Did anyone catch this after the walkoff ??

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Did anyone catch this after the walkoff ??

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Why is it that anytime there is a back and forth for any reason people bring up priests.  I have had that discussion a number of time in this forum.  I think you are reaching.  You are bringing up something that has nothing to do with a smut and violence filled society as a reason things were not so great in the fifties. 

It's brought up when your generation is painted as all butterflies and roses. It wasn't. Period.

You obviously have an issue with my generation.  Bringing up priests is beyond a reach.

I don't know why you have issues with my generation, maybe problems with your parents, but I really don't care.  I hope you are able to come to terms with your problem because I know I can't help you with it.

I don't have an issue, just showing that things weren't as rose colored as you'd like to believe they were.

You take issue with my generation and my kids generation which I know neither is perfect, but neither is as bad as you make it seem and I am not to allowed to make a point. And it is a valid point.

Really? Issues with my parents? Now who is reaching?

I think you are having a hard time dealing with the fact your perfect world wasn't as perfect as you believe it was. You know....the secretive generation. Keep everything in the closet. Shhh.

Too funny. Anyone who feels like the last generation was better should really re-examine their history and society. Every generation has it's issues and controversies. I think your attitude towards a simple word is common sense.  To me actions speak louder than words anyhow.  Like I said..I'd never walk around with a shirt like that nor let my son...but to each his own..and if that's the worst thing someone does..then they are doing pretty good.

People are forgetting..this was a shirt he was wearing under his uniform. It's not like he ripped it off...and I am sure no one in the stand could even see it. I doubt there were many families with small children at a night game in the middle of the week ( on a school night) anyhow.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I became desensitized the day I saw Andy Sipowicz's naked azz on TV.  Oh, and I threw up a little in my mouth too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Why is it that anytime there is a back and forth for any reason people bring up priests.  I have had that discussion a number of time in this forum.  I think you are reaching.  You are bringing up something that has nothing to do with a smut and violence filled society as a reason things were not so great in the fifties. 

It's brought up when your generation is painted as all butterflies and roses. It wasn't. Period.

You obviously have an issue with my generation.  Bringing up priests is beyond a reach.

I don't know why you have issues with my generation, maybe problems with your parents, but I really don't care.  I hope you are able to come to terms with your problem because I know I can't help you with it.

Actually you don't know anything about Msobs or her relationship with her parents so your comment says a lot about you. Why do assume because she is strong and confident..and not caught up in puritan ideals that she has issues with her parents..?

I don't have an issue with your generation..but I will say this. In those days everything was buried. The priest issue is a valid example. It's not that "these things" weren't happening..it's that "these things" weren't discussed or dealt with and the victims were forced to live with the shame and confusion of what happened. Every generation has its faults. My grandfather died a few years ago at the age of 95. He was known for his temper and could string together a line of curses that the family still jokes about to this day. This is not how he was defined however. He was a combat veteran, a hard worker , a loving father, husband and grandfather. He was an amazing man.  People swear. It's not the end of the world. Ortiz used one curse word in a speech..said in anger and resolve that most of us felt after the marathon bombings. That anyone can find fault with this is simply petty and beyond me.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I don't have an issue, just showing that things weren't as rose colored as you'd like to believe they were.

You take issue with my generation and my kids generation which I know neither is perfect, but neither is as bad as you make it seem and I am not to allowed to make a point. And it is a valid point.

Really? Issues with my parents? Now who is reaching?

I think you are having a hard time dealing with the fact your perfect world wasn't as perfect as you believe it was. You know....the secretive generation. Keep everything in the closet. Shhh.

Too funny. Anyone who feels like the last generation was better should really re-examine their history and society. Every generation has it's issues and controversies. I think your attitude towards a simple word is common sense.  To me actions speak louder than words anyhow.  Like I said..I'd never walk around with a shirt like that nor let my son...but to each his own..and if that's the worst thing someone does..then they are doing pretty good.

People are forgetting..this was a shirt he was wearing under his uniform. It's not like he ripped it off...and I am sure no one in the stand could even see it. I doubt there were many families with small children at a night game in the middle of the week ( on a school night) anyhow.

Seriously. That's the point I was trying to get across, every generation has its issues.  I know this generation is not perfect, I know my kids aren't perfect. I know I'm not perfect. I live in reality. Not some sugar coated fairy tail land. Jeeeeez.

Here's the thing with kids, if the parent doesn't make a big issue out of it....nine out of ten times the child isn't even paying attention to what's being said in a big crowd. Kids attention spans are so short and jump from second to second. If the shirt is what the parent focuses on then that's what the child will focus on. If Ortiz cursing is what the parent focuses on then the child will also focus on that.

Very well said!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Potomac87's comment:

Actually the photographer who took the photo and the editor who published it and the author of this thread made a big issue over it.

The author of this thread claims to have done it to push peoples buttons and used the fbomb herself.  I think that says it all and that is why I'm putting her on ignore.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Deleted. Double post

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Good for Papi and the Red Sox.  It's great that his teammates feel comfortable enough with him that they can expose his jersey as part of an exuberant celebration.  It just may be symptomatic of great cohesiveness and levity in the clubhouse.  A touch of naughtiness adds to the fun.   I would love having him as a teammate too.  I certainly love watching him as a fan.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I think theres a lot more to worry about in this world than what that t-shirt says. What it represents is HUGE. Some people really need to get over it and stop being a sensitive sally. Look past the word and into the meaning.

If you think papi is classless because of this, without knowing him at all, then I would ask you to look into the mirror. When you get done, let me know how perfect you areWink

By the way, where can I get one?Tongue Out #BostonStrong

I don't know what to tell you.  I looked all over the 'net and didn't find one like it.  Cry

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Actually the photographer who took the photo and the editor who published it and the author of this thread made a big issue over it.

PIKE

While I can understand and respect everyones post and point of view, if this is the most anyone has to be upset about, consider yourselves very lucky

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

The author of this thread claims to have done it to push peoples buttons and used the fbomb herself.  I think that says it all and that is why I'm putting her on ignore.

Hey 67, I'd suggest a change from the Craig Hansen monkey on the back avatar.  This suits you better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Hey 67, I'd suggest a change from the Craig Hansen monkey on the back avatar.  This suits you better.

Made me LOL.  I miss The Church Lady and the Superiority Shuffle. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I remember what I thought was the first time my son heard the F word. 

I was playing in a double-elimination tournament and we'd just lost the first game.  The whole team was sitting around under a tree when someone asked me what I though we had to do differently to win.  Completely forgetting that my 10 year old son was around, I responded, "I'll tell you this.  If we don't start hitting the ----ing ball we're going to lose."  Then I saw my son there and I immediately wanted to crawl under a rock. 

I took him off to one side and talked to him about appropriate behavior, time and place, etc., and apolgized for using that word in front of him.

And he said, "Dad.  It's not a big deal.  I hear it at school all the time." 

Point #1.  Do not bring your kids around a locker room if you don't want them to hear that word.  Like it or not, it's now part of the culture of sports.

Point #2. I have two kids and I'm positive it's part of their vocabulary.  I'm also sure then don't use it around me nor do I use it around them.  It's called respect.  And learning respect is part of growing up.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I have enough class ( and mostly brains) to not use the F-bomb when children are present. I do however include the word in my vocabulary on occassion. Not with starngers, ladies or children present.

This is twice for Ortiz, once verbally, and now in print. Before a packed house where kids, ladies and grandmas are in attendance.

I have no problem with Ortiz using every filthy word he knows in clubhouse with his mates....but censorship didn't catch it the first time, and  some T-shirt printers feel it's a great little slogan for the back of their shirt....not so cleverly disguised with ** in the middle.

Does Mr. Ortiz not understand that baseball is a sport enjoyed by families?...back years ago when I was a kid I would watch many games with my grandmother ( long since passed away)...I would have been embarassed if my grandmother was watching when Ortiz uttered his now famous "this is our $%#*ing city" phrase. But now it is being made a joke , a slogan, and  a selling tool.

Men with class like Bobby Orr or Carl Yastrzemski never would have spoke like this in public....or purposel tore off a shirt after a big moment to reveal a stupid @ss slogan like that.

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

I wouldn't worry about protecting the delicate sensibilities of grandmother, ladies and kids. Most of them use the very same language in public as well.

I also remember going to a game back in 1978 and seeing an old lady slowly walking back to her seat clutching a beer in each hand. I'll bet she was somebody's grandmother.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

What Ortiz said in public that day would have been scandalous in the pre 60s era. This was an era when men and women dressed up to go to ballgames. The idea of a star ballplayer addressing the entire crowd on a solemn occasion and dropping the f bomb would have been unheard of back then. It was not done ever - end of story. 

This doesnt mean people didnt cuss back then. Men did, in private quarters and not with mixed company. The real problem was in racist language. These 50s folks didnt think twice about dropping racial slurs when discussing minorities - especially in the south.

Which is worse? That depends on your sensibilities. What Papi did was classless but it didnt marginalize anyone.

As always - 100% correct!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I became desensitized the day I saw Andy Sipowicz's naked azz on TV.  Oh, and I threw up a little in my mouth too.

lol

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

What Ortiz said in public that day would have been scandalous in the pre 60s era. This was an era when men and women dressed up to go to ballgames. The idea of a star ballplayer addressing the entire crowd on a solemn occasion and dropping the f bomb would have been unheard of back then. It was not done ever - end of story. 

This doesnt mean people didnt cuss back then. Men did, in private quarters and not with mixed company. The real problem was in racist language. These 50s folks didnt think twice about dropping racial slurs when discussing minorities - especially in the south.

Which is worse? That depends on your sensibilities. What Papi did was classless but it didnt marginalize anyone.

As always - 100% correct!

Please don't lump all the 50s folks together, some may have used racial slurs but I didn't neither did my friends.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts