you go see grandma and say "what the "f#CK is for lunch today, b#tch?" Today's fathers probably use many four letter words in front of their kids, Ortiz has kids, doesn't he?...as a father shouldn't he have a little more sense when displying or using the f-bomb in public.

Sure he's and icon, but he isn't above us.

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

I feel bad for kids today.  They know way too much at such a young age, no sense of safety anymore.

Swear words are crass and ugly.  When people use these words they are choosing not to use a better vocabulary.  If our kids get used to this type of talk, if these words become part of our commen every day speach we are a poorer society.

[/QUOTE]

Go back in time, why are kids this way? They are they kids, of kids raised by your generation.

Your generation is always making this generation out to be so much worse than it actually is. I don't think words will make us a poorer society.....I fear the actions more so. I'd rather focus on the kid with the gun, than the kid dropping the f word.

[/QUOTE]

The late 60's and 70's changed everything.  There was a major social upheavel that changed things for the worse. 

I was asked if I knew these words when I was ten and I didn't because we were protected back then.

Most of us were college age in the 70's.  Free sex, birth control, drugs, restictions lifted on speach on tv, changes in music, woodstock, etc changed everything.

Some people were swept up in the insanity and never matured into responsible adults.  Some people were swept up but matured into responsible adults.  Some people never got caught up.

The greatest generation, my parents generation, suffered through the great depression and a world war.  By the time my dad was 24 he had grown up dirt poor, spent 4 years at war and was a married man.  That type of formation makes for a very different adult than kids growing up during the sexual revolution, the 'if it feels good do it' generation.

My kids are in their late twenties and early thirties.  I'm very proud of the men they have become.  One is a junior engineer and the other is a CPA.  They were raised to work hard, don't ask for handouts, respect your elders, respect women and not to swear.

Not everyone in my generation has raised great kids but things are far worse now than when my sons were kids and far worse that when I was a kid.

My son's and husband would not have the great jobs they have if they droped the fbomb all the time.  They say dress for sucess, then you should speak for sucess.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

You just proved my point. Growing up in the 50's and early 60's kids were allowed to be kids. I was in college in the 70's and things were pretty bad compared to the 50's.  Now they are much worse than the 70's.  Where does it end?

[/QUOTE]

My kids are just being kids.... they still do a lot of the things I did as a kid. They go to Sox games, Bruins games ...hang at the playground and beach. Shoot hoops, there's still water fights and pool hops. It is not all gloom and doom.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it was all gloom and doom.  Children are exposed to violence and sex today that I was protected from.  We don't protect our children from things they shouldn't see or hear, including a sports figure dropping the fbomb in front of them

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

For what it's worth.....most viewers probably never even saw it. I missed it until another friend pointed it out. I really haven't seen it posted anywhere else.

I think people need to lighten up and look at the big picture. He isn't cursing at someone, he's putting an explamation point on how strong our city has been.

BTW ...67RedSox.....you should hear some of the grannies at Bingo.....no filters on them when they miss that BINGO. I should make a recording next weekend.

Also, it was an off-color comment on how, in an passionate moment of connection with the people of a city he loves, in a time of great emotional upheaval, he got carried away and used the word f***.  He took a lot of heat for that.  And maybe it crossed a line of civility and responsibility, but it was a faux pas born out the sincerest love.

Emotional upheaval or not adults should be able to control their language in front of kids.  I was born and raised in boston, I love that city as much if not more.  My son was born in the hospital where some of the victims were taken.  There are other words he could have chosen.  I think people who use crass language in their every day vocabulary are more inclined to us them in moments of passion.  I can't imagine carl yaz, gentleman jim or jim rice using that word in front of women and children.

[/QUOTE]

No argument here 67.  David Ortiz has a foul mouth.  And, yes, as you say, when one uses crass language in their everyday vocabulary they are more inclined to use them in moments of passion.  

[/QUOTE]

I bet you are a good dad and I'm sure you don't swear in front of your kids.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks 67.  No, I never swear in front of my daughter.  I know my example is her strongest teacher.  Now, that being said, i used to cuss like a sailor.  And cursing rates pretty low on my scale of evils.  The reason I don't curse much and I don't want my daughter to curse mainly because i know it to be an extremely lazy way to express oneself. 

[/QUOTE]

Good man!  Children watch their parents like little hawks LOL!  We are their first teachers in everything, they are little sponges.  Kind of scary!!!  It's hard work being a parent.  I would do it all over again but I'm glad it's behind me.  Now my job is to spoil my grandbaby, and I have to tell you it's a whole lot easier than being a parent.  And it's lots of fun.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I am less offended by the profanity than I am by the general boastful nature of the message.

What if Derek Jeter had a T-shirt that delivered the same message (sans the profanity)?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

I am less offended by the profanity than I am by the general boastful nature of the message.

What if Derek Jeter had a T-shirt that delivered the same message (sans the profanity)?

It's not as much about the profanity to me it's more about assuming that all the moms and dads at the park and watching on tv want to sit there and listen to it with their kids. 

There are other words he could have chosen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

[QUOTE]

Classless ?? They pulled the shirt off after the HR he did not pull it off. So it was not meant to be seen on the field. 

By extrapolation that would mean EVERY shirt that we see out and about with letters block red or rearranged etc... Is classless.  What the frack. is classless, NYY suks is classless. Etc...

any kid over 10 in today's society knows what the word is and means. Also as the op stated most never caught the shirts writing 

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year.

So I guess your argument is that two wrongs make a right.  Who's fault is it that kids know and use this language.  I didn't when I was ten.  What happened to protecting our childrens innocence. 

We as adults have should protect our children so that they can be children.  Kids grow up way to fast, they are exposed to things that we never had to deal with. 

That's what happens when we start down the slippery slope. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree that it is a slippery slope.  But, 67, you really didn't know swear words when you were ten?  That is fascinating.

[/QUOTE]

No, adults were careful not to use them around kids way back when I was a kid! I'm going on 60 so life was very different back then.

We didn't hear it on tv, there were only 3 channels back then LOL!  Music was far more tame, no internet, my first radio was AM only, no FM.

We didn't hear it at home, in school, tv, music etc.  It was a much more gentle time.  I never saw a ball player swear on tv, that was unheard of.  They were clean cut, no tats, and looked wholesome.  How they behaved behind closed doors may have been a different matter.

I could watch tv with my parents without them having to worry about smut and violence.

A few years later all that started to change but when I was a kid a had the great privilage of living an innocent life.

When my son was about 4 we were at a neighbors party.  They were swearing so I asked them to be careful in front of my son.  They laughed and told me the kids hear it all the time.  Not in my house, around my family or my friends.

Some of us are grandparents now and we still don't swear around our kids.  My sons don't swear around me or their dad.  Do they swear when they are not around me, I don't know.  I know for certain that my son won't swear around his daughter.

[/QUOTE]

Except cursing and violence were the norm in films until they established a code of conduct and censorship in films in the mid 30s. Yet again the truth and morality police strikes and yet again you are incorrect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

If you read players lips, the 'F' word probably comes out after bad call, or strike out etc.  This group also includes the 'christians'.

Who cares..At least they're not advocating rape, killing or whatever else like it's done with rap music.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Classless ?? They pulled the shirt off after the HR he did not pull it off. So it was not meant to be seen on the field. 

By extrapolation that would mean EVERY shirt that we see out and about with letters block red or rearranged etc... Is classless.  What the frack. is classless, NYY suks is classless. Etc...

any kid over 10 in today's society knows what the word is and means. Also as the op stated most never caught the shirts writing 

So I guess your argument is that two wrongs make a right.  Who's fault is it that kids know and use this language.  I didn't when I was ten.  What happened to protecting our childrens innocence. 

We as adults have should protect our children so that they can be children.  Kids grow up way to fast, they are exposed to things that we never had to deal with. 

I heard all sorts of things in the 70's, but its even worse today. In todays society I dont think protecting the child's innocence is as important as to doing what I did with my kids.

Being a musician that traveled and also being in sports radio my son was exposed to some inappropriate language. Guys usually kept it clean when he was around, but its impossible to do all the time in those lines of work. I had talks with him about it and have always been open and honest with him. I didnt make a big deal out of it and just explained things to him. He wasnt allowed to speak like that, even if I did sometimes. Im not perfect and have slipped up a few times. He doesnt use bad language himself. Hes a very spiritual young man today who doesnt judge people.

theres a lot more wrong with the world than the f-bomb. Im glad my kids are young adults now. I certainly wouldnt want to raise a kid in todays world.

You just proved my point. Growing up in the 50's and early 60's kids were allowed to be kids. I was in college in the 70's and things were pretty bad compared to the 50's.  Now they are much worse than the 70's.  Where does it end?

[/QUOTE]

I dont think Ive proven your point as much as I have accepted that this is the way it is in todays society, and I choose not to judge a man because of a "bad word". I taught my kids that. Parents have a responsibility to teach their kids. Raising children in my generation and todays generation is much different than in the past. I think there is way too much time spend complaining about a word that is used fairly regularly today. Im not saying its right, but it is what it is.

There are many more things Im concerned with to direct my time and effort to that far outweigh the F word.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

Always an early adopter, Warners launched the gangster genre with Mervyn LeRoy's Little Caesar (1930) - a star-making role for Edward G. Robinson as snarling, fast-talking mobster Caesar Enrico Bandello who met his inevitable fate with the words, "Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?" William Wellman's The Public Enemy (1931) starred a swaggering, cocky urban gangster portrayed by James Cagney (in his first film after a stint as a song-and-dance man in vaudeville) - in a film most-remembered for the scene in which the hoodlum abusively stuffed a grapefruit half into Mae Clarke's face, and the scene of Cagney's death at his mother's door.

Yes, this is pretty rauncy stuff!  Mother of mercy, how could they say such a thing.  I hope kids weren't in the room.  If you have proof of real raunch and violence please in the 30's please show me.

I agree that it is a slippery slope.  But, 67, you really didn't know swear words when you were ten?  That is fascinating.

No, adults were careful not to use them around kids way back when I was a kid! I'm going on 60 so life was very different back then.

We didn't hear it on tv, there were only 3 channels back then LOL!  Music was far more tame, no internet, my first radio was AM only, no FM.

We didn't hear it at home, in school, tv, music etc.  It was a much more gentle time.  I never saw a ball player swear on tv, that was unheard of.  They were clean cut, no tats, and looked wholesome.  How they behaved behind closed doors may have been a different matter.

I could watch tv with my parents without them having to worry about smut and violence.

A few years later all that started to change but when I was a kid a had the great privilage of living an innocent life.

When my son was about 4 we were at a neighbors party.  They were swearing so I asked them to be careful in front of my son.  They laughed and told me the kids hear it all the time.  Not in my house, around my family or my friends.

Some of us are grandparents now and we still don't swear around our kids.  My sons don't swear around me or their dad.  Do they swear when they are not around me, I don't know.  I know for certain that my son won't swear around his daughter.

Except cursing and violence were the norm in films until they established a code of conduct and censorship in films in the mid 30s. Yet again the truth and morality police strikes and yet again you are incorrect.

Please see the top of this thread.

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I was sleeping like a baby long before the Sox game ended last night..so I missed this. I did hear about it early this morning from an older aunt who just shook her head.

I guess I am somewhat prudish..because while I can understand him using the word in a moment of passion during his speech..I don't see the point of having it on a shirt.

That being said..a few  things are clear..

First..it's clear that the shirt wasn't meant to be seen by the public or the fans

Second...Papi clearly has a passionate love for the city of Boston. It's hard to be critical of that.

Finally...no one can argue that Ortiz is crass...but he is crass with a good heart. I would take that over refined nastiness any day of the week.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I heard all sorts of things in the 70's, but its even worse today. In todays society I dont think protecting the child's innocence is as important as to doing what I did with my kids.

Being a musician that traveled and also being in sports radio my son was exposed to some inappropriate language. Guys usually kept it clean when he was around, but its impossible to do all the time in those lines of work. I had talks with him about it and have always been open and honest with him. I didnt make a big deal out of it and just explained things to him. He wasnt allowed to speak like that, even if I did sometimes. Im not perfect and have slipped up a few times. He doesnt use bad language himself. Hes a very spiritual young man today who doesnt judge people.

theres a lot more wrong with the world than the f-bomb. Im glad my kids are young adults now. I certainly wouldnt want to raise a kid in todays world.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think Ive proven your point as much as I have accepted that this is the way it is in todays society, and I choose not to judge a man because of a "bad word". I taught my kids that. Parents have a responsibility to teach their kids. Raising children in my generation and todays generation is much different than in the past. I think there is way too much time spend complaining about a word that is used fairly regularly today. Im not saying its right, but it is what it is.

There are many more things Im concerned with to direct my time and effort to that far outweigh the F word.

[/QUOTE]

Where does it end?  From childhood innocence in the 50's to having our kids exposed to things that are not appropriat and not necessary, where do we go from here?

If carl yaz, gentleman jim or jim rice had sworn in front of their kids my parents would have been very angry.  You and some other parents don't think it's a big deal.  What does that tell you about our current society.

Our standards have been lowered, just how low will they go.  What about setting a higher bar, expecting people to use real words to communicate.

I remember when my boys were young while we were watching a football game a victorias secret commercial came on.  I was very uncomfortable sitting their with my sons.  I taught them to treat women with dignity and respect, they are not meat on a plate.  And here is a woman with not much on in my living room.

Parents are at the park or watching tv and they have to listen to these words or see them on tv. You have no problem with it but what about parents who hold higher standards.

People say if you don't like this type of thing then don't watch shows or movies with sex and violence in them.  So now I can't watch a football game or baseball game.  Really?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Where does it end?  From childhood innocence in the 50's to having our kids exposed to things that are not appropriat and not necessary, where do we go from here?

If carl yaz, gentleman jim or jim rice had sworn in front of their kids my parents would have been very angry.  You and some other parents don't think it's a big deal.  What does that tell you about our current society.

Our standards have been lowered, just how low will they go.  What about setting a higher bar, expecting people to use real words to communicate.

I remember when my boys were young while we were watching a football game a victorias secret commercial came on.  I was very uncomfortable sitting their with my sons.  I taught them to treat women with dignity and respect, they are not meat on a plate.  And here is a woman with not much on in my living room.

Parents are at the park or watching tv and they have to listen to these words or see them on tv. You have no problem with it but what about parents who hold higher standards.

People say if you don't like this type of thing then don't watch shows or movies with sex and violence in them.  So now I can't watch a football game or baseball game.  Really?

[/QUOTE]

Like I said, unfortunately it is what it is. You or I arent going to change the world. But we can raise our own the best we can, set a good example and hope for the best.

Im lucky. My kids really are good kids. I think I did a heck of a job with them going through everything they did. Just to keep it simple, their mother wasnt a saint. She got into drugs and I was left to raise them alone. It was tough, but I never lied to them and never sugar coated things. I was honest and real with them. Im surprised they did turn out so good with some of the negative influences they had to deal with. It was tough for sure.

Thats why the F word doesnt bother me as much as it might others. Theyve seen,heard and had to deal witha lot worse than that and turned out better than I could have hoped for. My son does mission work and my daughter is in college. Both have tured out well adjusted.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yeah, noticed it. Kind of disgusted with it, but whatayado? Glad he hit the HR though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My kids are just being kids.... they still do a lot of the things I did as a kid. They go to Sox games, Bruins games ...hang at the playground and beach. Shoot hoops, there's still water fights and pool hops. It is not all gloom and doom.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it was all gloom and doom.  Children are exposed to violence and sex today that I was protected from.  We don't protect our children from things they shouldn't see or hear, including a sports figure dropping the fbomb in front of them

[/QUOTE]

Wasn't your generation part of the generation that had priests molesting children? It's not all rosey in the past. Thankfully some of those adults now in their 50's took matters into their own hands, when their parents couldn't/wouldn't protect them. Thankfully kids today know to speak up, and it will prevent many kids from being exposed to this kind of horror.

I'm sorry for being blunt, but I despise how the older generation gives little credit to the kids these days. The kids from todays generation all get lumped into one catergory. Yes they are exposed to more, but parenting hasn't really changed all that much. You still have the parents that care, and those that don't give a hoot. The key in any generation, is nowing where your kids are, who they are with, and to talk to them....know what is going in in their lives. This doesn't change, it is the common denominator to raising great kids through every generation.

Congratulations on raising great children. Parenting is no easy task. I am in the midst of it myself. I'm not ready to tap myself on the back yet.....but so far, so good. They have great friends, they do great things...and they stay out of trouble. They are all healthy, happy and make me proud......and they all drop the f-word on occasion, they know there is a time and place for it.....it's one of the battles I chose not place all my focus on. I'd rather keep them off drugs and away from the bad stuff.

[/QUOTE]

Why is it that anytime there is a back and forth for any reason people bring up priests.  I have had that discussion a number of time in this forum.  I think you are reaching.  You are bringing up something that has nothing to do with a smut and violence filled society as a reason things were not so great in the fifties.  

Now back to reality.

My kids didn't do drugs or get into trouble and I never heard them swear.  My kids never swore in front of me and don't to this day.  They have respect for me and themselves.  With all the wonderful words we have in our language may I suggest that you encourage them to learn and use them.  It will serve them well in school and college.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Like I said, unfortunately it is what it is. You or I arent going to change the world. But we can raise our own the best we can, set a good example and hope for the best.

Im lucky. My kids really are good kids. I think I did a heck of a job with them going through everything they did. Just to keep it simple, their mother wasnt a saint. She got into drugs and I was left to raise them alone. It was tough, but I never lied to them and never sugar coated things. I was honest and real with them. Im surprised they did turn out so good with some of the negative influences they had to deal with. It was tough for sure.

Thats why the F word doesnt bother me as much as it might others. Theyve seen,heard and had to deal witha lot worse than that and turned out better than I could have hoped for. My son does mission work and my daughter is in college. Both have tured out well adjusted.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles and I'm glad your kids turned out well however that doesn't mean a culture soaked in sex and violence should be tolerated.

Someday I would like to take my granddaughter to a sox game like my dad took me and my kids.   I hope I am able to sit in the stands and not hear words I don't use in my own home.

A ball game is a public event, athletes should watch their mouths.  I believe they are capable, they just have to make a bit of an effort and not be proud of their swearing.

Wearing that shirt proves he's proud of his smutty language, nothing to be proud of.

I like ortiz and I think it's great he's on the team.  I think he could and should set a better example.

If he wants to drop the fbomb in front of his kids so be it (I hope he doesn't).  I just don't think he has the right to do it in front of millions of kids who aren't his and then be so proud of what he did that he makes a shirt to celebrate.  Not cool.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Why is it that anytime there is a back and forth for any reason people bring up priests.  I have had that discussion a number of time in this forum.  I think you are reaching.  You are bringing up something that has nothing to do with a smut and violence filled society as a reason things were not so great in the fifties. 

It's brought up when your generation is painted as all butterflies and roses. It wasn't. Period.

You obviously have an issue with my generation.  Bringing up priests is beyond a reach.

I don't know why you have issues with my generation, maybe problems with your parents, but I really don't care.  I hope you are able to come to terms with your problem because I know I can't help you with it.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In ranking the fears I have with my two sons (12 and 9) getting older, hearing foul language is pretty far down the list. It's not even in same neighborhood as drugs, alcohol, hormones, bullying, hanging out with the wrong crowd, etc.

My boys know not to use profanity. But in all honesty, there are truly hateful words that I'd be far angrier -- and  subject them to more harsh punishment --  if they used.

I'd never tell someone how to think, but I don't understand the acrimony over this.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts