1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Did Ben put too much faith in his starters?

In response to BeckettJosh's comment:

He told the media in the winter that he believed that the top of the rotation was solid. He had complete faith in Lester and Buchholtz. Thus he didn't make any free agent signings or trades. He did say that starting pitching depth is very important. He signed Dempster to address that need. Now the question is whether this team can go deep in the playoffs by trading for a closer or front of the rotation starter by giving up some of the very talented prospects. Or should he consider this a bridge year and wait for the prospects to mature and bring them up when their ready.

You got the question wrong. We aren't going "deep in the playoffs" at all. The question is if we can even make a run AT the playoffs. Its a rebuilding year, not a bridge year. Look at the current pitching stats.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ben tried to keep us competitive while we waited for some youth to make a splash. I thought he tried to play it both ways and risked missing both goals (1- win this year/ 2- build to win in 2014 or 2015 and beyond).

He seems to have done well on goal number 1 so far, without really hurting goal number 2. I had hoped he'd have added onto what he did with the Dodger trade by trying to add more up and coming young players and prospects to the team, but I'm not going to argue with Ben's success so far. This team has done way better than I expected, but we still have the two glaring holes we've had basically since Manny and Pedro/Schill left.

1) We need a real ace, or at least a top of rotation durable starter.

2) We need a big RH'd bat for the middle of our line-up that hits Lefties and righties very well.

It's not easy to get either of these roles filled without mortgaging some other aspect of the team. I get that. I wasn't impressed with last winters FA class. I did like J Upton as a trade target, but that ship has sailed.

Ben needs to be given a longer look, before anyone goes off on him. His hands were tied with the whole coaching staff fiasco thing last year, but with the Dodger deal, this team became his. It hasn't really been a full year since that trrade, so give the guy a break.

What he does at this dealine might be a defining moment in his GM career. No matter what he does, my guess is half the posters here will not like it.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ben no doubt put too much faith into his starters, buchholz has been great, but continues to have health problems, lester has fell off a cliff and is pitching like a #5, lackey has been better than expected and has been our #2 starter, dempster has been so-so, average #4 starter, and doubront has shown flashes of dominance but has not been consistant at all and rarely pitches deep into games. we need a top of the rotation starter big time. the guy to go for at the deadline is yovani gallardo, good contract, young and can be an ace. matt garza should be plan b. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think Garza is much better than anyone we have now.

Gallardo's WHIP numbers scare me, but he does have upside potential.

I would not give the farm and most of our cap space for C Lee. 

There is no magic bullet out there this deadline, in term of finding that ellusive ace.

I'd like to see us keep looking to the future, but if we can plug a hole without costing us a major young player or two, then sure. I'd say the likely holes to fill at this deadline are a pen arm or a RH'd bat that plays 3B or OF.

If it is a 2 month rental, I hope we don't give too much.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Ben tried to keep us competitive while we waited for some youth to make a splash. I thought he tried to play it both ways and risked missing both goals (1- win this year/ 2- build to win in 2014 or 2015 and beyond).

He seems to have done well on goal number 1 so far, without really hurting goal number 2. I had hoped he'd have added onto what he did with the Dodger trade by trying to add more up and coming young players and prospects to the team, but I'm not going to argue with Ben's success so far. This team has done way better than I expected, but we still have the two glaring holes we've had basically since Manny and Pedro/Schill left.

2) We need a big RH'd bat for the middle of our line-up that hits Lefties and righties very well.

It's not easy to get either of these roles filled without mortgaging some other aspect of the team. I get that. I wasn't impressed with last winters FA class. I did like J Upton as a trade target, but that ship has sailed.

Ben needs to be given a longer look, before anyone goes off on him. His hands were tied with the whole coaching staff fiasco thing last year, but with the Dodger deal, this team became his. It hasn't really been a full year since that trrade, so give the guy a break.

What he does at this dealine might be a defining moment in his GM career. No matter what he does, my guess is half the posters here will not like it.

Sox4ever

His goal was to be competetive this year, thus far they have achieved that goal as they are still 2 games up in the ALE.

They have also preserved the future by not selling off valuable prospects, so both goals have been successful so far.

It isnt even the trade deadline yet, and I agree that some here shouldnt be starting the bashing ben threads. This is still a rebuilding year, Ive said that all year. The only difference is a team with a bigger payroll rebuilds a little differently that low budget teams. Bens not done yet. They set aside money within the budget to add a piece or 2 if needed.

The first 3.5 months of a season are to evaluate what you have, and then fill those needs at the deadline to for the final run at the playoffs. Injuries, underperformance  and other unexpected things can happen

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Sox4ever

His goal was to be competetive this year, thus far they have achieved that goal as they are still 2 games up in the ALE.

They have also preserved the future by not selling off valuable prospects, so both goals have been successful so far.

It isnt even the trade deadline yet, and I agree that some here shouldnt be starting the bashing ben threads. This is still a rebuilding year, Ive said that all year. The only difference is a team with a bigger payroll rebuilds a little differently that low budget teams. Bens not done yet. They set aside money within the budget to add a piece or 2 if needed.

The first 3.5 months of a season are to evaluate what you have, and then fill those needs at the deadline to for the final run at the playoffs. Injuries, underperformance  and other unexpected things can happen

Yes, they "preserved the future", but did not add to it since the Dodger trade. That was my point. It was not meant to be a slam on Ben. Counting the Dodger deal, he has built up the future since taking over control, as well as built a competitive team for 2013. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Sox4ever

Yes, they "preserved the future", but did not add to it since the Dodger trade. That was my point. It was not meant to be a slam on Ben. Counting the Dodger deal, he has built up the future since taking over control, as well as built a competitive team for 2013. 

I didnt take it as a slam. I knew what you meant.

Sections
Shortcuts