Did Anyone Notice?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Did Anyone Notice?

In 2011, I was excited to hear that Curt Young would be the Red Sox pitching coach.  But after one year, Young went back to Oakland and the A's pitching staff is now one of the best in all of baseball (despite the A's trading away their top two starters).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59 comment:

Here's my latest specific offers:

I really like Brett Anderson this winter, and think he can be pried away from Oakland. They can barely even afford this (esp in 2014 and beyond): 

13:$5.5M, 14:$8M club option ($1.5M buyout),15:$12M club option ($1.5M buyout) 

I'd offer Lava, Doubront, Melancon and Aviles.
    (They need a catcher and SS)

I'd even go as far as, Salty, Doubront, Iggy and Melancon.
    If they said no, I'd try Lava, Iggy, Melancon and Atchison.

I'd also try hard for Gallardo from the Brewers. I'd offer Ellsbury, Aceves, Melancon & Aviles for Yovani.
    (They need pitching, so maybe we need to give up Ellsbury, Doubront, Aceves & Melancon to get him.)

13:$7.75M, 14:$11.25M, 15:$13M club option ($0.6M buyout) 

I think you're going to need a premier prospect + for Anderson.  I think the A's would be looking for Boegarts ++.  The contracts and age are different, but Pineda fetched Montero last year, and I think Anderson is better than Pineda.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

In 2011, I was excited to hear that Curt Young would be the Red Sox pitching coach.  But after one year, Young went back to Oakland and the A's pitching staff is now one of the best in all of baseball (despite the A's trading away their top two starters).

Young's detractors point out that the A's benefit from a great pitcher's park.  The team ERA the last few years has consistently been a full run better at home than on the road. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I really like Brett Anderson this winter, and think he can be pried away from Oakland. They can barely even afford this (esp in 2014 and beyond): 

I'd also try hard for Gallardo from the Brewers. I'd offer Ellsbury, Aceves, Melancon & Aviles for Yovani.
    (They need pitching, so maybe we need to give up Ellsbury, Doubront, Aceves & Melancon to get him.)

I think you're going to need a premier prospect + for Anderson.  I think the A's would be looking for Boegarts ++.  The contracts and age are different, but Pineda fetched Montero last year, and I think Anderson is better than Pineda.

Pineda had 5 years of team control, 2 of which were pre-arb years. Anderson has 3 years at an escallating cost on a team that often trades away these types of players. Pineda  may not even make what Anderson makes in 2014 in all his 5 years combined.

Huge difference.

Normally, I would say Oakland would want top prospects who come at low cost with several pre-arb years left, but they may be in a win now mode, and think 2-3 ML ready players at relatively low arb costs could put them over the top next year. I'm sure they would like Bogaerts as well, or even Lava.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Young's detractors point out that the A's benefit from a great pitcher's park.  The team ERA the last few years has consistently been a full run better at home than on the road. 

One note on Brett Anderson:
    Career Home/Away ERA: 3.55/3.50

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

James Loney is Tony Clark without power, but I can always say that I saw Loney hit a home run off a Cy Young Award winner. You can't take that away from James...Actually, he's Doug Mientkiewicz, but not as good defensively.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[/QUOTE]

Pineda had 5 years of team control, 2 of which were pre-arb years. Anderson has 3 years at an escallating cost on a team that often trades away these types of players. Pineda  may not even make what Anderson makes in 2014 in all his 5 years combined.

Huge difference.

Normally, I would say Oakland would want top prospects who come at low cost with several pre-arb years left, but they may be in a win now mode, and think 2-3 ML ready players at relatively low arb costs could put them over the top next year. I'm sure they would like Bogaerts as well, or even Lava.

[/QUOTE]

I think some of you may be giving up on Doubront too quickly.  He has never pitched this many innings as a starter and hasn't exactly had a veteran catcher to help him out except for Kelly.  I think the Sox need Lav or/and or Salty to become leaders next season, not only behind the plate but offensively.  Otherwise try and pry a Y. Molina or possibly McCann type away if possible.  McCann has had an off year but I think he would do well in Boston.

Our pitching problems don't just stop at the pitcher.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

By wanting a Brett Anderson type over Doubront is not "giving up" on anyone, it is trying to trade a bunch ofgood  talent(package) for one that is better... hopefully, much much better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Doubront will get better, not worse. He's young. I"m worried about Morales. I can't figure him out. He's got electric stuff, but always seems to be erratic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

crazed, I've been a Brian McCann fan forever. If he was the Sox catcher tomorrow, I'd be ecstatic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doubront's ERA is now over 5.00. His WHIP is nearing 1.500.

Guess what?

We now have 5 of our top 6 starters by GS'd with ERAs over 5.00.

Lester      5.01
    Doubrnot 5.03
    Beckett    5.23
    D Bard     5.30
    A Cook     5.35

Even Buch is at 4.50. (Morales is at 4.14 as a starter in 9 starts)
    Dice-K is at 5.10
    Stewart 27.00

All starters: 5.00  1.383 WHIP before tonight.

The only 2 starters under a 1.322 WHIP are Morales and Dice-K.

Update: now, Dice-K is at 6.10  1.455

All starters:  5.08 / 1.395

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

poor Dice-K...the guy just can't put it together for 2 straight starts. Actually, isnt' that almost the Sox season in a nutshell? Other than Clay, how many pitchers have gone from great to bad in 30 seconds. It's sad.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

By wanting a Brett Anderson type over Doubront is not "giving up" on anyone, it is trying to trade a bunch ofgood  talent(package) for one that is better... hopefully, much much better.

I'm all for getting better moon and I'm sure our FO wants the same ASAP.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to dannycater comment:

crazed, I've been a Brian McCann fan forever. If he was the Sox catcher tomorrow, I'd be ecstatic.

McCann has always been on my wish list too DC and now might be a good time but I'm not sure if they have anyone behind him on the farm who could step in.  We would be a different club with better pitching and a more well rounded catcher.  Hopefully Lav or Salty can fill that role sooner rather than later.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The return of John Lackey in 2013 scares me. 

The Red Sox need to send spies to Oakland and see how they are able to develop great pitchers.  LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No, there have been no specifics. And I always give specifics in names, contracts and players. I name the blocked prospects, but don't keep doing over it over for idiots like you to figure out. 

My "specifics" are all over this site, starting years ago. You even argued with many of them when I made my specific suggested trades or signings. Did you forget my specific CC for Zito and Romo trade you blasted just weeks ago?

How about my Papi offer you called me a racist for offering, then went lower than me just weks later? Remember that?

Last winter I gave specific numbers on what I would offer Ross, Edwin Jackson or Paul Maholm. I gave several suggestions on trades for Gavin Floyd, Wandy Rodriguez and others that you commented on at the time. Now, you pretend I never made any specific suggestions? Stop clowing around and be truthful for once.

We now have specifics on the starting pitchers Moon wants for 2013, but we have no specifics on what he wants the Red Sox to pay in money and/or players. Typical.

Are you blind? Look just above a few posts: I listed specific players I would trade for Brett Anderson and Yovani Gallardo. Please stop the lies.

He as specific on Wakefield's 2012 contract offer....

I thought you just said "no, there have been no specifics..."  Try and be consistent.

No, I haven't mentioned any specific dollar amounts for 2013 FAs yet, because the list is not complete yet, but I will say, your idea of offering somewhat decent starters $1M for 1 year is useless and totally realistic. All of the guys you mentioned $1M offers to last year signed for $4M or more. It allows you to walk the fence, like always, and if your guy does well, you say" see, I told you we should sign him", but if he does poorly, you say, "see, I told you he wasn't worth more than $1M".

I will say right now, but reserve the right to modify my offer, or withdraw it if an injury occurs or someone better is not given the option... I'd offer this:

If Ludwick is not a FA or if he turns down $25M/3, I'd offer Cody Ross   $14M/2 or $19M/3

Brandon McCarthy  $34M/4  or  $27M/3

If he says no...

Shaun Marcum  $15M/2 or $8M/1

If no...

A Sanchez  $14M/2 or $7.5M/1

I have to think about it some more, but if we can't get any of these pitchers, I might consider offering short-term contracts to...
    E Jackson
    Joe Saunders
    Kyle Lohse

Who are your $1M offers going to be this year?

While I recognize the guys I mentioned might sign for more, they won't sign for 300% more like your offers last year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I would avoid giving one of our "killer Bs" for Anderson, but might part with Brentz, Salty, Aviles and Melancon or even Brentz, Lava, & Aviles.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Buch looked great again today. Some tough luck hits, an error and we find a way to lose again.

Only 6 teams have more losses than the Sox, and we are 4 losses away from having just 3 teams worse. It's not unrealistic to think we may get the #4 draft pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Only 6 teams have more losses than the Sox, and we are 4 losses away from having just 3 teams worse. It's not unrealistic to think we may get the #4 draft pick.

I hope Cherington is up to the task of identifying good young talent.....I have my doubts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Athletics have a younger and more highly regarded catcher in Derek Norris and younger and more highly regarded shortstops in Cliff Pennington and Stephen Drew.

The high-flying A's can certainly afford at least one more year of Brett Anderson. In the unlikely event Oakland makes Anderson available, the offers will be fare better than Ryan Lavarnway, Felix Doubront, Mark Melancon and Mike Aviles.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The A will not pay Drew $10M in 2013. (mutual option w $1.35M buyout)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Also, is it any wonder that BV's pitching coach has done nothing to help the current staff, but that McClure actually made a difference with both Clay and Doubront...no? Well, maybe  McClure wasn't worth being fired for...But keep the manager who said this gem; "That's Alfredo being Alfredo and Pedroia being a baseball player." Sounds like he just said Aceves is a joke in comparison to Dustin. Pathetic manager, fire the SOB...fire him 4 months ago like I said instead of watching this Circus Act of minor leaguers...

Is that all you know? Do you have anything of value to share on this forum other than the hate you have for Bobby Valentine?
    We get it. You want him gone. Move on to another topic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Sox need a #1, they dont have anyone on this staff that could compare to like a Verlander.

Yes, they do need a #1, but no one has someone to compare to Verlander.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Getting 2 top two-slot starters would go a long way as well.

Sections
Shortcuts