Did Anyone Notice the Excuse-Makers During the West Coast Trip?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Did Anyone Notice the Excuse-Makers During the West Coast Trip?

I read posts that said The Angels were missing their best player.  I read posts that said the faced a team that was emotionally spent from playing Texas.  Wait a minute...I heard that The Angels manager runs rings around Tito.  This does not jive.  The Angels were 12-6 when the Sox came to town.  The Angels came from Texas where they won 2 of 3.  They pounded the Rangers in the middle game and Weaver dominated them in the finale.  Would such a good manager like Mike Scioscia let the team be emotionally down with the Sox coming to town and owning them lately?  No way.  The Sox came in and took care of business.  They pitched, fielded, hit, and were managed by the best to 4 straight wins.  Tito correctly used the bullpen so everyone got the proper amount of work and rest without compromising the team's chances to win the games.  Sorry but it is time for the Tito detractors to at least be fair and admit when Tito pushes the right buttons.  The west coast trip was a prime example.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Did Anyone Notice the Excuse-Makers During the West Coast Trip?

In Response to Did Anyone Notice the Excuse-Makers During the West Coast Trip?:
    [QUOTE]I read posts that said The Angels were missing their best player.  I read posts that said the faced a team that was emotionally spent from playing Texas.  Wait a minute...I heard that The Angels manager runs rings around Tito.  This does not jive.  The Angels were 12-6 when the Sox came to town.  The Angels came from Texas where they won 2 of 3.  They pounded the Rangers in the middle game and Weaver dominated them in the finale.  Would such a good manager like Mike Scioscia let the team be emotionally down with the Sox coming to town and owning them lately?  No way.  The Sox came in and took care of business.  They pitched, fielded, hit, and were managed by the best to 4 straight wins.  Tito correctly used the bullpen so everyone got the proper amount of work and rest without compromising the team's chances to win the games.  Sorry but it is time for the Tito detractors to at least be fair and admit when Tito pushes the right buttons.  The west coast trip was a prime example.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Didn't hurt that the Angels played lousy baseball either.
    Let's hope the day off doesn't cool off the RS in Baltimore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

One source gives the Red Sox a 26.2 percent change of advancing to the postseason. That's a significant improvement over 10 days ago.

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp?sn=2011

The Red Sox probably are neither as bad as they looked the first 12 games nor as good as they've looked the past nine games (although I suspect they're closer to the latter).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Wow, hill, that is pretty low.  Baseball Prospectus has them at 86.6% (the Yankees are at 86.8%). 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

In Response to Re: Did Anyone Notice the Excuse-Makers During the West Coast Trip?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Did Anyone Notice the Excuse-Makers During the West Coast Trip? : Didn't hurt that the Angels played lousy baseball either. Let's hope the day off doesn't cool off the RS in Baltimore.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I can recall one game where the Angels played poor defense but why are you convinced that they played lousy baseball instead of Boston playing superior baseball?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

I agree, good thing tito didn't have to make any in game decisions or the results would have been different. But all in all a great WC trip. Now if they can only keep Baltimore in their funk. Problem is the they rolled over for the yunkees.

In Response to Re: Did Anyone Notice the Excuse-Makers During the West Coast Trip?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Did Anyone Notice the Excuse-Makers During the West Coast Trip? : Didn't hurt that the Angels played lousy baseball either. Let's hope the day off doesn't cool off the RS in Baltimore.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

LAA played lousey?????
    Seems when they win the other team played bad.
    When the RS win it is not because of Francona.

It is just the way it is with many RS fans in RS land

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

All my Philly friends used to say that the Sox were DOOMED because they hired Tito.  I said they were a talented team prior to his arrival and just needed to get over the hump.  I was told that it did not matter, Tito was a team killer and would ruin any chance of the Sox making it to the post season.  Fast forward to now and the haters on the other side say the Sox make it because they are so talented and despite Tito.  Everyone looks to revise history to suit their needs. Look at the Phillies roster from 1997-2000.  They had no players...especially compared to the Mets and the Braves.  Yet Philly fans scapegoat Tito to this day instead of saying "You know what?  My team really suked!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Jim,

Remarkable.

To play an old saw, the Sox - and Tito - can't win for losing.  At lesat with these fellas you mentioned.

Texas was blasting the AL ... and LAA just took them down, so as to be in the front of a tougher AL West than has existed for a long time (apparently...)

An we come to town and not win the series but sweep it ....

Starters throw two shut outs. 

Crawford begins to hit.

Lowery is torrid.

Adrian starts to heat up.

And the Angels are tripping over their halos.... not the Sox are winning by playing well.

Durn.

Know what this reminds me of?  Jim Lonborg in '67.  He was what, 22-6 with an ERA of 3.22 ... (from memory, so I may be off ...) and all I heard from crusty old naybobs was, "Yeah, he didn't pitch that well.  The Sox scored a lot of runs for him, that's all."

The same guys pointed out that Jim wasn't any Denny McLain .... hindsight and player coveting became a rule of thought that surely produced eternal failure ... no matter how well any one on the Sox played. 

Same guys pointed out that the winning pct. of the '67 Sox was the worst since... when ever ...

And these were SOX FANS!!!

I admit, at 11, that seemed like such a downer.  They had NO JOY in their team because they saw it as an inferior product.  Good God, I thought, what do you have to do???? 

SO I said, forget them - or something similar - and enjoyed the marvels.

Note to Tito:  Is it possible for you to wanlge it so our guys are playing our opponents ONLY WHEN they are at their OPTIMUM, so when we kick their backsides - or just slip out of town with as many wins as possible - the team gets the credit for winning and playing well?

After all, wins only really count when we beat the other guys at his prime.

Right?

Unbelieveable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE] Note to Tito:  Is it possible for you to wanlge it so our guys are playing our opponents ONLY WHEN they are at their OPTIMUM, so when we kick their backsides - or just slip out of town with as many wins as possible - the team gets the credit for winning and playing well?    After all, wins only really count when we beat the other guys at his prime.    Right?   Unbelieveable.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

A very nice thought, but it's impossible for that to happen. 

Sox fandom 101 for you: 
    The Sox NEVER win a game because they played well.  It's always because the other team played poorly. 
    Conversely, the Sox never play well but don't win.  Any loss is determined to be because The Sox Suck.

The quality of the other team on any particular day is determined only by the final score.  If the other team loses it's because they played poorly.  If the other team wins it's because the Sox suck. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If the Angels played "bad baseball" did the fact Boston's pitching, which shut them down, have anything to do with it? Does defense not feel pressure when they know one mistake could be catastrophic?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

Tag team of alibiike and bosox-11.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]If the Angels played "bad baseball" did the fact Boston's pitching, which shut them down, have anything to do with it? Does defense not feel pressure when they know one mistake could be catastrophic?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

The Angels aren't that good imho, and we missed Weaver.

Having said that, if you sweep the local softball team 4 straight on the road, it's a real good showing.  And we did beat haren.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Was it game two of the series that the entire Angel's outfield looked like the bad news bears?  It was not their best showing.  Regardless, a four game sweep is (esp on a road trip) is very difficult.  Got to give the Red Sox credit for capitalizing on the other team's mistakes, which they were not doing earlier in the season.  Plus, as previously mentioned, the Red Sox pitching was very good.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

Well I read all of the New England papers and other media sources and not one of them said that we swept the LA because they were a lousy team. Who knows maybe Allibike and Bosox-11 are more astute than all of those learned journalists.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

A four-game sweep on the road is phenomenal esp when you consider the Sox poor start. Stop trying to analyze who pitched for the Angels, how their outfield looked, how good they are, etc.

This is the one difference between Sox and Yanks fans- if the other team makes 5 errors and the Yanks win the Yanks fans call it karma, pride, pinstripes, etc. Sox fans (still holding onto the Charlie Brown mentality) take credit away from the Sox players/managers. Just enjoy the wins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

[QUOTE]A four-game sweep on the road is phenomenal esp when you consider the Sox poor start. Stop trying to analyze who pitched for the Angels, how their outfield looked, how good they are, etc. This is the one difference between Sox and Yanks fans- if the other team makes 5 errors and the Yanks win the Yanks fans call it karma, pride, pinstripes, etc. Sox fans (still holding onto the Charlie Brown mentality) take credit away from the Sox players/managers. Just enjoy the wins.
    Posted by Wolfpack13[/QUOTE]

Yes, we will stop this discussion immediately, because you said so.

P.S. Making sweeping generalizations about Yankee fans vs. Red Sox fans, as if we can all be neatly lumped together and categorized, ruins your credibility.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Anyone Notice the Excuse-Makers During the West Coast Trip? : Yes, we will stop this discussion immediately, because you said so. P.S. Making sweeping generalizations about Yankee fans vs. Red Sox fans, as if we can all be neatly lumped together and categorized, ruins your credibility.  
    Posted by kt888[/QUOTE]

You prefer to go with the generalizations of Bosox-11. Have you read his posts in recent weeks?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Anyone Notice the Excuse-Makers During the West Coast Trip? : You prefer to go with the generalizations of Bosox-11. Have you read his posts in recent weeks?  
    Posted by Natick-Ned[/QUOTE]

No, I have not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Anyone Notice the Excuse-Makers During the West Coast Trip? : No, I have not.
    Posted by kt888[/QUOTE]

OK, then I'll fill you in. He comes to this forum and bashes Terry Francoma incessantly. Tito is always wrong on every decision no matter what. That sounds like a gross generalization to me. He got banned under two other monikers where he played the same game for the last two years.  Most of the forum is aware of him so you should be to.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Anyone Notice the Excuse-Makers During the West Coast Trip? : Yes, we will stop this discussion immediately, because you said so. P.S. Making sweeping generalizations about Yankee fans vs. Red Sox fans, as if we can all be neatly lumped together and categorized, ruins your credibility.  
    Posted by kt888[/QUOTE]

Having lived in Northern NJ for my entire life and knowing as many Yankee fans as I do, the sweeping generalization has some merit.  The friends of mine laugh at Sox fans who bash the team.  They say the Sox are the team they worry about...Period.  They expect Boston to make a huge run and worry that they have not pulled away creating distance in anticipation of that run.  All talk about Tito being a horrible manager gets an inquisitive "what is wrong with Sox fans" look every time.

Sections
Shortcuts